And1: 2,347

Dedmon signed by Miami 

Post#1 » by flow » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:49 am

GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,254

Re: Dedmon signed by Miami 

Post#2 » by GreekAlex » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:08 am

Now we sit back and watch the savings on his stretched contract roll in!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#3 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:20 am

Dedmoney... heh.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#4 » by chrbal » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:54 pm

Yippee? It’s a poor waiver market when he had Philadelphia and Miami trying to add him. Maybe he’ll sign a full contract next year.

Hard to really care about the guys that were basically part of the Pistons for a weekend.

Also I’m not one of the people that really cares about his contract being on our books for the length it is. If we managed to stretch Blake’s that would be an issue.
Sort
Rookie
And1: 444

Post#5 » by Sort » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:50 pm

To me it's always startling to see people go from huge contracts to basically out of the league, even via stretch like Dedmon or Josh Smith. Say whatever you like, but seems like once a player gets stretched, their career has either a) already crashed and burned or b) is about to.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,776

Post#6 » by Snakebites » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:59 pm

I will always remember him for his great service to the team.

Godspeed.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,105

Post#7 » by Kilo » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:31 pm

Won't help this season but if he plays well in Miami and can earn 3M+ next year and beyond Detroit could see 1M+ in cap hit.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
chrbal
RealGM

Post#8 » by chrbal » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:37 pm

Sort wrote:To me it's always startling to see people go from huge contracts to basically out of the league, even via stretch like Dedmon or Josh Smith. Say whatever you like, but seems like once a player gets stretched, their career has either a) already crashed and burned or b) is about to.

But that’s kind of the point of teams stretching players. They are no longer worth the contract or taking up a spot. Or the game no longer fits their style, like Josh Smith.

There are exceptions to the rule. For example it’ll be interesting to see what kind of market Drummond has going forward and how much longer his nba career lasts.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,509

Post#9 » by whitehops » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:50 pm

chrbal wrote:
Sort wrote:To me it's always startling to see people go from huge contracts to basically out of the league, even via stretch like Dedmon or Josh Smith. Say whatever you like, but seems like once a player gets stretched, their career has either a) already crashed and burned or b) is about to.

But that’s kind of the point of teams stretching players. They are no longer worth the contract or taking up a spot. Or the game no longer fits their style, like Josh Smith.

There are exceptions to the rule. For example it’ll be interesting to see what kind of market Drummond has going forward and how much longer his nba career lasts.

i feel like a lot of times teams (often small market teams) have to force their hand and pony up for free agents, which pretty much makes them overpaid right off the bat. if their quality of play declines at all, they become borderline untradeable pretty quickly.

part of it is money/role too i think. like with drummond, if no team is willing to pay him more than the vet's minimum and give him ~10 MPG off the bench, he might just retire because he's already made over $100 million in his career. i'm sure he'll get the MLE which will probably be enough to keep him playing but i wouldn't be surprised if drummond was out of the league in a few years. as he gets older and older, his "potential" or whatever gets less and less and teams will rather pay that money to young, up-and-coming players.
ven412
Starter
And1: 40

Post#10 » by ven412 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:59 pm

chrbal wrote:

Drummond will be in the league for a looong time. He’s what, 28?
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 468

Post#11 » by Crymson » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:36 pm

Kilo wrote:Won't help this season but if he plays well in Miami and can earn 3M+ next year and beyond Detroit could see 1M+ in cap hit.

If he were to sign for $3m, the Pistons would see about $750K in cap savings.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,776

Post#12 » by Snakebites » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:09 pm

I don't think any stretched player has ever yielded significant savings for his former team by signing substantial contracts after getting stretched.

Josh Smith sure didn't.
chrbal
RealGM

Post#13 » by chrbal » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:58 pm

ven412 wrote:

By no means am I saying he’s out of the NBA in two seasons. I just think he’ll be lucky to get an MLE next season.

You consider the fact that he’ll have made something like $120-130 million off the NBA for his career. It makes you wonder how long he puts his body through it for less and less money. He’s never exactly been known for his strong motor.

He’ll get his stats for a while, but I don’t see him taking on backup roles for little, to him, money like Dwight Howard is currently doing. He chose to just sit rather than be a backup this season after all.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#14 » by Pharaoh » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:06 pm

I believe Cleveland chose to sit him, not Dre refusing to come off the bench.
chrbal wrote:
ven412 wrote:

By no means am I saying he’s out of the NBA in two seasons. I just think he’ll be lucky to get an MLE next season.

You consider the fact that he’ll have made something like $120-130 million off the NBA for his career. It makes you wonder how long he puts his body through it for less and less money. He’s never exactly been known for his strong motor.

He’ll get his stats for a while, but I don’t see him taking on backup roles for little, to him, money like Dwight Howard is currently doing. He chose to just sit rather than be a backup this season after all.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
chrbal
RealGM

Post#15 » by chrbal » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:15 pm

Pharaoh wrote:I believe Cleveland chose to sit him, not Dre refusing to come off the bench.

I think it was a mutual decision. There’s no way he doesn’t sit and cheer if he didn’t want to.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#16 » by Pharaoh » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:02 am

The Cavs made the decision for him.

Didn't you see Draymond Green's rant about it?
chrbal wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:I believe Cleveland chose to sit him, not Dre refusing to come off the bench.

I think it was a mutual decision. There’s no way he doesn’t sit and cheer if he didn’t want to.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#17 » by DetroitSho » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:12 am

chrbal wrote:

Dude why would he sit and cheer on the end of the Cavs bench?

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#18 » by Uncle Mxy » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:14 am

Did you know that "number nine" played backwards sounds like "turn me on, Dedmon"?

I would've posted this earlier, had he been around long enough to matter.
chrbal
RealGM

Post#19 » by chrbal » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:22 am

DetroitSho wrote:
chrbal wrote:

Gets the money no matter what. Doesn’t risk an injury. Gets to pick his team.

If he got traded he’s looking at Charlotte, Chicago, New York. Basically bottom of the playoff seeding teams. He gets the buyout he gets to choose the team he wants to join that most likely never could have traded for him.

I’m not saying that I know this happened, but I’d be really surprised if Drummond had really no part in that decision he would’ve complained to the players association. And this all would’ve been a bigger story than just draymond saying his opinion.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#20 » by DetroitSho » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:54 am

chrbal wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
chrbal wrote:

Gets the money no matter what. Doesn’t risk an injury. Gets to pick his team.

If he got traded he’s looking at Charlotte, Chicago, New York. Basically bottom of the playoff seeding teams. He gets the buyout he gets to choose the team he wants to join that most likely never could have traded for him.

I’m not saying that I know this happened, but I’d be really surprised if Drummond had really no part in that decision he would’ve complained to the players association. And this all would’ve been a bigger story than just draymond saying his opinion.
You literally listed the reasons why he SHOULDN'T sit and cheer on the bench. Buy me out so I can choose my team. He was never being traded.

Return to Detroit Pistons