PG Warriors: Bucks Choke

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

BigO
Analyst
And1: 3,049

Re: PG Warriors: Bucks Choke 

Post#121 » by BigO » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:26 pm

Fotis St wrote:
DrWood wrote:based on the comments here, most of you missed the reason the bucks lost (other than Giannis sitting). Steph was being Steph and Jrue did nothing to slow him down.

I wonder what you guys would say if you were warrior fans. Most of their guys don't have a clue how to play NBA basketball (Steph, Dray, Bazemore, and maybe Looney excepted).

You are looking but you are not watching.
What can Jrue do when he gets picked and Lopez drops down instead of showing high and Curry gets enough space to shoot or create ? What exactly are you asking from a defender on a pick n roll action ? Jrue can't go through the pick.

So Slopez is the reason Curry gets the space and he was late on the other 2 3s in row by Kelly Oubre Jr too

Great post. You understand the game. The Warriors were setting high screens for Steph, because they didn't want Jrue to guard him. Bud continues to drop Lopez down on those screens and Steph can do whatever he wants. Horst should demand Bud give this scheme a rest. Either show hard on those high ball screens or start switching. Please get rid of Bud. He can't adapt.
Daver
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,988

Post#122 » by Daver » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:28 pm

Man you listen to buds post game conference i swear its like hes lip synching word for word what he says after every loss.Must be the only HC that never criticizes his players for a bad performance.You hear even the best coaches say on occasion that his team played bad we werent ready i coached bad etc yet even losing 4 in a row to toronto and sucking against miami last year he never says any of those things.
Its the same garble BS damn near word for word everytime they lose.
Of course the lame ass reporters refuse to ask any tough questions
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,631

Post#123 » by StickeeFingaz » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:33 pm

Watched that Middleton rebound attempt again (after the Wiggins miss late in the fourth), just embarrassing. Grab the **** ball and secure the win.
#FreeChuckDiesel
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#124 » by smauss » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:36 pm

BigO wrote:
Fotis St wrote:
DrWood wrote:based on the comments here, most of you missed the reason the bucks lost (other than Giannis sitting). Steph was being Steph and Jrue did nothing to slow him down.

I wonder what you guys would say if you were warrior fans. Most of their guys don't have a clue how to play NBA basketball (Steph, Dray, Bazemore, and maybe Looney excepted).

You are looking but you are not watching.
What can Jrue do when he gets picked and Lopez drops down instead of showing high and Curry gets enough space to shoot or create ? What exactly are you asking from a defender on a pick n roll action ? Jrue can't go through the pick.

So Slopez is the reason Curry gets the space and he was late on the other 2 3s in row by Kelly Oubre Jr too

Great post. You understand the game. The Warriors were setting high screens for Steph, because they didn't want Jrue to guard him. Bud continues to drop Lopez down on those screens and Steph can do whatever he wants. Horst should demand Bud give this scheme a rest. Either show hard on those high ball screens or start switching. Please get rid of Bud. He can't adapt.

Also, Brook just dropped behind the picker, and either didn't or was late to guard him rolling to the basket, resulting in a dunk. Whether he shows high or drops, he's too slow to recover. I would exploit him every single time, and that's exactly what they did. Portis/Thanasis couldn't do worse. Just maddening!
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,898

Post#125 » by buckboy » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:37 pm

GoldenAntlers wrote:How do you all feel about Khris with the ball in his hands down the stretch in a game 7?

I'm a huge Khris fan.

I feel very bad about it.

Shooting a jumper to win it? Great. Anything with ball-handling, not great.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
MiltownHawkeye
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,415

Post#126 » by MiltownHawkeye » Wed Apr 7, 2021 1:53 pm

Thankfully I missed most of this game. Looking forward to games starting before 9 PM again.

Looks like Teague played pretty well on offense? Man I wish we just signed him for a min at the beginning of the season instead of **** around with DJA
Free Chuck Diesel

Fire Steve Novak
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,256

Post#127 » by FlagsFlyForever » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:06 pm

I won't go as far as saying I miss Bledsoe after I spent the past two years asking for him to be traded, but I will admit I have a growing appreciation for how important he was to our #1 ranked defense the past two seasons.
Read on Twitter
GoldenAntlers
General Manager
And1: 4,348

Post#128 » by GoldenAntlers » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:09 pm

Daver wrote:Anyone even tempted to start teague at the PG spot n move jrue to the 2 have donte be that 6th man some of you want
I am.
"Silence is a source of great strength." - Lao Tzu
mke_design
Analyst
And1: 2,061

Post#129 » by mke_design » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:23 pm

we lost a game
DavidDunn21 wrote:So please allow me to continue to be the scapegoat for our very rational fears, but just remember that I understand and forgive all of you.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,898

Post#130 » by buckboy » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:27 pm

blazza18 wrote:David Dunn is right :D

:lol:
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,105

Post#131 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:00 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

I went to bed at halftime. Skimming the PG Thread, I can believe many of the things I'm reading. Middleton sloppy, Bud bad, Brook slow, but I absolutely cannot believe this is real. And did Bud give a reason for not challenging it?
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#132 » by aboveAverage » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:01 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
DrWood wrote: Steph was being Steph and Jrue did nothing to slow him down.

This is the part that no one really understands when we talk about Jrue v. Bledsoe. They are two totally different defenders.

Yes, Jrue is wonderful bodying up guy like Kawhi. He's a great man defender of wings and even PF and Centers at times.

Bledsoe though was the tip of the spear of the defense. He was able to blow up opposing PG's at the point of attack. He could fight over, under and through picks. We absolutely do not have that anymore, and it shows.

Bledsoe allowed us to play the drop defense because of his crazy good mobility and ability to fight through screens. However, the drop defense still got torn apart in the playoffs, even with Bledsoe. He gave Bud false hope that the drop scheme could work. I think it’s a good thing that it becomes clear in the regular season that it won’t work. Maybe Bud will adjust before the playoffs start (not holding my breath though).

Jrue is a fantastic defender and it’s not his fault that Lopez makes it almost impossible to guard the high screen properly. Give Jrue a slightly more mobile big and a better defensive strategy and he’d hold his own against Curry, any night.
Fotis St
General Manager
And1: 2,870

Post#133 » by Fotis St » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:01 pm

Daver wrote:
Fotis St wrote:Fire Bud. Ham as Head Coach.
I don't want to see Lopez and Bud ever again
Khris you ****ng choker

Arnt you worried that ham will run the sane exact type of team D and team O that most of the board has been against.Hes been with bud since his hawk days if buds fired i want no part of anyone from his staff

I don't know what to expect, but Bud has been so stubborn ... he could block any fresh ideas from his coaches. How can anyone know ? Bud's 30min average of 24 year old Giannis was the laugh of the league but he didn't adapt.

Anyway of all those assistant coaches I have seen in the Bucks all those years, ONLY Ham passes my eye test of a true basketball soul. All the others look like nerds studying stats that have no clue - on court experience ... they just studied the game watching stats and X&Os but never played it on a high level in order to adjust some important details.
Draft picks: '15 Jerian Grant, '16 Thon Maker, '17 Isaiah Hartenstein/*John Collins, '18 TD Devonte Graham, Hamidou Diallo, '20 Sam Merrill, Killian Tillie, '21 Joe Wieskamp, '22 TU C.Braun/G.Procida '23 Tristan Vukcevic/Maxwell Lewis
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,631

Post#134 » by StickeeFingaz » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:36 pm

I’ve always felt there was a sliver of truth to certain things David Dunn would say about Khris (mental fortitude, decision making, effort) but DD would always take it to the extreme and it would go off the rails.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 5,967

Post#135 » by Siefer » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:41 pm

Bled and Jrue are very different defenders, which a few of us have talked about throughout this season. I think Jrue's better and more flexible overall, but yeah, Bledsoe was much more compatible with Brook. Brook's lost half a step, I think, but a lot of the issues we've seen with him have just been that the situation changed. Guards and wings have been getting better angles, and less resistance on drives. That's in addition to the league-wide trends of better and higher volume three-point shooting which somewhat devalues the rim-protecting priority of the drop zone.

Brook still has value, and the drop is still the best zone variation we have in our toolbag. Jrue has gotten better in it when we use it, and I'm glad we have it as an option in addition to aggressive switching, and the kinda cool switching/zone hybrid we've experimented with a few times. I still feel much better about our defensive ceiling this season. That said, I can't defend us running it straight into Draymond at the 5 like we did last night. Plenty of blame to go around, but Bud was asleep at the wheel in the fourth.
Daver
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,988

Post#136 » by Daver » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:46 pm

Fotis St wrote:
Daver wrote:
Fotis St wrote:Fire Bud. Ham as Head Coach.
I don't want to see Lopez and Bud ever again
Khris you ****ng choker

Arnt you worried that ham will run the sane exact type of team D and team O that most of the board has been against.Hes been with bud since his hawk days if buds fired i want no part of anyone from his staff

I don't know what to expect, but Bud has been so stubborn ... he could block any fresh ideas from his coaches. How can anyone know ? Bud's 30min average of 24 year old Giannis was the laugh of the league but he didn't adapt.

Anyway of all those assistant coaches I have seen in the Bucks all those years, ONLY Ham passes my eye test of a true basketball soul. All the others look like nerds studying stats that have no clue - on court experience ... they just studied the game watching stats and X&Os but never played it on a high level in order to adjust some important details.

If im hiring a coach im going outside the bucks family to hopefully bring in a fresh idea on O and D someone who knows how to use jrue can adapt can make adjustments.Bud has a big 3 n still cant seem to figure out how to use his players properly.I want no part of ham been with bud to long maybe im wrong but you would think a asst coach would have some impact on schemes.
RogerMurdock
Analyst
And1: 6,464

Post#137 » by RogerMurdock » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:16 pm

After sleeping on it, I can see now, emotions removed from last night's loss, that the biggest problem was that the Bucks scored fewer points than the Warriors.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#138 » by M-C-G » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:17 pm

Daver wrote:

If im hiring a coach im going outside the bucks family to hopefully bring in a fresh idea on O and D someone who knows how to use jrue can adapt can make adjustments.Bud has a big 3 n still cant seem to figure out how to use his players properly.I want no part of ham been with bud to long maybe im wrong but you would think a asst coach would have some impact on schemes.

Bud has a reputation of being a stubborn bastard. How much impact do you think someone so stubborn to change is taking from his staff regarding scheme?

Regardless, Ham has been around long enough that the management has to know if he is the guy or not.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#139 » by M-C-G » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:18 pm

RogerMurdock wrote:After sleeping on it, I can see now, emotions removed from last night's loss, that the biggest problem was that the Bucks scored fewer points than the Warriors.

Way off! After sleeping on it, I realized the Bucks ALLOWED too many points to the Warriors.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,105

Post#140 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:19 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:I’ve always felt there was a sliver of truth to certain things David Dunn would say about Khris (mental fortitude, decision making, effort) but DD would always take it to the extreme and it would go off the rails.

Plenty of truth to his many criticisms of Midds. The problem is he loudly attacks Khris' character and repeatedly calls him a "coward" which basically negates any legitimate points. Khris simply isn't a closer. Or at least hasn't proven to be one to this point. And even though he's made strides in his ball handling and playmaking, thats also not his forte.

Jrue is the clear #2 on this team. He's already given us plenty of "clutch" moments in his short time here. Could have had another game winner on the rebound and putback last night. Bud should continue to find ways to put Khris in his comfort zone. He can work the midrange, ISO's, and carry the offense when Giannis is on the bench. But to ask for more at this point just seems irresponsible.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks