ImageImageImage

Game 51 : Philadelphia 76ers (34-16) @ Boston Celtics (25-25) l Tuesday l 7:30pm

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,707

Re: Game 51 : Philadelphia 76ers (34-16) @ Boston Celtics (25-25) l Tuesday l 7:30pm 

Post#121 » by Sixersftw » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:06 am

Play the song you cowards
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,009

Re: Game 51 : Philadelphia 76ers (34-16) @ Boston Celtics (25-25) l Tuesday l 7:30pm 

Post#122 » by ivysixer2000 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:08 am

Tristan was really running his mouth to Jojo and Ben
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 9,784

Post#123 » by Murray_17 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:09 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:I don't get it. This is the same exact Boston team as last season, but they are not nearly as good despite the improvements from Jaylen Brown who happens to be one of my favorite players in the game.

Kemba cannot colapse defenses anymore so he's not the facilitator he was last season. Loosing Hayward took the other facilitator they had away. And Brad is an amazing defensive mind but he cannot coach offense for ****.

The two J's are great scorers and young but both have horrible tunnel vision. Specially Brown.

Their defense is bad too because they don't have center depth at all.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,748

Post#124 » by Stanford » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:12 am

Enjoyed that one, lads
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Post#125 » by DCasey91 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:12 am

Give Celtics Turner, Rubio, & Goga I reckon they would be fine.

Tatum/Brown is still an elite core to go off from but they are’s tuck with pieces that don’t fit lol everything is a circle.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,649

Post#126 » by stormi » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:23 am

DCasey91 wrote:Tatum/Brown is still an elite core to go off from

Definitely not. Two non-playmaking chuckers that can't coexist are not an elite core. They lack a genuine star player.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#127 » by VDT » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:25 am

It looked surprisingly easy. I expected more from the Celtics.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,619

Post#128 » by Mik317 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:26 am

weird game but we take those
#NeverGonnaBeGood
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#129 » by DCasey91 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:29 am

stormi wrote:

Definitely not. Two non-playmaking chuckers that can't coexist are not an elite core. They lack a genuine star player.

Beg to differ
2x ECF

They perform very well in the playoffs. Especially Tatum
They aren’t chuckers either. Just not great distributors

Worst center depth in the NBA so it isn’t the young duo’s fault there. Walker definitely is a terrible fit (Never was a facilitator).

PG/Kawhi/Durant aren’t either
stormi
General Manager

Post#130 » by stormi » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:35 am

DCasey91 wrote:
stormi wrote:

Beg to differ
2x ECF

Worst center depth in the NBA so it isn’t the young duo’s fault there. Walker definitely is a terrible fit (Never was a facilitator).

Don't think so. They've had very very strong teams, and have gone against habitual underperformers like us and the Bucks to get where they've gone. Their first ECF was also on the back of a genuinely stacked roster with the chuckers + Smart, Horford, Rozier, Morris, Hayward etc. Most of those players are gone. Tatum nor Brown are in Embiid's stratosphere and it shows in games like today where your stars decide the outcome. You need genuine elite talent to win, I don't see it there. They have an abundant amount of shot creating with an unbalancing low amount of facilitators. The fact that their production comes at the expense of one another is the reason they won't ever truly succeed together.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,409

Post#131 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:37 am

Mik317 wrote:weird game but we take those

You've said this exact same quote 30 out of the 35 games we have won this year. I'm with you....This **** is really weird.
DCasey91
General Manager

Post#132 » by DCasey91 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:41 am

stormi wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:
stormi wrote:

Beg to differ
2x ECF

Don't think so. They've had very very strong teams, and have gone against habitual underperformers like us and the Bucks to get where they've gone. Their first ECF was also on the back of a genuinely stacked roster with the chuckers + Smart, Horford, Rozier, Morris, Hayward etc. Most of those players are gone. Tatum nor Brown are in Embiid's stratosphere and it shows in games like today where it decides the outcome. You need genuine star talent to win. You also need shot creating facilitators. The fact that their production comes at the expense of one another is the reason they won't ever truly succeed together.

Too early to tell for me. This year is a definitive wash can’t get far with elite interior defense anyway so I don’t hold it against the two.

The list is wonky and lost serious depth.
Tatum played awesome in the bubble
and now gets overlook for lesser players recency bias. He’s very very good (I had him as an elite 2nd option on a chip winning team).
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 9,784

Post#133 » by Murray_17 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:44 am

DCasey91 wrote:Beg to differ
2x ECF

Even if they have a facilitator, they're never gonna get anywhere if those two players don't become better at it, specially because they're basicallly stopptng the ball on the wings with less options to pass, teams competent at defending the 3 are always gonna make them look bad.

Even with one decent facilitator, If you scheme to iso their designated playmaker the ball will stop moving anyways and you have the same problem again with two players who kind of overlap between each other. Wings are too important in today's game to have two wing stars who don't know how to pass at the same time on the floor.

I understand the "Marcus mart bring the intangibles" mythology, but if you relly on him for playmaking you're just not good enough to contend.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#134 » by Sixerscan » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:45 am

Heads are gonna roll in Boston at the end of the season.
SRM82
Freshman
And1: 16

Post#135 » by SRM82 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:48 am

Brown and Tatum are good but not super stars and they don’t make teammates better.

Joel is a superstar who makes players better just with him being on the floor.
HardenToSixers
Rookie
And1: 643

Post#136 » by HardenToSixers » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:12 am

Weird game but we take those
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,724

Post#137 » by HotelVitale » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:16 am

DCasey91 wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:I don't get it. This is the same exact Boston team as last season, but they are not nearly as good despite the improvements from Jaylen Brown who happens to be one of my favorite players in the game.

There list too lost Hayward too whose probably the most efficient one out of the three wings. Easily the best facilitator out of three

Hayward explanation doesn't work for me--he was terrible two years ago, and last season they were 14-6 when Hayward was injured in the RS. And Hayward missed almost all of the PO, including all of the really good series they played against the Raptors (and almost all of the series against us). So they were still a top-7 or so team without Hayward last year, can't be the main reason for the drop off.

stormi wrote: Their first ECF was also on the back of a genuinely stacked roster with the chuckers + Smart, Horford, Rozier, Morris, Hayward etc. Most of those players are gone.
Not sure that's the right explanation either: Hayward didn't play at all that year (zero minutes in that playoff run), Rozier was his usual ridiculously inefficient self besides a few hero games against us, Morris shot 36% that playoffs (30% against us), and they still have Smart.

I get that it helps a lot to have competent vets out there, but it just seems like they were better than sum of parts for the past 3 years, and now whatever intangible thing was making that happen aint there anymore.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,770

Post#138 » by Skates » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:25 am

Boston has gone super cheap with bigs and even got rid of Theis to get under the tax line, Kemba is falling apart and with injuries and Covid stuff, not much continuity with their two top notch wing scorers, plus all of those mid to late first and second rounders Danny hoarded and never traded seem to be flame outs.

Also, that Joel Embiid guy, he's pretty good and stuff.
stormi
General Manager

Post#139 » by stormi » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:42 am

HotelVitale wrote:
DCasey91 wrote:

There list too lost Hayward too whose probably the most efficient one out of the three wings. Easily the best facilitator out of three

Hayward explanation doesn't work for me--he was terrible two years ago, and last season they were 14-6 when Hayward was injured in the RS. And Hayward missed almost all of the PO, including all of the really good series they played against the Raptors (and almost all of the series against us). So they were still a top-7 or so team without Hayward last year, can't be the main reason for the drop off.

stormi wrote: Their first ECF was also on the back of a genuinely stacked roster with the chuckers + Smart, Horford, Rozier, Morris, Hayward etc. Most of those players are gone.
Not sure that's the right explanation either: Hayward didn't play at all that year (zero minutes in that playoff run), Rozier was his usual ridiculously inefficient self besides a few hero games against us, Morris shot 36% that playoffs (30% against us), and they still have Smart.

I get that it helps a lot to have competent vets out there, but it just seems like they were better than sum of parts for the past 3 years, and now whatever intangible thing was making that happen aint there anymore.

They had an inexplanably deep roster that insulated their two young players right out of the gate and that led to immediate success and notoriety around the league. And then naturally the overrating followed. That isn't to say they aren't very talented, but context matters. Compared to Embiid and Simmons who were winning 50 games as the focal points, immediately.

Whether Hayward didn't play that year or whether Aron Baynes turned into Klay Thompson whenever we played them doesn't really matter. The point was just contrasting then and then now, relying on guys like Robert Williams and Smart to be reliable nightly and not having multiple other guys that could go for 20 or 30 on any given night. The loss of Gordon Hayward for nothing has been massive on that roster. He was a dependable and go-to 3 level scorer that you could toss the ball to and he could get a bucket on any defender. The luxuries and security blankets their young players once had have vanished. But the massive overrating has remained. Hopefully the narrative can be readjusted a bit after this season.

And I like Tatum a lot, but he's still a streaky jumpshooter that doesn't insulate those around him. At his best he's Paul George and that isn't a gamebreaker that you build around.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,786

Post#140 » by eyeatoma » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:01 am

So this is why Ben has been having issues (where he said there's a lot going on right now). His half-brother who he's very close to (Sean Tribe I believe), molested his sister since she was 3. Yeah that's definitely got to mess with you a bit. Glad to know it's not the knee. Horrible to hear what happened to his sister. This is probably rocking Ben's world right now. I believe Ben just bought him a brand new car recently.

Unless there is a different half-brother. I believe this is the guy who trained him also. So given that they have that bond, it has to mess with your psyche that the person who trained you all your life, molested your sister as a little girl.

Read on Twitter

Return to Philadelphia 76ers