ImageImage

2021 NBA Draft - Spoilers OK

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,432

Re: 2021 NBA Draft Scouting 

Post#121 » by emunney » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:05 pm

M-C-G wrote:So I learned something new this year, which is you can apparently sign your second rounders using part of the MLE, which would allow you more than two years. Is this something any team has implemented as a strategy on a consistent basis? As in use a part of your MLE every to sign guys from the second, or from the G league like Diakite to three year deals? Seems like a good idea if you find someone of value and pretty low risk if you are wrong about them.

Yep, most teams do this. Historically, we've done it pretty often. We should have done it this year but we decided to spend the whole MLE on vets (DJA and Forbes).
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,357

Post#122 » by M-C-G » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:09 pm

emunney wrote:
M-C-G wrote:So I learned something new this year, which is you can apparently sign your second rounders using part of the MLE, which would allow you more than two years. Is this something any team has implemented as a strategy on a consistent basis? As in use a part of your MLE every to sign guys from the second, or from the G league like Diakite to three year deals? Seems like a good idea if you find someone of value and pretty low risk if you are wrong about them.

Yep, most teams do this. Historically, we've done it pretty often. We should have done it this year but we decided to spend the whole MLE on vets (DJA and Forbes).

Yeah, I think I would be a lot happier with both those guys on three year deals, because it seems Bud isn't going to give many rookies any burn. If that is the case, using MLE to give you a three year deal seems like a better strategy if you feel strongly about the guy.
emunney
RealGM

Post#123 » by emunney » Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:25 pm

M-C-G wrote:
emunney wrote:

Yeah, I think I would be a lot happier with both those guys on three year deals, because it seems Bud isn't going to give many rookies any burn. If that is the case, using MLE to give you a three year deal seems like a better strategy if you feel strongly about the guy.

Most important thing is that you get full bird rights after 3 years, and are not restricted in matching any contract even if it puts you over the apron, so if you really hit a home run, you get to keep him. With a two year deal, you've got the Arenas provision that allows you to keep anybody *unless it puts you over the hard cap*, which for a team like us (huge amounts of salary committed to 3 really important players) really limits the upside of 2nd rounders, rare as those cases may be.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,748

Post#124 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:57 pm

Read on Twitter
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,633

Post#125 » by machu46 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:32 pm

machu46 wrote:
emunney wrote:
Ruzious wrote:He's one helluva college player. Don't know if he's got the strength and athleticism for the NBA.

On the other hand, I'd take Richmond if he comes out. Lots to like about him as a pro prospect. (I think this is who machu was talking about in the below the video part.)

Correct, really excited to see how he develops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really an update on him as a prospect, but there's a lot of fear among the SU program that Kadary will be transferring and I'm just letting you all know now I will be terribly depressed.

Edit: officially transferring :(
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#126 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:36 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:- Jared Butler is legit and gives me some pretty serious Jrue Holiday vibes.

- Early "do not want" candidate is Brandon Boston. Don't care about the athleticism or physical tools. He's one of the most awkward, uncoordinated basketball players I've ever seen.

- I'm back on the Charles Bassey train. Dude should be going higher than mid-2nd round in mocks.

Butler's stock has gone down a bit in the Tournament - he's played just ok - while Mitchell seems to have shot past him. He hasn't looked athletic - which is what internet scouts look at most. I can see him being there when our high 2nd hits - I'd still take him - love his all-around game and leadership.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
emunney
RealGM

Post#127 » by emunney » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:38 pm

Yeah Butler is a very good all around player who should be at or near the top of the list in the early 2nd.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,940

Post#128 » by midranger » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:41 am

Does Isaiah Mobley have a spot in the league in a Tayshuan Price kind of way?
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
emunney
RealGM

Post#129 » by emunney » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:32 pm

midranger wrote:Does Isaiah Mobley have a spot in the league in a Tayshuan Price kind of way?

Same question but Trey Murphy.
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,499

Post#130 » by ShootingtheJ » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:35 pm

emunney wrote:

Another option to sign then to 3 or 4 year deals is to use cap space, which also happens enough, especially with rebuilding teams.
Portugal Bucks
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#131 » by Portugal Bucks » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:02 pm

As a patriot I just ask for Neemias Queta, the first portuguese player in NBA (will be)
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#132 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:49 pm

Portugal Bucks wrote:As a patriot I just ask for Neemias Queta, the first portuguese player in NBA (will be)

Yeah, wow is he long, and i like that he gets steals; blocks are a given with him. His feet aren't the quickest, but damn - he looks like a good defender. I like his chances in the NBA.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
emunney
RealGM

Post#133 » by emunney » Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:46 pm

Portugal Bucks wrote:As a patriot I just ask for Neemias Queta, the first portuguese player in NBA (will be)

Yeah, have been keeping an eye on him since he's been at USU. I like that he really seems to enjoy passing on top of his above the rim stuff at both ends. Worry about his knees.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#134 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:39 pm

emunney wrote:

Yeah, have been keeping an eye on him since he's been at USU. I like that he really seems to enjoy passing on top of his above the rim stuff at both ends. Worry about his knees.

I see what you mean about his knees - with that duck walk way he runs - but Patrick Ewing and a couple others who I can't remember now ran that same way and had long careers. Yeah, good passer.

Another big I'm hoping slides that low is Isaiah Jackson - the one player on Kentucky that was underrated. But I'm guessing he'll want a first round guarantee if he comes out.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 9,940

Post#135 » by midranger » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:54 pm

emunney wrote:
midranger wrote:Does Isaiah Mobley have a spot in the league in a Tayshuan Price kind of way?

Same question but Trey Murphy.

I see him more as a Troy Murphy type.

I’ll see myself out.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,365

Post#136 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Apr 1, 2021 3:51 pm

I'm not really sold that Queta has the footspeed or defensive versatility to be anything other than a situational big in the current NBA, but his highlight videos are fun as hell to watch.

I'm digging the international class this year, specifically in the late-1st/early-2nd, much more than last year's. I think Roko Prkacin is a guy a lot of mocks might be sleeping on as a high upside draft & stash dude.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#137 » by Ruzious » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:40 pm

Man, would it be nice to get Butler. The guy is a winner and leader. It was weird hearing people say he's an older prospect - he's just 20 and only 10 months older than Suggs. What a leader he is - made his 3's, all 6 of his FT's, 7 assists to no turnovers. And he really set the tone of the game early on. Rock solid on-court personality. Mitchell's the older prospect, and yet most seem to prefer him over Butler. Yeah, he's on the short side - at 6'3, but Buter (and Michell) is built strongly.
emunney
RealGM

Post#138 » by emunney » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:59 pm

Where do you guys have Abmas?
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,365

Post#139 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:18 pm

Yeah, both Butler and Mitchell are sure-fire 1st round guys for me, and that's even before they went off in the title game. If you can get either dude with a late-1st then that's a steal. I'm looking at Tre Mann and Ayayi as more realistic options where we're picking.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#140 » by Ruzious » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:13 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Yeah, both Butler and Mitchell are sure-fire 1st round guys for me, and that's even before they went off in the title game. If you can get either dude with a late-1st then that's a steal. I'm looking at Tre Mann and Ayayi as more realistic options where we're picking.

I don't know anything about Mann - gotta do some homework on him and Abmas. Ayayi is good, but he reminds me of Jerian Grant from Notre Dame - who seemed to be good at everything but ended up not quite good enough at anything. When they played together, I never would have guessed that Connaughton would make it and Grant wouldn't.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks