BOS - WAS (Kemba/Westbrook)

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

Toine85
Lead Assistant
And1: 61

BOS - WAS (Kemba/Westbrook) 

Post#1 » by Toine85 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:30 pm

BOS trades: Kemba Walker, Tristan Thompson
WAS trades: Russell Westbrook

Thoughts?

I think after Boston's mediocre season this year, it looks like they need a shot in the arm and Russ might provide that spark/energy.

For the Wizards, there's so many times it looks like Beal's body language with Russ isn't good. Additionally, contracts run about the same for next season, but they would save about $10M the following season going from Russ' contract to Kemba's.
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,764

Re: BOS - WAS (Kemba/Westbrook) 

Post#2 » by Colbinii » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:39 pm

Washington needs some sort of incentive--they either need to clearly get better (this does not do that) or get a young asset (this does not do that).

Its lateral at best with downgrading in winning AND not receiving any sort of asset.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,032

Post#3 » by daoneandonly » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:39 pm

Russ brings more to the table than Kemba at this point, and Tristan is not positive value to bridge that gap. Wiz would decline.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,052

Post#4 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:45 pm

I don't think Washington does this without incentive of some kind, but I confess that Russ/Brown/Tatum would be a true joy to watch.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,355

Post#5 » by JRoy » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:54 pm

No one wants Kemba
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#6 » by Prokorov » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:12 pm

Toine85 wrote:BOS trades: Kemba Walker, Tristan Thompson
WAS trades: Russell Westbrook

Thoughts?

I think after Boston's mediocre season this year, it looks like they need a shot in the arm and Russ might provide that spark/energy.

For the Wizards, there's so many times it looks like Beal's body language with Russ isn't good. Additionally, contracts run about the same for next season, but they would save about $10M the following season going from Russ' contract to Kemba's.

Yeah I think this is a hard pass for Boston. Tatum/Brown are not going to work with another super high usage player that isn't almost purely a passer/spot up shooter. Kyrie/Heyward didnt work great. Kemba isnt working great. Basically either that high usage point guard is taking looks away from Tatum/Brown they shouldnt or Tatum/Brown is nuetering that PG.

Russ would likely dominate the ball and cause more issues with touches then Kyrie/Heyward did. And on top of it not be close to efficient as either of that duo while being more in your face as well.

Boston needs a PG more like Rubio, Conley, Lonzo Ball, etc...
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#7 » by Prokorov » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:13 pm

Colbinii wrote:Washington needs some sort of incentive--they either need to clearly get better (this does not do that) or get a young asset (this does not do that).

Its lateral at best with downgrading in winning AND not receiving any sort of asset.

I mean id agree Kemba doesnt raise a teams floor or ceiling. but i mean, are we worried about "a downgrade in winning" for a team that is 14th out of 15 in the east?
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#8 » by Topofthekey » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:15 pm

As shocking as this sounds, Westbrook has more value than Kemba, by a good margin

Westbrook is both the better player on court, and also the better leader
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,570

Post#9 » by pcbothwel » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:55 pm

Topofthekey wrote:As shocking as this sounds, Westbrook has more value than Kemba, by a good margin

Westbrook is both the better player on court, and also the better leader

Agreed. And that last point isnt a small one. Russ oozes confidence and hustle, and young guys need that day in/day out in learning how to be a pro.
Pass for Wiz
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#10 » by LloydFree » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:14 pm

Washington would hang up the phone pretty fast on this one. Maybe if the Celtics' added a 1st round pick, they'd listen.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,086

Post#11 » by jbk1234 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:05 pm

I can't believe people think the Wizards would pass on this. They're saving $10M per and that's really the only thing that matters.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#12 » by grindtime22 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:29 pm

This is taking the Kemba hate to another level. The Celtics would never consider this either. Almost 20 million in extra salary beyond this year for a ball dominant player taking 19 shots a game with a 49.6 TS%. That is wild. The assists are nice and all, but he turns the ball over 5 times a game. Yeah, his team sucks, but the Wizards have been almost 5 points worse per 100 possessions with him on the floor. How does that impact winning again? I can't believe people still fall for the Russell Westbrook "hustle".

Kemba sucks, but he has still been far more efficient than Westbrook.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 88,704

Post#13 » by Texas Chuck » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:03 pm

I still think Kemba would have suitors if made available. So send Kemba to New York and swap some picks around.

Kemba/Washington pick(outside of top 5) to New York, Westbrook to Boston, Thompson/both NYK/DAL picks to WAS

Wizards dump the contract and take pick 6 and turn it into two picks in the teens and a huge TPE, Boston gets Westbrook per the OP, and the Knicks get a competent PG using cap space and consolidate their picks to get a higher one.

Done and dusted.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,309

Post#14 » by hugepatsfan » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:15 pm

Boston's issue is that none of the top 3 players (Brown/Kemba/Tatum) play well off the ball. Westbrook is another on ball guy and at least Kemba can shoot.

Westbrook is a better individual talent and more marketable superstar, so he has better trade value. But the on court fit is lateral at best, most likely a step back, so unlikely that there's be any willingness on Boston's end to provide proper incentive.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#15 » by TGW » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:29 pm

No one wants Kemba.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,304

Post#16 » by nate33 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:45 pm

I wonder if a 3-way could be worked out with the Clippers. I figure they could use a guy who can create a shot like Kemba.

Westbrook to Boston
Kemba to the Clippers
Rondo, Beverley, Kennard to Washington
Maple Green
Starter
And1: 79

Post#17 » by Maple Green » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:01 am

What about..
Washington trade Beal and Westbrook for
Boston: Kemba,Smart,TT,Wagner,Olejeye,Neismith,Langford and Edwards
Washington divert the excess players to other teams.
Resistance
General Manager
And1: 3,364

Post#18 » by Resistance » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:39 am

Maple Green wrote:What about..

Kemba + TT for Westbrook is already under discussion

Smart + Wagner (Needs contract) + Olejeye (Needs contract) + Nesmith + Langford + Edwards for Beal

Sign & Trade for both Wagner and Semi?
Ugh

That leaves Smart + Nesmith + Langford + Edwards for Beal

If Washington is trading Beal, that suggests they are at least pausing and perhaps taking a step backward to reset/remodel the roster. Smart will be an expiring while Edwards is fringe to maybe out of the NBA soon. At least include some picks or take Smart out and put Brown in. The positive value of Nesmith, Langford and whatever for Smart isn't going to be enough for Beal.

Beal is $34.5 million next season. Is Boston sending out enough salary (Smart, Nesmith, Langford and Edwards)?

Edit:
Another web site has Beal as $33.7 million next season.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#19 » by TGW » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:21 am

Resistance wrote:
Maple Green wrote:What about..

Kemba + TT for Westbrook is already under discussion

Smart + Wagner (Needs contract) + Olejeye (Needs contract) + Nesmith + Langford + Edwards for Beal

Sign & Trade for both Wagner and Semi?
Ugh

That leaves Smart + Nesmith + Langford + Edwards for Beal

If Washington is trading Beal, that suggests they are at least pausing and perhaps taking a step backward to reset/remodel the roster. Smart will be an expiring while Edwards is fringe to maybe out of the NBA soon. At least include some picks or take Smart out and put Brown in. The positive value of Nesmith, Langford and whatever for Smart isn't going to be enough for Beal.

Beal is $34.5 million next season. Is Boston sending out enough salary (Smart, Nesmith, Langford and Edwards)?

Edit:
Another web site has Beal as $33.7 million next season.

I'm pretty sure any GM that sends out Beal and gets back Kemba Walker is fired immediately and gets a lifetime ban from every front office in the league.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,045

Post#20 » by Laimbeer » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:38 pm

Westbrook is 32 and having his worst season. Kemba is struggling but that has to do with injuries.

Return to Trades and Transactions