ImageImageImage

Welcome to Virtual Boston, Yam Madar!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Re: Welcome to Virtual Boston, Yam Madar! 

Post#141 » by Half-Full » Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:32 pm

Looking forward to Yam coming over. He looks like he is ready right now.
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,622

Post#142 » by jirrit » Sat Apr 3, 2021 7:16 am

Didnt know he plays in the same team as James Young.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#143 » by return2glory » Sat Apr 3, 2021 2:16 pm

He is starting to look good. Jumper looks nice. Looks like a pretty good passer and defensive player. His crossover and overall handles looks good too.

Thanks for the update videos, guys.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#144 » by 31to6 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 4:53 pm

At some point, he is guaranteed to become better than Rondo.

Not sure how many years from now that is, or if it will make him NBA viable. But he’s a likable prospect!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#145 » by Justin33 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:45 am

4/5/21
;ab_channel=TomaszKordylewski
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#146 » by Hal14 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:52 pm

I've been watching a lot of film of Madar and like what I see.

I think all he needs to is:

a) Get strong/bulk up a little more
b) Work on cutting down turnovers a little
c) Just keep getting more reps, more experience and try testing himself against better competition. Israel is the 5th ranked league in Europe though..

He's 20 now, and he may be ready to come over and help the Celtics next season at age 21.

We'll see, but he could turn out to be Tony Parker with better defense and more range on his shot.

April 11 vs Ironi Nahariya
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#147 » by cloverleaf » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:06 pm

The tricky thing is we've heard Stevens talk about how difficult it is to play two shorties now at the same time (Kemba and/or Pritchard and/or (previously) Teague. With Smart they already have three solids for the PG position next season (as it is I can't imagine Tremont back again, even on a two-way), and of them Kemba and Pritchard are both small. So I can't see Brad looking forward to another year with three smurfs--even with Waters gone.

Is Yam still under contract for another year with his Israeli team? Could Boston still retain his rights after that? Size/strength and his shot were the two biggest questions for Yam, and he seems to be on track to answer the latter. But another year to build strength and solidify his game and dominance where he is maybe wouldn't hurt--especially with Kemba more likely gone after another year here.
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#148 » by Half-Full » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:34 pm

cloverleaf wrote:The tricky thing is we've heard Stevens talk about how difficult it is to play two shorties now at the same time (Kemba and/or Pritchard and/or (previously) Teague. With Smart they already have three solids for the PG position next season (as it is I can't imagine Tremont back again, even on a two-way), and of them Kemba and Pritchard are both small. So I can't see Brad looking forward to another year with three smurfs--even with Waters gone.

Yam Madar is 6' 3", the same height as Marcus Smart, and also the average height of an NBA point guard. He's not really a smurf. You do have a point, though, about the PG position being filled, at least for now. If the Celtics decide to move Kemba... In any case, Yam is playing well, and looks to be ready. Will we see him for Summer League or training camp? It would be nice to see him matched up against NBA talent.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#149 » by playa-hater » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:34 pm

31to6 wrote:At some point, he is guaranteed to become better than Rondo.

Not sure how many years from now that is, or if it will make him NBA viable. But he’s a likable prospect!

:o :D
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#150 » by playa-hater » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:36 pm

Hal14 wrote:I've been watching a lot of film of Madar and like what I see.

I think all he needs to is:

a) Get strong/bulk up a little more
b) Work on cutting down turnovers a little
c) Just keep getting more reps, more experience and try testing himself against better competition. Israel is the 5th ranked league in Europe though..

He's 20 now, and he may be ready to come over and help the Celtics next season at age 21.

We'll see, but he could turn out to be Tony Parker with better defense and more range on his shot.

April 11 vs Ironi Nahariya

I like that he has passing flair. that can be contagious. and we could use some of that. Dare I say the Israeli Melo :D
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#151 » by cloverleaf » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:55 pm

Half-Full wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:The tricky thing is we've heard Stevens talk about how difficult it is to play two shorties now at the same time (Kemba and/or Pritchard and/or (previously) Teague. With Smart they already have three solids for the PG position next season (as it is I can't imagine Tremont back again, even on a two-way), and of them Kemba and Pritchard are both small. So I can't see Brad looking forward to another year with three smurfs--even with Waters gone.

Yam Madar is 6' 3", the same height as Marcus Smart, and also the average height of an NBA point guard. He's not really a smurf. You do have a point, though, about the PG position being filled, at least for now. If the Celtics decide to move Kemba... In any case, Yam is playing well, and looks to be ready. Will we see him for Summer League or training camp? It would be nice to see him matched up against NBA talent.

Unfortunately he's so slight that he's just an elongated smurf at this point. Will there be a SL?
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#152 » by cloverleaf » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:58 pm

playa-hater wrote:

It is apparently easy to forget that Rondo was an AS for four years straight for the C's--and more likely than not to make the HoF.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,973

Post#153 » by jfs1000d » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:04 pm

Outside of us obsessing, any news on if we are going to bring him over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#154 » by 31to6 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:10 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
playa-hater wrote:

It is apparently easy to forget that Rondo was an AS for four years straight for the C's--and more likely than not to make the HoF.

I apologize for not being clear: I meant that at some point, Yam will become better than CURRENT Rondo. It might be in five years. But given that a trade deadline never passes without “BRING JOHNNY RONDO HOME” posts, it is something to look forward to.

I do not expect Madar to ever compete with Prime Rondo. Nor do I expect Rondo to make the HOF, though BBref’s formula is optimistic on his chances (https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/hof_prob.html)

But someone just said they think Yam could be Tony Parker with better defense and range, or the Israeli Melo Ball, so I understand how my post was easy to misconstrue.

I like him as a prospect. Hope he pans out for us.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#155 » by Scoonie » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:11 pm

I'd like to see him develop in Israel or Europe for another year or two before bringing him over. I like his potential, but I think he's going to be physically overwhelmed in the NBA.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#156 » by Hal14 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:50 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Half-Full wrote:

Unfortunately he's so slight that he's just an elongated smurf at this point. Will there be a SL?

Take a look at this:

3:04 opposing big drives the lane, Madar comes over from help size and blocks his shot attempt
3:16 swats away a 3 point shot attempt. Could any of our current 6'3" and under guys make a play like that? I don't know if I've ever seen Smart block a 3 point attempt..obviously Smart has made some blocks, but you really need to get up high to block a 3 point shooter at the top of his jump
3:22 help side block on opposing big in transition

Still think he's a smurf?
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,782

Post#157 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:02 pm

He's a good prospect. Good stroke, good passer (very good at post entry passes from the highlights I've watched) quick feet on defense, seems to understand the game. If there is a Summer league next year, the Celtics should bring him over.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#158 » by cloverleaf » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:18 pm

Hal14 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Half-Full wrote:

Take a look at this:

3:04 opposing big drives the lane, Madar comes over from help size and blocks his shot attempt
3:16 swats away a 3 point shot attempt. Could any of our current 6'3" and under guys make a play like that? I don't know if I've ever seen Smart block a 3 point attempt..obviously Smart has made some blocks, but you really need to get up high to block a 3 point shooter at the top of his jump

Take a look at what?
Hal14
RealGM

Post#159 » by Hal14 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:25 pm

Scoonie wrote:I'd like to see him develop in Israel or Europe for another year or two before bringing him over. I like his potential, but I think he's going to be physically overwhelmed in the NBA.

You might be right, but:

a) From the footage I've seen, I haven't seen him struggle on either end of the floor when going against bigger/stronger guys, in fact I've seen a few clips where he blocks or steals the ball from guys who are bigger/stronger than him so his smaller frame hasn't appeared to hold him back much

b) Steve Nash, Steph Curry, Rondo, Tony Parker are all PGs who were seen as frail when they came into the league and turned out ok. Parker came over to the Spurs from overseas when he was 19. If we bring Madar over next season, he'll be 21.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#160 » by Hal14 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:26 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Take a look at this:

Take a look at what?

My bad, I didn't realize I forgot to put the link in.

Just edited my other post..

Return to Boston Celtics