Draft Night Deal: Pistons/Warriors

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Draft Night Deal: Pistons/Warriors 

Post#1 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 7:21 pm

Assuming Warriors pick will be kept as its top 20 protected, ill offer this idea:

To Detroit
-Andrew Wiggins (2 years, $65.2 million)
-#14 pick (give or take)

To Golden State
-Jerami Grant (2 years, $40 million)
-Mason Plumlee (2 years, $16.6 million)

Why?
-Golden State upgrades starting by swapping Wiggins for Grant while adding a veteran frontcourt piece in Plumlee.

Curry/FA?/FA?
Thompson/Poole/Lee
Grant/Oubre?/FA?
Green/Paschall/Smailagic
Wiseman/Plumlee/Looney

-Detroit gets a 2nd lottery pick/mid 1st for Grant as they land Wiggins to replace Grant.

Hayes/FA?/2nd
Bey/Jackson/2nd
Wiggins/Doumbouya/Sirvydis
1st/FA?/2nd
Stewart/1st/Okafor
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,730

Re: Draft Night Deal: Pistons/Warriors 

Post#2 » by gswhoops » Mon Apr 5, 2021 7:37 pm

Pretty easy yes for Golden State. I suspect Detroit will want more for Grant + taking on Wiggins.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#3 » by chrbal » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:13 pm

Grant is primarily being used as a 4 with Detroit. Seems like golden state would need to add a little more. Wiggins is a more expensive/less effective version of what Grant does at the forward spots.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#4 » by vege » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:23 pm

I don't mind trading Grant, he has not been good after a great start, but there is no way in hell I'm eating Wigging without being handsonly paid, and #14 is not close to be enough to take on Wiggins, let alone give up 2 positive assets in Grant and Plumlee.

If GSW can give me straight up cap space, the #14 is enough for Grant tho.
Bentley1225
RealGM

Post#5 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:32 pm

vege wrote:I don't mind trading Grant, he has not been good after a great start, but there is no way in hell I'm eating Wigging without being handsonly paid, and #14 is not close to be enough to take on Wiggins, let alone give up 2 positive assets in Grant and Plumlee.

Well Grant/Plumlee/Wiggins expire at the same time and the Pistons are in for a 2 year rebuild beyond this season while the Warriors maximize their 2 year window beyond this season. I think it depends who Pistons take with their own pick.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,457

Post#6 » by jayjaysee » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:39 pm

Guess I value Grant more than most.

But even accepting that, Wiggins and 14 feel like maybe enough for cap space. Getting Plumlee and Grant for free?
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#7 » by Warriors Analyst » Mon Apr 5, 2021 9:00 pm

vege wrote:I don't mind trading Grant, he has not been good after a great start, but there is no way in hell I'm eating Wigging without being handsonly paid, and #14 is not close to be enough to take on Wiggins, let alone give up 2 positive assets in Grant and Plumlee.

Something to consider for Detroit here: you get Wiggins with two years left on his deal. You have the #14 pick, probably one of your own that should be in the top 10, plus Hayes, Bey, and Stewart. Imagine in the 2022-2023 season that Weaver wants to consolidate for a max-level player. You can package Wiggins massive $35 million expiring with any of those assets and that's a pretty good starting point for a team looking to rebuild.

I won't dispute that Wiggins isn't useful to Detroit's short/medium-term goals, but as a tank commander he's suitable AND after a year of him, you're looking at genuinely desirable contract in big trades.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,044

Post#8 » by Laimbeer » Mon Apr 5, 2021 9:53 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:

Something to consider for Detroit here: you get Wiggins with two years left on his deal. You have the #14 pick, probably one of your own that should be in the top 10, plus Hayes, Bey, and Stewart. Imagine in the 2022-2023 season that Weaver wants to consolidate for a max-level player. You can package Wiggins massive $35 million expiring with any of those assets and that's a pretty good starting point for a team looking to rebuild.

I won't dispute that Wiggins isn't useful to Detroit's short/medium-term goals, but as a tank commander he's suitable AND after a year of him, you're looking at genuinely desirable contract in big trades.

Just because the Pistons aren't competing for the next two seasons doesn't mean they want to tie up a ton of cap space on bad contract. It could be used to get picks or to sign players.
vege
RealGM

Post#9 » by vege » Mon Apr 5, 2021 10:08 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:

Well Grant/Plumlee/Wiggins expire at the same time and the Pistons are in for a 2 year rebuild beyond this season while the Warriors maximize their 2 year window beyond this season. I think it depends who Pistons take with their own pick.

Doesn't matter if Wiggins expire at the same time as Grant and Plumlee. If you want to make me eat his contract, you need to pay me, and it won't be cheap.

He is awful and his contract is a joke. I would probably want more than the Minny pick to eat 2 years of Wiggins.

Weaver is (Please Use More Appropriate Word), so I don't know maybe he would pay to trade for Wiggins. He has paid Houston to take Wood off our hand.
Bentley1225
RealGM

Post#10 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 10:22 pm

vege wrote:
Bentley1225 wrote:

Doesn't matter if Wiggins expire at the same time as Grant and Plumlee. If you want to make me eat his contract, you need to pay me, and it won't be cheap.

He is awful and his contract is a joke. I would probably want more than the Minny pick to eat 2 years of Wiggins.

Weaver is (Please Use More Appropriate Word), so I don't know maybe he would pay to trade for Wiggins. He has paid Houston to take Wood off our hand.

Well the point is who are they going to attract in free agency in 2021 and 2022 to accelerate their rebuild?. . How they accelerate their rebuild will depend on who they draft in 2021 and 2022. Downgrading from Grant to Wiggins takes them from perhaps a 27 win team to maybe a 22 win team. This deal facilitates having more 2021 picks as they should focus on player development for 2021-22 given the $30 million Griffin dead cap hit and landing another high 2022 1st round pick.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Apr 5, 2021 10:24 pm

Warriors Analyst wrote:

I mean, an expiring/cap space instead of Wiggins would be closer, as it would allow Detroit to spend cap space this offseason, and next offseason, getting value in the meantime, and then using one of those expiring deals as that ballast you are advertising in 2022-23. Here, they’re giving up a ton of flexibility and potential reward to just sit on Wiggins and get nothing.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,751

Post#12 » by Snakebites » Mon Apr 5, 2021 10:29 pm

I’d be open to a deal like this. I think taking on Wiggins needs to figure into the value a bit more.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#13 » by DetroitDon15 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 11:37 pm

I’m not a fan of this idea. I’d be willing to take on Wiggins and the pick for Plumlee and other assets/cap space to make it work. Giving assets for Wiggins would be making the same mistakes that were present in the Griffin deal for Detroit. If we can land Cade, I like the long term future of the core with Cunningham, Grant, and Bey. I’ll pass on this deal as constructed.
vege
RealGM

Post#14 » by vege » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:04 am

Bentley1225 wrote:
vege wrote:
Bentley1225 wrote:

Well the point is who are they going to attract in free agency in 2021 and 2022 to accelerate their rebuild?. . How they accelerate their rebuild will depend on who they draft in 2021 and 2022. Downgrading from Grant to Wiggins takes them from perhaps a 27 win team to maybe a 22 win team. This deal facilitates having more 2021 picks as they should focus on player development for 2021-22 given the $30 million Griffin dead cap hit and landing another high 2022 1st round pick.

You're not dumping Wiggins without give that Minny pick, and maybe you even have to add more value to that. Period. Then you need to add value to Grant, the #14 seems fine to me, then you need to add value if you also want Plumlee. The deal as it is, is horrible. Everyone is telling you that. Some are just not as direct as me, but we're all saying the same thing.

#14 for Grant is not terrible. You need to pay to dump Wiggins, it's not difficult to undestand, I don't know why you're trying to sell me a car here, trying to convince me that Detroit should eat Wiggins for free. No one is going to do that.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#15 » by Pharaoh » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:15 am

This deal is DOA without the Minnesota pick.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
Bentley1225
RealGM

Post#16 » by Bentley1225 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:40 pm

vege wrote:
Bentley1225 wrote:
vege wrote:

You're not dumping Wiggins without give that Minny pick, and maybe you even have to add more value to that. Period. Then you need to add value to Grant, the #14 seems fine to me, then you need to add value if you also want Plumlee. The deal as it is, is horrible. Everyone is telling you that. Some are just not as direct as me, but we're all saying the same thing.

#14 for Grant is not terrible. You need to pay to dump Wiggins, it's not difficult to undestand, I don't know why you're trying to sell me a car here, trying to convince me that Detroit should eat Wiggins for free. No one is going to do that.

If the Warriors land #4 from Minnesota, Wiggins + #4 for Grant + Plumlee + 2021 Raptors 2nd + 2024 Kings 2nd (Warriors owe both 2024 picks) perhaps makes more sense.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,730

Post#17 » by gswhoops » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:31 pm

Yeah the Minnesota pick ain’t happening. Grant isn’t worth a top-5 pick, even if “OMG YOU DUMP WIGGINZ”
vege
RealGM

Post#18 » by vege » Tue Apr 6, 2021 10:26 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:
vege wrote:
Bentley1225 wrote:

If the Warriors land #4 from Minnesota, Wiggins + #4 for Grant + Plumlee + 2021 Raptors 2nd + 2024 Kings 2nd (Warriors owe both 2024 picks) perhaps makes more sense.

For Detroit that's closer than the OP, I have no idea why GSW would do that tho. They should not pay the price to get out of Wiggins, and since no one is taking him without the Minny pick attached, I think any idea involving Wiggins is doa.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,656

Post#19 » by Coxy » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:54 am

Kind of meh for me for GS.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#20 » by Pharaoh » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:41 pm

gswhoops wrote:Yeah the Minnesota pick ain’t happening. Grant isn’t worth a top-5 pick, even if “OMG YOU DUMP WIGGINZ”
What's the price of real title contention?

Consensus seems to be that Wiggins is negative value on that contract and it will take a asset to move him.

Let's assume that asset is the Warriors 2021 first round pick.

You then have to give up something of value for Grant. That could be Wiseman or the Minnesota pick but you really shouldn't expect Detroit (fans) to ask for anything less than that when:

1 - it makes you a contender (assuming reasonable health from Klay)

2 - Grant chose Detroit not just for basketball reasons and we'd be moving him after ONE season

3 - Grant has proven to be worth his contract!

Personally I wouldn't trade Grant for anything except a overpay simply. He's been a shining light all season.

IF the Warriors want to make a big move they're going to have to pay a heavy price.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app

Return to Trades and Transactions