ImageImageImage

I miss Fournier AOS: PHI 106, BOS 96 (25-26)

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Re: I miss Fournier AOS: PHI 106, BOS 96 (25-26) 

Post#141 » by greenroom31 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:54 pm

aussie_pride wrote:This season has been particularly bad but to be fair to Brad, he does have a reputation of making players better. Robert Williams, Tatum, Brown, Rozier, Isaiah Thomas and Al Horford just to name a few have all improved under him. Hayward didn't exactly regress; he became maligned because of Tatum and Brown. I do not think Kemba has declined either, despite the hate that he seems to get around here. Remember, the guy is still not playing back to backs after recovering from knee surgery.

Half the players you just listed have only ever been on the Celtics. So he gets credit for Tatum, Brown, and RW3 being good players? Not sure how you can make that claim when there's no way to prove that they wouldn't have been just as good (or better) on other teams. And by that logic I guess Brad deserves blame for every player who hasn't panned out?

As for Rozier, he actually improved as soon as he LEFT -- he's a terrible person to point to. IT certainly excelled here and is the best example you could make of someone thriving under Brad, though at least some of that was due to opportunity.

Horford's best days were before coming to Boston, though that's mostly due to age and not Brad's fault. Hayward unquestionably was worse here than he was in Utah and even this season in Charlotte. Blame it on injury if you want, but he's a horrible example if you're trying to say he makes players better. Same with Kemba... he was much better in Charlotte.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,463

Post#142 » by KGtabake » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:54 pm

I hate the Sixers. I can frankly say, much more than the Lakers. Embiid is one of the most talented bigs i've ever seen. But man, he's like the Trae Young version of centers. And if he was an MVP or a champ, i could understand more some favourable calls. But this thing is ridiculous. Make the comparison with Jokic, who doesn't get even the half of these calls and you'll understand why Jokic is likeable while JoJo.... nevermind.
Brown has lost a step in D. Clearly. You can't get bullied like that.
And Tatum at some point, should understand that nobody loves him when he's trying the same old Kobe like shots. You are not Kobe dude. We've left all this behind... I thought.
Anyways, i'm disappointed because i hate losing to these arrogant losers. We got swept man.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
BFitzMoney
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#143 » by BFitzMoney » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:04 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:I hope we see much less Robert Williams is a star after tonight. 6'8" centers with low BBIQ don't stack up well against true centers. We've managed to avoid many of those recently due to injuries/rest but tonight gives you the reality of the situation. Also, if your best player is Jaylen Brown you aren't going anywhere. He's got to have some of the worst hands and BBIQ in the league for a SG and is just an average defender now.
If I'm Nesmith I'm begging my agent to get me the hell out of here. Langford isn't it. And to lose minutes to him, Semi, and Grant Williams means Brad has something personal against him.
Don't worry, we'll face some more teams absent multiple starters so everyone can pretend TimeLord is special and we're golden now that Langford is back. Fret not.

LOL F**** off bro. Nesmith going to demand a trade?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The one thing worse than seeing the Celtics play rudderless is seeing takes like this. So much drivel in that post, it's not even worth addressing.

I'm new here so I can't really tell yet. Is it a joke account? Every post I've seen so far has been the weirdest, craziest takes. And of course crushing negativity with every word.
aussie_pride
Junior
And1: 190

Post#144 » by aussie_pride » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:05 pm

greenroom31 wrote:
aussie_pride wrote:This season has been particularly bad but to be fair to Brad, he does have a reputation of making players better. Robert Williams, Tatum, Brown, Rozier, Isaiah Thomas and Al Horford just to name a few have all improved under him. Hayward didn't exactly regress; he became maligned because of Tatum and Brown. I do not think Kemba has declined either, despite the hate that he seems to get around here. Remember, the guy is still not playing back to backs after recovering from knee surgery.

Half the players you just listed have only ever been on the Celtics. So he gets credit for Tatum, Brown, and RW3 being good players? Not sure how you can make that claim when there's no way to prove that they wouldn't have been just as good (or better) on other teams. And by that logic I guess Brad deserves blame for every player who hasn't panned out?

As for Rozier, he actually improved as soon as he LEFT -- he's a terrible person to point to. IT certainly excelled here and is the best example you could make of someone thriving under Brad, though at least some of that was due to opportunity.

Horford's best days were before coming to Boston, though that's mostly due to age and not Brad's fault. Hayward unquestionably was worse here than he was in Utah and even this season in Charlotte. Blame it on injury if you want, but he's a horrible example if you're trying to say he makes players better. Same with Kemba... he was much better in Charlotte.

I think he should get credit for the development of rookies. You cannot underestimate the impact that coaching has on rookies. Remember, its not as if these guys were stars from day 1 in the league. Brown, Tatum and Robert Williams have all progressed to the level where they are currently at under Brad. With that being said, I do agree that he can be held somewhat accountable for players who have regressed.

Rozier was excellent in his last season with us! Do you not remember how well he performed in the playoffs when Kyrie and co. were injured? It was his effort that season that earned him his big money move to Charlotte. Al Horford improved as shooter in the time that he was here and expanded his game offensively; he was always good on the defensive end. Gordon Hayward got an unfortunate injury and had a magnificent season last year. He was never going to put up the sorts of numbers that he did in Utah because he had too many quality players around him. Conversely, at Utah the Jazz ran everything through him offensively as he was their no. 1 option.
BFitzMoney
Sophomore

Post#145 » by BFitzMoney » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:05 pm

Setshot33 wrote:What's funny?

After all the wheeling and dealing with draft picks and the tinkering around the trade deadline...Danny has basically bought himself a .500 treadmill.

Good job.

How could you possibly know that? How many games have we seen everyone playing together since the deadline?
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,600

Post#146 » by Green89 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:07 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:
Green89 wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:Also I really don't get how losing to a better team deserves an ass of shame title. I mean shouldn't that title be reserved for losses against teams that are worse than the Celtics?

When you're flat out not competitive does the opponent matter? That effort was definitely AOS worthy.

I'm perplexed at Pritchard getting only 9 minutes, when Smart got 35 and absolutely sucked on both ends of the floor. 5 turnovers in the first half and Brad kept letting him bring the ball up, even when Payton was on the floor with him. It's like Brad missed he was having one of his worst games of the year.

Maybe it was less about effort and the fact that Philly is a good defensive team and the Celtics run a 3rd grade offense which is one or two passes and a shot.

As for Smart: Brad and Danny absolutely love him so its not a mystery he lead the team in minutes and no matter how how plays he will never get pulled. As long as Danny and Stevens are here we have to live, for better or worse, with Smart getting big minutes.

When Shake Milton drives into the paint, misses, and then casually grabs his own rebound for an easy put back, while 3 Celtics players never leave their feet for the board attempt or box him out, that's effort.
BFitzMoney
Sophomore

Post#147 » by BFitzMoney » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:10 pm

GotDaSauce wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:Fournier definitely helps a little bit but they're three best players, Walker, Brown and Tatum are shoot first sometimes selfish ISO players. As long as these three are the cornerstones this team's going to struggle no matter who was on the bench

Honestly Fournier jumps over Walker at this point as the 3rd best player on this team. So much less effort needed to score or even just get his shots off. He also doesn't need to pound the leather off the ball to do it.

and he isnt mercilessly targeted by every single other team like kemba is.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#148 » by playa-hater » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:11 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
playa-hater wrote:Sadly I think my worst fear will come to pass. Purgatory.. Too good to tank and too azz to get a good playoff spot. damn any and all responsible for this..

You think things need to be blown up ... and you're afraid that Danny won't do it?

My thoughts were mainly for this season. Haven't even considered the summer yet
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
LenBiasRIP
Sophomore
And1: 137

Post#149 » by LenBiasRIP » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:24 pm

This team 'goes through the motions' more than any Celtic team that I've ever watched. Careless turnovers, lazy fouls, waiting until there's almost no time left on the shot clock to start running play, actual AIR BALLS by guys who are practice assassins and a ton of missed assignments on the defensive end.

Imagine what this team could be if they came out with the same intensity & determination that Baylor did on Monday night. Wait, these guys are 'pros' and know that they will be waking up tomorrow with a loaded bank account and not in a dorm room after a night of praying that you just didn't play the last 'meaningful' game of your life. For once, I'd like to see all of the smiling & joking left at home and they show up po'd & not looking to be Mr. Nice Guys on the court.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#150 » by cloverleaf » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:42 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
CelticsLV wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
Why?

Because I would hardly count them as irreplaceable contributors without who Celtics can't win games. I understand if you count the days missed by your top players. There are probably other bums counted in.

We had Tacko playing in the first half last night. Thompson sucks, but he sucks less than Tacko.

Yeah, Thompson would have played more minutes with more muscle against Embiid, but Tacko did okay. They were +1 for the 9 minutes he was on the court and -11 for the 39 minutes when he wasn't. He was stopping and changing their offense out there where he was involved and got some points in traffic too.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,852

Post#151 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:45 pm

Previous 10 games (per game): 302.1 passes, 46.8 potential assists, 25.8 assists
This game: 286 passes, 32 potential assists, 19 assists

Their length and activity on defense really bothered our ball movement (which has been improving the past month). And it felt like the usual uncontested, comfortable threes we were taking against the lesser teams were no longer there. They always had someone with a hand up. And in the rare times that we drove or swung the ball, they're quick to recover.

It didn't help that we played too slow and were careless with the ball. Fouling them and sending them to the line a gazillion times also helped them set their half-court defense.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,007

Post#152 » by Hal14 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:13 pm

BFitzMoney wrote:

After all the wheeling and dealing with draft picks and the tinkering around the trade deadline...Danny has basically bought himself a .500 treadmill.

Good job.

How could you possibly know that? How many games have we seen everyone playing together since the deadline?

I know that's probably a rhetorical question but we've played exactly 2 games with our top 6 (Tatum Brown Kemba Smart Fournier Time Lord) all in the lineup and we're 2-0 in those games. We've played 0 games with our top 7 (Tatum Brown Kemba Smart Fournier Time Lord Thompson) all in the lineup.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#153 » by playa-hater » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:19 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Previous 10 games (per game): 302.1 passes, 46.8 potential assists, 25.8 assists

Their length and activity on defense really bothered our ball movement (which has been improving the past month). And it felt like the usual uncontested, comfortable threes we were taking against the lesser teams were no longer there. They always had someone with a hand up. And in the rare times that we drove or swung the ball, they're quick to recover.

It didn't help that we played too slow and were careless with the ball. Fouling them and sending them to the line a gazillion times also helped them set their half-court defense.

I love this point. my desire for a bigger longer defensive team with switch ability has been mentioned many times. Having Kemba and sometimes multiple small guards together kills me and our defense. Over rotations are the norm.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,680

Post#154 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:21 pm

Hal14 wrote:
BFitzMoney wrote:

Good job.

I know that's probably a rhetorical question but we've played exactly 2 games with our top 6 (Tatum Brown Kemba Smart Fournier Time Lord) all in the lineup and we're 2-0 in those games. We've played 0 games with our top 7 (Tatum Brown Kemba Smart Fournier Time Lord Thompson) all in the lineup.

They are 2-0 because they beat two pathetic teams. They entire team can be heathy and playing but that does not change the fact this team is massively flawed with Brown, Tatum and Walker being shoot first ISO players. Walker is cooked and Brown and Tatum are not a good fit.

You cannot make one pass, then have Brown or Tatum play ISO and expect to have much success winning games.
*Insert witty signature here.*
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,007

Post#155 » by Hal14 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:21 pm

LenBiasRIP wrote:This team 'goes through the motions' more than any Celtic team that I've ever watched. Careless turnovers, lazy fouls, waiting until there's almost no time left on the shot clock to start running play, actual AIR BALLS by guys who are practice assassins and a ton of missed assignments on the defensive end.

Imagine what this team could be if they came out with the same intensity & determination that Baylor did on Monday night. Wait, these guys are 'pros' and know that they will be waking up tomorrow with a loaded bank account and not in a dorm room after a night of praying that you just didn't play the last 'meaningful' game of your life. For once, I'd like to see all of the smiling & joking left at home and they show up po'd & not looking to be Mr. Nice Guys on the court.

I get where you're coming from. It does seem like going through the motions a lot of the time. Even Ainge has been quoted saying how he sees a lack of urgency.

But the Baylor comparison is a little bit of a reach. It's only natural that you might come out with a little more urgency when it's only the 33rd game you've played that season and it is literally the biggest game you will ever play in in your entire life, literally your life, your season depends on it and all everyone in your whole school you've been going to school with for the past 4 years is watching - that's different than a game which is the 51st game you've played so by this time of the season it's getting a little tedious (if it was baseball season right now would be the dog days of August), we're deep into the season but not quite the playoffs yet, and it's just another regular season game rather than the national championship..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
playa-hater
RealGM

Post#156 » by playa-hater » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:22 pm

Hal14 wrote:
BFitzMoney wrote:

Good job.

I'll take the first crack at this. YES all our players healthy improves us for sure. But the problems we are having such as dumb or lazy basketball should never be excused because of injuries or missing players.
pac213up
General Manager
And1: 3,797

Post#157 » by pac213up » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:31 pm

Brown & Tatum played poorly against a very good team. Not going to win when at least 1 guys does not stand out. As a team the inability to drive and kick effectively continues to be an obstacle.

With that said, the team continues to play without the full compliment of players. Add Evan & Tristan and the game is a lot more competitive.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#158 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:30 pm

Tatum was okay not great aginst Simmons' length but when Tatum plays with the bench guys and he has to go against Simmons and a double off the drive he has to give up the ball. And when you commit 20 turnovers it's hard to get enough shots or get the ball back on ball rotation.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Post#159 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:39 pm

aussie_pride wrote:
greenroom31 wrote:

I think he should get credit for the development of rookies. You cannot underestimate the impact that coaching has on rookies. Remember, its not as if these guys were stars from day 1 in the league. Brown, Tatum and Robert Williams have all progressed to the level where they are currently at under Brad. With that being said, I do agree that he can be held somewhat accountable for players who have regressed.

Rozier was excellent in his last season with us! Do you not remember how well he performed in the playoffs when Kyrie and co. were injured? It was his effort that season that earned him his big money move to Charlotte. Al Horford improved as shooter in the time that he was here and expanded his game offensively; he was always good on the defensive end. Gordon Hayward got an unfortunate injury and had a magnificent season last year. He was never going to put up the sorts of numbers that he did in Utah because he had too many quality players around him. Conversely, at Utah the Jazz ran everything through him offensively as he was their no. 1 option.

I can only assume you're referring to his awesome last season when he put up these numbers:

9/4/3 on 39/35/78
6/4/2
No wait, you said postseason where he did this:

6/4/2 on 32/24/73

He then went on ESPN blasted the coach, blasted the team, and basically shot his way out of town. Performed SO well. Stud. You really do see things differently than most here.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#160 » by djFan71 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:39 pm

playa-hater wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:Previous 10 games (per game): 302.1 passes, 46.8 potential assists, 25.8 assists

I love this point. my desire for a bigger longer defensive team with switch ability has been mentioned many times. Having Kemba and sometimes multiple small guards together kills me and our defense. Over rotations are the norm.

We don't even have length to practice against. I swear some of the turnovers were passes that would work fine against shorter teams, but Philly's length got hands on them.

Return to Boston Celtics