2021 Western Conference race to the playoff

Moderator: THE J0KER

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets
And1: 6,484

2021 Western Conference race to the playoff 

Post#1 » by THE J0KER » Fri Apr 2, 2021 7:15 am

After 1/3 of this season (first 24 games) 2020 WC finalist Denver was #7 on the West with a disappointing 13-11 record. But in 2/3 Denver has a great 17-7 record (especially lately), so Nuggets are TOP4 seeds today (tied with Lakers), and all scenarios from #2 to #6 seed seem open right now in the final third of the season.

Manolito
Senior
And1: 389

Re: 2021 Western Conference race to the playoff 

Post#2 » by Manolito » Fri Apr 2, 2021 8:35 am

We are actually 13-3 since that painful loss to WAS at home.

This is a pretty dangerous situation. I donĀ“t think we have time to overtake PHO, no idea how but they are always winning (24-6 last 30 games). Nevertheless out of our next 15 games, 11 are at home and against teams we should beat and our remaining calendar is soft.

Unless LAL falls to 7th seed (unlikely but not impossible, tough calendar at still two games @Dallas), our first round matchup would be LAL, LAC or POR. Meeting any Los Angeles team could very well be a WCF just in first round.

Dallas and Clippers have top 5 easy schedules, meanwhile PHO, LAL & POR top 5 toughest.

Anything could happen, looks like LAC & DEN will be 3-4 (potentially could even catch PHO) and LAL & POR 5-6 (DAL might be over LAL if they get a good run)
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,252

Post#3 » by skywalker33 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:46 pm

We have an easy schecdule (IMO) over the next 5 games while LAC plays LAL, POR and PHX so with a little luck we should be able to move up to 3rd place, 4th for sure if we just take care of our own business. LAC has lost it's last two and the LAL are without AD and LBJ for a while, all I have to say is this:

TIME TO MAKE OUR MOVE !
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
skywalker33

Post#4 » by skywalker33 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 10:38 pm

THE J0KER wrote:Image

After 1/3 of this season (first 24 games) 2020 WC finalist Denver was #7 on the West with a disappointing 13-11 record. But in 2/3 Denver has a great 17-7 record (especially lately), so Nuggets are TOP4 seeds today (tied with Lakers), and all scenarios from #2 to #6 seed seem open right now in the final third of the season.

LAughing at CBS's credibility. Of the final 24 games, 14 of our opponents are under .500, we should take those if we don't play down to the competition. At WORST, we should win 1/2 of those over .500, the way we're playing I could see 7 of the 10.that would give us 21 more wins putting us at 51 wins. A far cry from the 43 that CBS is projecting.....what a JOKE !! They have their noses so far up the LA market it's pathetic.

I'm betting on 49 wins.

mirmil
Sophomore
And1: 147

Post#5 » by mirmil » Sat Apr 3, 2021 9:54 am

Best case scenario would be finishing 3rd while Lakers and Clippers end up at 4th and 5th
psimanic1
Starter
And1: 1,171

Post#6 » by psimanic1 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 1:41 pm

The Houston Rockets are planning to waive swingman Ben McLemore, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Several contenders are expected to express interest in the sharpshooting wing.

I could see us being interested
skywalker33

Post#7 » by skywalker33 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:52 pm

psimanic1 wrote:The Houston Rockets are planning to waive swingman Ben McLemore, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. Several contenders are expected to express interest in the sharpshooting wing.

I could see us being interested

McLemore has never turned into the shooter he was expected to become out of college. His shooting pct is around .35/.33, not great for a SG. He's become a 6-3 journeyman. If other contenders want him, let them have him. Right now I'd rather see if Gary Clark can become a good defender, he needs to hang out with Facu IMO

Might take a look at Austin Rivers though

skywalker33

Post#8 » by skywalker33 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 4:23 pm

Kinda looking forward to a Sunday matchup of LAL vs LAC...but not sure who to root for ?? See it as a win-win, lose-lose :lol:

skywalker33

Post#9 » by skywalker33 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:06 pm

Tough win vs. ORL, we should have been more focused, but a W is a W and we're now in sole possession of 4th place in the Western Conference playoff race. This team got a scare, hopefully enough to realize we need to play our best game all the time. We have a somewhat easier schedule than our competition, now is the time to make a move to continue to climb up the seedings. With just 23 games left, 13 of our last opponents are under .500 we need to put them away quickly, not do any more 3rd qtr stumbles and start putting our feet on their throats to put these guys away.

THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#10 » by THE J0KER » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:51 am

There is a dangerous trap in this WC/PO race! With LBJ, AD, and Drummond healthy, LA Lakers are arguably the team to beat on the West. But playing incomplete they can drop to 5th, 6th, or even to 7th place during the regular season, so at the end #4, #3, or even #2 WC seed will be poisoned with facing Lakers already in the playoff 1st round!
Manolito
Senior

Post#11 » by Manolito » Tue Apr 6, 2021 11:07 am

Phoenix next two games are crucial. If they win both, I think seed 2 is impossible. On the other hand, Dallas is coming really strong, pretty easy schedule and there are still two LAL @DAL games, I would not be surprised LAL finish 7seed if ADavis and LeBron donĀ“t come back until the end of this month.

Conclusion, PO goal should be not meeting Lakers until WCF. I am afraid everybody is thinking in the same way, but if Portland performs well, looks like seed 4 is the best position.
skywalker33

Post#12 » by skywalker33 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:13 pm

Manolito wrote:PO goal should be not meeting Lakers until WCF.

NAh, my PO goal is for PHX or ??? to take the Lakers out in the 1st round !!

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#13 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Apr 6, 2021 7:05 pm

skywalker33 wrote:

My PO goal is for the Nuggets to learn how to play complete games on both ends of the court - with energy. If they do that, I think this team, as composed now, is unbeatable. Oh yeah, since the bench is so anemic, bring Barton off the bench or at least have either Barton or Murray playing with the bench. They are both capable of scoring.
skywalker33

Post#14 » by skywalker33 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 8:49 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

My PO goal is for the Nuggets to learn how to play complete games on both ends of the court - with energy. If they do that, I think this team, as composed now, is unbeatable. Oh yeah, since the bench is so anemic, bring Barton off the bench or at least have either Barton or Murray playing with the bench. They are both capable of scoring.

Unbeatable ?? Need I remind you we were a team that defeated the 95-96 Bulls in their 72-win season :lol:

This team has been much better on both ends of the court, we do have 23 more games to continue to build our chemistry. Gotta agree with Barton, move Morris back into the starting lineup was so incredible prior to his injury. Barton should be moved to the bench with Millsap, McGee and Campazzo. They should provide enough of a balance of offense and defense to help support this offense heading into the playoffs.

NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#15 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Apr 6, 2021 11:49 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:NAh, my PO goal is for PHX or ??? to take the Lakers out in the 1st round !!

Unbeatable ?? Need I remind you we were a team that defeated the 95-96 Bulls in their 72-win season :lol:

This team has been much better on both ends of the court, we do have 23 more games to continue to build our chemistry. Gotta agree with Barton, move Morris back into the starting lineup was so incredible prior to his injury. Barton should be moved to the bench with Millsap, McGee and Campazzo. They should provide enough of a balance of offense and defense to help support this offense heading into the playoffs.

When I said "unbeatable"; I was referring to playoffs. Every team is going to lose a game now and then. Even if you have the greatest talent; if you have an off-day and the other team gets hot ... OUCH! So your point is quite valid!
skywalker33

Post#16 » by skywalker33 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:30 am

Two interesting games that could impact the Nuggets, PHX @ LAC and POR @ UTH. If PHX beats the Clips, we'll jump ahead of them for 3rd place, giving the one more loss than us. POR could help us out by beating the Jazz, would pull us 1/2 game closer.

The Rebel
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,338

Post#17 » by The Rebel » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:31 am

skywalker33 wrote:Two interesting games that could impact the Nuggets, PHX @ LAC and POR @ UTH. If PHX beats the Clips, we'll jump ahead of them for 3rd place, giving the one more loss than us. POR could help us out by beating the Jazz, would pull us 1/2 game closer.

When in doubt always go against LA, as for Portland and Utah, I do not care either way.
Manolito
Senior

Post#18 » by Manolito » Fri Apr 9, 2021 6:18 am

Dallas is a key team here. Pretty easy schedule and they are winning a lot lately.

I would love to see Lakers 7th to make sure we donĀ“t face them in first round
THE J0KER
Forum Mod - Nuggets
Forum Mod - Nuggets

Post#19 » by THE J0KER » Fri Apr 9, 2021 9:12 am

The winning streak continues, but Clippers and Suns are healthy and in good form too, it is hard to overtake them. But the #4 spot is good, we almost secured TOP4 status, and I doubt LBJ-less Lakers will stay #5 with healthy Portland improving (Mavs also have a nice chance to overtake Lakers, depending on when LBJ-AD both will play both again), so from 1st round PO perspective #4 seed is maybe best option (playing most probably Portland, eventually Dallas).
Richard Miller
Veteran
And1: 2,883

Post#20 » by Richard Miller » Fri Apr 9, 2021 11:33 am

The Lakers have pretty tough schedule, Nets, NY/Boston then double with Jazz and double with Mavs, later Nuggets/Clipps/Suns/Blazers, if LBJ-AD are not back soon, will be interesting to see where they end up.

Return to Denver Nuggets