Luka = Mbappe, Zion = Haaland

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Re: Luka = Mbappe, Zion = Haaland 

Post#21 » by BadWolf » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:55 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
aguiar95 wrote:
2-time MVP, won everything he played and had a lot of skills that made you go WOW.

Yeah, I was just joking. Luka can be flashy, but he is not Ronaldinho. If Jason white Chocolate Williams was best basketball player in the world, thats who basketball Ronaldinho would be.

So, Magic?
Luka is Messi if anything
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#22 » by DCasey91 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:25 pm

Comps

Luka = Zidane

Zion = Haaland one makes sense

Mbappe is ridiculously accomplished and ridiculously fast for his age (probably the best right now in worldwide sports lol).
Sofia
GOTB: Mean Girls
And1: 30,892

Post#23 » by Sofia » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:28 pm

What is this, an IKEA shopping list?
Founder - Wembanyama GOAT club - waitlist registrations being accepted

President of the Pharmcat Fanclub
President of the GreatWhiteStiff Fanclub
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#24 » by clyde21 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:30 pm

DCasey91 wrote:Comps

Luka = Zidane

Mbappe is ridiculously accomplished and ridiculously fast for his age (probably the best right now in worldwide sports lol).

Zion/Haaland doesn't make a lot of sense

Zion needs to be compared to an absolute freak athlete that was young, Ronaldo again when he was younger probably coming on, or peak Gareth Bale, maybe Brazilian Ronaldo actually
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,451

Post#25 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:31 pm

clyde21 wrote:people who don't know who Mbappe and Haaland are need to expand their horizons outside murca

The issue is that for many of us, European Football games are either played super early (5am PST) or at Noon during workdays (CL) in a lot of cases. For that reason alone, I don't blame people for not knowing/understanding who these guys are. Further, the U.S. media hardly covers the EPL, La Liga, etc. The only real coverage the sport of Soccer gets in this country, is the World Cup every four years.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
peZt
Sixth Man
And1: 1,642

Post#26 » by peZt » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:32 pm

Metallikid wrote:Zion is not that good. He can put up stats and the refs will give him free throws, but I don't think he's going to be a winning player.

Zion is better than Haaland
Batu7
Starter
And1: 248

Post#27 » by Batu7 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:43 pm

clyde21 wrote:

Luka = Zidane

Zion needs to be compared to an absolute freak athlete that was young, Ronaldo again when he was younger probably coming on, or peak Gareth Bale, maybe Brazilian Ronaldo actually

Haaland is strong, agile and fast though? Especially considering his size.

I do get the theme of these comparisons. Haaland is more to the point thanks to his instincts and physical traits similar to Zion (Both score a lot near the basket / goal and don't attempt many fancy dribbles or similar stuff) whereas Luka and Mbappe have more flair. Mbappe is physically much more gifted than Luka though.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

- Vince Lombardi
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,785

Post#28 » by UcanUwill » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:43 pm

clyde21 wrote:

Luka = Zidane

You think Haaland is not a freak athlete? He is biggest and strongest guy on a pitch at most times and is overly fast for his stature.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#29 » by clyde21 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:16 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Luka = Zidane

You think Haaland is not a freak athlete? He is biggest and strongest guy on a pitch at most times and is overly fast for his stature.

he's a great athlete but not freaky, I think a guy like Ibrahomovic who was same size was freakier for example
clyde21
RealGM

Post#30 » by clyde21 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:25 pm

Mario Balotelli too if you just want to compare athleticism
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,312

Post#31 » by DCasey91 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:38 pm

clyde21 wrote:

Luka = Zidane

Good comps but in terms of young players Haaland has a big edge psychically no question.

Skill wise Doncic is a mix of the great skillful players but isn’t as fast/agile hence I like the Zidane comparsion. Strong tanky, all time skill etc.

But yeah hard to compare soccer players vs basketball players
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,360

Post#32 » by tdotrep2 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:43 pm

clyde21 wrote:i would say Ronaldo/Messi were better comps as a younger duo coming up

lol ronaldo messi had goat potential from the jump, you watched them and said what the hell is that. They were a level up on any of these guys mentioned
Vladimir777
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,121

Post#33 » by Vladimir777 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:53 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Metallikid wrote:Zion is not that good.

Damn it, I watched that on repeat for like thirty seconds.
pesfan321
Sophomore
And1: 100

Post#34 » by pesfan321 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 11:59 pm

msmoore66 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Mbappe is super fast and athletic, Luka is not.

This. I like the Zion = Haaland comp, but not sure about Luka = Mbappe. Struggling to think of a good comp though right now, probably some AM/CM technical master.

Kevin De Bruyne.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,434

Post#35 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:01 am

Luka's and Mbappe's games are nothing alike.
pesfan321
Sophomore
And1: 100

Post#36 » by pesfan321 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:04 am

Ja Morant or De'Aaron Fox is more Mbappe than Luka.
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#37 » by HeartBreakKid » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:14 am

Raps in 4 wrote:Luka's and Mbappe's games are nothing alike.

well, one is a basketball player and the other a football player - so very astute observation.

I get it, Mbappe is athletic and Luka is not - but come on guys. Y'all actually trying to find comparisons beyond "they're young and amazing at their sport" is a little silly.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#38 » by clyde21 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:16 am

pesfan321 wrote:
msmoore66 wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:Mbappe is super fast and athletic, Luka is not.

This. I like the Zion = Haaland comp, but not sure about Luka = Mbappe. Struggling to think of a good comp though right now, probably some AM/CM technical master.

Kevin De Bruyne.

that's perfect actually for Luka
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,434

Post#39 » by Raps in 4 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:44 am

HeartBreakKid wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:Luka's and Mbappe's games are nothing alike.

well, one is a basketball player and the other a football player - so very astute observation.

I get it, Mbappe is athletic and Luka is not - but come on guys. Y'all actually trying to find comparisons beyond "they're young and amazing at their sport" is a little silly.

You can compare style across sports, and Luka and Mbappe have nothing in common. A better NBA comp for Mbappe would be Giannis.
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#40 » by Galloisdaman » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:48 am

Metallikid wrote:Zion is not that good. He can put up stats and the refs will give him free throws, but I don't think he's going to be a winning player.

He is already pretty dominant offensively. Its a team game. If he is on a better team he will be a winning player. He hasn't even played 70 games yet and look at what he is doing.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D

Return to The General Board