ImageImageImageImageImage

Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 268 in MSG Usman vs Colby 2, Rose vs Zhang 2

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,647

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 260 Stipe vs Ngannou 2 (winner fights Jon Jones) 

Post#1641 » by HarthorneWingo » Sat Apr 3, 2021 7:33 am

Lesson on how to get out of a rear-naked choke.

Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,496

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: UFC 260 Stipe vs Ngannou 2 (winner fights Jon Jones) 

Post#1642 » by j4remi » Sat Apr 3, 2021 3:28 pm

j4remi wrote:Here’s a nice one. Pitbull just recently knocked out Michael chandler to become a two division champ. Yes, the same chandler who will fight for the ufc title in the toughest division in mma next. The fight is Friday, it’s free, and it’s part of a tournament that has been a whole lot of fun despite some gaps in when the fights take place. The final is likely to be McKee vs Pitbull and both of those dudes are ufc top-five caliber talents under the right circumstances imo.

Read on Twitter

Pitbull just smoked Sanchez. Hurt him on the feet and then guillotined him to sleep. He's arguably the best fighter outside of the UFC right now...and I still think AJ McKee might beat him, because McKee is really, really good too.

Khabib had a cousin show out also. He's a big dude, better striking than I expected and of course he's got grappling chops.

Jason Jackson was on TUF (ATT vs Blackzillians, amazing season that produced Luque and Usman). He beat Neiman Gracie with one eye for most of the fight after his face scraped against the fence in the first round. It's a shame that he never got a UFC look, but Bellator must really take care of him because he's been their workhorse.

And sidenote: Big news yesterday which I hated...

Alex Volkanovski and Brian Ortega will be the TUF coaches this season. I hate this for a myriad of reasons. First and foremost, I don't think they have the personalities for this drama baiting show. Both are soft-spoken and respectful. Neither is particularly charismatic. The coaches really make a big difference in the show. The most memorable moments from TUF are generally the coaches' stuff. Rampage breaking a door...Wanderlei scrapping with Chael...that stuff sells.

So you've got these two, who I don't think will generate much buzz with a depleted talent pool where the last winner got cut after just a few fights (the guy beat Bryce Mitchell to win it too). And they'll be putting FW on pause while they film. So that means Max Holloway, the guy who most people feel is the legitimate best in the division, is just left on the damned fence. Either he beats up more would-be title challengers, or he sits out after having one of the biggest performances of his career.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

And my boy Wonderboy finally got an opponent. Gilbert Burns, aka the worst potential match-up for him in the top 5. I'm confident in him beating every other guy but Burns scares me.

So yeah, not good news for my favorite fighters.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1643 » by HarthorneWingo » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:50 am

Yo, Burroughs lost for the first time in 11 years in the Olympic trials to Kyle Dake

Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1644 » by j4remi » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:18 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:Yo, Burroughs lost for the first time in 11 years in the Olympic trials to Kyle Dake

The reality of combat sports, dudes don't stay on top forever. The ones that do usually pick and choose with extreme caution (ie: GSP in mma, Mayweather in boxing, and I'd argue Khabib fits this). That's not to be mistaken with a negative trait, but I DO think it impacts how I view some other names in the All-time convos that might have more losses but took more risks (I think guys like Aldo and Silva will be perpetually under-appreciated for sticking around after their dominance passed).

I don't key on wrestling like I do some other combat sports, but I feel like the strategy was to score early and then just play defense. Not my favorite approach, but it makes sense in the lower scoring grappling competitions.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1645 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:23 pm

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:Yo, Burroughs lost for the first time in 11 years in the Olympic trials to Kyle Dake

The reality of combat sports, dudes don't stay on top forever. The ones that do usually pick and choose with extreme caution (ie: GSP in mma, Mayweather in boxing, and I'd argue Khabib fits this). That's not to be mistaken with a negative trait, but I DO think it impacts how I view some other names in the All-time convos that might have more losses but took more risks (I think guys like Aldo and Silva will be perpetually under-appreciated for sticking around after their dominance passed).

I don't key on wrestling like I do some other combat sports, but I feel like the strategy was to score early and then just play defense. Not my favorite approach, but it makes sense in the lower scoring grappling competitions.

Good points. Do you think either of these guys make a move to MMA after wrestling?
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1646 » by j4remi » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:41 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Good points. Do you think either of these guys make a move to MMA after wrestling?

I've heard Jordan Burroughs rumors for a really long time. I wouldn't be shocked if he explores a shift more closely now that the streak has ended. Idk about Dake though.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1647 » by j4remi » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:54 pm

Tonight, it's One's first event on TNT and they've got it stacked.

Mighty Mouse is still probably the best 125'er in the world, now he fights at 135 for One and he's still a human highlight reel. He was arguably the P4P top dog.

Eddie Alvarez is the co-main, never has a boring fight and belongs on the shortlist for greatest lightweights ever. He's not the top of the heap, but his career is among the best with titles everywhere including the UFC.

And finally, the real star of the show, Rodtang aka the most entertaining Muay Thai fighter on the planet. Rodtang hits like an animal and he's a TANK. He walks through strikes like no one I've seen.

Here's one of my favorite Rodtang fights and one of the best Muay Thai bouts in One history. Haggerty is also a LOT of fun to watch. I'd recommend checking out a few fights from both these dudes to newcomers to Muay Thai (Tenshin Nasukawa is another fun name because he throws rolling thunders and flashy stuff).

Here's someone trying to make sense of Rodtang's insane chin,
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Mighty Mouse, Eddie Alvarez, Rodtang on TNT 4/7 

Post#1648 » by j4remi » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:16 pm

I completely forgot to mention, famous Senegalese wrestler and recent MMA transplant Reug Reug is fighting tonight as well!

:o :o :o
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

GONYK
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 42,055

Re: Official MMA discussion thread pt 2: Mighty Mouse, Eddie Alvarez, Rodtang on TNT 4/7 

Post#1649 » by GONYK » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:43 am

This ONE Championship is very disappointing if you're an American
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1650 » by HarthorneWingo » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:35 am

Alvarez DQ (first round?) and Mighty Mouse 2nd round KO. Yeesh.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1651 » by HarthorneWingo » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:53 am

:noway:

So, Conor is threatening to pull out of the Dustin Poirier fight because of a series of tweets which concern Conor fail to live up to promise to donate $500,000.00 to his charity after the last fight. That's right, Conor still hasn't ponied up the money. Dustin called him out on it. Conor got pissed. Yada yada. Now Conor is threatening to pull out and not donate the money either.

Free Palestine
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst
And1: 1,565

Post#1652 » by MelosSoreWrist » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:13 am

j4remi wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

I've heard Jordan Burroughs rumors for a really long time. I wouldn't be shocked if he explores a shift more closely now that the streak has ended. Idk about Dake though.

Dake is 30. Burroughs is 32. Ideally you would want a wrestler who is blocked by a world class wrestler so they transition early to MMA to develop their other skills.

Cejudo was 25 when he started training MMA.
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst

Post#1653 » by MelosSoreWrist » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:17 am

Its been a couple of weeks but man, I am really disappointed in how Sterling has acted after his fight... or more specifically what he has said in interviews. And for the record, I dont have a problem with him getting the DQ win.
NYK 455 wrote:
greenhughes wrote:I hope Melo leaves and wins a championship and rubs it all in our face.

How does that make you better than the Lin, Gallo, and Wil fans who root for them over NY?
GEOLINK
General Manager
And1: 8,312

Post#1654 » by GEOLINK » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:53 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote::noway:

So, Conor is threatening to pull out of the Dustin Poirier fight because of a series of tweets which concern Conor fail to live up to promise to donate $500,000.00 to his charity after the last fight. That's right, Conor still hasn't ponied up the money. Dustin called him out on it. Conor got pissed. Yada yada. Now Conor is threatening to pull out and not donate the money either.

When has Conor ever pulled out of a fight? This is the same guy that gave us the whole UFC 200 debacle.

It’s official now.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1655 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:32 pm

GEOLINK wrote:

When has Conor ever pulled out of a fight? This is the same guy that gave us the whole UFC 200 debacle.

It’s official now.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Good. Now he can get another beatdown for stiffing Dustin's charity. Dustin will be fighting for all those little Dustinmaniacs out there who are drinking their milk and eating their vitamins. :P
Free Palestine
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#1656 » by GEOLINK » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:29 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:

It’s official now.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Good. Now he can get another beatdown for stiffing Dustin's charity. Dustin will be fighting for all those little Dustinmaniacs out there who are drinking their milk and eating their vitamins. :P

I think this will be Dustin’s demise unfortunately.

He no longer has the surprise of the calf kicks and was getting stomped by Conor till he gave up in the 2nd.

Conor in 1.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1657 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:35 pm

GEOLINK wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:When has Conor ever pulled out of a fight? This is the same guy that gave us the whole UFC 200 debacle.

It’s official now.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

He no longer has the surprise of the calf kicks and was getting stomped by Conor till he gave up in the 2nd.

Conor in 1.

Haha, Conor won’t make the adjustment. You watch.
Free Palestine
GEOLINK
General Manager

Post#1658 » by GEOLINK » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:37 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
GEOLINK wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:

Conor in 1.

Haha, Conor won’t make the adjustment. You watch.

I’d be shocked. Especially when we saw how well he adjusted in the Nate rematch at times when the pressure was getting heavy and he needed to stay composed.
MelosSoreWrist
Analyst

Post#1659 » by MelosSoreWrist » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:20 pm

UFC fight night: Whittaker vs Gastelum tonight.

Whittaker vs Gastelum should be an alright fight. I think Whittaker picks Kevin apart going in and out like he did Cannonier. I know Gastelum has a good chin but I can see a mid to late rounds finish.

I am interested to see what happens in the Romanov vs Espino fight. Two big fat grapplers with rudimentary standup going at it. I assume whoever ends up on top wins. I pick Romanov who is younger and seemingly stronger and more explosive.

Stephens vs Klose, Arlovski vs Sherman, Alhassan vs Malkoun should be bangers with popping stand up exchanges. I know Klose and Arlovski can make boring fights but I think Stephens and Sherman with their strengths and weaknesses will draw out fun fights.

But overall, a weak fight card. Headliner is the only significant fight and even that is only for Whittaker.
NYK 455 wrote:

bringbackhoffa
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Post#1660 » by bringbackhoffa » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:03 pm

Please funky, please end him tonight
Charlotte Hornets 2024-25

Morant/Alvarado
Edwards/Huerter/Robinson
Durant/Bogdanovic/Royce
Draymond/Highsmith
Gafford/Collins

On the block: Huerter 36/2 years, Rubio- $6/3 years, Mills- $3/3 years, Duncan Robinson- $16/1 year, Okeke- $1/3 years

Return to New York Knicks