ImageImage

Jrue Agrees to 4/135-160 Extension

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,166

Re: Jrue Agrees to 4/160 Extension 

Post#301 » by raysbookclub » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:09 pm

Even apart from how the Bucks couldn't not sign him after what they traded to get him, this is a fair contract. He was definitely going to get something comparable or even higher from another team. He's a legit star player on both ends, great in the community, respected around the league. Yeah, would love it if he were 28 instead of 30 right now, but he'll be 34 when the contract ends, not terrible.

Just to compare, would you rather have Jrue on this extension or these guys on their current (non-expiring) contracts: John Wall ($41mil this year, same age as Jrue), Kemba Walker ($34mil, same age), Klay Thompson ($35mil, same age), Westbrook ($41mil, one year older), Chris Paul ($41 mil, five years older)? Hands down, I'd prefer Jrue on the extension to any of those.
Wonka
General Manager
And1: 4,709

Post#302 » by Wonka » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:09 pm

Some of y’all need to go take a walk. It’s going to be okay :lol:

EDIT: I imagine this being a conversation for awhile, but I honestly believe we have been blessed with the best possible guard we could’ve gotten to stay and be happy in Milwaukee. Winning cures all.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,460

Post#303 » by Matches Malone » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:13 pm

Wonka wrote:Image

For some reason I can’t post gifs but insert Aaron Paul awkwardly drinking water from Breaking Bad here. Some of y’all need to go take a walk. It’s going to be okay :lol:

Fixed. Sometimes you have to open the image in another tab to get the correct url that ends in .gif
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Wonka
General Manager
And1: 4,709

Post#304 » by Wonka » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:14 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Wonka wrote:Image

For some reason I can’t post gifs but insert Aaron Paul awkwardly drinking water from Breaking Bad here. Some of y’all need to go take a walk. It’s going to be okay :lol:

Fixed. Sometimes you have to open the image in another tab to get the correct url that ends in .gif

Thank you sir! Couldn’t get there on my phone for some reason. Appreciate it
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,000

Post#305 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:22 pm

raysbookclub wrote:Just to compare, would you rather have Jrue on this extension or these guys on their current (non-expiring) contracts: John Wall ($41mil this year, same age as Jrue), Kemba Walker ($34mil, same age), Klay Thompson ($35mil, same age), Westbrook ($41mil, one year older), Chris Paul ($41 mil, five years older)? Hands down, I'd prefer Jrue on the extension to any of those.

Would rather have Chris Paul, although the talk is he may opt out of his final year and that $41mm to get a larger long term deal.

For the other guys, they probably aren't great examples to cite, since they've all fallen apart with injuries and the contracts are a boat anchor. Jrue could be the same. When guards decline, it tends to go fast. You just don't know what year the decline hits.

I'm not complaining about Jrue's contract. But we've tied our fate to Middleton and Jrue. We need to win the title this year or next. Those final years of their respective deals will not be great IMHO.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,126

Post#306 » by DingleJerry » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:32 pm

Right, they will give this year and next and go for the title. Assuming they don't win it they then have to shake it up with a Mid or Jrue trade to get that true #2 go to type guy. First, in order to get the title Giannis needs but second in order to cash out on those contracts while they're still assets instead of paying to get out of them. If Giannis is going to be here more than 4-5 years there is going to have to be a re-shuffle around him at some point. If you don't win in the next two, might as well start it then.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,110

Post#307 » by JimmyTheKid » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:47 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:I've literally said that I've always thought Holiday was overrated, he's never been close to a Top-15 player in the league, am not exactly comfortable paying him $30+ million per year, and I would have said all that exact same **** about Kyle Lowry. That doesn't mean I'm gonna scoff at retaining him when the alternative is losing him in free agency for nothing.

Yep. The issue of whether you liked the trade and the issue of his contract extension are two different topics.

Since we've already purchased the Jrue House at a buyer's premium, I'm not going to simply walk away from it nine months later at a big loss. We're invested. Time to win a title.

Not really though. The two issues have always been connected as part of the same topic. And it couldn't have been any clearer the day we traded for him. Due to the size of the outgoing package :eyebrows: And it was discussed here thoroughly at the time of the trade. Because there is no way you make that deal unless you're absolutely certain he is or will be open to an extension. The only way the trade and extension could be viewed as "two different topics" is if one didn't fully understand and appreciate the impact Jrue makes on and off the court, and his perceived value around the league.

This is another one of those instances where you can't just basketballreference.com/search/JrueHoliday and conclude "trade bad extension bad." There isn't a stat for fit. Now we have three "stars" that don't need the ball in their hands to significantly impact the game. And hopefully a potential closer in Jrue Holiday who can bring back the Sam Cassell big balls dance after hitting a game winner in the Finals.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager

Post#308 » by JimmyTheKid » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:50 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
raysbookclub wrote:Just to compare, would you rather have Jrue on this extension or these guys on their current (non-expiring) contracts: John Wall ($41mil this year, same age as Jrue), Kemba Walker ($34mil, same age), Klay Thompson ($35mil, same age), Westbrook ($41mil, one year older), Chris Paul ($41 mil, five years older)? Hands down, I'd prefer Jrue on the extension to any of those.

Would rather have Chris Paul, although the talk is he may opt out of his final year and that $41mm to get a larger long term deal.

For the other guys, they probably aren't great examples to cite, since they've all fallen apart with injuries and the contracts are a boat anchor. Jrue could be the same. When guards decline, it tends to go fast. You just don't know what year the decline hits.

I'm not complaining about Jrue's contract. But we've tied our fate to Middleton and Jrue. We need to win the title this year or next. Those final years of their respective deals will not be great IMHO.

Its all about the postseason. I mean, its been about it but guys are under contract now. If we fail this postseason, you cannot use the pandemic as an excuse again. Bud has to go. If you fail next postseason, you have to move Middleton.
DingleJerry
RealGM
And1: 8,126

Post#309 » by DingleJerry » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:59 pm

I'd say they're connected issues when discussing the trade and whether to do it to begin with. Give a haul, and commit to a huge contract for a guy in his 30s? However, once the trade has happened already that is then in the rear view and now the extension is separated and you clearly just have to do it. One can easily say they'd have preferred not to do the trade, but also say that once it's done you have to resign him. I think they did well to keep it below max and especially without the 5th year.
Resident Lillard truther since 2015.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#310 » by Ruzious » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:01 pm

For the folks calling for Bud's head, who do you replace him with, and how do you know whoever you get will win a championship?

I know you can't possibly be assuming that an average coach is going to win a championship with the Bucks. Right?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,722

Post#311 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:04 pm

Yes Holiday is 30 but his game translates to older veteran status. Fundamentally sound, great handles, excellent defensive instincts without relying on all-world athleticism. He can post up smaller guards and knows how to use his physique to finish through contact. He's not necessarily jumping out of the gym over defenders and he doesn't have to.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
mke_design
Analyst
And1: 2,061

Post#312 » by mke_design » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:07 pm

Never forget your past

DavidDunn21 wrote:So please allow me to continue to be the scapegoat for our very rational fears, but just remember that I understand and forgive all of you.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager

Post#313 » by JimmyTheKid » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:10 pm

Ruzious wrote:For the folks calling for Bud's head, who do you replace him with, and how do you know whoever you get will win a championship?

I know you can't possibly be assuming that an average coach is going to win a championship with the Bucks. Right?

I'm not calling for Bud's head but if we lose in the second round of the playoffs or are humiliated in the ECF, I mean, where else is there to look? I could see the argument that you restructure the roster around a Middleton deal before you move on from Bud, but at some point you can't be the best, or one of the best, regular season teams in the league and continue to bow out pathetically in the playoffs without repercussions. That said, I would love nothing more than to win a title and extend Bud.
ShootingtheJ
Head Coach
And1: 4,560

Re: Jrue Agrees to 4/135-160 Extension 

Post#314 » by ShootingtheJ » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:36 pm

Funny thing about championship coaches is, they're rarely the top coaches. Tyron Lue and Frank Vogel?
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#315 » by M-C-G » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:38 pm

skones wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

Go find an argument elsewhere.

I can picture yourself thinking you were v smart and funny with the fist pump comment.

Ground you to dust with that one.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,000

Post#316 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:47 pm

ShootingtheJ wrote:Funny thing about championship coaches is, they're rarely the top coaches. Tyron Lue and Frank Vogel?

Rick Carlisle, Erik Spoelstra, Phil Jackson and Pop would like a word with you after the show.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#317 » by M-C-G » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:49 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
Ruzious wrote:For the folks calling for Bud's head, who do you replace him with, and how do you know whoever you get will win a championship?

I'm not calling for Bud's head but if we lose in the second round of the playoffs or are humiliated in the ECF, I mean, where else is there to look? I could see the argument that you restructure the roster around a Middleton deal before you move on from Bud, but at some point you can't be the best, or one of the best, regular season teams in the league and continue to bow out pathetically in the playoffs without repercussions. That said, I would love nothing more than to win a title and extend Bud.

This is where I am, although there are times I was watching games and probably posted to fire him immediately. I wanted to see how we were going to change up our offense and defense to be 'playoff ready' and avoid the major flaws of it come playoff time. I feel like on offense we certainly seem more active off ball, which is great and I don't think we have fully figured out how to use the pieces we have, so there is more upside yet.

On defense, having Jrue and Tucker certainly allows us to some different things. I think it might not be perfected by playoffs, but let's hope we think we know what will work so that we don't have to see a big pick and pop and make 10 wide open threes at the top of the key.

Not sure who I would replace him with, but I would take a long look at Darvin Ham first. He has been in the org long enough to know if we think going the continuity route with him and keeping most the staff in place is the best move.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 5,967

Post#318 » by Siefer » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:13 pm

A while back emunney noted that we have too many single-issue posters. Well, skones really took that to heart and became an every-issue poster.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#319 » by raferfenix » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:28 pm

There is much less risk of the Bucks getting burned badly by the picks and pick swaps we sent to the Pelicans now that Holiday is no longer an ending contract and the Bucks have extended Giannis.

Not that we would, but if we were to trade Holiday this offseason, I think we'd get more than what we ultimately dealt.

Bucks took a historic-level gamble that could have been franchise crippling. And it still might be if we get hit by serious injuries or if Giannis demands a trade soon Paul George-style. But early indications are it's paying off.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Post#320 » by skones » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:42 pm

M-C-G wrote:
Ground you to dust with that one.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks