NBA MVP Discussion '20-'21, Part 2 (Poll created 21 March '21)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who be's the MVPs?

Giannis Antetokounmpo
10%
Steph Curry
9%
Luka Doncic
4%
Joel Embiid
6%
James Harden
6%
LeBron James
2%
Nikola Jokic
54%
Kawhi Leonard
1%
Damian Lillard
2%
Some other guy (tell us who!)
5%

Total votes: 572

dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,147

Re: NBA MVP Discussion '20-'21, Part 2 (Poll created 21 March '21) 

Post#601 » by dygaction » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:47 am

AleksandarN wrote:
GSP wrote:Image

Joel getting as many free throws this game as Jokic in his last 6 combined :lol: :lol:

I wonder if the refs will keep giving Joel these calls in the playoffs. He def needs them based on his playoff career

Look how many and 1s he should have had this game. Just from the highlights alone

Tomorrow's news would be filled by how dominant Embiid is, whether Lakers' can survive with AD/LeBron out, how playoff rondo changed the LAC, and who is more important - Harden or Durant.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,676

Post#602 » by Dupp » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:26 am

eyeatoma wrote:
dygaction wrote:
Jurassic_Park wrote:
Yup. Jokic simply dominating. Imagine jokic sat 20 games like embiid. Nuggets would be toast.

Embiid sitting 10 games did not hurt 76ers a bit should also strengthen Jokic's case.

Jokic had a terrible week last week, if you take his season numbers into consideration. I will not put it past Jo to get back into this thing.

:lol: No he didnt. They went undefeated and he played great.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 10,999

Post#603 » by eyeatoma » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:37 am

Dupp wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
dygaction wrote:
Embiid sitting 10 games did not hurt 76ers a bit should also strengthen Jokic's case.

Jokic had a terrible week last week, if you take his season numbers into consideration. I will not put it past Jo to get back into this thing.

No he didnt. They went undefeated and he played great.
Definition of a homer.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk
Dupp
RealGM

Post#604 » by Dupp » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:04 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Dupp wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Definition of a homer.

Hope the irony isn't lost on you.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#605 » by eyeatoma » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:11 am

Dupp wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Dupp wrote:

Definition of a homer.

Hope the irony isn't lost on you.

I'm not being a homer buddy. I'm stating facts. The biggest homers on here have been about Jokic.
azapikoa
Sophomore
And1: 105

Post#606 » by azapikoa » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:33 am

A fact is Embiid will likely end the regular season having missed 1/3 of the games. That's not MVP worthy.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#607 » by eyeatoma » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:38 am

azapikoa wrote:A fact is Embiid will likely end the regular season having missed 1/3 of the games. That's not MVP worthy.

This isn't a normal season either.

Let's look at the candidates:

Embiid (missed a good chunk of time) - maybe has a chance
LeBron - will miss too much time (6-8 weeks), no chance, and the legacy narrative was weak. He'll need to come back this week to have any chance.
Joker- Stellar season, Nuggets winning now, but Joker's production has dropped off the last week. Had a great game today. But I'd say he needs a top 2 see atleast
Giannis - Out with Knee issues, Playing well, voter fatigue
Lillard - Came on really well prior to all star break, has had hit a big rut production wise in the last 2 weeks. Record is not great, they are a slightly above average team in the West.
Harden - Bailed on his team in Houston, put up historic numbers in Brooklyn, but will now miss minimum 10 games (feel like that's the nail in the coffin, given that it was already a stretch for him to win it with the Houston narrative).

It's still anyone's game.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#608 » by Dupp » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:44 am

eyeatoma wrote:
azapikoa wrote:A fact is Embiid will likely end the regular season having missed 1/3 of the games. That's not MVP worthy.

Embiid (missed a good chunk of time) - maybe has a chance
LeBron - missed to much time, no chance, and the legacy narrative was weak
Joker- Stellar season, Nuggets winning now, but Joker's production has dropped off the last week. Had a great game today. But I'd say he needs a top 2 see atleast
Lillard - Came on really well prior to all star break, has had hit a big rut production wise in the last 2 weeks. Record is not great, they are a slightly above average team in the West.
Harden - Bailed on his team in Houston, put up historic numbers in Brooklyn, but will now miss minimum 10 games (feel like that's the nail in the coffin, given that it was already a stretch for him to win it with the Houston narrative).

Lebrons played 8 more games than embiid fyi.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#609 » by eyeatoma » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:45 am

Dupp wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Embiid (missed a good chunk of time) - maybe has a chanceLeBron - missed to much time, no chance, and the legacy narrative was weak

He'll miss more. Prognosis is 6-8 weeks.
Dupp
RealGM

Post#610 » by Dupp » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:48 am

eyeatoma wrote:
Dupp wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Embiid (missed a good chunk of time) - maybe has a chanceLeBron - missed to much time, no chance, and the legacy narrative was weak

He'll miss more.

Than Joel? Wouldn't count on it. Either way it'll be close in games played.

Pretty much everyone has something or a lot going against them besides Jokic. Its a very weak year. Giannis is really the only one that can even challenge.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#611 » by eyeatoma » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:50 am

Dupp wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
Dupp wrote:

He'll miss more.

Pretty much everyone has something or a lot going against them besides Jokic. Its a very weak year. Giannis is really the only one that can even challenge.

Yeah agreed. Which is why I don't think they're just going to give it to Joker. They might, but I wouldn't be shocked if Giannis or Embiid won it.
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,710

Post#612 » by eminence » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:57 pm

It's Jokics to lose at this point. Gobert is the clear next in line imo, Giannis a clear 3rd, nobody else all that close. If forced to choose I'd probably go with Kawhi in 4th right now. Not sure I could force myself to pick a 5th, they're so far off the pace it doesn't matter.
I bought a boat.
chaimer
Freshman
And1: 36

Post#613 » by chaimer » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:07 pm

eminence wrote:It's Jokics to lose at this point. Gobert is the clear next in line imo, Giannis a clear 3rd, nobody else all that close. If forced to choose I'd probably go with Kawhi in 4th right now. Not sure I could force myself to pick a 5th, they're so far off the pace it doesn't matter.

Gobert next in line? :rofl:
NADALalot
Senior
And1: 352

Post#614 » by NADALalot » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:27 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
Dupp wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
He'll miss more.

Yeah agreed. Which is why I don't think they're just going to give it to Joker. They might, but I wouldn't be shocked if Giannis or Embiid won it.

So if everyone has something going against them besides Jokic, why would Jokic lose the MVP race?
flranger
Senior
And1: 822

Post#615 » by flranger » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:20 pm

Can't wait to see what Jokic's "old man game" looks like when he is about 35. It will be a masterpiece to watch.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,147

Post#616 » by dygaction » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:48 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
Dupp wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
He'll miss more.

It is not a weak year but an extremely strong one. Embiid and LeBron all healthy it is still a three-way fight, but currently both of them have a long uphill to climb.
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#617 » by NY 567 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:05 pm

It's probably Jokics to lose but I still like Luka as a dark horse. The Mavs are rolling, Luka is ballin and they have a pretty easy schedule going forward. Lillard has a shot too. Embiid, LeBron and Harden are probably out of contention due to injuries.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,826

Post#618 » by Karate Diop » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:58 pm

For a big dude. Joel's flop game is amazing.
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,428

Post#619 » by Doctor MJ » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:59 pm

eminence wrote:It's Jokics to lose at this point. Gobert is the clear next in line imo, Giannis a clear 3rd, nobody else all that close. If forced to choose I'd probably go with Kawhi in 4th right now. Not sure I could force myself to pick a 5th, they're so far off the pace it doesn't matter.

I think it's interesting because it feels like there's a block keeping Gobert from getting serious MVP consideration. Feels like people see Gobert has "not a complete player" and ten to use the existence of Mitchell as a reason they can scratch Gobert from the list, but just from a value-added perspective this year, Gobert should be in the conversation.

I can see argument for Jokic, Gobert & Giannis all. I'm inclined to side with Jokic unless something changes, but Gobert really does have a shot to my MVP pick.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,673

Post#620 » by VanWest82 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:52 pm

One guy who should be getting a lot more consideration is Kawhi. He might be having his best season yet and Clippers have the record to get him in the discussion. He'd have to play a lot of mins from here on out but he has counting stats, advanced stats, and +/- all going for him. And he's paid his dues.

Return to The General Board