ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps sign Freddie Gillespie to 10day

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,135

Re: Raps sign Freddie Gillespie to 10day 

Post#81 » by Dalek » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:37 pm

ruckus wrote:
Dalek wrote:
Mikistan wrote:Thanks for the analysis Dalek, is he a lob threat at all?

No, despite the wingspan he is pretty ground-bound. With a 7'6" wingspan he basically can just touch the rim without jumping, but he isn't a killer vertical athlete at all. I think he is here to set a few screens and sit in the dunker spot to rebound. I am sure he will win a few possessions based on his drive to hit people and get boards. Great motor for a big.

While he is pretty quick to get the ball in the hoop, in the NBA he is going to have to watch out for ball strips as he gathers to dunk. Guys are going to be willing to risk fouling him because he is a 40% freethrow shooter although he is a pretty low volume shooter.

What I am curious about is his short game. Likely he can stay in the NBA if he can pass off the short roll and make the occasional 10-12 foot jumpshot. I know he worked on his game during the draft and showed some signs of this at Memphis. Curious if he shows this in Toronto.

I like your analysis. Any thoughts on Omer "Oleg" Yurtseven?

Georgetown is known for its bigs and Yurtseven is a good semi-mobile seven footer. I am not a fan of traditional bigs that are over 260 lbs and don't have a plus wingspan or vertical explosion.

To me projects to be somewhere between a Ivica Zubac or Alex Len. Len is a bit more explosive and a better shotblocker, while Zubac is a best case scenario but he is all around better player than Yurtseven. Yurtseven does have some nice face up skills and back to the basket touch, and from his youth development he understands the game playing in Europe and in college.

He is likely going to play drop coverage at the rim and would be killed in pick and rolls if he steps out beyond the freethrow line. I don't think Yurtseven can handle the explosive guards in the NBA. This guy belongs in Europe, where he will be successful, but maybe he'll get a ten day in the NBA. To me he needs to add some more quickness and strength. He looks a bit doughy for an NBA player.
YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,485

Post#82 » by YelloC » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:41 pm

This is the type of signing I was hoping for.
Once Dieng, Drummond and LMA were off the market, my hope was that we’d look at Developmental bigs as opposed to usual retreads.
With his delayed introduction to basketball/Height he could have a few extra levels that he could reach if properly developed.
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,961

Post#83 » by Metallikid » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:42 pm

Duffman100 wrote:6'9 245 with a 7'6 wingspan Averages 10 rebounds a game. At least it's a big.

Play him over Baynes.

I'd play Muggsy Bogues over Baynes.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,685

Post#84 » by BoyzNTheHood » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:43 pm

I actually liked Freddie GIllespie during his draft year, he was an advanced stats monster. But since he was an older prospect I'd hoped he'd be signed as a undrafted free agent, or spend some time in the G-League and then get called up. So this is perfect for me.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
VancouverRaps
Head Coach
And1: 12,850

Post#85 » by VancouverRaps » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:55 pm

Looks like an interesting young player, I hope he gets some minutes to actually prove himself. If the team can find a decent young backup Center for the future by the end of this year, that’s a nice small win.
We the Champs
WeThe2019Champs
Veteran
And1: 2,632

Post#86 » by WeThe2019Champs » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:56 pm

Come on Baynes take some time off (rest of the season) you earned it :-? . Let Gillespie take over.
No More Tanking!
Dalek
RealGM

Post#87 » by Dalek » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:02 pm

BoyzNTheHood wrote:I actually liked Freddie GIllespie during his draft year, he was an advanced stats monster. But since he was an older prospect I'd hoped he'd be signed as a undrafted free agent, or spend some time in the G-League and then get called up. So this is perfect for me.

I don't know how familiar you are with Gillespie, but he had a rough time getting to even this point. He has a Chris Boucher type of story. Tons of bad injuries as a young player cost him a decent scholarship, played first in Division III (similar to Duncan Robinson), to being a walk-on at Baylor, to later becoming all-conference, to missing the Tournament last year with Baylor because of the lockdown, then going undrafted because I doubt anyone had time to work him out. This guy is 100% about working hard and a great character guy. Here's an article that talks a bit about him and his defense:

“This came by playing a lot of the guards one-on-one, working on my lateral quickness, my body, my base and my core to be able to guard the post. Working on reactivity so I can go block shots and play steals. All of the things like that. I knew I wanted to become a great defender. I wanted to be a guy that’s looked at as, ‘We could put him on the floor and he’s someone that could lock down the other team’s best player.’

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2021/01/freddie-gillespie-looking-to-complete-unconventional-journey-to-nba.html

Block reel:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

An even better video package of his defense:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 36,311

Post#88 » by Tor_Raps » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:10 pm

5 pages for a guy who might not even touch the court lol.
WeThe2019Champs
Veteran
And1: 2,632

Post#89 » by WeThe2019Champs » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:17 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:5 pages for a guy who might not even touch the court lol.

Im sure your right lol but our C position is so **** right now any news is great news.
No More Tanking!
Dalek
RealGM

Post#90 » by Dalek » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:21 pm

I mean the Raps could have went safe and signed Ellenson or Donta Hall to a ten day. They went after Gillespie not to fulfill a requirement but to get a look at a guy that would fit their mold of big to some extent. IMO this guy fits the Raps culture: undrafted, unheralded, hardworking, high IQ versatile defender. I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks and they work him out further over the summer to fully train him and get him through a full player development camp.
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#91 » by Tor_Raps » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:22 pm

WeThe2019Champs wrote:

Im sure your right lol but our C position is so **** right now any news is great news.

Oh I agree... a player like Moses Brown who has looked great for OKC can give us hope that this can work. It's just highly unlikely given that only the very unwanted players are left on the free agent board.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#92 » by Dalek » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:23 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
WeThe2019Champs wrote:

Oh I agree... a player like Moses Brown who has looked great for OKC can give us hope that this can work. It's just highly unlikely given that only the very unwanted players are left on the free agent board.

Listen to this guy and tell me he doesn't sounds like the right fit for Toronto:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#93 » by Tor_Raps » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:25 pm

Dalek wrote:

I mean the Raps could have went safe and signed Ellenson or Donta Hall to a ten day. They went after Gillespie not to fulfill a requirement but to get a look at a guy that would fit their mold of big to some extent. IMO this guy fits the Raps culture: undrafted, unheralded, hardworking, high IQ versatile defender. I wouldn't be surprised if he sticks and they work him out further over the summer to fully train him and get him through a full player development camp.

Now will Nurse even give this guy a chance to play? He is very against trying anyone new and if he does, they get like 5 minutes. One mistake and you're benched so Siakam/OG/Fred can play 40 minutes each.
Tor_Raps
RealGM

Post#94 » by Tor_Raps » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:29 pm

Dalek wrote:
Tor_Raps wrote:
WeThe2019Champs wrote:

Listen to this guy and tell me he doesn't sounds like the right fit for Toronto:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

This may sound snobbish but I cannot listen to that until I see him play. Very hard to get excited about any player on a 10 day contract. Let's circle back when he does. I will show my Buzz Killington self out of this thread lol.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,527

Post#95 » by Syd-TK3 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:31 pm

As long as he don't effect the tank I don't mind seeing some young big get a shot
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,660

Post#96 » by johanliebert » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:44 pm

gbball wrote:This guy looks like he has a nice combo of smarts, physical tools and drive. I see a big man version of OG. I'd be nice if he was a better leaper, but the standing reach helps. He got a 36.5 vertical it looks like, but I don't really see it in the highlights.

I don’t see it either. For instance ross had a 38 inch vert at the combine...36 is good for a big
alienchild
RealGM
And1: 17,155

Post#97 » by alienchild » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:58 pm

Tor_Raps wrote:
WeThe2019Champs wrote:

Not necessarily unwanted player's, but players that don't match up with team needs. Teams need to have an open slot in their roster and not all teams needed a big. In fact the teams looking for bigs were consumed with Drummond, Dieng, Aldridge and not looking for younger players. I think this is as much about next year as this year, an early audition for development possibilities. If he can get 8-10 mins/game, give us a few boards, maybe a block, and if necessary 6 fouls, he could have a foot in the door.
Everybody is losing their freaking minds. Nutbars and wingnuts have infested this forum. We've become a public lavatory without cleaning staff.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,685

Post#98 » by BoyzNTheHood » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:12 pm

Read on Twitter
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Preliudas
Senior
And1: 457

Post#99 » by Preliudas » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:17 pm

Lol. Him over Baynes? I don't know man lol
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,645

Post#100 » by LoveMyRaps » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:28 am

Duffman100 wrote:6'9 245 with a 7'6 wingspan Averages 10 rebounds a game. At least it's a big.

Play him over Baynes.

Sturdy Freddy.
In Masai We Trust :meditate:

Return to Toronto Raptors