ImageImageImageImageImage

WHY trade the Daniel Oturu pick at 33 away for nothing???

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

Tron Carter
RealGM
And1: 19,055

Re: WHY trade the Daniel Oturu pick at 33 away for nothing??? 

Post#81 » by Tron Carter » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:31 am

Read on Twitter

The issue of player development during this pandemic season is the G-League won’t have a standard campaign, but likely a bubble camp with 100 players. It’s one of the reasons the Knicks decided against using the 33rd pick last week and traded it away for a 2023 pick.
R.I.P Black Mamba
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 81,775

Post#82 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:50 pm

Tron Carter wrote:
Read on Twitter

The issue of player development during this pandemic season is the G-League won’t have a standard campaign, but likely a bubble camp with 100 players. It’s one of the reasons the Knicks decided against using the 33rd pick last week and traded it away for a 2023 pick.

If a guy you draft at 33 is going to take a couple of years, why do this?

I mean, the Knicks may have had A logic behind that trade, but I'm not sure the bubble camp is the reason.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#83 » by br7knicks » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:07 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Tron Carter wrote:
Read on Twitter

I mean, the Knicks may have had A logic behind that trade, but I'm not sure the bubble camp is the reason.

i would rather have seen oturu in the g league versus pinson or harper.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#84 » by thebuzzardman » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:43 pm

br7knicks wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Tron Carter wrote:
Read on Twitter

i would rather have seen oturu in the g league versus pinson or harper.

Harper is nice. Pinson is a joke. Waste of a roster spot.
symbiotic
Sixth Man
And1: 705

Post#85 » by symbiotic » Mon Apr 5, 2021 4:31 am

Trading this prospect away for possibly pick #55 is **** mental. :banghead: :nonono: :nonono:

Dude is a giant athletic spry center who Averaged 20+ PPG for university of Minnesota. He was needed for insurance in case a center got injured. You never know what you have until you get playing time. He was compared to DeAndre Ayton. While that's too high of a bar and improbable, you can at least develop and see what you have. You could do worse when looking for centers in the market. And you HAD Oturu!

I won't dump on the organization as a whole for this, but if you could do better of top of the current gains.....why not?
egelband
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#86 » by egelband » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:14 am

Did the team ever explain the reasoning?
I dunno.
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,913

Post#87 » by Richard4444 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:34 am

THe pick we got is 2023 Detroit Pistons.

2023 can be the year of the double draft where high school players will be allowed to join the NBA directly.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,614

Post#88 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Apr 5, 2021 11:19 am

finestrg wrote:
Moose wrote:The Knicks did a math equation. They value the 2023 draft a certain way assuming the high school stuff.

That answer to the equation told them that even a #40 pick in 2023 is more valuable than what they saw in 2020 at #33.

You can agree or not with the conclusion, but that's my guess as to what happened here.

Sorry for bumping, what's done is done, I get it, but I just wanted to address the high school angle in this 2023 draft for a sec.

Tell me what high school gem is falling to us in 2023 in the 2nd round with this pick we got for Oturu? What agent or whatever representation, family/friends etc. a high school prospect might have in his corner come the 2023 draft is gonna tell this prospect to stay in the draft in the 2nd round? No HS kids with any kind of upside or real promise get picked in the 2nd round -- they may test the waters early on in the draft process and if there's no interest and they're not projected to go high enough, they'll just go to college for a year, play abroad for a year, whatever, to get their value up to where they could at least crack the 1st round and get some real money the following year.

You wanna tell me that this draft is supposed to be loaded and the HS kids with promise that get picked in the top of the 1st round may push talented older players into the 2nd round, ok maybe I buy that possibility, but please don't think for a second that we're getting some HS stud with this 2nd round pick. Not happening. I mean I really hope the Knicks don't believe that -- that's delusional.

Even after trying to digest this trade for a few days, I still can't swallow it. This dude Oturu is a talented young big that checks off a lot of boxes. We definitely could've used him.
Simply put a double draft has more talent top to bottom so more talented players get pushed lower.

If a HS player has an agent they can't go to college. How many will withdraw from the draft to play overseas?

More picks in a loaded draft is a good thing. They can even be traded.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,614

Post#89 » by prophet_of_rage » Mon Apr 5, 2021 11:25 am

Daniel Oturu of the 1.4 pts, 1.2 rebs and 4.3 minutes for the Clippers. We get way too worked up over here.

Kampuchea
RealGM
And1: 8,174

Post#90 » by Kampuchea » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:11 pm

Knicks traded a second-round pick for a future second-round pick. They didn't pick this guy and would not have if kept the pick.

Why are people still holding onto this? Shifting a second from one year to the next doesn't seem like a big deal.
symbiotic
Sixth Man

Post#91 » by symbiotic » Mon Apr 5, 2021 10:30 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:Daniel Oturu of the 1.4 pts, 1.2 rebs and 4.3 minutes for the Clippers. We get way too worked up over here.

I thought these were G League stats but these are his stats on the main Clippers team. They are contending for a championship. Obi Toppin's stats look very small too, but those would be far far higher in another team. Those rebounds turn into 10 rebounds & 12 PPG when extrapolated to 36 minutes PPG.

The reason there is renewed talk about Daniel Oturu is all in light of the Mitchell Robinson injury, and just from that alone.

Imagine if he got some burn and surprised folks if the Knicks were to be in the playoffs, with a man of this pedigree & size & skillset & attributes & youth who irrationally slipped?

I much rather would have had Oturu than any of the table scraps like John Henson ("sorry to say") that nobody was thinking of until an opening came.

Norvel Pelle MAY be that guy. But Oturu would have been nicer.

The high school draft may happen in 2022 OR 2023 OR maybe not even at all, and who knows if there's enough to offset where the Knicks will pick. Here there was a clear position of need with Mitchell Robinson. A rare miss to me by the Knicks organization, and a missed opportunity for Daniel Oturu to shine here.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,333

Post#92 » by Phish Tank » Mon Apr 5, 2021 10:38 pm

the way the trade ended up working, that Oturu pick never ended up with the Knicks at any point. There was a lot of shuffling, but Oturu wasn't involved.

With that said, he wouldn't have made any difference for us.
symbiotic
Sixth Man

Post#93 » by symbiotic » Tue Apr 6, 2021 7:58 pm

Kampuchea wrote:Why are people still holding onto this? Shifting a second from one year to the next doesn't seem like a big deal.

Because Mitchell Robinson is injured and the Knicks can use a young center with potential, and depth for Mitchell's return.
Polk377
General Manager
And1: 5,363

Post#94 » by Polk377 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 11:44 pm

Phish Tank wrote:the way the trade ended up working, that Oturu pick never ended up with the Knicks at any point. There was a lot of shuffling, but Oturu wasn't involved.

With that said, he wouldn't have made any difference for us.

The pick was supposed to be Vernon Carey Jr. but Charlotte took him the pick before. They never wanted Oturu so they traded out when Carey was gone.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 47,835

Post#95 » by robillionaire » Wed Apr 7, 2021 12:51 am

symbiotic wrote:Trading this prospect away for possibly pick #55 is **** mental. :banghead: :nonono: :nonono:

Dude is a giant athletic spry center who Averaged 20+ PPG for university of Minnesota. He was needed for insurance in case a center got injured. You never know what you have until you get playing time. He was compared to DeAndre Ayton. While that's too high of a bar and improbable, you can at least develop and see what you have. You could do worse when looking for centers in the market. And you HAD Oturu!

I won't dump on the organization as a whole for this, but if you could do better of top of the current gains.....why not?

he's averaging like 1 point per game, the last 3 games he appeared in he did not log a single point rebound or block, again I have to ask, are you oturu or related to him? the two picks after him, Maledon and Xavier Tillman look like much better prospects. oturu has done nothing to make anybody care about this dude. this is the strangest obsession with a player I've ever witnessed and there's been plenty of interesting ones

when I saw this was bumped I checked his game logs thinking maybe he got into a game and had a 20 and 10 game or something. but no, just 0s all around
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 47,835

Post#96 » by robillionaire » Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:47 pm

Now that he’s been waived by multiple teams we can just pick him up for free if we want him

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/264349/Bulls-Waive-Daniel-Oturu-Ethan-Thompson
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#97 » by thebuzzardman » Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:36 pm

I enjoy 2 year old draft regret almost as much as 1 year draft regret.
symbiotic
Sixth Man

Post#98 » by symbiotic » Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:44 am

Oturu, we HARDLY KNEW YE. Oturu who?

No need for him now that **** JERICHO SIMS & found & plucked all the way from **** pick 58

FIFTY EIGHT

What a revelation he has been.

Return to New York Knicks