The MVP race is between Jokic and Embiid, Change my mind

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,016

The MVP race is between Jokic and Embiid, Change my mind 

Post#1 » by Trey24 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:38 pm

Everyone counted Embiid out when he got hurt, but I think that is incredibly unfair to him. I have personally not seen a more dominant force (and scary player to play against) in the league this year, and Philly has been the best team in the east when Embiid is healthy.

Embiid deserves MVP in my opinion over everyone. WITH THAT BEING SAID.......

There is no argument against Jokic for MVP, and I would honestly be ok with having Co-MVP's this year with Jokic and Embiid.

It will be interesting to see how things play out, but if Embiid plays the rest of the season the way he played prior to injury, (which he is going to), it is going to be a VERY close race.

I would love to hear others thoughts.
SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Re: The MVP race is between Jokic and Embiid, Change my mind 

Post#2 » by SeattleJazzFan » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:26 pm

with lebron and embiid going down for several weeks - the fact is, it is a factor whether you like it or not - it is Jokic's to lose.
trueballer7
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,158

Post#3 » by trueballer7 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:31 pm

Lebron is easily ahead. Only if he misses another 20 games I might consider someone as close second.
MindState
Veteran
And1: 3,467

Post#4 » by MindState » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:33 pm

Media will give it to LeBron even if he misses the rest of the season.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,167

Post#5 » by Capn'O » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:33 pm

The center position is ALIVE!!!!!

Spoiler:
the power forward position, not so much
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Marrrcuss
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,818

Post#6 » by Marrrcuss » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:34 pm

I have Jokic winning easily.

I think its only a discussion because a few dudes here would ponder ending their lives if LeBron were to get it.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,654

Post#7 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:35 pm

The only thing that will prevent Jokic from being the MVP is team seeding. And with the way the Nuggets have been playing and with LeBron still being out, I dont see team seeding being an issue anymore for the Nuggets. This is clearly Jokic's season.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,457

Post#8 » by NyKnicks1714 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:38 pm

Embiid has missed too many games; Giannis is 2nd behind Jokic.
FinnTheHuman
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,716

Post#9 » by FinnTheHuman » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:39 pm

“Hmmm two guys with around the same stats and same records, but one guy has missed 1/3 of the season while the other has played every game... Let’s open a topic saying they’re co-mvp’s as it stands”

Dude, we get it, you’re in love with your boy, you want him to get the awards, and it’s fine, it can surely be argued that he really is the best player, but he simply doesn’t have the argument for mvp. But that’s okay, he can still win you the championship and that matters much more than that mvp award he ain’t getting.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#10 » by Yuri Vaultin » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:44 pm

Way to go out on a limb there OP with such a bold and controversial statement.

"I think the 3 favorites for MVP ARE the 3 favorites for MVP."

Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
Sgt Major
Head Coach
And1: 15,199

Post#11 » by Sgt Major » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:44 pm

Even if LeBron and Embiid didn't get hurt, it would've been Jokic ahead and everyone else trailing.
Det. Frank Pembleton: You know, sometimes you're funny. Then there's now.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,576

Post#12 » by KGtabake » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:46 pm

It should have been the best race ever. Literally up to 10 guys, had a case.
But the injuries of KD, LeBron and Embiid.
Now the injuries of Harden and Giannis.
The really bad support that Doncic, Butler, Zion and Curry had by their teammates.
The fact that Portland cannot help Lillard with a better seeding.
The fact that Kawhi does not post gaudy numbers.
The fact that people do not respect Gobert and CP as they should.

All the above lead to Jokic. He's been the best and his team is finally helping him.
Still, i'm disappointed that injuries, covid etc have cost us a race for the ages.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,276

Post#13 » by Yuri Vaultin » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:47 pm

trueballer7 wrote:Lebron is easily ahead. Only if he misses another 20 games I might consider someone as close second.

Do not agree at all.

Jokic is having a historic season the likes of which have never been seen from a center.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,169

Post#14 » by SA37 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:48 pm

Trey24
Sixth Man
And1: 2,016

Post#15 » by Trey24 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:53 pm

The reason I created this topic is that Embiid is seemingly not even being considered even as a runner up, which is a disservice to his season, but the same people keeping him out of the conversation are keeping Lebron in it.

Also, for the people saying I am a Homer, I hate the 6ers and hate having to play against him, but I can also see when a guy has been the player he has been this season.

Not discounting Jokic by any means, but Embiid deserves to be in the discussion.

If Jokic turned an ankle and missed the next 3 weeks, does that totally throw away his season as well?
Ambrose
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,366

Post#16 » by Ambrose » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:02 pm

The last time a player won MVP while missing more than 10 games was in 2001 with Allen Iverson. He missed 11 games. Joel Embiid has missed 18 games. The last time someone missed that many games and won MVP was Bill Walton in 1978. The Blazers had the best record in the NBA and won 58 games when only two other teams in the NBA won more than 50. That alone should change your mind.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#17 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:09 pm

Trey24 wrote:The reason I created this topic is that Embiid is seemingly not even being considered even as a runner up, which is a disservice to his season, but the same people keeping him out of the conversation are keeping Lebron in it.

Also, for the people saying I am a Homer, I hate the 6ers and hate having to play against him, but I can also see when a guy has been the player he has been this season.

Not discounting Jokic by any means, but Embiid deserves to be in the discussion.

If Jokic turned an ankle and missed the next 3 weeks, does that totally throw away his season as well?

Im just not seeing what youre seeing. Up until Embiid got hurt practically the entire MVP discussion was between him and Jokic. Since Embiid went on to miss 1/3 of the season and when that happens that usually takes the player out of the MVP race.

So ya Embiid deserved to be in the discussion prior to the injury, and he was. After the injury he doesnt deserve to be in the discussion anymore. It would be one thing if Embiid was having this historic season and no one was close to him and then we can talk if the gap between him and everyone else was so big that even the missed games cant take away the MVP. But that is not the case.
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#18 » by NY 567 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:54 pm

They're the front runners right now, but Dame is in the picture, and it looks like Luka is going to make a serious push too. It's far from a 2 man race
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#19 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:56 pm

NY 567 wrote:They're the front runners right now, but Dame is in the picture, and it looks like Luka is going to make a serious push too. It's far from a 2 man race

Agreed its a 1 man race with a solid gap to anybody else.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,802

Post#20 » by NZB2323 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:56 pm

The race is over.

26 points, 11 rebounds, and 9 assists on 57/43/86 shooting splits. A 31.3 PER with 0 games missed.

The Nuggets always get a good shot when Jokic gets the ball, whether he shoots, sets a teammate up, or gets a hockey assist. Jokic is the only all-star on his team and they're going to have homecourt advantage in the first round.

I know that people are fans of other players and want to talk about how player X should be in the race, but the award this year goes to Jokic. Embiid, Lebron, Harden, Giannis, Dame, Curry, Doncic, etc. can try and win the award next year.

Return to The General Board