ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: ESPN fired Paul Pierce after his racy Instagram Live video

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,403

OT: ESPN fired Paul Pierce after his racy Instagram Live video 

Post#1 » by Zenzibar » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:17 pm

New York (CNN Business)ESPN fired NBA analyst Paul Pierce after the Boston Celtics legend posted a racy Instagram Live video over the weekend. The video featured Pierce in a room with exotic dancers.

The cable sports network ended its working relationship with Pierce Monday, an industry source told CNN Business. ESPN declined to comment on Pierce leaving the network. Representatives for Pierce also did not immediately respond for requests for comment. The news of Pierce's firing was first reported by Front Office Sports.

Pierce was an analyst for the network on multiple NBA shows. That included the studio show, "The Jump" and its pregame show "NBA Countdown." Pierce, who went by the nickname "The Truth," won an NBA championship with the Celtics in 2008.
Pierce joined ESPN before the 2017-2018 season.

The racy nature of the live stream was likely a breaking point for ESPN — a company owned by the family-friendly Walt Disney Company (DIS). Also, Pierce and others in the video do not appear to be wearing masks or following Covid protocols that have been set up at the network.

Pierce seemingly addressed the situation on Twitter shortly after the news broke.
On Monday, Pierce posted a short video of him smiling with the caption, "Big Things coming soon stay tuned make sure u smile #Truthshallsetufree."

Later on Monday, he tweeted again writing, "I can't lose even when I lose I'm winning."
It is unclear if anyone will replace Pierce on ESPN's NBA programming or if the network will just rotate in other commentators, reporters and analysts to fill his spot.
Stop All Genocides
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Re: OT: ESPN fired Paul Pierce after his racy Instagram Live video 

Post#2 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:26 pm

F*ck PP
symbiotic
Sixth Man
And1: 705

Post#3 » by symbiotic » Tue Apr 6, 2021 8:02 pm

Isn't this dude like over 40?
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#4 » by nedleeds » Tue Apr 6, 2021 8:50 pm

Yo strippers and instagrahoes didn't follow covid protocols. That's what they're worried about? People who write these releases are clown lords.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,558

Post#5 » by cgmw » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:12 pm

I've always been confused about why big name athletes end up at corporate media jobs. It just makes no sense. PP's net worth is supposedly $70,000,000. I realize more money is always better than less money, but really how much money was ESPN paying him? Couldn't be much.

His investments alone should spin off a minimum of $3,000,000/year of straight spendable income without even touching the principal. Which means his $70m should be closer to $150m in 10 years.

Judge the guy all you want, but ask yourself -- if you made $3,000,000/year WITHOUT WORKING, would you really give a F about keeping your corporate job at Walt Disney?

PS: God bless Shaq, but really what does he do with all that money??? I assume he only keeps the TNT job to get him more sponsorship deals, which makes sense considering his personality. Pierce, on the other hand, had no personality until this episode. Maybe he wants to open strip clubs after the pandemic?
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#6 » by br7knicks » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:21 pm

symbiotic wrote:Isn't this dude like over 40?

I was about to join in with you to criticize him for being forty and doing this.

But I'm also forty
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Knicks Byke
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,269

Post#7 » by Knicks Byke » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:25 pm

cgmw wrote:I've always been confused about why big name athletes end up at corporate media jobs. It just makes no sense. PP's net worth is supposedly $70,000,000. I realize more money is always better than less money, but really how much money was ESPN paying him? Couldn't be much.

His investments alone should spin off a minimum of $3,000,000/year of straight spendable income without even touching the principal. Which means his $70m should be closer to $150m in 10 years.

Judge the guy all you want, but ask yourself -- if you made $3,000,000/year WITHOUT WORKING, would you really give a F about keeping your corporate job at Walt Disney?

PS: God bless Shaq, but really what does he do with all that money??? I assume he only keeps the TNT job to get him more sponsorship deals, which makes sense considering his personality. Pierce, on the other hand, had no personality until this episode. Maybe he wants to open strip clubs after the pandemic?

even in the video with strippers, he lacked personality :lol:

but yea, he probably wanted to get fired.

**** him.
nyczlegacy
Analyst
And1: 783

Post#8 » by nyczlegacy » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:28 pm

lmaooo i thought it was fkn hilarious

reminded me of the good old days with marbury on justin tv

god shammgod wrote:didn't watch a minute. it feels good. might not watch more than a game or two for the rest of the season. there's nothing to see. our best player is a midget g-leaguer.
symbiotic
Sixth Man
And1: 705

Post#9 » by symbiotic » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:42 pm

Here's old man Paul Pierce :lol: :nonono: :lol:

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,288

Post#10 » by DOT » Tue Apr 6, 2021 10:28 pm

The Mouse doesn't take kindly to anyone threatening their family-friendly label.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Iron Mantis
RealGM
And1: 18,510

Post#11 » by Iron Mantis » Tue Apr 6, 2021 11:06 pm

K-DOT wrote:The Mouse doesn't take kindly to anyone threatening their family-friendly label.

B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#12 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Tue Apr 6, 2021 11:46 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:F*ck PP

You really got 6 +1s for this?

I'm a career PP hater and I really don't see why this is the horrific thing that no moral person can abide.

Shame on you all.

Let's burn more witches as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Albions-Seed-British-Folkways-cultural/dp/0195069056/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=albions+seed&qid=1617752750&sr=8-1
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,313

Post#13 » by thebuzzardman » Tue Apr 6, 2021 11:55 pm

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:

I'm a career PP hater and I really don't see why this is the horrific thing that no moral person can abide.

Shame on you all.

https://www.amazon.com/Albions-Seed-British-Folkways-cultural/dp/0195069056/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=albions+seed&qid=1617752750&sr=8-1

Wut?

I could care less if PP was sniffing a oz of blow off the skeziest hookers in existence.

I just hate PP in general.
sims332
Bench Warmer
And1: 828

Post#14 » by sims332 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 12:45 am

actually pierce was fired because there were not enough strippers in the video... and thats a disney policy violation
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#15 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Wed Apr 7, 2021 12:54 am

thebuzzardman wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:

Shame on you all.

Wut?

I could care less if PP was sniffing a oz of blow off the skeziest hookers in existence.

I'm glad we are (once again) on common ground.

But, can you not see this is not the place for a victory dance. ???

What if your favourite player's favourite player was cancelled for this anodyne behaviour?
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,434

Post#16 » by robillionaire » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:01 am

B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:You really got 6 +1s for this?

Shame on you all.

Wut?

What if your favourite player's favourite player was cancelled for this anodyne behaviour?

I'd probably still not care because these guys have 100x more money than everyone on realgm put together and it literally doesn't matter if they get fired for their wild lavish lifestyles that few will ever experience. On one hand personally I don't think his extracurricular activities warranted him getting fired but on the other hand, I just can't imagine caring about this crap at all when there are important issues in the world

if you take a job working for disney you know what you're signing up for. most people can get fired if your boss doesn't like your haircut. hard for me to sympathize with him
sims332
Bench Warmer
And1: 828

Post#17 » by sims332 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:13 am

robillionaire wrote:
B8RcDeMktfxC wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Wut?

I'd probably still not care because these guys have 100x more money than everyone on realgm put together and it literally doesn't matter if they get fired for their wild lavish lifestyles that few will ever experience. On one hand personally I don't think his extracurricular activities warranted him getting fired but on the other hand, I just can't imagine caring about this crap at all when there are important issues in the world

if you take a job working for disney you know what you're signing up for. most people can get fired if your boss doesn't like your haircut. hard for me to sympathize with him

your boss told me that he loves your haircut.... so you are set ...work-wise
Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,534

Post#18 » by Fat Kat » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:41 am

cgmw wrote:I've always been confused about why big name athletes end up at corporate media jobs. It just makes no sense. PP's net worth is supposedly $70,000,000. I realize more money is always better than less money, but really how much money was ESPN paying him? Couldn't be much.

A good percentage of them go broke for varying reasons. ESPN did a special on it years ago. Here’s a clip

And some of those analysts make millions, especially the ones on TNT. They’re trying to maintain a very expensive lifestyle, and only the players that continue to work can do it.
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Clyde_Style
RealGM
And1: 61,307

Post#19 » by Clyde_Style » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:37 am

I'm guessing this means Disney won't be greenlighting the pilot episode of Hookers & Blow
ImageImageImage
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,131

Post#20 » by Capn'O » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:39 am

**** Paul Pierce is a noble hill to die on
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber