ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps sign Freddie Gillespie to 10day

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Re: Raps sign Freddie Gillespie to 10day 

Post#41 » by Dalek » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:21 pm

From a size and wingspan perspective he is a lot like Isaiah Stewart from the 2020 draft. He is a total throwback big that will immediately add physicality which is lacking when we throw out Boucher or Yuta as a C.

Why he went undrafted despite a productive college career is his jumpshot. He looked pretty good in the lead up to the draft but at Memphis he hit 42% on freethrows and 0% from three which means he is pretty much only operated off screen and roll and offensive rebounding.

In theory he could be a switchy big because he moves well laterally. He has shown that he can contest guards off the dribble. The issue is both at Baylor and Memphis in the G-League he was a drop coverage big who rarely left the paint. He is going to have to adapt quickly.

I think he will get some run if they continue to be short guys like they are now.
JShuttlesworth
General Manager
And1: 12,843

Post#42 » by JShuttlesworth » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:31 pm

I can already tell Gillespie is going to be a fan favourite
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#43 » by Mikistan » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:33 pm

Dalek wrote:From a size and wingspan perspective he is a lot like Isaiah Stewart from the 2020 draft. He is a total throwback big that will immediately add physicality which is lacking when we throw out Boucher or Yuta as a C.

Why he went undrafted despite a productive college career is his jumpshot. He looked pretty good in the lead up to the draft but at Memphis he hit 42% on freethrows and 0% from three which means he is pretty much only operated off screen and roll and offensive rebounding.

In theory he could be a switchy big because he moves well laterally. He has shown that he can contest guards off the dribble. The issue is both at Baylor and Memphis in the G-League he was a drop coverage big who rarely left the paint. He is going to have to adapt quickly.

I think he will get some run if they continue to be short guys like they are now.

Thanks for the analysis Dalek, is he a lob threat at all?
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,767

Post#44 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:37 pm

JYD 2.0
Jcity08
RealGM
And1: 15,521

Post#45 » by Jcity08 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:47 pm

Flynn found his PnR partner.

Signed with team T.W.O for the 2022-23 2023-24 season.
Inklink
RealGM
And1: 19,214

Post#46 » by Inklink » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:48 pm

Fred van G!
For lease.
kwajo
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,227

Post#47 » by kwajo » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:53 pm

So how long before we start calling him Dizzy?
”I’m just a man, standing in front of a Raptor, asking them to love me.”
MixxSRC
General Manager
And1: 14,092

Post#48 » by MixxSRC » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:56 pm

Inklink wrote:Fred van G!

Steddie Freddie
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Post#49 » by Dalek » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:03 pm

Mikistan wrote:
Dalek wrote:From a size and wingspan perspective he is a lot like Isaiah Stewart from the 2020 draft. He is a total throwback big that will immediately add physicality which is lacking when we throw out Boucher or Yuta as a C.

No, despite the wingspan he is pretty ground-bound. With a 7'6" wingspan he basically can just touch the rim without jumping, but he isn't a killer vertical athlete at all. I think he is here to set a few screens and sit in the dunker spot to rebound. I am sure he will win a few possessions based on his drive to hit people and get boards. Great motor for a big.

While he is pretty quick to get the ball in the hoop, in the NBA he is going to have to watch out for ball strips as he gathers to dunk. Guys are going to be willing to risk fouling him because he is a 40% freethrow shooter although he is a pretty low volume shooter.

What I am curious about is his short game. Likely he can stay in the NBA if he can pass off the short roll and make the occasional 10-12 foot jumpshot. I know he worked on his game during the draft and showed some signs of this at Memphis. Curious if he shows this in Toronto.
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,325

Post#50 » by douggood » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:15 pm

has all the potential hallmarks off a raptors development success story.
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/01/freddie-gillespie-looking-to-complete-unconventional-journey-to-nba.html

The story goes like this: Gillespie, now 6’9″, entered high school at 5’11”. During his growth spurt, he decided to play basketball in his sophomore year. He rapidly improved in his first few seasons, making progress at both ends of the court, but suffered a torn ACL late in his junior year.

He returned the following season, but had lost some of his athleticism and didn’t receive a single Division I or Division II offer. Due to starting basketball late – and in conjunction with his injury – Gillespie decided to focus on academics, something his parents had emphasized throughout his childhood.

Gillespie, who still wanted to play basketball, chose to attend Division III Carleton College. It allowed him to pursue a prestigious degree, but also to play competitively, and his love of the game started to grow stronger.

Gillespie grew to 6’9″ with a 7’6″ wingspan during his freshman year in college, as he committed to growing his game in a way he never had before. It was clear that his athleticism had not only returned — it had strengthened. Along with it came an improved skill set, a higher basketball IQ, and an increased competitive drive.

“It was just hours and hours in the gym, watching film and being relentless with it,” Gillespie said. “Every day that I woke up, I dedicated most — if not all — of my day toward reaching these goals and becoming a better basketball player.”

As a junior, Gillespie averaged just 5.3 points and 4.6 rebounds per game over the course of 26 contests, but he was determined to improve, motivated by his long journey to get there. Those around the program tell stories of him playing guards one-on-one before or after practice in order to improve his lateral quickness.

Simply put, Gillespie was determined to take his game to another level in preparation for his senior season.

“When I first went to Baylor as a walk-on, they have all the players who won Big 12 awards and conference awards, and I told everybody: I’m going to be someone that wins multiple conference awards,” he said. “That’s going to be me as a player. That was in my mind when I first got there. It was a personal goal of mine.”

Gillespie went on to become a force, using several hours of training and film-watching to establish himself as a full-time starter for his final season. He anchored the team’s defense, increasing his averages to 9.6 points, 9.0 rebounds and 2.2 blocks per game in the process.

“Baylor had a top-five defense in the nation and Freddie was the anchor,” Jared Nuness said. “He guarded 1-through-5, and at times, the opposing team’s best player. Not just the coaches, but the players looked for him to clean up any mistakes.”

Gillespie was named to the Big 12 All-Defensive Team and the All-Big 12 Second Team, helping the Bears finish 26-4 while delivering on the promise he made when he first arrived at Baylor. He was also the Big 12 Most Improved Player, as well as the Big 12 Conference
howlin mad axer
Starter
And1: 1,479

Post#51 » by howlin mad axer » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:36 pm

If he were a 7 footer I'd be happy.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,283

Post#52 » by ruckus » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:41 pm

Dalek wrote:
Mikistan wrote:

No, despite the wingspan he is pretty ground-bound. With a 7'6" wingspan he basically can just touch the rim without jumping, but he isn't a killer vertical athlete at all. I think he is here to set a few screens and sit in the dunker spot to rebound. I am sure he will win a few possessions based on his drive to hit people and get boards. Great motor for a big.

While he is pretty quick to get the ball in the hoop, in the NBA he is going to have to watch out for ball strips as he gathers to dunk. Guys are going to be willing to risk fouling him because he is a 40% freethrow shooter although he is a pretty low volume shooter.

What I am curious about is his short game. Likely he can stay in the NBA if he can pass off the short roll and make the occasional 10-12 foot jumpshot. I know he worked on his game during the draft and showed some signs of this at Memphis. Curious if he shows this in Toronto.

I like your analysis. Any thoughts on Omer "Oleg" Yurtseven?
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#53 » by will » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:53 pm

Freddie Gibbs?
elmer_yuck
Veteran
And1: 565

Post#54 » by elmer_yuck » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:54 pm

After reading about him a few weeks ago, I was hoping we'd pick him up.
Not everyone has to be a 3 point shooter. There's still a need for a big man who can rebound and block shots.
People are always saying a PF is "undersized" if he's 6'8", but 6'9" is apparently ok. (Of course there aren't any PFs anymore.)
Same for centers - 6'9" is "undersized", 6'10" is borderline, 6'11" is ok.
One inch in height is not going to make a difference if you have a 9'3" standing reach.
I'm hoping Freddie gets some playing time from stubborn Nick Nurse, and I'm hoping he does well.
visionquest
Starter
And1: 2,378

Post#55 » by visionquest » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:08 pm

Seems like a less productive and less polished Alize Johnson

Earlier this year, Alize was dominant for the Toronto Raptors G-League affiliate Raptors 905 in the NBA G-League Bubble (Gubble). Johnson helped lead his squad to a 12-3 record, averaging 16.6 points and 13.3 rebounds per game, while posting shooting splits of 57/33/76. His play earned him Second Team All NBA G-League honors.

The Nets saw enough to sign the 24-year-old forward to a 10-day contract at the end of March.

In his first game with Brooklyn, Alize had Nets Twitter buzzing when he dropped 23 points and grabbed 13 rebounds against the Utah Jazz in 33 minutes of action.
Tortiglioni
Starter
And1: 3,956

Post#56 » by Tortiglioni » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:12 pm

Rich man's Siakam?
ThemCrookedRefs
Head Coach
And1: 11,190

Post#57 » by ThemCrookedRefs » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:16 pm

He was meant to be a Raptor! Check out the video 20 seconds in. :D

Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,481

Post#58 » by Brinbe » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:25 pm

can you set a screen and catch a lob? fk it, you're in
mcgrady_1
Veteran
And1: 3,159

Post#59 » by mcgrady_1 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:32 pm

ThemCrookedRefs wrote:He was meant to be a Raptor! Check out the video 20 seconds in. :D

Hard not to root for a kid with an attitude like that. I wish him all the success in the world.

But if that's not Chris Bosh's son I'm shocked. They even have the same voice.
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,215

Post#60 » by niQ » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:34 pm

"Fred lobs it to Freddie!"

Return to Toronto Raptors