ImageImageImageImageImage

Quickley Slump

Moderators: mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule

god shammgod
RealGM
And1: 125,999

Re: Quickley Slump 

Post#21 » by god shammgod » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:59 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
prophet_of_rage
RealGM
And1: 6,614

Post#22 » by prophet_of_rage » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:05 pm

That was always my issue with Quickley. He was like a machine gun. He started slow and then became rapid fire, but that also required him freezing out other players.

Obi and Quick is a very bad pairing because if this, but we have no pass first point guard. If we had kept the 33rd pick and taken Maledon, though.

I'm surprised more people don't complain about that.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,446

Post#23 » by Deeeez Knicks » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:11 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
god shammgod wrote:iq is not getting the minutes anymore to shoot his way out of a bad performance. he often started slow but came alive in the 2nd half. against the nets he got 4 shots and 12 minutes. he's getting treated like obi now.

That is a big thing too. He's not even getting enough minutes to find a rythym. It can effect his confidence. Just let him play thru some of that. We can def use his scoring/shooting.

You will never see @ Portland quickly again this season which is sad....he scored 21pts in the 4th qtr..sure he made some mistakes along the way but Payton can't score 21 pts in a game let alone 1 qtr...and Thibs literally has neutered him...at one point he was one of the leaders in 4th pt scoring...now he is an afterthought on the bench.

The sub patterns are very hard to watch. Thibs will play Quickley 12 minutes, then bring him in with 30 seconds left when we need a bucket....Ok, so you are saying Quickley is one of our 5 best offensive players when we need to score and I can agree with that. Then why are you only playing him 12, 13 minutes? Doesnt make any sense.

I don't know why we don't play Quickley more with RJ and Randle either. That 3-man lineup has a +7.3 rating.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,445

Post#24 » by Gravy » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:16 pm

Quickley will be fine, he's hitting the rookie wall right now. When he plays better he will get more minutes. His minutes are comparable to other draft picks in that range.

He's not a pg right now, forcing him to be one takes away from what he's been good at.
cgmw
RealGM
And1: 9,306

Post#25 » by cgmw » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:27 pm

In related news, Thibs is the Bullock/Burks whisperer. Reminds me of what Fizdale thought he’d be able to do for Mudiay.

It’s all very fitting, since we only have IQ because the Knicks preferred Marcus Morris to Kevin Knox. Born by the sword, die by the sword. Viva Payton/Bullock/Burks!
"Sell the team. Sell the team. Sell the team."
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 10,972

Post#26 » by Reign23 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:29 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
god shammgod wrote:iq is not getting the minutes anymore to shoot his way out of a bad performance. he often started slow but came alive in the 2nd half. against the nets he got 4 shots and 12 minutes. he's getting treated like obi now.

since the team has been back to 100% healthy thibs basically has went vets and RJ...thats it...the 9th and 10th guys in his rotation our IQ and Obi. Those are the facts.

And its sad. Its not surprising...but its sad.

but most of the users in here are happy with it. 8th seed and swept in the first round above everything else.
formerly known as knickst4pe
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 89,953

Post#27 » by Capn'O » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:30 pm

god shammgod wrote:
GONYK wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
since the team has been back to 100% healthy thibs basically has went vets and RJ...thats it...the 9th and 10th guys in his rotation our IQ and Obi. Those are the facts.

And its sad. Its not surprising...but its sad.

It's kind of killed the watchability of the team the last 2 weeks or so

yep, i've lost most of my interest

Oregon is now light, sunny, and warm until the games are over. Needless to say, I'm kinda winging it on my comments here lately.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Reign23
RealGM
And1: 10,972

Post#28 » by Reign23 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:32 pm

prophet_of_rage wrote:That was always my issue with Quickley. He was like a machine gun. He started slow and then became rapid fire, but that also required him freezing out other players.

Obi and Quick is a very bad pairing because if this, but we have no pass first point guard. If we had kept the 33rd pick and taken Maledon, though.

I'm surprised more people don't complain about that.

Sent from my SM-N970W using Tapatalk

yeah, I'm sure thibs would play maledon a_lot.
formerly known as knickst4pe
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,432

Post#29 » by j4remi » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:36 pm

IQ’s been pretty much a full-time SG now. Even when Rose is out, Burks has been bringing the ball up a lot more often. I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing because IQ does make his share of mistakes, but then again, IQ draws a GANG of fouls on the ball and just puts a lot of pressure on a defense. I like his fit with the starters better than the bench right now...not feeling the Rose/IQ/Burks combination so far. They might gel with time but injuries keep disrupting what rhythm they start the develop.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
RHODEY
RealGM
And1: 19,055

Post#30 » by RHODEY » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:09 pm

Gravy wrote:Quickley will be fine, he's hitting the rookie wall right now. When he plays better he will get more minutes. His minutes are comparable to other draft picks in that range.

He's not a pg right now, forcing him to be one takes away from what he's been good at.

El Poochio
Knicks Forum Jose Cuervo Man
And1: 24,575

Post#31 » by El Poochio » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:39 pm

Shump slump?

B: L. Doncic | J. Carter | D. Banton
B: D. Melton | A. Burks
B: B. Ingram | K. Oubre | J. Tate
B: Z. Williamson | DJJ | K. Lofton Jr
B: KP | D. Powell
jvsimonetti0514
General Manager
And1: 7,756

Post#32 » by jvsimonetti0514 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:54 pm

I really think he's just hit the rookie wall. The past month he's averaging 11/2/2 on 21 mpg with shooting slashes of 36/33/76. It's not like he's isn't getting shots up either cuz he's averaging 10 shots per game over that same period. He's probably never missed so many free throws in his entire life. That's gotta be a tell tale sign of some tired legs.
I'm apart of a Knicks podcast! You Should check it out!
youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWW9GUVpNULS97PyptXXU4w
Gravy
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,445

Post#33 » by Gravy » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:59 pm

RHODEY wrote:
Gravy wrote:Quickley will be fine, he's hitting the rookie wall right now. When he plays better he will get more minutes. His minutes are comparable to other draft picks in that range.

lol

We cant have these rookies coming in here doing whatever they want and expect development. RJ, Knox, Randle and Mitch all looked their best this season under Thibs. They are trying to prevent Obi from turning into Kanter and IQ from being an inefficient chucker. We got dudes on twitter comparing IQ to Lebron and Giannis to stir up fake controversy like he's already in that category and then bash him when he goes 2 for 10. Let him go through the normal ups and downs of being a rookie.
blueNorange
Knicks Forum Contrarian
And1: 19,884

Post#34 » by blueNorange » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:19 pm

iq has been shooting 38-39% all season long lol.
LOL Y U MAD THO?
mitchell robinson has blocked zion williamson 3 times as of 7/6/19.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 99,623

Post#35 » by mpharris36 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:30 pm

blueNorange wrote:iq has been shooting 38-39% all season long lol.

and we also have much better statistics than FG%...which is essentially worthless without knowing what kind of shots you are taking.
B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,610

Post#36 » by KnicksGadfly » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:41 pm

He'll be fine for a few reasons:

1. The guy is a learner. The way he learned how to sell for fouls, the way he studies other players, it says a lot.
2. The guy is a worker. You don't get to his free throw shooting percentage in college without repetition and good practice.
3. The guy is getting adjusting to the NBA. He's getting scouted, and it's his first season. Teams were respecting his shot pretty early on. He's going to need to learn to play off ball more, but I think he will get there. He's not a true point guard, but that's okay, because the best championship level teams tend to get run by bigger point guards like Lebron or have Draymond Green tossing the ball to Curry.

Give him time and he'll get there. I expected him as merely a 3&D guy when we drafted him and now expectations have risen. Wouldn't be opposed to giving him minutes though. It's Toppin I'm more worried about.
HEZI
RealGM
And1: 26,893

Post#37 » by HEZI » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:45 pm

Streaky player in a cold streak. He lacks ability to do much else so when he's cold he looks really bad. He will find his rhythm again eventually
DENVER NUGGETS
Kyrie Irving/Josh Green/Dennis Schroder
Demar Derozan/Gordon Hayward/Amir Coffey
Torrey Craig/Gary Harris/Cedi Osman
Jarace Walker/Larry Nance Jr./Dominick Barlow
Xavier Tillman/Charles Bassey/Nick Richards
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,168

Post#38 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:09 pm

RHODEY wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Also, he has no hops whatsoever. He has no ability to finish at the rim. Defenses are now prepared and know when to time his floater without worrying about a burst to the rim.

Frank is more valuable to us right now and should be seeing time on the court. So should Knox.

Reminds me of Haliburton :)

Ugh, now I have to go look up Haliburton’s stats.
POSTING POLICIES:
1. Posts are dictated but not proofread most of the time. It depends.
2. All typos are not the fault of the real Harthorne Wingo, may he Rest In Peace.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 40,633

Post#39 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:54 pm

I would still start him, he has gravity and defenders are less likely to leave him when he's off ball, that improves our offense alone without him even needing to score. Plus, starting him keeps him in check, he'd be 3rd ball handler in that instance so there's less chances for him to just gun up shots.
NewKnicks
Sixth Man
And1: 756

Post#40 » by NewKnicks » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:55 pm

IQ has that dog mentality, and he's not afraid to take any shot. Confidence is sky high. We need a lot of players like him. We're lacking in that area.

That said, he's definitely trending down. Hopefully it's just a rookie slump, which I think it will be. The issue I have is everyone was ready to anoint him as one of the next stars in the league. Not everyone needs to be a star to be a really good player.

IQ needs to work on his game. That floater is great, but he needs to add a lot more tools to the chest to be a good player. Him and RJ have that dog mentality. They're both keepers. Even if IQ ends up a Lou Will type player, that would make him a huge success. He's not a PG, and I hope the Knicks don't try to force him to be. He's best suited as an off the ball shooter.

Return to New York Knicks