ImageImageImageImage

Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,606

Re: Official 2021 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1621 » by ogmagicfan » Wed Apr 7, 2021 12:23 am

RookieStar wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:I don't think there will be many avenues in this draft, but I could be wrong. I expect no movement within the top 5.

Same.. if you are in the top 5 you guard that spot like a dragon guard it's hoard.

I mean MAYBE I can see a top-5 giving up a ton to move to a top-3 only if the top-3 feels that the player they want can be had in the #5 as well

I feel the same, I want to be optimistic that we can possibly trade into the top 4 if we don’t get a pick there.

However if we feel that one of the top 4 players are our guy, I don’t understand why we simply aren’t tanking like all of the other teams at the bottom are clearly doing so we don’t have to squander our other valuable draft assets & players.
ogmagicfan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,606

Post#1622 » by ogmagicfan » Wed Apr 7, 2021 12:26 am

Skin wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:Kispert demonstrated why I don’t believe he’s someone we should target with our Bulls pick at all. He was abused on defense. Baylor guards saw easy money whenever they switched on him. Alot of better choices we can make at that spot (7-10) while signing someone who will be just as good shooting but can keep up with players on defense.

Same, he's not a quick trigger guy. I'd be happy with Quentin Grimes in Round 2. He's going 39 in nbadraft.net. Our pick is 34.

I like him, confident with a good release point for his jumper as well.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,786

Post#1623 » by RookieStar » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:04 am

ogmagicfan wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:I don't think there will be many avenues in this draft, but I could be wrong. I expect no movement within the top 5.

Same.. if you are in the top 5 you guard that spot like a dragon guard it's hoard.

I mean MAYBE I can see a top-5 giving up a ton to move to a top-3 only if the top-3 feels that the player they want can be had in the #5 as well

I feel the same, I want to be optimistic that we can possibly trade into the top 4 if we don’t get a pick there.

However if we feel that one of the top 4 players are our guy, I don’t understand why we simply aren’t tanking like all of the other teams at the bottom are clearly doing so we don’t have to squander our other valuable draft assets & players.

Who says we arent? I mean.. other than benching/ buying out/ waiving all.our current lineup and hiring the GLeague Magic to play, the guys we are playing is as tanking as we can get.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1624 » by RookieStar » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:10 am

Skin wrote:

Yeah, that's why I'm gonna insist on talking about players outside of the Top 5. The more research I do, the more I come to peace with the idea. I really like this dude.

If Keon can improve his range, he could emerge as a top player to come out of this draft class. Just might take time... or might not ever come... that's part of the fallout when not picking in the Top 5.

Of all the SGs available outside the top 5 ( meaning Moody Bouknight Keon) I have him last cuz he kinda reminds me of RJ lol. No stats to.back it up but I just saw him play and his athleticism to drive just gave me that thought.

I think im leaning towards bouknight for now. I wanna waitnfor the combine workouts and etc to decide though.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#1625 » by Nyce_1 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:15 am

Cade, Green, or bust.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,147

Post#1626 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:05 am

I'm not sure he's the best fit for the Magic, but a guy who is really rising on my board is Josh Giddey.

The obvious comparison from a statistical standpoint is LaMelo Ball as they're both super tall point guards who filled up the box scores in the Australian League.

Per 40 stats

Ball: 21.6 PTS, 9.4 REB, 8.6 AST, 2.1 STL, 0.2 BLK, 3.3 PF, 3.2 TO on a .39/.28/.70 slash
Giddey: 14.1 PTS, 8.9 REB, 8.3 AST, 1.6 STL, 0.8 BLK, 2.4 PF, 3.6 TO on a .41/.32/.67 slash

Giddey isn't quite as good (I had LaMelo as my No. 1 prospect last year), but he's putting up comparable numbers. He also doesn't turn 19 until October, so he's one of the youngest prospects in the draft.

I think he's going to end up being a top 20 pick, maybe a top 15 pick.

DSN1423
Sophomore
And1: 66

Post#1627 » by DSN1423 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:24 am

Knightro wrote:I'm not sure he's the best fit for the Magic, but a guy who is really rising on my board is Josh Giddey.

The obvious comparison from a statistical standpoint is LaMelo Ball as they're both super tall point guards who filled up the box scores in the Australian League.

Per 40 stats

Ball: 21.6 PTS, 9.4 REB, 8.6 AST, 2.1 STL, 0.2 BLK, 3.3 PF, 3.2 TO on a .39/.28/.70 slash
Giddey: 14.1 PTS, 8.9 REB, 8.3 AST, 1.6 STL, 0.8 BLK, 2.4 PF, 3.6 TO on a .41/.32/.67 slash

Giddey isn't quite as good (I had LaMelo as my No. 1 prospect last year), but he's putting up comparable numbers. He also doesn't turn 19 until October, so he's one of the youngest prospects in the draft.

Giddey is a fine prospect but he is essentially a less athletic version of Markelle. Good BBIQ, finishing and passing ability but jumper isnt there.
His shot is really questionable, if he had a decent one he would be a Top 10 pick no doubt.
He has the alpha gene to lead a team but isnt what we need specifically moving forward. As stated many times we need a scorer and someone to count on to make offensive plays.

If Markelle is going to be our future PG that the front office wont trade then picking Giddey isnt a wise choice.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1628 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:29 am

I know he didn't have a good tournament, but I'm still very interested in Moody in the 8-15 range. Played his entire freshman season at 18.

He's a full year younger than Suggs and Mobley, for example.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,498

Post#1629 » by thelead » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:41 am

Nyce_1 wrote:Cade, Green, or bust.

100%

They're likely in their own tier right now
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,682

Post#1630 » by basketballRob » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:43 am

Hopefully Moody falls far enough where we could get him with the second pick. Bassey and Josh Christopher are interesting also.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1631 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:48 am

thelead wrote:

100%

I really don't see how Suggs isn't in the tier with them. I still rank him neck and neck with Green at this point.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1632 » by RookieStar » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:51 am

So just a question to each of you.. with our appearant youth movement ( we have 3 rookies playing significant minutes right now ).

What are the chances our FO doesnt utilize our extra FRP or high SRP? like we either package it with a trade or use it for a Euro draft and stash? or heck do an okeke and look for an injured player right now we can rehab for a year lol
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1633 » by RookieStar » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:53 am

Knightro wrote:
thelead wrote:

100%

I really don't see how Suggs isn't in the tier with them. I still rank him neck and neck with Green at this point.

Yeah.. I prefer Suggs than Green even but to say those 3 arent on the same tier is just...
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,094

Post#1634 » by tiderulz » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:53 am

RookieStar wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:
RookieStar wrote:

Who says we arent? I mean.. other than benching/ buying out/ waiving all.our current lineup and hiring the GLeague Magic to play, the guys we are playing is as tanking as we can get.

i said the same thing on the T&T board and accused by another Magic fan, calling it a lie that we arent tanking. :banghead:
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1635 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:54 am

RookieStar wrote:
Knightro wrote:
thelead wrote:100%

Yeah.. I prefer Suggs than Green even but to say those 3 arent on the same tier is just...

I don't like him as a fit with the Magic, but Mobley is pretty clearly seen on that top tier as well. I wouldn't be shocked if he goes 2nd whatsoever.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,094

Post#1636 » by tiderulz » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:57 am

Knightro wrote:I'm not sure he's the best fit for the Magic, but a guy who is really rising on my board is Josh Giddey.

Per 40 stats

can we take yet another PG?
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1637 » by RookieStar » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:01 am

Knightro wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
Knightro wrote:

I don't like him as a fit with the Magic, but Mobley is pretty clearly seen on that top tier as well. I wouldn't be shocked if he goes 2nd whatsoever.

Oh yeah I think he is in the same tier.. its just that his skillset is the "least" useful in this modern NBA and thus relegated as an afterthought.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#1638 » by Knightro » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:02 am

tiderulz wrote:i said the same thing on the T&T board and accused by another Magic fan, calling it a lie that we arent tanking.

I wouldn't say the Magic are actively tanking. If they were, they would do the OKC thing just sit their healthy veterans and Clifford certainly isn't going to go for that. He's coaching to win every night.

It's merely a coincidence that they have so many injuries which is pretty much forcing them to play every player on the roster anyway.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1639 » by RookieStar » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:05 am

tiderulz wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:

i said the same thing on the T&T board and accused by another Magic fan, calling it a lie that we arent tanking. :banghead:

lol who and what was their reasoning that we arent tanking? Is it because Cliff didnt take a 2x4 and hit his players legs to prevent them playing? or how about rewarding Magic relagmers by signing us up and playing us in the games?

If we play the vets which are sucking we get accused of trying to win. But if we play he new guys who barely have practice time and havent played with each other yet are producing we again are being accused of putting players to win?
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#1640 » by RookieStar » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:08 am

Knightro wrote:
tiderulz wrote:i said the same thing on the T&T board and accused by another Magic fan, calling it a lie that we arent tanking.

I wouldn't say the Magic are actively tanking. If they were, they would do the OKC thing just sit their healthy veterans and Clifford certainly isn't going to go for that. He's coaching to win every night.

It's merely a coincidence that they have so many injuries which is pretty much forcing them to play every player on the roster anyway.

if we sit our healthy vets like Birch Bacon Ennis MCWand Ross...arent they the ones sucking so we lose the games? I mean other than the occasional.sizzling bacon or coin toss head ross, our vets are pretty pedestrian.

I mean look at our wins, werent the new guys the big factor for winning them?

Return to Orlando Magic