ImageImageImage

I miss Fournier AOS: PHI 106, BOS 96 (25-26)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Re: I miss Fournier AOS: PHI 106, BOS 96 (25-26) 

Post#81 » by Captain_Caveman » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:40 am

Us playing a real team after a couple of games vs injured slob teams.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,413

Post#82 » by Triple7 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:40 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:
Triple7 wrote:I don’t think Tatum is an elite offensive player. He’s been hovering at 20pts a game on poor efficiency this season. Guys like Kyrie, KD, booker, Harden, heck even PG now has over 20 before half time, can easily go off for 20 in just one half. Tatum has all the skill set to be one of the best on both ends, but maybe Stevens’ system doesn’t allow that to happen.

Sorry but I just don't understand ANY of this post. Tatum is in no way HOVERING around 20 ppg. He has been pretty consistent all season putting up around 25 a game. Currently, he's putting up 25/7/4 numbers and he's actually playing better since the All-Star break he's actually scoring more and shooting WAY better from 3 and from the floor overall. He's even taking more 3's now and shooting them better. And after this, after suggesting that he's not an elite offensive player, it seems like you're blaming Brad more for his shortcoming than him.

Huh?

https://www.espn.com/nba/player/splits/_/id/4065648/jayson-tatum

Exactly correct i blame Brad. There is no one else but him. Tatum is hovering around 20pts a game. Not saying exactly 20 :lol: . I also said he has every skills to be one of the best, which is true. I blame Brad for Tatum’s and the team’s shortcomings to finish off close games. It’s all iso and hero ball at crunch time for Brad, and it’s **** frustrating to watch.
aussie_pride
Junior
And1: 190

Post#83 » by aussie_pride » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:44 am

threrf23 wrote:
grindtime22 wrote:
I don't know about that

You need big boys to defend Embiid. Kanter was our best defender on him last year by a mile and he would be this year as well. You just need guys that aren't going to be easily bullied. If he makes jumpers, he makes jumpers. Oh well. The free throws will not be as easy to come by in the postseason. Its obvious that Morey ball has taken Embiid to a new level, but he won't get as much garbage in the postseason.

On the other end, the Nuggets have everything to exploit the drop. If Jokic lets it fly, that would severely disrupt Philly's defense. The blueprint to beat these drop defenses is out there and everybody knows it. It just doesn't get ratcheted up until the postseason.

Embiid might be the most imposing big man in the league. But he isn't the best big man in the league, he's not better than Jokic, and the Nuggets have the more well rounded team. And Aaron Gordon might not be a superstar, but he is an absolutely perfect fit for the Nuggets, makes it a lot easier to match up with guys like Simmons and Harris.

(Gordon, similar to Fournier IMO, is an elite-ish role player who shines when surrounded by better players, as opposed to being a star on a rebuilding team)

Miami/Philly makes an interesting matchup too, Bam is savvy and Miami has elite perimeter D to match up with Philly's nothing special guard play.

The Nuggets are the perfect example of what a basketball team should play like. If you look at the way they play they are completely unselfish in moving the ball. Furthermore, their main superstar in Jokic has figured out how to maximise his teammates strengths and as a result, has got them to a stage where they can win without him.
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#84 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:47 am

Poop
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#85 » by return2glory » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:49 am

Kalela wrote:Has Stevens ever beat Rivers. Somehow I don't recall that happening. Not recently anyway. In any case, I really don't understand the genius behind doubling off someone like Kormaz or Danny Green.

Stevens was in the ECF last season. Where was Doc’s Clippers? Clippers were a more talented team.

Doc is an average coach. Only reason he has a championship is because Danny went and got Doc KG, Ray, Posey, Cassell and PJ Brown. Not to mention he got him Thibs.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,835

Post#86 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:50 am

Triple7 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
Triple7 wrote:I don’t think Tatum is an elite offensive player. He’s been hovering at 20pts a game on poor efficiency this season. Guys like Kyrie, KD, booker, Harden, heck even PG now has over 20 before half time, can easily go off for 20 in just one half. Tatum has all the skill set to be one of the best on both ends, but maybe Stevens’ system doesn’t allow that to happen.

Sorry but I just don't understand ANY of this post. Tatum is in no way HOVERING around 20 ppg. He has been pretty consistent all season putting up around 25 a game. Currently, he's putting up 25/7/4 numbers and he's actually playing better since the All-Star break he's actually scoring more and shooting WAY better from 3 and from the floor overall. He's even taking more 3's now and shooting them better. And after this, after suggesting that he's not an elite offensive player, it seems like you're blaming Brad more for his shortcoming than him.

Huh?

Exactly correct i blame Brad. There is no one else but him. Tatum is hovering around 20pts a game. Not saying exactly 20 :lol: . I also said he has every skills to be one of the best, which is true. I blame Brad for Tatum’s and the team’s shortcomings to finish off close games. It’s all iso and hero ball at crunch time for Brad, and it’s **** frustrating to watch.

Trip, c'mon man...you say he's hovering around 20ppg and he's been consistently at 25 all season. Are you trying to tell me that in NBA numbers, there's no difference between 20 ppg and 25? FWIW, Fournier has hovered around 20ppg all season. It feels like you're taking serious liberties with your analysis to make this point. The company Tatum is keeping at 25 is a much different tier of offensive talent than the company he'd be keeping if he was hovering around 20.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
aussie_pride
Junior

Post#87 » by aussie_pride » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:52 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:

Huh?

Tatum scores a lot of points because he takes the most shots on the team. While he is talented and can create his own shot, he does this way too often and as a result, takes a lot of bad shots and does not maximise the talents of his teammates. The add on to this is that the Celtics are losing games. With all that being said, I think Brad Stevens has to take a lot of the blame for this because our half-court game is pretty bad. A lot of people are whinging about the talent or lack of on the team but I think we have all the tools to succeed. Given that our team is full of shooters and we seem to like playing 3-ball, I find it stagger as to why Brad hasn't implemented a motion-based offence. At the very least, he should be creating plays for spot up shots for the likes of Tatum and Brown. Have you seen those guys as spot up shooters? Everything falls for them? Similarly, where is the pick and roll game, the off-ball cuts etcs? Tatum and Brown have such well-rounded skillsets but they are being used poorly. What frustrates me even more is that we have seen what the team can do when they move the ball. I know it was the Rockets but the principal remains the same: moving the ball = higher quality scoring opportunities.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#88 » by return2glory » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:53 am

Brown and Smart had horrible games. Smart with 6 turnover. Brown had 0 assists and 3 turnovers. But ever lazy on offense and on defense.

We were sloppy handling the ball. We didn’t have chance to move the ball around for open shots because we kept giving the ball to the Sixers.

I wasn’t expecting a win without Fournier.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,413

Post#89 » by Triple7 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:53 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:

Huh?

Trip, c'mon man...you say he's hovering around 20ppg and he's been consistently at 25 all season. Are you trying to tell me that in NBA numbers, there's no difference between 20 ppg and 25? FWIW, Fournier has hovered around 20ppg all season. It feels like you're taking serious liberties with your analysis to make this point. The company Tatum is keeping at 25 is a much different tier of offensive talent than the company he'd be keeping if he was hovering around 20.

Woah! Ok hovering at 25! :lol:
My point is he needs to score 40 at times if needed to win, but he somehow can’t.
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,251

Post#90 » by TheMartian » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:07 am

Reposting from the game thread:

Read on Twitter

Perk just called out JT.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#91 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:09 am

Triple7 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
Triple7 wrote:

My point is he needs to score 40 at times if needed to win, but he somehow can’t.

Okay. Better argument. :lol: :lol:

He does. Here's my rebuttal to that. He's not as good yet now, as he will be in a couple of years. He consistently sees doubles and Danny has not provided him with the supporting cast to make other teams pay for doing so, so it will continue. It would be better if he was surrounded by more veteran players. He probably needs to get more shots. But Jaylen and Kemba syohon off some of the shots he could take.

bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#92 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:10 am

TheMartian wrote:Reposting from the game thread:

Read on Twitter

Perk just called out JT.

Perk's an idiot.

aussie_pride
Junior

Post#93 » by aussie_pride » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:35 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:
Triple7 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:

He does. Here's my rebuttal to that. He's not as good yet now, as he will be in a couple of years. He consistently sees doubles and Danny has not provided him with the supporting cast to make other teams pay for doing so, so it will continue. It would be better if he was surrounded by more veteran players. He probably needs to get more shots. But Jaylen and Kemba syohon off some of the shots he could take.

Tatum does not see that may doubles at all! The problem with Tatum is that is he is in love with his step back and fadeaway jump shots. Teams know that these are his go to moves and defend it accordingly. It also doesn't help that he takes a lot of these shots from long range! Fadeaway and step back shots are hard enough to take when you have a bit of space let alone when they are contest and from three. He should only be really taking these shots sporadically or to catch defenders off-guard.

In terms of the supporting cast, what more could he want? Kemba is a 4 x All Star and Jaylen Brown is in the top tier of two way players in the NBA. Furthermore, Kemba has a great personality and is completely selfless in moving the ball. If anything, Kemba should probably be taking the ball out of Tatum's hands more! People on here have been mentioning Bradly Beal as a trade option. Adding him would be an unmitigated disaster as he in that category of players who is going to want and need shots or there will be locker room issues.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#94 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:49 am

aussie_pride wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
Triple7 wrote:

Tatum does not see that may doubles at all! The problem with Tatum is that is he is in love with his step back and fadeaway jump shots. Teams know that these are his go to moves and defend it accordingly. It also doesn't help that he takes a lot of these shots from long range! Fadeaway and step back shots are hard enough to take when you have a bit of space let alone when they are contest and from three. He should only be really taking these shots sporadically or to catch defenders off-guard.

In terms of the supporting cast, what more could he want? Kemba is a 4 x All Star and Jaylen Brown is in the top tier of two way players in the NBA. Furthermore, Kemba has a great personality and is completely selfless in moving the ball. If anything, Kemba should probably be taking the ball out of Tatum's hands more! People on here have been mentioning Bradly Beal as a trade option. Adding him would be an unmitigated disaster as he in that category of players who is going to want and need shots or there will be locker room issues.

There is way too much to unpack here so I think I'm just gonna chalk this post up to you and I see VERY different games.

aussie_pride
Junior

Post#95 » by aussie_pride » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:53 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:
aussie_pride wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:

There is way too much to unpack here so I think I'm just gonna chalk this post up to you and I see VERY different games.

That's fine and I can accept that. But the idea that he does not have a good support cast is ludicrous!
CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Post#96 » by CelticsLV » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:26 am

JHTruth wrote:
PierceFan4ever wrote:If Durant is healthy nobody is beating the Nets. KD is also the best player on the planet imo.

LOL you guys honestly think Durant is going to return to the court as his old self? Guy hasn't played like the whole year. He's 32 coming off an achilles tear.

He's KG post-2009. Everyone is going to wait for him to return to his former self and he just won't have that gear

Where have you been? :lol: Durant already played this year and put up some of the best scoring numbers of his career on otherwordly efficiency. His stats are all above career averages.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#97 » by djFan71 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:32 am

JHTruth wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:I hope we see much less Robert Williams is a star after tonight. 6'8" centers with low BBIQ don't stack up well against true centers. We've managed to avoid many of those recently due to injuries/rest but tonight gives you the reality of the situation. Also, if your best player is Jaylen Brown you aren't going anywhere. He's got to have some of the worst hands and BBIQ in the league for a SG and is just an average defender now.
If I'm Nesmith I'm begging my agent to get me the hell out of here. Langford isn't it. And to lose minutes to him, Semi, and Grant Williams means Brad has something personal against him.
Don't worry, we'll face some more teams absent multiple starters so everyone can pretend TimeLord is special and we're golden now that Langford is back. Fret not.

LOL F**** off bro. Nesmith going to demand a trade?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let's not tell each other to **** off, please.
CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Post#98 » by CelticsLV » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:55 am

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Just a lost season. Losing Hayward sucked. I get that we have the most games lost to Covid health and safety protocols. I understand that our best guys are also under 25 too. But man, the effort has been bad. Finding new ways to lose games by big margins is also jarring to me. It seems like we are trending towards a loss in the play-in game. And if I’m going to be honest with you, at this point, I’d be satisfied with lasting 6-7 games in the first round. That’s how much I’ve lowered my expectations for this year.

I actually don't understand how this "games lost because of covid" are calculated. If Thompson and Langford are counted then that excuse can be thrown out of the window.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,681

Post#99 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:56 am

threrf23 wrote:Philly tends to be a tough matchup for us. Our offense is too reliant on shooting and that makes us reliant on rhythm and it's tough to establish rhythm when you are getting pushed around by Embiid/Dwight/Simmons. Timelord has been a needed revelation, but he doesn't gives us the physical presence (nor the savvy presence) necessary to match up here.

Lose Fournier & TT & find out the whole team has prob been exposed to Covid, and we can't complain about a 10 point loss.

15 points before garbage time.

For once I'm a little concerned about Nesmith not playing. Why wasn't he slotted in as a Fournier replacement? He can do everything Fournier does except pass, and the alternatives don't pass either. He does them with rookie unreliability, of course, and there's no assurance that even as a vet he'll equal Fournier. But he's basically the same kind of player.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,681

Post#100 » by Fencer reregistered » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:58 am

playa-hater wrote:Sadly I think my worst fear will come to pass. Purgatory.. Too good to tank and too azz to get a good playoff spot. damn any and all responsible for this..

You think things need to be blown up ... and you're afraid that Danny won't do it?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to Boston Celtics