ImageImageImage

Which likely playoff teams are you worried about?

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Utah Jazz
4%
LA Clippers
15%
Denver Nuggets
40%
LA Lakers
40%
Dallas Mavericks
No votes
Memphis Grizzlies
No votes
Portland Trailblazers
2%
New Orleans Pelicans
No votes
San Antonio Spurs
No votes
Golden State Warriors
No votes

Total votes: 48

lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,622

Post#1 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:33 am

Forget seeding and HCA for a second, personally I'm really only worried about the Lakers.

Against the Lakers, we have a few guys we could try on Lebron but I think he'll find a way through pretty much the entire warehouse of wings we have. Then with AD, we only have Ayton who I think will do a decent job on but just as easily, I think AD could get Ayton into foul trouble forcing us to put Dario on early.

Utah is a worry because they play really well as a team, that group has playoff experience together and importantly, they have a chip on their shoulder. They've seen how people look at the Bucks who are an elite regular season team but flamed out in multiple playoff runs and now that the Jazz have the best record in the league, I think their goal is at least making the Finals. We'll see how we play against them in our final two meetings of the season when both teams are trying to play their best basketball heading into the playoffs.

Denver is a concern but less so because I'm only worried about Jokic. I think we have good enough guys to throw at Murray to make that series miserable for him.

Dame and the Blazers only worry me in close games but again, things might change now that their key guys next to Dame are healthy so we'll see how they go over the next month or so.

Obviously we could fall to any number of teams in the playoffs but Lakers are the clear cut team that worry me.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,426

Re: Which likely playoff teams are you worried about? 

Post#2 » by SunsRback4Good » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:59 am

Lakers, Nuggets, Clippers and Jazz in that particular order.

Lakers- Just coming off fresh from a championship. They've 627 playoff game experience between all their players ( yes, checked every player on BF). Out of those 627 Lebron alone has 260 games. The Lakers also have two top 10 players in the league and just added Drummond for rebounding & alley oop purposes.

Nuggets- Had a spectacular playoffs, literally a team full of warriors who refused to go down and lose a series until finally meeting their match to the NBA champs. Didn't look like they'd get back to the Conference finals again but possible had best trade deadline adding Gordon & Mcgree and dumping a starter in Harris who continues to be injured and declining.

Clippers- Like BW said in previous thread they'll make serious noise after what transpired last season. Kawhi + George will be extra motivated to prove their worth and no more blowing big series leads with Tyron Lou like Doc Rivers has for majority of his coaching career. At last, added a competent pg that they desperately needed since losing Shai. Even at 35, Rondo has a record list of playoff experience who just was a big part in helping the Lakers win it all last year.

Jazz- Just like Clippers blew a 3-1 series lead to the same team. Will be angry and ready to prove to the league how good they have become. Add Bogdanovic last year and the Nuggets may be going home much earlier than expected. They're pretty much a spitting image of Phoenix just shoot better from the three point line. Jazz can also defend and have DPOY which helps extremely.
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#3 » by Bogyo » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:24 am

SunsRback4Good wrote:Lakers, Nuggets, Clippers and Jazz in that particular order.

Lakers- Just coming off fresh from a championship. They've 627 playoff game experience between all their players ( yes, checked every player on BF). Out of those 627 Lebron alone has 260 games. The Lakers also have two top 10 players in the league and just added Drummond for rebounding & alley oop purposes.

Nuggets- Had a spectacular playoffs, literally a team full of warriors who refused to go down and lose a series until finally meeting their match to the NBA champs. Didn't look like they'd get back to the Conference finals again but possible had best trade deadline adding Gordon & Mcgree and dumping a starter in Harris who continues to be injured and declining.

Clippers- Like BW said in previous thread they'll make serious noise after what transpired last season. Kawhi + George will be extra motivated to prove their worth and no more blowing big series leads with Tyron Lou like Doc Rivers has for majority of his coaching career. At last, added a competent pg that they desperately needed since losing Shai. Even at 35, Rondo has a record list of playoff experience who just was a big part in helping the Lakers win it all last year.

Jazz- Just like Clippers blew a 3-1 series lead to the same team. Will be angry and ready to prove to the league how good they have become. Add Bogdanovic last year and the Nuggets may be going home much earlier than expected. They're pretty much a spitting image of Phoenix just shoot better from the three point line. Jazz can also defend and have DPOY which helps extremely.

Same, only I'd add the Trailblazers to the same tier as the Jazz. I think we match up well with the Jazz, and they are bound to come back to earth, they have been playing out of their minds so long. Traliblazers are the opposite, they underachieved becouse of injuries - which are starting to clear now, and the Powell addition is sneaky good. On paper he ain't much better overall than Trent, but he seems to fit better, and seems really hungry. Add this to the equasion: Trailblazers (with all their injuries) are 20-7 in "clutch" games, where clutch is 5mins remaining and game within 5 points - this is basically playoffs, more close games than not. If they are healthy in the playoffs, they are a handfull for anybody.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,629

Post#4 » by Calvin Klein » Tue Apr 6, 2021 11:50 am

I'm only worried about a tough first round matchup. Because getting the lakers, Nuggets or Portland in the first round would suck. If we get out of the first round, then any team will be tough and we'd probably be underdogs so I'm ok with that.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,809

Post#5 » by Saberestar » Tue Apr 6, 2021 12:01 pm

Lakers and Clippers.

They have stars and depth. True contenders.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,412

Post#6 » by bwgood77 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:44 pm

I'm not really worried about the playoffs. I'm happy we are back. If we can be a competitive playoff team and maybe win a series, I'll be happy. If we win 2, I'll be pretty ecstatic, and obviously any more than that would be phenomenal.

But the Clippers and then the size of the Lakers would be the toughest teams for us, if healthy.

Chris Mannix, at SI doesn't seem to take us too seriously, based on his paragraph near the end...article starts out talking about how they may have to play in one of the play in games...but asks if anyone thinks they would have a problem getting the 7 seed beating Memphis, SA or whoever else.

Betting against LeBron to fail just doesn’t work. It’s like betting on Floyd Mayweather to lose—you convince yourself it can happen, right up until they walk through the competition. Last season, in arguably the most challenging environment in NBA playoff history, LeBron and Co. lost three times in the Western Conference playoffs.

And this year the Lakers are better. Montrezl Harrell, the reigning Sixth Man award winner, has been as advertised, nearly mirroring last season’s production while raising his free throw percentage—critical come playoff time—to 71%. Dennis Schröder, effectively swapped for Rajon Rondo, has been excellent. Pre-LeBron injury, the Lakers roughest stretch came before the All-Star break, when L.A. went 0-4 with Schröder in the NBA’s health and safety protocols. Talen Horton-Tucker is among the NBA’s most improved players.

And then there is Andre Drummond. The Lakers got just 14 minutes out of Drummond last week before the ex-All-Star was forced out with a toe(nail) injury. But it was enough to see his potential. Against Milwaukee, Drummond blocked a shot, altered a couple more and generally supplied the kind of physical defensive presence L.A. lost with the offseason exit of Dwight Howard. And Drummond—who had not played since mid-February—is only going to get better.

The Lakers will try to tread water the next few weeks. They will need more ball movement, after totaling 16 assists in the loss to the Clippers. “We have to play together as much as possible,” says Kentavius Caldwell-Pope. They have to get easy opportunities. “Lakers basketball, we’re great in transition,” says Caldwell-Pope. “We haven’t been able to do that lately.”

They will need the best out of Marc Gasol. Gasol expressed frustration last week about being supplanted in the Lakers rotation by Drummond. “You're not Plan A right now,” Gasol said. “You're Plan C [or] D. You have to accept it because that's your job. And that's what you sign up to do. It's never easy to accept that.” But Gasol will be needed with Drummond out, as well as in the playoffs, where Gasol is steeped in the kind of experience Drummond lacks.

So the path to the Finals could be tougher. So L.A. may face Utah, Denver or the Clippers in the first or second round instead of the conference finals. James has been in this position before, and now he has a reloaded lineup to support him and a defense that ranks atop the NBA.

Picking on the Lakers in April is easy.

Pick against them in May at your own peril.
RunDogGun
No Sham, More Cam
And1: 5,437

Post#7 » by RunDogGun » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:04 pm

All the teams could be tough, so if we are struggling, we could lose to anyone, and if we are rolling, I think we can beat anyone. At this moment, and not seeing how we play Utah back to back yet, I would say Denver and Utah worry me the most at this moment. Denver, just because they seem to win even when counted out, and Utah has massive confidence. Lakers are an unknown, because we just don't know the health factor, and then how it plays out if fully healthy. Clips can turn it on at any moment, but also seem like they could fall apart at times. Memphis could be a problem too, but I think that will depend on how/if they enter the playoffs.

I think we could beat Dallas or Portland in a seven game series. If we play out the final games rolling, healthy, and playing as a team, I think more teams will be scared of us, more than we will be of them.
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,031

Post#8 » by sunsbg » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:16 pm

I will start worrying when the team wins a title and is considered the favorite. Until then I'll enjoy every playoff game. It's been a while since last playoff game.
Calvin Klein
RealGM
And1: 7,629

Post#9 » by Calvin Klein » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:34 am

bwgood77 wrote:I'm not really worried about the playoffs. I'm happy we are back. If we can be a competitive playoff team and maybe win a series, I'll be happy. If we win 2, I'll be pretty ecstatic, and obviously any more than that would be phenomenal.

But the Clippers and then the size of the Lakers would be the toughest teams for us, if healthy.

Chris Mannix, at SI doesn't seem to take us too seriously, based on his paragraph near the end...article starts out talking about how they may have to play in one of the play in games...but asks if anyone thinks they would have a problem getting the 7 seed beating Memphis, SA or whoever else.

Betting against LeBron to fail just doesn’t work. It’s like betting on Floyd Mayweather to lose—you convince yourself it can happen, right up until they walk through the competition. Last season, in arguably the most challenging environment in NBA playoff history, LeBron and Co. lost three times in the Western Conference playoffs.

And this year the Lakers are better. Montrezl Harrell, the reigning Sixth Man award winner, has been as advertised, nearly mirroring last season’s production while raising his free throw percentage—critical come playoff time—to 71%. Dennis Schröder, effectively swapped for Rajon Rondo, has been excellent. Pre-LeBron injury, the Lakers roughest stretch came before the All-Star break, when L.A. went 0-4 with Schröder in the NBA’s health and safety protocols. Talen Horton-Tucker is among the NBA’s most improved players.

And then there is Andre Drummond. The Lakers got just 14 minutes out of Drummond last week before the ex-All-Star was forced out with a toe(nail) injury. But it was enough to see his potential. Against Milwaukee, Drummond blocked a shot, altered a couple more and generally supplied the kind of physical defensive presence L.A. lost with the offseason exit of Dwight Howard. And Drummond—who had not played since mid-February—is only going to get better.

The Lakers will try to tread water the next few weeks. They will need more ball movement, after totaling 16 assists in the loss to the Clippers. “We have to play together as much as possible,” says Kentavius Caldwell-Pope. They have to get easy opportunities. “Lakers basketball, we’re great in transition,” says Caldwell-Pope. “We haven’t been able to do that lately.”

They will need the best out of Marc Gasol. Gasol expressed frustration last week about being supplanted in the Lakers rotation by Drummond. “You're not Plan A right now,” Gasol said. “You're Plan C [or] D. You have to accept it because that's your job. And that's what you sign up to do. It's never easy to accept that.” But Gasol will be needed with Drummond out, as well as in the playoffs, where Gasol is steeped in the kind of experience Drummond lacks.

So the path to the Finals could be tougher. So L.A. may face Utah, Denver or the Clippers in the first or second round instead of the conference finals. James has been in this position before, and now he has a reloaded lineup to support him and a defense that ranks atop the NBA.

Picking on the Lakers in April is easy.

Pick against them in May at your own peril.

Yeah, I think most people would not pick us to win most series, unless we play somebody like Memphis, Warriors or maybe Dallas. It's understandable though, because of the lack of playoff experience that Booker, Ayton and Bridges have.
I still can't believe we're the second seed this far into the season.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#10 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:50 am

I think most teams would think we're an easy out no matter where they meet us in the playoffs. Totally reasonable considering our core guys haven't taken their playoff beatings and lows yet but having experienced playoff tested non-token vets could be a real difference maker - at least I hope so.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,339

Post#11 » by Revived » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:29 am

Lakers, Clippers and Nuggets. Anyone else I think we have a fighting chance against.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,663

Post#12 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:15 am

Suns current playoffs experience.

Paul -109 games

Crowder- 72 games

Saric- 10 games. He was really good in that first Philly playoff run.

Cam Payne played 64 garbage time playoff minutes for OKC

Anyone they play is going to be tough and likely more playoff tested. Sun play good D and if they hit 3s they could beat anyone. Getting Booker, Bridges, Ayton, and Johnson some playoff experience is going to be great for this team moving forward.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#13 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:56 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Suns current playoffs experience.

Paul -109 games

Crowder- 72 games

Anyone they play is going to be tough and likely more playoff tested. Sun play good D and if they hit 3s they could beat anyone. Getting Booker, Bridges, Ayton, and Johnson some playoff experience is going to be great for this team moving forward.

Also noting that Monty only has 10 games under his belt as a coach and 30 as a player (getting out of the 1st round 3 times)

I agree with what you said about being at disadvantage when it comes to playoff experience but we certainly wouldn't have just squeaked into the playoffs like a 7th or 8th seed team. We're a legit dangerous team and without any playoff history (in the past decade) that could potentially play to our advantage and we could be a real WCF sleeper. I think we play a brand of basketball that suits the playoffs
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#14 » by cberry78 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:45 am

In the West, I'm really only concerned about the Lakers. Against anyone else in a 7 game series I'd put the (healthy) Suns as having a better chance to win than not. The Lakers when healthy are the only team I wouldn't pick the Suns over. In the East, I'd put the Suns up against anyone except the Nets....and maybe the Sixers if they were 100% healthy.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
MrMiyagi
Suns Forum Eternal Optimist
And1: 7,166

Post#15 » by MrMiyagi » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:04 am

The playoff team I'm most worried about is the Phoenix Suns.
Suns traded Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder and 4 1st round picks and a swap so some Vegas Bookies would like us.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. - Isaac Asimov
Let us sing when we can, and forget the rest. - H.P. Lovecraft
sunstrooper
Sophomore
And1: 94

Post#16 » by sunstrooper » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:28 am

From pure basketball standpoint - Denver and Utah in that order.
From pure league agenda standpoint - both LA teams will have a huge reff support against the Suns. Probably Portland as well.
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,807

Post#17 » by RedIndian » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:35 am

Paul -109 games

Crowder- 72 games

Torrey Craig - 33 games
Kaminsky - 7 games
Galloway - 4 games
Etwaun Moore - 9 games

Nader and Payne have some garbage time experience as well in the playoffs.
SunsRback4Good
RealGM
And1: 11,426

Post#18 » by SunsRback4Good » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:49 am

RedIndian wrote:

Paul -109 games

Crowder- 72 games

Torrey Craig - 33 games
Kaminsky - 7 games
Galloway - 4 games
Etwaun Moore - 9 games

Nader and Payne have some garbage time experience as well in the playoffs.

Kinda hard to believe that Suns have nearly 250 games of playoff experience as a team. Which is pretty high considering Booker, Ayton, Bridges and Cam haven't sniffed one PG yet. We're not that playoff inexperienced as many would like to believe.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#19 » by Mulhollanddrive » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:41 am

Assuming full strength for playoffs:

Tier 1: Lakers
Tier 2: Clippers, Denver, Utah, Phoenix
Bogyo
Analyst
And1: 2,254

Post#20 » by Bogyo » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:46 am

Mulhollanddrive wrote:Assuming full strength for playoffs:

Tier 1: Lakers
Tier 2: Clippers, Denver, Utah, Phoenix

A healthy Portland is definatley in the 2nd tier too imho.

Return to Phoenix Suns