Trades, Transactions and Ideas Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

jake_swivel
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,079

Re: Trades, Transactions and Ideas Thread 

Post#1341 » by jake_swivel » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:41 am

cjmcallist wrote:Anyone listen to the Windhorst pod re: Thunder?

It really put a bug in my head. Nothing happens until the lottery of course. But, he proposed that if we don’t get a top 5 pick - SGA might be on the block to move us up into the top 3.

I might not be opposed to that. Would require more than just the pick of course. But, I could get see that happening.

Anyone else think that’s crazy? Or just premature until the lottery.

I think that’s crazy. There are no guaranteed superstars in this draft.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,186

Post#1342 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Apr 6, 2021 11:22 am

jake_swivel wrote:

It really put a bug in my head. Nothing happens until the lottery of course. But, he proposed that if we don’t get a top 5 pick - SGA might be on the block to move us up into the top 3.

I might not be opposed to that. Would require more than just the pick of course. But, I could get see that happening.

I think it has no chance of happening unless the guy that is cheering like crazy on the sidelines is unhappy here. Before the start of the year when shai looked like a low end all star i was pretty skeptical it might happen, but possible. At this point I think trading him for a future star is he family guy mystery box skit. Some of these guys may be better than shai but I bet he’s better than most of them.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#1343 » by cjmcallist » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:41 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:I think that’s crazy. There are no guaranteed superstars in this draft.

I think it has no chance of happening unless the guy that is cheering like crazy on the sidelines is unhappy here. Before the start of the year when shai looked like a low end all star i was pretty skeptical it might happen, but possible. At this point I think trading him for a future star is he family guy mystery box skit. Some of these guys may be better than shai but I bet he’s better than most of them.

I agree for now. But, I reserve the right to change my mind post-lottery. Still worried about tanking while Shai ascends. Hard to have the team and star player going in opposite directions.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1344 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:03 pm

cjmcallist wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:I think that’s crazy. There are no guaranteed superstars in this draft.

I agree for now. But, I reserve the right to change my mind post-lottery. Still worried about tanking while Shai ascends. Hard to have the team and star player going in opposite directions.

I think our window to build around shai is short but it’s not closed. Assuming the worst, he ought to be content for a couple more years. I might change my mind too but the league changes so much year over year it’s too early to say. We have no idea what opportunities will present themselves. Some gm will make a stupid trade to save his job or to clean house after being hired to build his own culture.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Dn4sty
Analyst
And1: 1,906

Post#1345 » by Dn4sty » Tue Apr 6, 2021 7:35 pm

cjmcallist wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

I feel like next trade deadline and then subsequent offseason is when OKC should/will make a decent push.

Even if they just run everything back with the roster they have intact, they would have every chance of making the play in game next season
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1346 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Apr 6, 2021 7:59 pm

I have a hard time seeing what stars could become available. KAT is the obvious one. Maybe Ingram? Fox might get tired of losing soon. Sabonis? Beyond that, not sure. Maybe we make a trade for a guy like Orlando version of Dipo and hope he makes a jump.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,856

Post#1347 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Apr 6, 2021 8:41 pm

OKC would be better off overpaying for the guy they target of the top-4 in this draft than trading SGA for that same guy. You adjust the timeline to SGA, not jettison the 22 year old budding star because he is too good and you planned to be bad for longer.

Every year SGA has made a jump. Until he flattens out for 2+ years you keep him and hope its one of those rare not-immediate-superstar trajectories (IE Harden, Leonard, etc). You cant assume he is done getting better.
Dn4sty
Analyst

Post#1348 » by Dn4sty » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:48 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:I have a hard time seeing what stars could become available. KAT is the obvious one. Maybe Ingram? Fox might get tired of losing soon. Sabonis? Beyond that, not sure. Maybe we make a trade for a guy like Orlando version of Dipo and hope he makes a jump.

Is some sort of Brogdon and/or Sabonis type scenario a possibility? I know Brogdon is older but he still has a lot left in his tank.

I also wonder if Jaylen Brown fits into this group
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1349 » by ThunderBolt » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:54 pm

Dn4sty wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:I have a hard time seeing what stars could become available. KAT is the obvious one. Maybe Ingram? Fox might get tired of losing soon. Sabonis? Beyond that, not sure. Maybe we make a trade for a guy like Orlando version of Dipo and hope he makes a jump.

Is some sort of Brogdon and/or Sabonis type scenario a possibility? I know Brogdon is older but he still has a lot left in his tank.

I also wonder if Jaylen Brown fits into this group

I like brown but I don’t see any scenario where Ainge moves him to us. Brogdon and Sabonis are guys I like and can see them being a finishing touch on a core like the hawks did with Bogdanovic and Gallo for Atlanta. Maybe we trade for a guy like that before we have to pay guys on rookie contracts. I like Sabonis more than Brogdon.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,058

Post#1350 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 10:55 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:

Yeah I'm not worried about SGA asking to leave. He looks happy to me (maybe in a year or two if it gets ugly). The fact that SGA has the same agent as Westbrook is huge...Presti & Thad Foucher probably know each other pretty well and if something is wrong, they will let Presti find the right move (and SGA right now is definitely worth more than a top pick in this year draft).

Even if Presti made the right moves, it's time to stop trading Shai's friends though...he needs to feel like home otherwise he will ask to leave as well.
Dn4sty
Analyst

Post#1351 » by Dn4sty » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:19 am

Dadouv47 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:

Yeah I'm not worried about SGA asking to leave. He looks happy to me (maybe in a year or two if it gets ugly). The fact that SGA has the same agent as Westbrook is huge...Presti & Thad Foucher probably know each other pretty well and if something is wrong, they will let Presti find the right move (and SGA right now is definitely worth more than a top pick in this year draft).

Even if Presti made the right moves, it's time to stop trading Shai's friends though...he needs to feel like home otherwise he will ask to leave as well.

To your last point about not trading SGA’s friends...I think this idea significantly increases Lu Dorts trade value.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#1352 » by Old Man Game » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:14 am

Does Windhorst know anything about our front office? I can't recall him ever breaking thunder news.

Sent from my moto g power using RealGM mobile app
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1353 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:11 am

Old Man Game wrote:

Does Windhorst know anything about our front office? I can't recall him ever breaking thunder news.

He was the first to report on CP3 to Phx rumors. He also seems to say a lot of stuff that’s wrong.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Post#1354 » by cjmcallist » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:54 am

ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:

He was the first to report on CP3 to Phx rumors. He also seems to say a lot of stuff that’s wrong.

I don’t think he has any particular insight into the situation. For the record, I didn’t mean to say he was reporting this. It was just speculating on a podcast.

But it was something I’d not thought of.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1355 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 12:46 pm

I don't trust any OKC rumor, even less from Windhorst. The CP3 situation was different because Presti allowed him to speak to other teams...was almost a FA situation.

I think Woj knows some obvious trade possibilities like Hill/Muscala etc. but Presi don't talk about deals. Nobody knew we were gonna trade Diallo.

No reason for Presti to change the way he approaches trade talks and it's not like he's already talking about a SGA trade with other GMs that could leak to Windhorst, so this is pure bul**** coming from him...he may be betting on the fact that our timeline is short with SGA and we could consider trading him.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1356 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:01 pm

I don't think this rumor has anything to it but we do occasionally have some leaks. We had been linked to Poku and we drafted him. Sometimes leaks can come from the other side of discussions.
mr570
Senior
And1: 290

Post#1357 » by mr570 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:41 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:

We need to get Cade and we need to empty the warchest to do it.

I doubt that happens but if we get the Rockets pick somehow and ours gets lucky...?
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#1358 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:13 pm

mr570 wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:

We need to get Cade and we need to empty the warchest to do it.

I doubt that happens but if we get the Rockets pick somehow and ours gets lucky...?

I'm not sure we need to get Cade (even if I badly want him).

I think we need a top 3 pick and overpay (send other very good picks) to get him. Not sure worth it.

I don't think a team would be able to jump from 4-5 to N°1.

At this point I'm fine drafting any of the top 5. Already gonna be difficult to move from 8-9 to 4-5.
Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,289

Post#1359 » by Old Man Game » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:52 pm

Feels timely that this list from ESPN just came out naming SGA as a top 10 player under 25 years old in the league. Pretty sure you wouldn't deal him for anyone in this draft. A bird in the hand being better than 2 in the bush and all.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1360 » by ThunderBolt » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:16 pm

Old Man Game wrote:Feels timely that this list from ESPN just came out naming SGA as a top 10 player under 25 years old in the league. Pretty sure you wouldn't deal him for anyone in this draft. A bird in the hand being better than 2 in the bush and all.

I feel like people are buying in too much to the top five guys being all being guaranteed super stars and everyone else being a bust.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder