ImageImageImageImageImage

Quickley Slump

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,637

Quickley Slump 

Post#1 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:30 pm

Here's an interesting article on Quickley. The knives are coming out for the rook.

https://nypost.com/2021/04/06/immanuel-quickley-slump-draws-big-knicks-question/

Excerpt:

"The calls for starting Immanuel Quickley at point guard have died down.

The Knicks’ 6-foot-3 combo guard, recently billed as a potential rookie-of-the-year candidate once LaMelo Ball suffered a season-ending injury, has seen some slippage.

For a player whose defense is below average and who is not considered a playmaker, the Knicks need his shooting efficiency to be better than it has been.

Following a dud game versus the Nets on Monday, Quickley is shooting just 38.4 percent from the field. The 21-year-old played just 13 minutes in Brooklyn, shooting 1 of 4 for three points, having problems on the defensive end as Kyrie Irving and Co. posted a three-game sweep."

I like Quickley as a bench scorer this year and he's done very well in that role. But he needs to spend the off season developing his playmaking instincts.

He's got to be a threat to pass, which he isn't currently, and fans will likely turn on him if he's just an inefficient shooter.

A bunch of summer leagues would do him well.

That said, it is pretty clear New York still had not found its point guard. Lonzo Ball is looking mighty good right about now.

I forgot totally that Maledon was a second round pick after 33. Man, the Knicks just seem to hate point guards.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,430

Re: Quickley Slump 

Post#2 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:44 pm

Also, he has no hops whatsoever. He has no ability to finish at the rim. Defenses are now prepared and know when to time his floater without worrying about a burst to the rim.

Frank is more valuable to us right now and should be seeing time on the court. So should Knox.
Free Palestine
DaGawd
RealGM
And1: 43,616

Post#3 » by DaGawd » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:58 pm

He’s a rookie. Think he’ll be very good next season
BaF
Washington Wizards
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,253

Post#4 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:11 pm

Despite his slump, Quickley still scores more efficiently than Payton (54.3 TS% vs 48.4), still gets the defense's respect as a shooter and still creates more spacing for Randle and RJ to operate and get to the basket.

He's missing too many lay-ups and floaters but he gets to the free throw line and makes 3s at a decent rate, so his efficiency is actually higher than the optics lead you to believe. It's below average, but he's a rookie.

I'm cool with the bench role, especially with Rose and Burks on the roster. I'm not cool with his minutes. It's asinine that he's getting so little playing time considering our aggressively bad our starter is.

Quickley still has a positive +3.1 net rating, one of the best marks on the team. Payton ranks near the bottom at -1.5.

Randle is at -1.5 points per 100 possessions with Payton. He's a +7.7 with Quickley.
RJ is at +0.4 points per 100 possessions with Payton. He's a +2 with Quickley.

IQ is the least of our problems and the Knicks would be better off with him starting at the one despite his own struggles.
gavran
RealGM
And1: 7,235

Post#5 » by gavran » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:11 pm

Trade him for a late first rounder, while he still has the value. The Knicks need to draft an exciting young player, who they can trade in 2022 for a 2023 2nd round pick. Than if we are lucky, they will draft a player, who is good enough to be traded in 2023 for a pick.
god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 126,368

Post#6 » by god shammgod » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:16 pm

iq is not getting the minutes anymore to shoot his way out of a bad performance. he often started slow but came alive in the 2nd half. against the nets he got 4 shots and 12 minutes. he's getting treated like obi now.
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,637

Post#7 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:16 pm

gavran wrote:Trade him for a late first rounder, while he still has the value. The Knicks need to draft an exciting young player, who they can trade in 2022 for a 2023 2nd round pick. Than if we are lucky, they will draft a player, who is good enough to be traded in 2023 for a pick.
Lol. Right?

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,185

Post#8 » by mpharris36 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:20 pm

god shammgod wrote:iq is not getting the minutes anymore to shoot his way out of a bad performance. he often started slow but came alive in the 2nd half. against the nets he got 4 shots and 12 minutes. he's getting treated like obi now.

since the team has been back to 100% healthy thibs basically has went vets and RJ...thats it...the 9th and 10th guys in his rotation our IQ and Obi. Those are the facts.

And its sad. Its not surprising...but its sad.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 41,898

Post#9 » by GONYK » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:25 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:iq is not getting the minutes anymore to shoot his way out of a bad performance. he often started slow but came alive in the 2nd half. against the nets he got 4 shots and 12 minutes. he's getting treated like obi now.

since the team has been back to 100% healthy thibs basically has went vets and RJ...thats it...the 9th and 10th guys in his rotation our IQ and Obi. Those are the facts.

It's kind of killed the watchability of the team the last 2 weeks or so
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#10 » by mpharris36 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:32 pm

GONYK wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

It has...there is no other way around it.

I'll even put Randle in here even though his future status is a bit murky with him being a UFA the year after next. So even if I put Randle in the "future pieces" category that only suggests out of the guys majorly contributing in deciding the wins/losses of the games that will be here past a year or two are RJ and Randle. Outside of that there is a good chance that 6 of the other top 8 guys in thibs rotation might not even be here 4 or 5 months from now...its sad.

The short leash he has on IQ and Obi...and I wont even get into the couple other young guys that I would like to see at least play rotational minutes. If it was thibs developing those guys and a majority of his rotation seemed like a core that could be here for multiple years then it would absolutely make it more exciting.

Right now if they win I'm cool with it and if they lose I'm indifferent just simply because I don't see a lot of future pieces outside of RJ deciding games...I only see the young guys getting pushed further down the bench...some are situational and some are in very limited roles where they about about 5-6 minutes a half.

ROSTER

NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,479

Post#11 » by NYKnickerbocker » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:35 pm

Also seems like he’s been trying to do the things he’s been struggling at more often like finding the open man more consistently and getting all the way to the rim. He’s trying to improve his weakness. Might not do it this season, but it’ll make him better for next season
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,963

Post#12 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:36 pm

Chanel Bomber wrote:Despite his slump, Quickley still scores more efficiently than Payton (54.3 TS% vs 48.4), still gets the defense's respect as a shooter and still creates more spacing for Randle and RJ to operate and get to the basket.

He's missing too many lay-ups and floaters but he gets to the free throw line and makes 3s at a decent rate, so his efficiency is actually higher than the optics lead you to believe. It's below average, but he's a rookie.

I'm cool with the bench role, especially with Rose and Burks on the roster. I'm not cool with his minutes. It's asinine that he's getting so little playing time considering our aggressively bad our starter is.

Quickley still has a positive +3.1 net rating, one of the best marks on the team. Payton ranks near the bottom at -1.5.

Randle is at -1.5 points per 100 possessions with Payton. He's a +7.7 with Quickley.
RJ is at +0.4 points per 100 possessions with Payton. He's a +2 with Quickley.

IQ is the least of our problems and the Knicks would be better off with him starting at the one despite his own struggles.

Yea, fg% is not efficiency. TS% is a better indicator. Quickley has been solid there despite the low fg%. What that tells me is he has a lot of room to be a very efficient player. Typical Berman just looking at base stats. Probably thinks Payton is more efficient

Of course Quickley has things he needs to improve and is far from perfect. He def still needs to get his fg% up, work on his facilitating, try getting to the rim more instead of taking floaters everytime.

Still having a great rookie season and showing promise. Maybe he ends up being more of a Lou Williams type of player but that is a nice piece to have and i wouldn't cap his ceiling either.

Overall he's still a better option then Payton.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#13 » by god shammgod » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:39 pm

GONYK wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

yep, i've lost most of my interest
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,963

Post#14 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:45 pm

That is a big thing too. He's not even getting enough minutes to find a rythym. It can effect his confidence. Just let him play thru some of that. We can def use his scoring/shooting.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#15 » by mpharris36 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:47 pm

god shammgod wrote:
GONYK wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

I think deep down people think the fans are literally going to be jumping up for joy if we make a play-in game...I think they will bes sadly mistaken if its at the hands of the mercenaries and pushing the young guys to such limited roles...do we think all of a sudden thibs is even going to let guys like IQ or Obi make even one mistake in a play-in game?

More like Randle is going to play all 48 and Rose/Payton will be out there the entire game with sparing minutes from IQ...so even a play-in game wont be exciting because outside of RJ getting experience who else do we have?

ROSTER

god shammgod
RealGM

Post#16 » by god shammgod » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:50 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:
GONYK wrote:

I think deep down people think the fans are literally going to be jumping up for joy if we make a play-in game...I think they will bes sadly mistaken if its at the hands of the mercenaries and pushing the young guys to such limited roles...do we think all of a sudden thibs is even going to let guys like IQ or Obi make even one mistake in a play-in game?

More like Randle is going to play all 48 and Rose/Payton will be out there the entire game with sparing minutes from IQ...so even a play-in game wont be exciting because outside of RJ getting experience who else do we have?

unfortunately, i think there are more casuals than diehards like us though. they'll be happy either way.

i don't even know if obi or iq get to play in the play-in game. he'll probably only play 8.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#17 » by mpharris36 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:52 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:

That is a big thing too. He's not even getting enough minutes to find a rythym. It can effect his confidence. Just let him play thru some of that. We can def use his scoring/shooting.

You will never see @ Portland quickly again this season which is sad....he scored 21pts in the 4th qtr..sure he made some mistakes along the way but Payton can't score 21 pts in a game let alone 1 qtr...and Thibs literally has neutered him...at one point he was one of the leaders in 4th pt scoring...now he is an afterthought on the bench.

ROSTER

RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,279

Post#18 » by RHODEY » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:52 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Also, he has no hops whatsoever. He has no ability to finish at the rim. Defenses are now prepared and know when to time his floater without worrying about a burst to the rim.

Frank is more valuable to us right now and should be seeing time on the court. So should Knox.

Reminds me of Haliburton :)
SmoothLefty21
Starter
And1: 2,410

Post#19 » by SmoothLefty21 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:53 pm

Our fanbase (and most) either overrate or underrate the hell out of rookies and young players. Kids are either future All-Stars or busts after a few weeks.

Quickley is fine. He has plenty of flaws to his game which is why he was still on the board in the 20s but you can tell he's a pro. He'll be a good rotational piece for years to come and needs time. He's hitting a rookie wall during the COVID season. I'm not worried. I am still pissed that we didn't take Haliburon + Quickley, but that's been done to death.
god shammgod
RealGM

Post#20 » by god shammgod » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:55 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:

You will never see @ Portland quickly again this season which is sad....he scored 21pts in the 4th qtr..sure he made some mistakes along the way but Payton can't score 21 pts in a game let alone 1 qtr...and Thibs literally has neutered him...at one point he was one of the leaders in 4th pt scoring...now he is an afterthought on the bench.

this was a normal occurrence for quickley. he often started slow and came alive in the 4th. now he's not in position for that to happen.

Return to New York Knicks