Off-season deal: Jerami Grant to Memphis

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,560

Off-season deal: Jerami Grant to Memphis 

Post#1 » by Bentley1225 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:54 pm

Ill offer this idea for Grizzlies to make a move in off-season to progress towards becoming a greater playoff contender in West by using depth to upgrade starting 5

To Detroit
-Kyle Anderson (1 year, $9.9 million)
-De'Anthony Melton (3 years, $25 million)
-2022 Memphis 1st round pick (lottery protected; 2023 lottery protected; 2024 lottery protected or 2024 Golden State 2nd)

To Memphis
-Jerami Grant (2 years, $40 million)

Why?
-Pistons get a replacement SF/PF, a young shooter under long term deal and a 2022 1st

Hayes/Joseph?/2nd
Bey/Melton/Diallo
Anderson/Jackson/Sirvydis
1st/Doumbouya/2nd
Plumlee/Stewart/Okafor

-Grizzlies upgrade starting 5 by adding Grant as starting wing. Memphis will likely be getting the Jazz 2022 1st.

Morant/Jones/Bane
Brooks/Allen/Gonchar
Grant/Clarke/2nd
Jackson/FA?/Porter
Valinciunas/1st/Tillman
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 31,982

Re: Off-season deal: Jerami Grant to Memphis 

Post#2 » by jbk1234 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:59 pm

If the Piston were open to a trade like this, Grant would already be gone.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#3 » by E S V L » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:30 pm

No interest from Memphis. We are fine with Kyle/Clarke at PF. We can draft a Grant-like guy in 2021 or 2022 if we need.
FK NFL
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 3,972

Post#4 » by VCfor3 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 5:41 pm

Eh I'm probably good with this I think. He is only 27 and can be our starting SF. I wouldn't give up any more than this and honestly would try to find a way to replace Melton with something else, but if this was the final offer I'd definitely consider it. Anderson and Melton have been really really good this year, but another team may offer more for him with a Jrue type package or something.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#5 » by E S V L » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:07 pm

VCfor3 wrote:Eh I'm probably good with this I think. He is only 27 and can be our starting SF. I wouldn't give up any more than this and honestly would try to find a way to replace Melton with something else, but if this was the final offer I'd definitely consider it. Anderson and Melton have been really really good this year, but another team may offer more for him with a Jrue type package or something.

For the educational purpose,

1. What would Grant give us on the top of Anderson?

2. Does it justify a 2 1sts difference between them?
FK NFL
hcsilla
RealGM
And1: 1,078

Post#6 » by hcsilla » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:36 pm

Too light for Grant.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#7 » by Pharaoh » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:29 pm

If my Pistons were going to move Grant for this kind of package he would have been dealt already.

Seems he's a popular target on this board though the offers are all over the place...

If there was a bidding war I'd like to think Grant would return more than this.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#8 » by VCfor3 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:57 pm

E S V L wrote:
VCfor3 wrote:Eh I'm probably good with this I think. He is only 27 and can be our starting SF. I wouldn't give up any more than this and honestly would try to find a way to replace Melton with something else, but if this was the final offer I'd definitely consider it. Anderson and Melton have been really really good this year, but another team may offer more for him with a Jrue type package or something.

1. I think Grant can handle a larger offensive role than Anderson which we need right now. He has the potential to be a solid third option where as Anderson is more of a 5th option and secondary facilitator. Important for sure but we need a true third option on our team. Grant also will have better looks on our team than he is getting with Detroit with Ja creating and JJJ helping space out defenses. He also may be better at SF where as Anderson is best at PF where we have JJJ and Clarke as well.

2. That's the million dollar question. What is the upgrade of going from Anderson to Grant worth? I have no idea if this is the direction our FO would be wiling to go or not.
DetroitDon15
General Manager
And1: 476

Post#9 » by DetroitDon15 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:09 am

Pharaoh wrote:If my Pistons were going to move Grant for this kind of package he would have been dealt already.

Seems he's a popular target on this board though the offers are all over the place...

I pretty much agree here. I think a lot of people undervalue Grant. I don’t see him as a superstar but he is a good young player. The value I put Grant at is similar to that of Jrue Holliday. I’ve also seen his value all over the board in this forum but always undervalued in the end.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,546

Post#10 » by NYG » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:03 am

Pharaoh wrote:If my Pistons were going to move Grant for this kind of package he would have been dealt already.

Let me say this... if Detroit did move Grant, it would return more than this otherwise, Detroit would be content just keeping him.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#11 » by Pharaoh » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:47 am

NYG wrote:

Let me say this... if Detroit did move Grant, it would return more than this otherwise, Detroit would be content just keeping him.
Which is kind of the point tbh

Grant appears in a lot of trade threads but none of the offers are enough of a overpay that Detroit should move him.

He signed with us for a lot of reasons and not just basketball reasons! We're the only team in the league (AFAIK) that has a African American GM & Coach!

In order for us to part ways with him after 1 season it would take a overpay and this, along with so many other threads is not going to get it done

vege
RealGM
And1: 4,217

Post#12 » by vege » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:26 am

Grant has not been good after a great start. People are still over valuating him because of how well he played 2-3 months ago.

With that said, I don't like any of the pieces Detroit is getting back from this deal, so this would be an easy no for me, even if the value is not terrible.

I like Desmond Bane, Justinse Winslow and Brandon Clarke from Memphis tho, would Memphis trade those 3 guys for Grant?
E S V L
Analyst

Post#13 » by E S V L » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:05 pm

vege wrote:I like Desmond Bane, Justinse Winslow and Brandon Clarke from Memphis tho, would Memphis trade those 3 guys for Grant?

Not in my universe. But let’s wait for VCfor3’s opinion. He is one of the most respected Grizzlies fans.
FK NFL
E S V L
Analyst

Post#14 » by E S V L » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:12 pm

VCfor3 wrote:
E S V L wrote:

1. I think Grant can handle a larger offensive role than Anderson which we need right now. He has the potential to be a solid third option where as Anderson is more of a 5th option and secondary facilitator. Important for sure but we need a true third option on our team. Grant also will have better looks on our team than he is getting with Detroit with Ja creating and JJJ helping space out defenses. He also may be better at SF where as Anderson is best at PF where we have JJJ and Clarke as well.

2. That's the million dollar question. What is the upgrade of going from Anderson to Grant worth? I have no idea if this is the direction our FO would be wiling to go or not.

1. Thanks. We can agree that he certainly is upgrade over Kyle, but not a third star. He maybe a better trading asset though.

2. Melton’s development is an impressive one and his ceiling still is far ahead. He can easily turn into into Smart 2.0 surprisingly soon. I like Grant, but as you said, there is some heavy stuff to think about.
FK NFL
vege
RealGM

Post#15 » by vege » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:09 pm

E S V L wrote:
vege wrote:I like Desmond Bane, Justinse Winslow and Brandon Clarke from Memphis tho, would Memphis trade those 3 guys for Grant?

Not in my universe. But let’s wait for VCfor3’s opinion. He is one of the most respected Grizzlies fans.

Why? I would love to see your opinion on this.

Clarke is nice but have regressed and probably doesn't have a place once the entire team is healthy, especially with Grant coming in.

Winslow has been injured for almost 2 seasons, I don't think he has value for you guys.

Bane is a great shooter, and might develop into something, but you guys need to give up value if you want to add Grant right?

I don't think this was too much to ask for Grant, even if he is not the super star he was a couple of months ago, he is a good 2 way player on a good contract and is young enough to fit Memphis core.

For me I like the potential of all 3 pieces I asked, and I think they would be a good fit with Bey/Lee/Stewart, I don't see anyone else in our roster being relevant.

And like I said, Winslow and Clark should be available/not have a lot of value to Memphis, so the only piece Memphis would be giving up is Bane imo.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#16 » by E S V L » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:29 pm

vege wrote:
E S V L wrote:

Clarke is nice but have regressed and probably doesn't have a place once the entire team is healthy, especially with Grant coming in.

Winslow has been injured for almost 2 seasons, I don't think he has value for you guys.

Bane is a great shooter, and might develop into something, but you guys need to give up value if you want to add Grant right?

I don't think this was too much to ask for Grant, even if he is not the super star he was a couple of months ago, he is a good 2 way player on a good contract and is young enough to fit Memphis core.

For me I like the potential of all 3 pieces I asked, and I think they would be a good fit with Bey/Lee/Stewart, I don't see anyone else in our roster being relevant.

And like I said, Winslow and Clark should be available/not have a lot of value to Memphis, so the only piece Memphis would be giving up is Bane imo.

OK. My calculation is as follows:

Grant is a A- level player who has reached his ceiling.
Clarke is a B+ level player with a 50% chance to become A-.
Bane is a B level player with 70% chance to become B+.
Winslow is C with a 50% chance to recover and get back to B, 20% - B+ or even A-.

You can do math then. I believe Detroit should expect this kind of return. The problem is on the Memphis side: what direction they want to take. They might easily see that Anderson/Clarke/Winslow is a better overall bundle than Grant in terms of net contribution at 3/4. Not to mention Bane.
FK NFL
vege
RealGM

Post#17 » by vege » Thu Apr 8, 2021 11:58 pm

E S V L wrote:
vege wrote:
E S V L wrote:

Winslow is C with a 50% chance to recover and get back to B, 20% - B+ or even A-.

You can do math then. I believe Detroit should expect this kind of return. The problem is on the Memphis side: what direction they want to take. They might easily see that Anderson/Clarke/Winslow is a better overall bundle than Grant in terms of net contribution at 3/4. Not to mention Bane.

Fair enough, we value things different.

I think Bane is the best prospect compared to Clarke (and he would be the most valuable piece Memphis would be giving up imo). I don't think Clarke has a chance of being as good as Grant.

We both have a similar opinion on Winslow, I think he is a possible buy low candidate, and I liked him in Miami before he started getting injured and then he got traded, and I would hope he goes back being that player (what you called a B)
VCfor3
Forum Mod - Grizzlies
Forum Mod - Grizzlies

Post#18 » by VCfor3 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:02 am

E S V L wrote:
vege wrote:
E S V L wrote:

I agree with ESVL in that I don't see Memphis moving Winslow, Clarke, and Bane for Grant. I'm not trying to argue the value because I think it is a fair ask, but reports say that the Memphis FO has no interest in moving Clarke unless it is for a true star to add to the core. I'm not sure the FO would see Grant as the true star they are targeting even though he definitely helps our team. Clarke and JJJ pair well together. Clarke definitely slumped/regressed/didn't take the leap forward you'd hope this season, but he has played well overall in the more recents games. He also is playing with JV who limits Clarke a bit. Clarke was a stud for us as a roller/cutter who moved around in the paint while JJJ spaced the floor. JV lives in the paint so it clogs it up a bit for Clarke and honestly pushes Clarke to the perimeter where he isn't quite as good (funky funky 3pt shot). The hope is that JJJ coming back will help Clarke as well. It will be a small sample size, but JJJ should be back this month so hopefully we will have Clarke and JJJ get a lot of run the rest of the season to see where the ceiling of that pairing could potentially be. That way the FO can better decide decisions like this. The FO still strongly supports Winslow publicly but take that as you want. It would be weird for them to say anything different. Bane is someone the FO and team really like but there is a point where there are only so many minutes available at SG (or third guard in smaller lineups). Melton, Allen, Brooks, and Bane is a lot of mouths to feed. Bane is probably the best pure shooter of that group though and Coach Jenkins loves him some shooting.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#19 » by E S V L » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:30 am

vege wrote:
E S V L wrote:
vege wrote:

Fair enough, we value things different.

I think Bane is the best prospect compared to Clarke (and he would be the most valuable piece Memphis would be giving up imo). I don't think Clarke has a chance of being as good as Grant.

We both have a similar opinion on Winslow, I think he is a possible buy low candidate, and I liked him in Miami before he started getting injured and then he got traded, and I would hope he goes back being that player (what you called a B)

Clarke is special. Him and Grant have different skillsets, but Clarke is smart, knows his role, and his best moves. He is extremely effective and team-oriented. Oh, almost forgot - he can jump quicker and higher than any big in the entire league. Same as Steph shoots 3.

No disrespect to Grant, but Clarke is a very valuable player.
FK NFL
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 2,981

Post#20 » by daoneandonly » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:18 pm

I do think grant's worth has been overinflated by putting up stats on a bad team, but this is still too light for him.

Return to Trades and Transactions