ImageImageImage

The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,020

Re: The Ben Simmons Megathread - Part IV 

Post#1861 » by eyeatoma » Wed Apr 7, 2021 8:51 am

notericjr wrote:Just so people know - Liam was the guy that was working for the sixers temporarily as Ben's shooting coach. He's not the one she's referring to here. She's referring to Sean.

Sean is basically Ben's manager/full time assistant, he's constantly with Ben (almost every day) so he's probably Ben's closest confidant - as someone else mentioned, Ben recently bought him a car for his birthday.

Olivia does have a history talking lot of you know what, but she's never said anything like this. She just tweeted about her mom having her on the pill since 11 - what the actual ****? This family clearly has some issues they need to knuckle out.

Ah, thanks for clarifying.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#1862 » by DCasey91 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:05 am

notericjr wrote:Just so people know - Liam was the guy that was working for the sixers temporarily as Ben's shooting coach. He's not the one she's referring to here. She's referring to Sean.

Sean is basically Ben's manager/full time assistant, he's constantly with Ben (almost every day) so he's probably Ben's closest confidant - as someone else mentioned, Ben recently bought him a car for his birthday.

Olivia does have a history talking lot of you know what, but she's never said anything like this. She just tweeted about her mom having her on the pill since 11 - what the actual ****? This family clearly has some issues they need to knuckle out.

That isn’t unusual either. Onset of puberty has dropped significantly per decade. But that’s an entirely different story.

Every family/familial ties has issues, big or small
never heard/met/witnessed a “normal” one from any tier of socieo/economic status. Add all of sudden going from middle/to upper class all the way to uber Rich/Status. Many Many factors at play.
VDT
Analyst
And1: 2,106

Post#1863 » by VDT » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:40 pm

I highly doubt that Simmons is influenced by that, which he must have known (if true) for a while anyway.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1864 » by eyeatoma » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:08 pm

VDT wrote:I highly doubt that Simmons is influenced by that, which he must have known (if true) for a while anyway.

He said in an interview that there was a lot of stuff going on. What else could he mean? You don't think this would qualify?
Philly2good
Pro Prospect
And1: 134

Post#1865 » by Philly2good » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:18 pm

VDT wrote:I highly doubt that Simmons is influenced by that, which he must have known (if true) for a while anyway.

:crazy:
VDT
Analyst

Post#1866 » by VDT » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:32 pm

Philly2good wrote:

I got the impression that what's new is his sister going public and that the family already has known what is happening for some time now. Assuming his sister is telling the truth. In any case, i would be surprised if that's the reason for Simmons performance. Players go through difficult times all the time (divorces, death/illness in the family etc) without that necessarily impacting their performance. Simmons is probably going through a slump and people are trying to rationalize it. Slumps happen to everyone.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#1867 » by eyeatoma » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:42 pm

VDT wrote:
Philly2good wrote:

I got the impression that what's new is his sister going public and that the family already has known what is happening for some time now. Assuming his sister is telling the truth. In any case, i would be surprised if that's the reason for Simmons performance. Players go through difficult times all the time (divorces, death/illness in the family etc) without that necessarily impacting their performance. Simmons is probably going through a slump and people are trying to rationalize it. Slumps happen to everyone.

Maybe, I just don't think we can assume. We know this guy is mentally not as strong as some players as far as confidence goes. Anything can set him off. I'd say this qualifies, but perhaps you're right. However, given the fact that he said he had stuff going on, I'd hedge my bets on this being it. Now, if we see instagram feeds of him hanging out with Sean, or giving him another car, than you're probably right lol.
notericjr
Sophomore
And1: 132

Post#1868 » by notericjr » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:29 pm

man this entire situation is so ****. not saying olivia is lying but speaking specifically about ben in this situation (as this is his thread afterall), imagine being in the middle of all of this, on one side its his sister, his other side his brother who he works with everyday. when people get approached with scenarios like this they tend to withdraw completely....eyeatoma mentioned in another thread that bens been streaming a lot lately....makes sense that he's trying to distract himself from this stuff. what a **** situation man
notericjr
Sophomore
And1: 132

Post#1869 » by notericjr » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:34 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
VDT wrote:
Philly2good wrote: :crazy:

Maybe, I just don't think we can assume. We know this guy is mentally not as strong as some players as far as confidence goes. Anything can set him off. I'd say this qualifies, but perhaps you're right. However, given the fact that he said he had stuff going on, I'd hedge my bets on this being it. Now, if we see instagram feeds of him hanging out with Sean, or giving him another car, than you're probably right lol.

if ben starts posting stuff with his brother again then it kinda tells us what he thinks about this whole thing and that it might mean his sister was just having another bipolar ep. also in her tweets she mentioned that this was 'her truth' not 'the truth.'

recently its become a pretty popular phrase by people who allege they've been sexually assaulted but i dont think we should have that discussion on here lol
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#1870 » by DCasey91 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:08 am

VDT wrote:
Philly2good wrote:

Ben’s said something was impacting him personally if this is it then yes it would affect your play. He ain’t a robot it’s just a really bad thing that happened. And if he’s close with both

Ain’t rationalization. I’m sure everyone has had/heard a story close by that had bad/sad/disaster ending to it.
PennSports
Junior
And1: 433

Post#1871 » by PennSports » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:47 am

notericjr wrote:man this entire situation is so ****. not saying olivia is lying but speaking specifically about ben in this situation (as this is his thread afterall), imagine being in the middle of all of this, on one side its his sister, his other side his brother who he works with everyday. when people get approached with scenarios like this they tend to withdraw completely....eyeatoma mentioned in another thread that bens been streaming a lot lately....makes sense that he's trying to distract himself from this stuff. what a **** situation man

now that this stuff is starting to blow up twitch is probably the last place he wants to be

chat will just be endless about this
syntax
Sixth Man
And1: 651

Post#1872 » by syntax » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:28 pm

This is an open letter to anyone constantly complaining about Ben and is supposedly a fan and knowledgeable about NBA basketball.

Please take a few minutes to reflect on the Sixers, where they came from, their situation now and what could lie ahead.

I'll help you out a bit.

Today's NBA is clearly driven by the analytics revolution. It's not everything, but you could argue it is the smartest way to build a winning team when harnessed well. Morey and the Sixers are one of the pioneers in this area.

The Sixers front office consists of data scientists (10 people, with PDs), scouts, coaches, trainers and an owner who made a fortune of this strategy. He bought the team for peanuts and now it's worth billions. They all share a common believe in a plan and in Ben.

And.... it's working, the Sixers are first in the East.

Just let it tickle your grey matter for a second, home court in the East. Their innovative research into building a winning NBA basketball team may be working. So before ridiculing the 24 year old three time all star in his fourth year, keep all this in mind.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,748

Post#1873 » by Negrodamus » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:51 pm

syntax wrote:This is an open letter to anyone constantly complaining about Ben and is supposedly a fan and knowledgeable about NBA basketball.

Please take a few minutes to reflect on the Sixers, where they came from, their situation now and what could lie ahead.

I'll help you out a bit.

Today's NBA is clearly driven by the analytics revolution. It's not everything, but you could argue it is the smartest way to build a winning team when harnessed well. Morey and the Sixers are one of the pioneers in this area.

The Sixers front office consists of data scientists (10 people, with PDs), scouts, coaches, trainers and an owner who made a fortune of this strategy. He bought the team for peanuts and now it's worth billions. They all share a common believe in a plan and in Ben.

Just let it tickle your grey matter for a second, home court in the East. Their innovative research into building a winning NBA basketball team may be working. So before ridiculing the 24 year old three time all star in his fourth year, keep all this in mind.

I don't think this brain tickler is illuminating information that absolves Ben of fault. I like Ben, he's definitely one of the better players in the NBA, but he's definitely not without criticism.

I'd say the bigger reason we're in first in the East is because the East is trash this year and we have a dominating MVP on our team.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#1874 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:55 pm

syntax wrote:This is an open letter to anyone constantly complaining about Ben and is supposedly a fan and knowledgeable about NBA basketball.

I'll help you out a bit.

Im not shooting down ben.

But we almost traded him for Harden. So it’s not like Ben is an cheat code analytical player that is responsible for us being in the first place. If there’s a guy who can be that, it’s Embiid.

Im OK holding unto Ben than trading him for a package with a guy like CJ McCullom as the best player.

I dont mind having him. But if there’s a guy who I think can make us into an all time great team like Harden that is available for Ben, I’d do it in a heart beat.

And either way, Ben has to improve his scoring particularly his shooting. Who wouldnt want him to improve?
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
syntax
Sixth Man

Post#1875 » by syntax » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:07 pm

Negrodamus wrote:

I'll help you out a bit.

I don't think this brain tickler is illuminating information that absolves Ben of fault. I like Ben, he's definitely one of the better players in the NBA, but he's definitely not without criticism.

I'd say the bigger reason we're in first in the East is because the East is trash this year and we have a dominating MVP on our team.

Why is he at fault? Why criticisem him for playing winning basketball?
syntax
Sixth Man

Post#1876 » by syntax » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:14 pm

76ciology wrote:

I'll help you out a bit.

But we almost traded him for Harden. So it’s not like Ben is an cheat code analytical player that is responsible for us being in the first place. If there’s a guy who can be that, it’s Embiid.

Im OK holding unto Ben than trading him for a package with a guy like CJ McCullom as the best player.

I dont mind having him. But if there’s a guy who I think can make us into an all time great team like Harden that is available for Ben, I’d do it in a heart beat.

And either way, Ben has to improve his scoring particularly his shooting. Who wouldnt want him to improve?

He is out there to improve the team. Does him improving his shooting do that? Does the analytics say that? If it did, do you think the millions of dollars worth of data and analysis would be telling Ben to keep doing what he's doing?
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1877 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:38 pm

syntax wrote:
76ciology wrote:

I'll help you out a bit.

He is out there to improve the team. Does him improving his shooting do that? Does the analytics say that? If it did, do you think the millions of dollars worth of data and analysis would be telling Ben to keep doing what he's doing?

Yes, if he can be a better scorer, more particularly a better shooter, he will improve the team.

Turning it around. Do you mean data is telling ben to not improve his shooting?

Data is saying he shouldnt shoot because he’s terrible at it.

But I’d say data is saying he should shoot if he can improve into as good as a shooter as someone like Julius Randle or Lonzo Ball. Because currently, I’m betting on Dwight Howard if there’s a 3pt contest between him and Ben.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#1878 » by 76ciology » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:39 pm

You can’t blindly support a player and tell him he is perfect for who he is, like your wife.

You support a player and tell him where he is right now and where he should be so he can be a better player.

If Ben thinks he is perfectly fine as an offensive player, then I think he is lost.

If there isnt anything wrong with him, we wont be on a megathread part 4 page 94 talking about a topic over and over again. :lol:
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 13,748

Post#1879 » by Negrodamus » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:48 pm

syntax wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:

I'll help you out a bit.

Why is he at fault? Why criticisem him for playing winning basketball?

Because I watch the games and see how his limitations kill our offense at times. I know you're a big fan, and that's great, But objectively there are problems with his game that affect our offensive production. That said, I'm not saying Ben is a "problem" and deserves all fault for any shortcomings the team might see.

Additionally, we hold him, Joel, and Tobias to a higher standard than the other guys because they are paid a ton of money and need to perform at that level consistently. I still don't get why anyone is annoyed with criticism of our players. It's weird to me.
VDT
Analyst

Post#1880 » by VDT » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:17 pm

Simmons is what he is. Maybe he slowly improves the next years and becomes better offensively. If he can limit his main assignment and gives us a 16/7/7 or thereabouts in the playoffs i would be satisfied.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers