Image ImageImage Image

Race for the East

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Butler4thewin
Sixth Man
And1: 532

Race for the East 

Post#1 » by Butler4thewin » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:21 am

somewhere we can discuss our standings in the east and potential playoff mathchups .....also what teams we would match up well or bad against in the playoffs
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,811

Re: race for the east 

Post#2 » by kulaz3000 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:30 am

Butler4thewin wrote:somewhere we can discuss our standings in the east and potential playoff mathchups .....also what teams we would match up well or bad against in the playoffs

At this stage, it's unlikely we will get into the playoffs, unless we really pick up steam this last stretch. We are more likely to be a play-in tournament team, as a 9th or 10th best team (which seems most likely), we would need to win both games(2), and just miss out on playoff seeding.

As it currently stands;

7: Knicks
8: Celtics
9: Pacers
10: Bulls

Knicks and Celtics would play 1 game, with the winner getting the 7th seed

Pacers and the Bulls would play a knock-out game, and play the loser of the 7th/8th seed game, who will then be placed in the 8th seed

The only team I could see slip into the 7-8th regular season standing, is the Hornets potentially. Which may give us a slight edge to get into the playoffs, but hey, crazy things can happen! I'll be rooting for the Bulls to win both play-in games and get the 8th seed, but I find it highly unlikely we can get up to the 6th seed to secure a playoff spot without the play-in.

Not to mention, we have lots of games against playoff teams coming up, where it would either help our chances or obliterate them.
Why so serious?
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 6,981

Post#3 » by Chi town » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:03 am

I’d love to see Vuc against Embiid or Zach against Jimmy.

Ideally we get to the 6th seed which is very doable.

The one team I think we match up with really poorly is the Bucks.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,811

Post#4 » by kulaz3000 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:12 am

Chi town wrote:I’d love to see Vuc against Embiid or Zach against Jimmy.

Ideally we get to the 6th seed which is very doable.

The one team I think we match up with really poorly is the Bucks.

You think the 6th seed is doable?

We play the Celtics twice - sure they are not playing to their usual standards, but they are a better team than they are currently playing

We play the Heat twice - I think they'll eventually move up on in the standings to secure a playoff spot without the play-in

We play the Nets twice - they are a better team

We play the Bucks twice - they are a better team

We play the Hornets twice - a team I see dropping in the standings, and likely a play-in team

Then we have games against the Hawks (twice), Knicks, Grizzlies (twice), and Philly also. This last stretch is no joke.

The 6th seed is possible, if we put together like a 6-8 game winning stretch or something very unlikely.
Why so serious?
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,171

Post#5 » by HomoSapien » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:22 am

We're still only 4 games out of the 5th seed. I don't think we'll get it, but a mini-run and or a slump from someone above us and the entire landscape changes. I wouldn't particularly want to face us in a play-in tournament. While we're far from a perfect team, we could be pretty damn dangerous in a head-to-head matchup.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,233

Post#6 » by kodo » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:25 am

I think Boston will swap with Charlotte for the last locked playoff spot.

That leaves the play in teams as
CHA
NYK
CHI
and between IND & TOR, IMO.

I think CLE and down won't catch up. Nor do those teams want to.

It would be nice to pass IND & NYK for the 8th spot, but I'm fairly sure Lavine needs to be healthy for that to happen and he isn't.
But as long as he's 100% for the two play-in games, that's what's important.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Re: Race for the East 

Post#7 » by TheStig » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:08 am

Whatever team can string together a 4 or 5 game win streak will pull away from the pack. And CHO will be dropping.

I think 6th seed is doable if we get that a 5+ game win streak going.
Hugi Mancura
Sixth Man
And1: 1,098

Post#8 » by Hugi Mancura » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:17 am

Injuries play big part where teams land and covid. As people has seen Bulls can beat Indiana and Nets if they don't have their best players. Charlotte is without Hayward and Ball 3 weeks I think. So if Bulls gets more games against depleted top teams they can win. Also late in the regular season top teams might actually rest their players, so there might a win or two waiting.

Toronto and NYK has tougher schedule than Bulls. Charlotte and Indiana has weaker. Miami and Boston is about the same, but I do think these two are the best two teams fighting for the spot in playoffs.

Everything is still on Bulls own hands. They face Charlotte, Boston and Miami twice so winning those games Bulls don't even need to do wonders to be in playoffs. Well, in playins. I do think getting to 6:th spot is too far.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,048

Post#9 » by FriedRise » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:47 am

A few key matchups tonight to watch.

Indiana plays again, likely shorthanded on a second night of a back to back though it’s against Minnesota.

Then a win-win game in Knicks vs Celtics. They’re tied at 7/8 and one of them will lose.

The Hornets will be on the road and shorthanded playing against the Thunder. Atl/Griz could be something too, both teams have been rolling but Memphis might be without Morant and on a b2b. Less optimistic about this one.
MGB8
RealGM
And1: 3,086

Post#10 » by MGB8 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:29 pm

Looking at the remaining schedules:

Knicks have a middling schedule:

one "easy" game against the Rockets, two against the struggling Hornets, two against the now struggling Pelicans, two against the struggling but grimey Raps, two against the Lakers (on the 4/12 and 5/11) that will depend on Lakers health, 1 against the Mavs on 4/16 without KP.... two fewer games left than the Bulls, though, so that favors them (less compressed).

Raps have also played two more games - and have an easier schedule - the (sometimes grimey) Cavs twice, the Thunder, the Magic, the Knicks twice (as noted above), the Mavs at the end, the Pacers on 5/16...

Pacers have played the same number of games as the Bulls - but also have an easier schedule - Twolves, Magic, Pistons, Thunder, Kings, wizards, Cavs...

Hornets have also played the same number of games as the Bulls and an somewhat easier schedule on out - the Thunder, the Pistons x2, The Wizards, the (sometimes grimey) Cavs x2, the Pels - and the Bulls x2 (those games may make a big difference)...

It's going to be a rough road for the Bulls - but at least the schedule isn't awful (except for being so condensed) - the (hopefully still depleted) Raps Thursday and again on May 13, the Twolves, the Magic, the Hornets x2 (but one on the 2nd night of a back to back, returning from Cleveland), the Cavs x2 (but one on the 2nd night of a back to back), the Pistons
Butler4thewin
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by Butler4thewin » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:26 pm

i think with over 20 games left the bulls could potentially hit a stride and pull off 7/8 straight wins but i guess we have to see as far as the raps i think we will beat them big lets not underestimate the impact of zach and vac now that that they showed some chemistry last game
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,206

Post#12 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:02 pm

Legit need a Good winning streak or dominate period at the very least like 6 of 8...
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,233

Post#13 » by kodo » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:44 pm

I think what's interesting about the paly-in is that it might be better to be worse in standings than better based on matchups. If it started today,

7. Boston
8. NYK
9. Indy
10. Chicago

I would prefer to be #10 then #8. Because I think we have a better chance of beating Indy & New York, than we do of beating Boston.

Ditto Golden State, I would rather play Memphis & SA then have to beat the Mavs right now.
Fl_Flash
Starter
And1: 376

Post#14 » by Fl_Flash » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:53 pm

So, as far as draft slots go....

Is the draft order based on the final regular season record or do the results of the play-in have any bearing on draft order?
IE - if the #10 team wins in and gets to, say the 8th spot, (they qualify for the playoffs) - does that mean that the #10 team is no longer in the lottery and the team that fell from 8 out of the playoffs - do they then qualify for the lottery?

I haven't done much research on that and I haven't read anything regarding the draft and the play-in. Logically I'd think the regular season standings are what determine the draft\lottery order, but this is the NBA, so logic doesn't necessarily apply.....
Brybeck01
Junior
And1: 39

Post#15 » by Brybeck01 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:56 pm

kodo wrote:I think what's interesting about the paly-in is that it might be better to be worse in standings than better based on matchups. If it started today,

7. Boston
8. NYK
9. Indy
10. Chicago

I would prefer to be #10 then #8. Because I think we have a better chance of beating Indy & New York, than we do of beating Boston.

Ditto Golden State, I would rather play Memphis & SA then have to beat the Mavs right now.

Disagree. 7 or 8 and you can lose once instead of having to win out.

Rather have chance to win and In, instead of win twice right? Regardless of who we play.

Plus Hornets tumbling will shake up who gets 7 and 8
RoseTheFuture22
Veteran
And1: 404

Post#16 » by RoseTheFuture22 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:58 pm

We still have 2 games each against Charlotte, Miami, Boston, and Atlanta so a lot of opportunity to move up still. We own the tiebreaker vs Pacers and with one more win against Charlotte and NY we would have those tiebreakers too which could be huge at the end of the season with how bunched up things are.

Matchup wise I think we probably match up best with the Sixers and would give us the best chance against them because of the Embiid/Simmons injury histories as well. They don't have a real PG to kill us with and Vuc should negate some of Embiid's offense

Nets I think we matchup OK with because Vuc has killed them, they don't force a lot of turnovers, plus their defense is shaky. The Irving/Durant/Harden all have injury histories and have missed time so that could open a window. I think Milwaukee is by far the worst matchup for us on both sides of the ball though
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#17 » by ATRAIN53 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:20 pm

salivating over here for a potential Bulls v Knicks play in game

Winner goes home

us V D Rose and Thibs

Bulls and Knicks haven't squared off in playoffs since 1996 - that 25 years ago

like there is a whole generation of basketball fans who never experienced this rivalry
we've got storylines here with Thibs/Rose now

image Van Gundy on the crew. that was his rookie season as Knicks Head coach.
a year before he was hugging Alonzo Mournings leg.

it's been too long.
I love battling the Knicks

Basketball gods make it happen lease!
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,048

Post#18 » by FriedRise » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:44 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:salivating over here for a potential Bulls v Knicks play in game

Winner goes home

us V D Rose and Thibs

Bulls and Knicks haven't squared off in playoffs since 1996 - that 25 years ago

like there is a whole generation of basketball fans who never experienced this rivalry
we've got storylines here with Thibs/Rose now

image Van Gundy on the crew. that was his rookie season as Knicks Head coach.
a year before he was hugging Alonzo Mournings leg.

it's been too long.
I love battling the Knicks

Basketball gods make it happen lease!

I really would love that. If that happens, I'm it as our NBA Finals moment. We have a slim to no chance in beating any of the top 3 seeds anyway in a 7-game series.
Butler4thewin
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by Butler4thewin » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:38 pm

RoseTheFuture22 wrote:We still have 2 games each against Charlotte, Miami, Boston, and Atlanta so a lot of opportunity to move up still. We own the tiebreaker vs Pacers and with one more win against Charlotte and NY we would have those tiebreakers too which could be huge at the end of the season with how bunched up things are.

Matchup wise I think we probably match up best with the Sixers and would give us the best chance against them because of the Embiid/Simmons injury histories as well. They don't have a real PG to kill us with and Vuc should negate some of Embiid's offense

Nets I think we matchup OK with because Vuc has killed them, they don't force a lot of turnovers, plus their defense is shaky. The Irving/Durant/Harden all have injury histories and have missed time so that could open a window. I think Milwaukee is by far the worst matchup for us on both sides of the ball though

tbh i would rather we avoid the nets untill the very end .....but the 76ers could be a good matchup with simmons lack of shooting we could play the drive and also frusterate embiid ..plus with our 3 point shooting we could put up big point swings in our favor and put them away eventually.....theres a few teams we could put on there butts this postseason if we get our **** together

Return to Chicago Bulls