ImageImageImage

Which likely playoff teams are you worried about?

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Which likely playoff teams are you worried about?

Utah Jazz
4%
LA Clippers
15%
Denver Nuggets
40%
LA Lakers
40%
Dallas Mavericks
No votes
Memphis Grizzlies
No votes
Portland Trailblazers
2%
New Orleans Pelicans
No votes
San Antonio Spurs
No votes
Golden State Warriors
No votes

Total votes: 48

TouchPassDario
Pro Prospect
And1: 338

Re: Which likely playoff teams are you worried about? 

Post#21 » by TouchPassDario » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:19 pm

Clippers are easily > Nuggets as a playoff team, although H2H the Clippers are a decent matchup for Denver.

Nuggets ran so hot (namely Murray shooting better than he ever has or will by far on volume) to not lose in the 1st round in 5.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#22 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:06 pm

RedIndian wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Suns current playoffs experience.

Paul -109 games

Crowder- 72 games

Saric- 10 games. He was really good in that first Philly playoff run.

Cam Payne played 64 garbage time playoff minutes for OKC

Anyone they play is going to be tough and likely more playoff tested. Sun play good D and if they hit 3s they could beat anyone. Getting Booker, Bridges, Ayton, and Johnson some playoff experience is going to be great for this team moving forward.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

Torrey Craig - 33 games
Kaminsky - 7 games
Galloway - 4 games
Etwaun Moore - 9 games

Nader and Payne have some garbage time experience as well in the playoffs.
I totally spaced on Craig when putting that list together.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#23 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:12 pm

Most playoff teams of our calibre have most of their starters with playoff experience. I think the startling fact is that 3 of the 5 starters on the Sun's have played zero minutes in the playoffs. Now I'm sure that's gonna play a real factor in the playoffs, no denying that but I do think the media narrative is probably exaggerating our inexperience considering Crowder and CP3 have almost 200 games of combined playoff experience with Crowder playing deep into the Finals last season. The fact that a lot of pundits and general basketball fans don't consider us a legit threat for the championship is reasonable but I do wonder what the consensus would be if we had squeaked into the playoffs last season and taken our first round beaten then.

Are we a legit legit contender this season because we get swept in the hypothetical 1st round last season?
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#24 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:40 pm

lilfishi22 wrote:Most playoff teams of our calibre have most of their starters with playoff experience. I think the startling fact is that 3 of the 5 starters on the Sun's have played zero minutes in the playoffs. Now I'm sure that's gonna play a real factor in the playoffs, no denying that but I do think the media narrative is probably exaggerating our inexperience considering Crowder and CP3 have almost 200 games of combined playoff experience with Crowder playing deep into the Finals last season. The fact that a lot of pundits and general basketball fans don't consider us a legit threat for the championship is reasonable but I do wonder what the consensus would be if we had squeaked into the playoffs last season and taken our first round beaten then.

Are we a legit legit contender this season because we get swept in the hypothetical 1st round last season?
It might have changed the views a little but I don't think it's the only factor. I think all the non Laker teams get doubted as 'real' contenders, with good reason since he hasn't lost a non finals series in like a decade and the Lakers rolled to the chip last year. Then there's the factor that there are like 5 other non Laker teams who can probably consider themselves contenders but the reality is some will be done round 1.

Some really good teams are going to end their season early, that doesn't make them frauds. Just a reality in the brutal West.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Mulhollanddrive
RealGM
And1: 7,912

Post#25 » by Mulhollanddrive » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:59 pm

Best result would be Clippers or Denver knocking out the Lakers in R1.

Then you might have Utah, Clippers, Denver, Phoenix left and each team will be confident from there.
Keith_myath
Pro Prospect
And1: 589

Post#26 » by Keith_myath » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:49 am

Lakers simply because the NBA want them in the finals for rating and profits.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,637

Post#27 » by Qwigglez » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:09 pm

I think some of you may be putting too much into having playoff experience. Could very well be a double-edged sword, but I don't necessarily think it's as bad as it appears. First off, at the very least, you could always see what works in a playoff settings vs many players, but teams can't do that vs the Suns. Sure they can take sample sizes from games throughout the season, but you could also attribute a bad one game performance from Booker or Chris Paul or anyone as just an off-night.

As far as who I'm mostly worried about it's definitely Lakers and then probably Nuggets, and Blazers. Actually looking at the current seeding, it's almost picture perfect for the Suns, though I would prefer the Clippers and Lakers to battle in the 1st round. However, Lakers Nuggets would be a blood bath and I would love to see Lillard vs Paul George. Suns have the Mavs, and then Jazz vs Grizzlies isn't anything exciting.

From the East I have the Nets in the Finals like everyone else does. Though I'm hoping someone like the Sixers or Bucks knock them off.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,369

Post#28 » by bwgood77 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:37 pm

Qwigglez wrote:I think some of you may be putting too much into having playoff experience. Could very well be a double-edged sword, but I don't necessarily think it's as bad as it appears. First off, at the very least, you could always see what works in a playoff settings vs many players, but teams can't do that vs the Suns. Sure they can take sample sizes from games throughout the season, but you could also attribute a bad one game performance from Booker or Chris Paul or anyone as just an off-night.

As far as who I'm mostly worried about it's definitely Lakers and then probably Nuggets, and Blazers. Actually looking at the current seeding, it's almost picture perfect for the Suns, though I would prefer the Clippers and Lakers to battle in the 1st round. However, Lakers Nuggets would be a blood bath and I would love to see Lillard vs Paul George. Suns have the Mavs, and then Jazz vs Grizzlies isn't anything exciting.

From the East I have the Nets in the Finals like everyone else does. Though I'm hoping someone like the Sixers or Bucks knock them off.

Booker struggles in late game situations (at least often times) and tries to do to much at times. In the playoffs with all games on national tv I think this gets worse. He did have that great bubble shot, but a lot of people discount the bubble for all players, whether warranted or not without a real playoff atmosphere, fans, etc....and he played much more consistently there (albeit a bunch of teams resting, or with injured all stars or nothing to play for, as we played no one fighting for a playoff spot, which was odd).
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#29 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:03 pm

I posted this in another thread but it should probably go here because the number 1 reason I think the suns 'can' beat anyone is defense. It's crazy to say given the franchises history on that end of the floor but the suns are a legit good defensive team.

Read on Twitter

Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,637

Post#30 » by Qwigglez » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:05 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:I think some of you may be putting too much into having playoff experience. Could very well be a double-edged sword, but I don't necessarily think it's as bad as it appears. First off, at the very least, you could always see what works in a playoff settings vs many players, but teams can't do that vs the Suns. Sure they can take sample sizes from games throughout the season, but you could also attribute a bad one game performance from Booker or Chris Paul or anyone as just an off-night.

Booker struggles in late game situations (at least often times) and tries to do to much at times. In the playoffs with all games on national tv I think this gets worse. He did have that great bubble shot, but a lot of people discount the bubble for all players, whether warranted or not without a real playoff atmosphere, fans, etc....and he played much more consistently there (albeit a bunch of teams resting, or with injured all stars or nothing to play for, as we played no one fighting for a playoff spot, which was odd).

He's been missing shots in late game situations for sure, but I think that'll average out. That shot last night on Mitchell that could have ended it in the 4th was exactly what the Suns want given the defense. No one helped out, Booker was iso'd and he just missed. I think Booker was too focused on making sure it was the last shot with no time left in case the Jazz grabbed a rebound, I believe they had two time outs left in regulation.

Anyway, I think Booker played pretty well in OT, and overall the biggest factor to me that separates the Suns from other teams is Booker/CP3's midrange game. I know someone tweeted about it recently that Booker/CP3 both shoot over 50% from mid-range, but to me that is huge. Most teams jack up 3's and drive to the rim, because statistically those are the best shots. But in the playoffs, when teams focus in and scout the opposition, they'll run guys off the 3, and clog the paint. Teams will have to guard Booker and CP3 from mid-range which leads to easier shots for the rest of the guys, and for me, I believe that will be a huge factor. The in-between game is a lost art, and I think the Suns will utilize that to their advantage.

Also I did look up stats for the mid-range shots for some notable players. Murray and Kyrie are pretty close to shooting 50%, but most other all-star players are hovering around 45% from that range. Again Booker and Cp3 shoot above 50%.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,369

Post#31 » by bwgood77 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:59 pm

Qwigglez wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

He's been missing shots in late game situations for sure, but I think that'll average out. That shot last night on Mitchell that could have ended it in the 4th was exactly what the Suns want given the defense. No one helped out, Booker was iso'd and he just missed. I think Booker was too focused on making sure it was the last shot with no time left in case the Jazz grabbed a rebound, I believe they had two time outs left in regulation.

Anyway, I think Booker played pretty well in OT, and overall the biggest factor to me that separates the Suns from other teams is Booker/CP3's midrange game. I know someone tweeted about it recently that Booker/CP3 both shoot over 50% from mid-range, but to me that is huge. Most teams jack up 3's and drive to the rim, because statistically those are the best shots. But in the playoffs, when teams focus in and scout the opposition, they'll run guys off the 3, and clog the paint. Teams will have to guard Booker and CP3 from mid-range which leads to easier shots for the rest of the guys, and for me, I believe that will be a huge factor. The in-between game is a lost art, and I think the Suns will utilize that to their advantage.

Also I did look up stats for the mid-range shots for some notable players. Murray and Kyrie are pretty close to shooting 50%, but most other all-star players are hovering around 45% from that range. Again Booker and Cp3 shoot above 50%.

Yeah, it was good that Book took the shot with no time left, and considering he was handling the ball, a pass may have resulted in a turnover. Ultimately I would prefer the ball in Paul's hands in late game situations and to run a play like we did for Book's game winner against Dallas or just stick to the regular motion offense instead of 4 stationary guys and Booker iso-ing.

The previous possession where he put up the floater was actually a nice shot, but just unfortunately bounced out. He has been better at FT's as of late, but obviously that late miss hurt too that could have iced it and we had to hope they missed their last shot and luckily they did. Ultimately they shouldn't have gotten a last shot in regulation or OT to attempt to tie it...I know we won by 4 but that was due to a missed shot the previous possession by them and a foul on Paul who iced it.

I do agree that I like that they are so good in the midrange. Spoelstra even talked about that...how we took exactly the kind of shots they want to force teams into, but we are so efficient from there it didn't matter.

Return to Phoenix Suns