2021 NBA Draft

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,185

Re: 2021 NBA Draft 

Post#1781 » by clyde21 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:07 am

it's not that defensive guards can't be useful, it's just that perimeter defense is not really that important compared to everything else, so it's nice that a guy like Mitchell is a menace defensively, but doesn't bring enough value on its own if he doesn't bring anything else to the table (not saying he doesn't, but people talking about him in the lotto to be sure that he can actually manage an offense or consistently get his shots off in the NBA).

we all liked Thybulle coming out, but even he, who he was one of the best defensive prospects we've ever seen, is having trouble finding consistent minutes at the NBA level because of his offense (to be sure, Mitchell is better offensively than Thybulle, just using the comp to make a point).
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,281

Post#1782 » by babyjax13 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:10 am

clyde21 wrote:it's not that defensive guards can't be useful, it's just that perimeter defense is not really that important compared to everything else, so it's nice that a guy like Mitchell is a menace defensively, but doesn't bring enough value on its own if he doesn't bring anything else to the table (not saying he doesn't, but people talking about him in the lotto to be sure that he can actually manage an offense or consistently get his shots off in the NBA).

we all liked Thybulle coming out, but even he, who he was one of the best defensive prospects we've ever seen, is having trouble finding consistent minutes at the NBA level because of his offense (to be sure, Mitchell is better offensively than Thybulle, just using the comp to make a point).

I do think that Mitchell has some wiggle with his ball in the hand and the increased spacing of the NBA will really benefit him. I don't think anyone should be mad to see their team take him in the mid first, but I do think there is some overreaction right now with his draft position.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#1783 » by Upperclass » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:37 am

clyde21 wrote:
Upperclass wrote:Butler isnt an nba player.. Mitchell is barely an nba player. there were so many steals mitchell couldnt get to with his amazing anticipation .. because of his lack of length.. NBA guards will take him to the post and on offense he wont be able to score at the rim. Hes fun though.

terrible take per usual

Care to elaborate?
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#1784 » by jpengland » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:43 am

I would normally shy away from taking bigs 1st overall.

But..

Evan Mobley is can't miss IMO. He looks like a young Kevin Garnett. He's got the physical abilities, he's got a little range but most importantly he has the kind of BBall IQ we rarely see in young bigs. His court vision and passing ability looks outstanding for his age. He reads defenses well.

I take him number 1.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#1785 » by DCasey91 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:47 am

Guys do you think Jared Butler would be there at around pick 28?

Sixers feels like an ideal scenario. Easily see him go abit higher (25 range)

Just wish he was taller though but then he’d def go way higher

But a really good backup guard is where I have him.
Getting Pattycake Mills vibe from him. Would love that for us he’s one of my favs Jared is.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,225

Post#1786 » by doordoor123 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:00 pm

clyde21 wrote:Butler has + ball skills, great handle, can run half-court sets at a decent level, has requisite NBA athleticism, versatile scorer who isn't a negative defensively who can also play off-ball, productive

not sure what there is to overthink about Butler, not sure about his medical redflags haven't heard anything there, but there's no way he shouldn't be a first rounder given his skills and toolset at his position. a good 1st guard off the bench might be his baseline.

Just look at how he handled Suggs, don’t think his height is a huge deal
Almost Retired
Rookie
And1: 570

Post#1787 » by Almost Retired » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:51 pm

Chuck Everett wrote:If Monte Morris can play in the NBA, so can Davion Mitchell. Hell, Dennis Smith Jr. was a lottery pick and he flat out sucks.

The Locked On Draft Podcast hosts think Davion is a First Round talent, but not a lottery level talent. They did say that his man to man perimeter defense is generationally good. I say his level of success will depend, as it does for a lot of players, where he ends up going. What may be perfect for us might not be a perfect fit for another team. He intrigues me because of what he can do...his man to man perimeter defense where we are woefully deficient. A guy like Mitchell can disrupt the flow of an offense, especially one that is highly PG driven. Our bigs are getting exposed too often because we have no containment on the perimeter. And Davion shoots well enough that he cannot be left unguarded. He can shoot from outside if left open and he can drive to the hoop and finish after contact. And I really like his ability to value the basketball. We consistently make too many turnovers, especially our guards. Having Mitchell as our starting PG and Sato off the bench would cut our guard turnovers. My best hope is a trade of Coby to pick up a pick between 9 and 15 to give us a shot at Mitchell.
3toheadmelo
RealGM
And1: 119,100

Post#1788 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:23 pm

Fischella wrote:
MeloNY wrote:
Upperclass wrote:Butler isnt an nba player.. Mitchell is barely an nba player. there were so many steals mitchell couldnt get to with his amazing anticipation .. because of his lack of length.. NBA guards will take him to the post and on offense he wont be able to score at the rim. Hes fun though.

Disagree about Mitchell. He has an elite on ball defender and his bulk makes up for his lack of height. And on offense he's an elite ball handler who can take defenders off the dribble and can stroke it from deep. Don't sleep on this guy at the next level. The only knock is his age. 22.

Butler is an elite handler, Mitchell is average

Jared Butler's handles is not even close to elite. In fact, it's significantly worse than Mitchell's.

I like both Butler and Mitchell but I prefer Mitchell by a long shot
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
clyde21
RealGM

Post#1789 » by clyde21 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:32 pm

3toheadmelo wrote:
Fischella wrote:
MeloNY wrote:
Disagree about Mitchell. He has an elite on ball defender and his bulk makes up for his lack of height. And on offense he's an elite ball handler who can take defenders off the dribble and can stroke it from deep. Don't sleep on this guy at the next level. The only knock is his age. 22.

Butler is an elite handler, Mitchell is average

Jared Butler's handles is not even close to elite. In fact, it's significantly worse than Mitchell's.

sorry, Mitchell can't do this.

Read on Twitter
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#1790 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:44 pm

clyde21 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Fischella wrote:Butler is an elite handler, Mitchell is average

Read on Twitter

wake me up when butler can do this
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
It’s like when lil bitches make subliminal records, if it ain’t directed directly at me, I don’t respect it
clyde21
RealGM

Post#1791 » by clyde21 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:24 pm

lol, Butler can and done way better than that many times...have u actually seen him play?

Read on Twitter

anyone who says Butler doesn't have a great handle simply has no idea what he's talking about, sorry.
3toheadmelo
RealGM

Post#1792 » by 3toheadmelo » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:37 pm

i've been talking up butler on the knicks board since last year's draft my guy and wanted my knicks to get him before he pulled out of the draft. with that being said, it's pretty obvious that mitchell has a much more advanced, tighter handle. you just posted a clip of butler almost losing the ball and then said i don't know what i'm talking about :rofl: i guess monte morris is an elite ball handler with your logic cause that's who he compares the most to.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#1793 » by No-Man » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:13 am

What are you even talking about? Butler has the best handles in this draft class with Cooper man
clyde21
RealGM

Post#1794 » by clyde21 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:20 am

there is no way Mitchell has a tighter handle than Butler, the things Butler can do in traffic attacking the basket with his handle is way more advanced than Mitchell's, like it's pretty indisputable

Read on Twitter
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,765

Post#1795 » by Upperclass » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:31 am

clyde21 wrote:
3toheadmelo wrote:
Fischella wrote:Butler is an elite handler, Mitchell is average

Read on Twitter

Every small guard in college basketball can do that..

Butler does have a good handle and a nice cross.. but it isnt a difference-maker. He wouldnt be able to get to the cup in the league. and I like his game alot.. I just dont think hes an NBA player. Not sure what it is tbh and its odd because if he was 6'6 he'd be one of the best players in the league imo. But i just think he's too small for the type of game he plays.

And actually, as odd as it sounds.. that whole Baylor team reminded me of a collegiate version of the bulls.. Butler has MJ traits.. poise, quiet tenacity, steady, unstoppable when he needs to be.. D mitch was the pitbull scottie on D.. Vital Rodman.. Maceo.. Ron harper.. Flagler.. Kerr/BJ.. Mayer .. Kukoc.. the Random bigs downlow and off the bench for rebounding and size.. and the tenacious D and aggressiveness that you dont see from college teams .. I just dont know if Mitch or Butler translate.. and Mitchell's athleticism seems to be on the level of a Tyreek Hill from the nfl
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#1796 » by karkinos » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:21 am

i've never seen such polarizing takes on a player's handles before
ruffian253
Junior
And1: 125

Post#1797 » by ruffian253 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:54 am

Both are great college bball players, but at best in the NBA, long careers as backup PGs. There height isn't that great, but not too bad for a PG, as theyrrally don't really bring anything special or great to be a starting PG.
Hoopz Afrik
Veteran
And1: 2,064

Post#1798 » by Hoopz Afrik » Fri Apr 9, 2021 3:26 pm

Jared Butler is being criminally underrated. A lot of CJ McCollum in him to me. Top 10 guy IMO.
Super Eagles GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1799 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:26 pm

Am I the only one who thinks Queta is being underrated? He may not be a star, but he has alot of tools. His footwork is phenominal and he has a good touch around the basket. Great shotblocker, really underrate passer. Hit 70% of his FT's this year so there is hope for development in shooting. Just seems like a guy who isnt talked about enough.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#1800 » by clyde21 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 7:18 pm

new ESPN mock has Mitchell going 7th overall

Return to NBA Draft