ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,874

Re: OT: Paul Pierce fired by ESPN 

Post#161 » by agkagk » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:06 pm

will wrote:Doubt Paul Pierce really needs that ESPN gig.

Right?

He ain't pulling an Antoine Walker...?

Antoine walker:

The man who ate 200 million dollars.
The Warrior
Head Coach
And1: 10,093

Post#162 » by The Warrior » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:06 pm

agkagk wrote:
ruckus wrote:
visionquest wrote:Lesson here is play the game, live inauthentically, and don't stray from your company/master's code of ethics...

Is that really your takeaway from this?

Paul Pierce decided to get high.
Paul Pierce decided to get drunk.
Paul Pierce decided to hire rippers.
Paul Pierce decided to post it on social media.

The lesson is actions have consequences.

You can live as "authentically" as you want but don't put it out there for public consumption if you aren't willing to accept the consequences.

What if he hired cardi b instead of the rippers would it be ok then ?

What are with these Cardi B references? Why is that any different and why would that be okay?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ReggieSlater
Starter
And1: 873

Post#163 » by ReggieSlater » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:07 pm

dTox wrote:It drives me bonkers that the population is falling for these traps created by the political and media groups, we live in a society that's trying their hardest to cancel one another, while overlooking a similar flaw by those who support their agenda. The older I get, the more I miss the George Carlin's of the world, who are not afraid to call bullsh*t, regardless of what group or agenda you belong to.

Are we though? BTW, Carlin was trying to "cancel" plenty of things in his time. Cancel just means, speak out against btw. There can be no more specific definition for the general public. We should try and avoid the Post-Hoc fallacy of falsely attributing agency to a voice of people objecting to something after a corporate determination is made, when no link can logically be made between the two.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,632

Post#164 » by Pointgod » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:17 pm

Here’s your daily reminder that there’s no such thing as cancel culture and it’s just a made up concept co opted by simple minded people that don’t really understand how the world works
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,909

Post#165 » by lolwut » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:22 pm

Pointgod wrote:Here’s your daily reminder that there’s no such thing as cancel culture and it’s just a made up concept co opted by simple minded people that don’t really understand how the world works

The term "cancel culture" needs to be cancelled. How the hell did it get so popular?
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
ReggieSlater
Starter

Post#166 » by ReggieSlater » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:34 pm

lolwut wrote:
Pointgod wrote:Here’s your daily reminder that there’s no such thing as cancel culture and it’s just a made up concept co opted by simple minded people that don’t really understand how the world works

The term "cancel culture" needs to be cancelled. How the hell did it get so popular?

People like snappy terms, and it might seem logical to many that things happen in order. Someone does something. There's a frenzied reaction to it (of unknown composition and agency), and then there's a determination made by a corporate entity. Its logical to see them all playing out in order, especially if your tribal alliances are aligned to search for criticism for actions for which we have no part in. Consider the issue that everyone can blame someone else, and no one is ever really to blame themselves. No single person in a supposed mob of leftist virtue signalers would realistically feel they are the ones to blame for getting someone or something cancelled. There's no face to the movement, just noise. It just makes the entire thing perpetuate itself. We can have people like Tucker Carlson on the air every day desperately peering into the noise trying to tie together all these events fallaciously.

This isn't new. Remember the war on Christmas from a few years ago? Same principle. A handful of corporate decisions were tied to changing social norms and attributed to supposed voices. Now we have to contend with social media intensifying all the voices. Unfortunately Humans have been around for hundreds of thousands of years, and in that time we've been accustomed to speak with only hundreds of people in our lifetime. We aren't used to parsing conversations of billions of people at the same time. We seek patterns in them. It's human nature.
T_saurus
Junior
And1: 395

Post#167 » by T_saurus » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:54 pm

He sucked as an analyst, good riddance!
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,830

Re: OT: Paul Pierce 

Post#168 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:01 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:
OAKLEY_2 wrote:
Ref_from_hell wrote:Shouldn't be long before the virtue signal cancel culture twitter get him. There's always somebody who claims to be offended.

Virtue signal cancel culture. Is that supposed to be meaningful as social critique? Sounds like urban dictionary bullsht.

It's Rebel News boomer bingo.

I'm a boomer but... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#169 » by Pointgod » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:02 pm

lolwut wrote:

I honestly have no idea. It seemed to have gotten traction within the right wing and Conservative circles but it’s not limited to those groups. It seems like everyone has an opinion when something they support doesn’t go their way.

It’s a stupid term that’s lost all meaning like wokeism, virtue signalling and social justice warrior.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,830

Post#170 » by OAKLEY_2 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:03 pm

T_saurus wrote:He sucked as an analyst, good riddance!

After always flaming Kyle and Demar as having no IT factor. He was mighty smug and contrite at the championship. Even after Jalen alumni was always predicting the Celtics to be the best (laughtrack).
ReggieSlater
Starter

Post#171 » by ReggieSlater » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:24 pm

Spoiler:
Pointgod wrote:
lolwut wrote:

I honestly have no idea. It seemed to have gotten traction within the right wing and Conservative circles but it’s not limited to those groups. It seems like everyone has an opinion when something they support doesn’t go their way.

It’s a stupid term that’s lost all meaning like wokeism, virtue signalling and social justice warrior.

I agree in principal to what your saying, but I want a make a small point of clarity. I think going down the route of "everyone has an opinion now" is a mistake. I think people are just as the always were but we've created tools to allow people to communicate with each other with much greater ease. Yes, it's possible that people just like the sound of their voice so much more now, but I think it's more plausible that those that always wanted to be heard, have a platform to be heard. The danger is in granting the loudest voices, in a world where every voice can theoretically be heard, more value. The solution isn't easy. Corporate entities are placed in a situation where they are the ones now forced to be the arbiters of social decisions when they don't care about social decisions. They care about money. Disney is protecting its brand not because Bob Iger is a democrat, but because Disney knows that they have an image that is worth A LOT of money to them. We can't be of the opinion that businesses, any of them, are in it for our greater good. That's not the way they were built. It would actually be financially irresponsible of them to do otherwise.
Pointgod
RealGM

Post#172 » by Pointgod » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:38 pm

ReggieSlater wrote:
Spoiler:
Pointgod wrote:
lolwut wrote:The term "cancel culture" needs to be cancelled. How the hell did it get so popular?

I agree in principal to what your saying, but I want a make a small point of clarity. I think going down the route of "everyone has an opinion now" is a mistake. I think people are just as the always were but we've created tools to allow people to communicate with each other with much greater ease. Yes, it's possible that people just like the sound of their voice so much more now, but I think it's more plausible that those that always wanted to be heard, have a platform to be heard. The danger is in granting the loudest voices, in a world where every voice can theoretically be heard, more value. The solution isn't easy. Corporate entities are placed in a situation where they are the ones now forced to be the arbiters of social decisions when they don't care about social decisions. They care about money. Disney is protecting its brand not because Bob Iger is a democrat, but because Disney knows that they have an image that is worth A LOT of money to them. We can't be of the opinion that businesses, any of them, are in it for our greater good. That's not the way they were built. It would actually be financially irresponsible of them to do otherwise.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying everyone isn’t entitled to their opinion, but screaming cancel culture is the same as a kid throwing a temper tantrum when they don’t understand why they can’t get what they want. Everyone’s entitled to an opinion including corporations that make decisions that affect their image. Acting like it’s the most pressing problem with society is idiotic.
ReggieSlater
Starter

Post#173 » by ReggieSlater » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:43 pm

Pointgod wrote:Don’t get me wrong I’m not saying everyone isn’t entitled to their opinion, but screaming cancel culture is the same as a kid throwing a temper tantrum when they don’t understand why they can’t get what they want. Everyone’s entitled to an opinion including corporations that make decisions that affect their image. Acting like it’s the most pressing problem with society is idiotic.

Agreed. It does seem to be the culture issue of our times, which is odd, because it's not really an issue, but I suppose all issues of culture are fabrications in some sense.
visionquest
Starter
And1: 2,376

Post#174 » by visionquest » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:01 pm

orbesnet
Head Coach
And1: 4,275

Re: OT: Paul Pierce 

Post#175 » by orbesnet » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:18 pm

Ref_from_hell wrote:Shouldn't be long before the virtue signal cancel culture twitter get him. There's always somebody who claims to be offended.

Like someone being offended by people being offend, typical ;)
Pascal to the future.
agkagk
Analyst

Post#176 » by agkagk » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:06 pm

The Warrior wrote:
agkagk wrote:
ruckus wrote:
Is that really your takeaway from this?

Paul Pierce decided to get high.
Paul Pierce decided to get drunk.
Paul Pierce decided to hire rippers.
Paul Pierce decided to post it on social media.

The lesson is actions have consequences.

You can live as "authentically" as you want but don't put it out there for public consumption if you aren't willing to accept the consequences.

What are with these Cardi B references? Why is that any different and why would that be okay?

because theres videos on the internet of her concerts where she is literally twerking with her butthole out and its deemed female empowerment.

theres a double standard friend.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,266

Post#177 » by ruckus » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:28 pm

agkagk wrote:
The Warrior wrote:
agkagk wrote:

because theres videos on the internet of her concerts where she is literally twerking with her butthole out and its deemed female empowerment.

Not sure I'm following. What's the double standard?
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,574

Post#178 » by Ackshun » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:35 pm

lolwut wrote:

I do a ton of reading; books, journals, newspapers online and a 1-2 magazines.

I have heard the term "cancel culture" about a dozen times, and only on this forum.
agkagk
Analyst

Post#179 » by agkagk » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:39 pm

ruckus wrote:
agkagk wrote:
The Warrior wrote:What are with these Cardi B references? Why is that any different and why would that be okay?

Not sure I'm following. What's the double standard?

in some circles its considered female empowerment for a women to monetize her sexuality. these same circle tend to admonish or even dare i say, try to cancel men for even objectifying women in the slightest way.

Prostitutes are female empowerment
John's are pigs whos oppress women.

this never crossed your desk?
ReggieSlater
Starter

Post#180 » by ReggieSlater » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:44 pm

agkagk wrote:in some circles its considered female empowerment for a women to monetize her sexuality. these same circle tend to admonish or even dare i say, try to cancel men for even objectifying women in the slightest way.

Prostitutes are female empowerment
John's are pigs whos oppress women.

this never crossed your desk?

I think you're failing here with a typical post-hoc fallacy. Because Paul Pierce was fired, we then know he was fired because some circles tend to try and cancel men for objectifying women. This isn't correct.

Return to Toronto Raptors