ImageImageImageImage

Official Spec Thread: I guess now's the time to blow this dumpster fire up and bask in the glow!

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Re: Official Spec Thread: I guess now's the time to blow this dumpster fire up and bask in the glow! 

Post#681 » by RookieStar » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:48 pm

swarlesbarkley wrote:Chuma/JI/WCJ is basically a perfect front court for college Fultz. If he can get close to that and we add a playmaking/scoring 2 guard in the upcoming draft - consider me as excited as I was entering the 2010 season.

You got the college part right. Cuz aside from Chuma, our frontcourt has no outside threat. Thats fine in college but you get taken advantage off in the NBA.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,177

Re: Official Spec Thread: I guess now's the time to blow this dumpster fire up and bask in the glow! 

Post#682 » by cedric76 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 10:38 pm

RookieStar wrote:
swarlesbarkley wrote:Chuma/JI/WCJ is basically a perfect front court for college Fultz. If he can get close to that and we add a playmaking/scoring 2 guard in the upcoming draft - consider me as excited as I was entering the 2010 season.

You got the college part right. Cuz aside from Chuma, our frontcourt has no outside threat. Thats fine in college but you get taken advantage off in the NBA.

JI and wcj have range
Grayson or Monk? Bring the cheapest

unleash Jett next seaon
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#683 » by RookieStar » Mon Apr 5, 2021 10:59 pm

cedric76 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

JI and wcj have range

They can shoot from long distance yes, is it a high percentage though? Or will teams dare them to shoot?
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#684 » by Nyce_1 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 11:02 pm

RookieStar wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

JI and wcj have range

They can shoot from long distance yes, is it a high percentage though? Or will teams dare them to shoot?

They both can be good shooters. Nothing happens overnight. For all we know, JI may be a good shooter now (showed good flash in the bubble). WCJ will just take time; like Vooch.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#685 » by RookieStar » Mon Apr 5, 2021 11:28 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
cedric76 wrote:
JI and wcj have range

They both can be good shooters. Nothing happens overnight. For all we know, JI may be a good shooter now (showed good flash in the bubble). WCJ will just take time; like Vooch.

IF WCJ can get Vuc's 3pt range and to add to his already existing defensive ability... that player is an allstar. If that happens, I wonder how long that will take to develop.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#686 » by MagicFan101 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 11:58 pm

Skin wrote:Watching RJ Hampton go balls out against his old team reminded me of how soft we used to be and how things are finally starting to change. Yeah, he was wild, but he still made things happen that wouldn't have if he didn't hustle so hard.

Ironic how he was traded for AG because they both have the same mechanical feel to their games. RJ has a chance to make it if he stays aggressive. AG was built like a machine, but was too passive and soft in his head.

I didn’t actually read your post.

I’m just quoting to comment how damn randy the hypothetical lineup in your footer is making me ... and I don’t care.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#687 » by Skin » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:48 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
Skin wrote:Watching RJ Hampton go balls out against his old team reminded me of how soft we used to be and how things are finally starting to change. Yeah, he was wild, but he still made things happen that wouldn't have if he didn't hustle so hard.

Ironic how he was traded for AG because they both have the same mechanical feel to their games. RJ has a chance to make it if he stays aggressive. AG was built like a machine, but was too passive and soft in his head.

I’m just quoting to comment how damn randy the hypothetical lineup in your footer is making me ... and I don’t care.

I hope "randy" is a good thing! :D
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#688 » by MagicFan101 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:52 am

Skin wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

I hope "randy" is a good thing! :D

Austin Powers would be proud
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#689 » by fendilim » Tue Apr 6, 2021 8:21 am

I would not consider Fultz as a part of the future, at this point I think his progress is just a bonus.

Fultz looks really promising, but without a respectable 3 point shot, it will be difficult for him...
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#690 » by drsd » Tue Apr 6, 2021 10:19 am

Nyce_1 wrote:They can shoot from long distance yes, is it a high percentage though? Or will teams dare them to shoot?

They both can be good shooters. Nothing happens overnight. For all we know, JI may be a good shooter now (showed good flash in the bubble). WCJ will just take time; like Vooch.[/quote]

Most of the elite players are above average at the league's worst shot attempt: the 16-20 foot jumper.

EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#691 » by EAS Law » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:28 pm

fendilim wrote:I would not consider Fultz as a part of the future, at this point I think his progress is just a bonus.

Fultz looks really promising, but without a respectable 3 point shot, it will be difficult for him...

D Rose made it happen too... I think straight up shooting can be learned/trained. We only see Fultz for periods it seems, but he really is a lot better than even an above-average athlete, passer, and finisher. I think he has real promise.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#692 » by fendilim » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:58 pm

EAS Law wrote:
fendilim wrote:I would not consider Fultz as a part of the future, at this point I think his progress is just a bonus.

D Rose made it happen too... I think straight up shooting can be learned/trained. We only see Fultz for periods it seems, but he really is a lot better than even an above-average athlete, passer, and finisher. I think he has real promise.

Sorry, I meant as someone I would build around. He is just a bonus to me.

There's too much to consider with his shot. Its not even a normal shot to begin with, I dont know if his shooting form is even consistent and whether he really has control of the his shooting motion when he has to shoot from the 3 point range.
jonbob17
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#693 » by jonbob17 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:50 pm

I like what they are doing with Carter. With Chicago he was taking 0.7 threes a game, so far he is taking 1.6 a game here.

Surprised at Vuc since the trade, just 28% from distance. The close to 50% he was at toward the beginning of the season that had Magic fans running around thinking he stole Curry's magic seems like a distant memory. Of course if he can bang them at 38% or so going forward he's still golden.
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,768

Post#694 » by Audi » Tue Apr 6, 2021 8:17 pm

The ultimate irony would be if Orl suddenly becomes known as a place that develops young talent.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#695 » by MoMM » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:46 pm

Audi wrote:The ultimate irony would be if Orl suddenly becomes known as a place that develops young talent.

As a farm for other teams, right?
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#696 » by RookieStar » Tue Apr 6, 2021 10:14 pm

MoMM wrote:
Audi wrote:The ultimate irony would be if Orl suddenly becomes known as a place that develops young talent.

As a farm for other teams, right?

Naaawww we broke that curse aleady when we didnt gift-wrap Vuc to the Lakers. The tradition of them stealing our superstar C has been broken with Vuc. We only farm Cs after all.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Post#697 » by Knightro » Tue Apr 6, 2021 10:53 pm

MalagaBulls wrote:Hi all, Bulls fan here in peace. How are you peeps enjoying WCJ? What do you see as his floor/ceiling? Is he a better 3rd year prospect than Bamba?
And what's your opinion of Porter? He is just too injury prone and never lived up to our expectations.
Vooch has been great and is starting to get comfortable after an emotional goodbye. Once he gets into a rhythm and develops chemistry with Zach they will be deadly in the P&R.

Wendell has exceeded every expectation so far. He's been much better than Bamba, who still struggles with an inconsistent motor and fouls.

We heard WCJ has bad hands, but he's only fumbled one pass in 5 games. Otherwise he's had reliable hands which has really helped him as the roll man in pick and roll.

We heard WCJ really struggled defending the pick and roll, but he's been active and smart providing help and contesting at the rim.

He's doubled his 3PT rate from 8.5% of his attempts to 17% of his attempts. He's only 1-8 so far, but he needs to keep taking them when he's wide open to try and develop that shot.

No complaints so far. He's defending, rebounding and finishing. He's getting to the line and making FTs. The only thing that isn't there yet is the three ball, but he's at least been willing to take them.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,606

Post#698 » by ogmagicfan » Wed Apr 7, 2021 12:43 am

Fultz is an interesting case. He’s elite in the league at taking it to the rim and his percentage there. He’s a very natural PG. The game just comes to him easy. Without Vuc, Fournier, & Gordon he should have more room to display aggresiveness that he was starting to display as the season started.

The big question is the 3 point shot. If he becomes average (35%) from 3 point range while shooting 4-5 a game, he’ll be an all star for multiple seasons.

Also consistency on defense, but the shot is the difference maker.
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#699 » by EAS Law » Wed Apr 7, 2021 12:56 am

fendilim wrote:
EAS Law wrote:

Sorry, I meant as someone I would build around. He is just a bonus to me.

There's too much to consider with his shot. Its not even a normal shot to begin with, I dont know if his shooting form is even consistent and whether he really has control of the his shooting motion when he has to shoot from the 3 point range.

Oh—yeah I would agree with that whole-heartedly. I think JI has shown the progress and demeanor to expect from someone that has the ability to be that guy, so hoping his injuries come to an end ala Steph Curry.

Fultz would be an incredible story if he could be that X factor that you don’t need to, but could drop 20-30 on you and run the offense.

I think our real go-to guy is will be someone we haven’t yet drafted.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#700 » by yoyojw17 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:34 am

RookieStar wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

IF WCJ can get Vuc's 3pt range and to add to his already existing defensive ability... that player is an allstar. If that happens, I wonder how long that will take to develop.

It's not like he was never known for his shooting at any point... he was shooting 41% from three in college.. albeit 1.2 attempts... but that gives you a sign that something is there.

and Yes... JI looked primed to being an upgrade scorer in the bubble before going down.

so for me.... that's still 3 front court players who could potentially space the floor. WCJ also has a pretty solid mid range.

Return to Orlando Magic