ImageImageImage

Fire Brad Stevens.

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Re: Fire Brad Stevens. 

Post#101 » by JediMasterRevan » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:49 pm

pac213up wrote:Brad is not the problem, also he is very likely aligned with Ainge in terms of what the priorities are this year. Fans may not like the biproduct of that but it is what it is. If Ainge and ownership was shooting for a title they would have put themselves in a different position at the beginning of the year with a roster complimented by veterans, not unproven rookies. The timeline changed when Gordon left. Now it is about evaluating & developing Tatum and Brown. These are the growing pains of having 2 extremely young players leading the way. Young players do not generally win NBA championships regardless of how talented they are or will become.

That is an untruth, imo.

I dont think Management knows what side of the fence to get off on, or, Brad and Danny dont agree on which side to get off the fence on.

If we were evaluating and expecting the timeline to have changed since Gordon left then we would:
1) not have signed Teague and Thompson
2) would not have traded a draft pick away because we :cannot have too many rookies on team"
3) would not have split the MLE and used half of it on the expiring Fournier
4) we would be playing the young guys as many minutes as possible.

if we were planning on going for it all this season then we have made some terrible moves to make that happen.

Team is in purgatory.
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,443

Post#102 » by SichtingLives » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:09 pm

Stevens is not a good offensive coach for the modern NBA, or the former modern NBA that he started out in. Not good for a league that heavily weighs towards offense for success. At a certain point you have to realize there is no combination of attainable players that is going to make his "system" elite. tbh he may have ultimately been a main restrictive factor on what Danny was trying to put together in this rebuild. DannyBrad and Wyc are all tied together. Wyc or Danny needs to sack up and pick a new direction. It was a nice try and no shame in how things worked out but this whole rebuild is cooked and wafting about with no direction and not enough assets to get there anyway.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#103 » by canman1971 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:09 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
canman1971 wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:

Great film.

Never seen it. :D

I READ Bright Lights Big City, which is said to be somewhat comparable, but most of what I liked about that was the interesting use of second-person singular. I stopped with the young coke brats after that.

It is worth taking a look at. Much darker than the other films of that era.
VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach
And1: 7,495

Post#104 » by VeryMuchWoke » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:18 pm

Don't fire Brad, but force him to hire an offensive guru. Tell Tatum and Jaylen they need a break after 2 consecutive shortened offseasons. Tank the rest of the season, come back with more talent and sufficient rest with a new offense.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
pac213up
General Manager
And1: 3,797

Post#105 » by pac213up » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:18 pm

JediMasterRevan wrote:
pac213up wrote:Brad is not the problem, also he is very likely aligned with Ainge in terms of what the priorities are this year. Fans may not like the biproduct of that but it is what it is. If Ainge and ownership was shooting for a title they would have put themselves in a different position at the beginning of the year with a roster complimented by veterans, not unproven rookies. The timeline changed when Gordon left. Now it is about evaluating & developing Tatum and Brown. These are the growing pains of having 2 extremely young players leading the way. Young players do not generally win NBA championships regardless of how talented they are or will become.

That is an untruth, imo.

I dont think Management knows what side of the fence to get off on, or, Brad and Danny dont agree on which side to get off the fence on.

If we were evaluating and expecting the timeline to have changed since Gordon left then we would:
2) would not have traded a draft pick away because we :cannot have too many rookies on team"

if we were planning on going for it all this season then we have made some terrible moves to make that happen.

Team is in purgatory.

They still want to compete and be relevant. That has been Danny & Brad's approach for a while now. They want players to develop in a winning culture.
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#106 » by jmr07019 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:21 pm

It's the second time in 3 years where the team is giving dog **** for effort game in game out. Is it Brad? Is it Brown/Smart/Tatum? idk but this sucks
Show Love Spread Love
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#107 » by JediMasterRevan » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:42 pm

pac213up wrote:
JediMasterRevan wrote:

That is an untruth, imo.

Team is in purgatory.

They still want to compete and be relevant. That has been Danny & Brad's approach for a while now. They want players to develop in a winning culture.

1) we are not winning
2) our youth is playing behind players with no future
3) our youth is getting fewer and fewer minutes.

that is not how to develop young players in a "winning culture"

Nesmith not getting any consistant burn
Pritchard's minutes are down over 5 in last 10 games on season average
Traded away a very good player at 30 to keep Edwards on team.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,735

Post#108 » by BK_2020 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:46 pm

What youth is getting frozen out other than Nesmith, and besides if Nesmith plays any more he will hurt himself.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,221

Post#109 » by djFan71 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:43 pm

jmr07019 wrote:It's the second time in 3 years where the team is giving dog **** for effort game in game out. Is it Brad? Is it Brown/Smart/Tatum? idk but this sucks

Seems to be a cycle. Get to ECF unexpectedly. Think you've accomplished something when you really haven't, then think you can coast a little next year. Get your *** handed to you in the playoffs. Play hard again the next year.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#110 » by cloverleaf » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:54 pm

Brad is a big chunk of the problem.

C's ownership ought to be doing everything they can to get KG into their ownership partnership and give him some sort of at least senior advisory role in operations: such that Perk is in to help coach Rob and the other young bigs. Rondo retires to become an assistant coach, and someone else from their posse comes in as the head coach. Danny perhaps needs to go too, but I am not sure who his replacement should be. I'm not ready to just bump it down to Zarren.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,128

Post#111 » by Hal14 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:56 pm

VeryMuchWoke wrote:Don't fire Brad, but force him to hire an offensive guru. Tell Tatum and Jaylen they need a break after 2 consecutive shortened offseasons. Tank the rest of the season, come back with more talent and sufficient rest with a new offense.

We've gone from a 5th ranked defense to 18th. I might hire a defensive guru too.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#112 » by GoGreen » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:40 pm

This roster is abysmal. I'd like to wait until Brad has a team that's not make of g leaguers.
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#113 » by Elrod is Back » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:03 pm

We need to hire Bobby Knight. Someone who will throw some metal folding chairs at these guys if they take bad shots or loaf on defense.
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#114 » by moonie_mcgee » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:19 pm

SichtingLives wrote:Stevens is not a good offensive coach for the modern NBA, or the former modern NBA that he started out in. Not good for a league that heavily weighs towards offense for success. At a certain point you have to realize there is no combination of attainable players that is going to make his "system" elite. tbh he may have ultimately been a main restrictive factor on what Danny was trying to put together in this rebuild. DannyBrad and Wyc are all tied together. Wyc or Danny needs to sack up and pick a new direction. It was a nice try and no shame in how things worked out but this whole rebuild is cooked and wafting about with no direction and not enough assets to get there anyway.

DannyBrad. That's a good one. But he's got the assets now for the big one. All hell will break loose but he has enough to have Tatum as that Pierce and get that top dog as KG.
That's the Way of the World
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#115 » by moonie_mcgee » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:22 pm

cloverleaf wrote:Brad is a big chunk of the problem.

C's ownership ought to be doing everything they can to get KG into their ownership partnership and give him some sort of at least senior advisory role in operations: such that Perk is in to help coach Rob and the other young bigs. Rondo retires to become an assistant coach, and someone else from their posse comes in as the head coach. Danny perhaps needs to go too, but I am not sure who his replacement should be. I'm not ready to just bump it down to Zarren.

Add Tacko to that development plan too as he's not being sufficiently developed IMO.
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#116 » by moonie_mcgee » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:26 pm

djFan71 wrote:
jmr07019 wrote:It's the second time in 3 years where the team is giving dog **** for effort game in game out. Is it Brad? Is it Brown/Smart/Tatum? idk but this sucks

Seems to be a cycle. Get to ECF unexpectedly. Think you've accomplished something when you really haven't, then think you can coast a little next year. Get your *** handed to you in the playoffs. Play hard again the next year.

I thought last season was a really big blown opportunity. And they've had others too where they didn't play to their capability in the playoffs.
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#117 » by moonie_mcgee » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:13 am

VeryMuchWoke wrote:Don't fire Brad, but force him to hire an offensive guru. Tell Tatum and Jaylen they need a break after 2 consecutive shortened offseasons. Tank the rest of the season, come back with more talent and sufficient rest with a new offense.

Stevens had 8 years. Let's give someone else a shot now. That 6 year contract of his is nuts in today's NBA. We shouldn't take any more steps with him at the helm. Enough already.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#118 » by playa-hater » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:33 am

I am already getting the Vibes that Stevens is going to start TT soon again. I don't care that RW 1 bad game vs Embiid. that would be so disheartening for RW, who was quoted as saying "the more he plays, the more comfortable he gets"

Except in self defense/fighting, I have never punched another human being in the face. I would make Stevens my first!!!
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
aussie_pride
Junior
And1: 190

Post#119 » by aussie_pride » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:29 am

moonie_mcgee wrote:

Stevens had 8 years. Let's give someone else a shot now. That 6 year contract of his is nuts in today's NBA. We shouldn't take any more steps with him at the helm. Enough already.

For me the problem is not the length of the contract as much it is the lack of power that he has. If you are going to give a guy a 6 year contract you may as well not have a General Manager. A 6 year contract implies that you are trusting him to implement a system, build a team, develop guys etc. If that is the case then you need to give him control of things such as draft picks, trades etc.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#120 » by Ernest » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:34 pm

playa-hater wrote:
Except in self defense/fighting, I have never punched another human being in the face.

Well who could argue with that logic? Or any of the other "logic" that fools are spitting out around here?

Return to Boston Celtics