David Griffin Needs To Be Fired

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,322

David Griffin Needs To Be Fired 

Post#1 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:33 am

These are the major moves he has made since being hired to run the Pelicans.

Traded the #4 overall pick (ended up being Deandre Hunter) for the 8th and 17th pick (Jaxson Hayes and NAW).
Hired SVG
Drafted Kira Lewis with the 13th pick
Traded Jrue for 3 1st round picks (2023, 2025, 2027) and two pick swaps (2024 and 2026) from the Bucks and Eric Bledsoe and his contract
Traded the 2023 1st round pick from the Jrue trade to OKC for Steven Adams, then gave Steven Adams an extension right away

A few major head-scratchers coming into this season. Loading up on bigs that cant shoot and cant protect the rim. Brandon Ingram being the only wing on the team with any kind of length. Then you got the whole Lonzo thing where early in the season it became public they were looking to trade him and arent interested in paying him in the summer. Then at the trade deadline Woj said both sides agreed it would be best if Lonzo would be playing somewhere else. Yet they dont trade him and now lets see what they do with him this summer.

Then you got the nonsense from SVG. Not even attempting Bledsoe to be a 6th man. Its like that thought hasnt ever crossed his mind once, even though Bledsoe has been horrible and is an awful fit with that starting lineup. Then the defense, I mean the worst team defending the 3 and the worst team defending 6 feet and in. Cant ask for a worse defense than that in today's game.

The Pels are a freaking mess right now. Youd think with Ingram being the only young guy off his rookie deal they would at least be in solid cap room, nope. Its actually quite amazing how bad of a job Griffin has done since taking over. Him and SVG need to go now, this team is a dumpster fire now.

Griffin took one of the easiest jobs in the NBA (all the assets that were just handed to him) and he has completely messed it up in just a year and a half.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,473

Re: David Griffin Needs To Be Fired 

Post#2 » by dc » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:42 am

I think the Jrue trade was very good. That's a lot of draft capital they got for a 30 yo PG. They also did well to hold out on the AD trade to squeeze out as much as they could from the Lakers.

But otherwise, agreed. They should be further along than they are now.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,297

Post#3 » by Leslie Forman » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:45 am

What, the guy who wanted Anthony Bennett isn't any good at his job? Shocking.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,132

Post#4 » by lambchop » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:46 am

Needs LBJ to run the show again
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
Ckay
Head Coach
And1: 8,299

Post#5 » by Ckay » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:50 am

Read on Twitter
lebron stopper
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 24,049

Post#6 » by lebron stopper » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:51 am

The Steven Adams trade made zero sense whatsoever. He moves and plays like a statue now - it seems like he has gotten worse every year since 2016. He can't pass (let alone even run an offense), he can't post up without coughing up the ball, he can't shoot if his life depended on it, and he's too immobile to even try to defend the perimeter. He was completely useless against the Rockets in the 2020 playoffs because of his lack of skill and mobility. David Griffin gave up a first round pick he got from the Nuggets previously, so he could acquire Adams and overpay him with an extension.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#7 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:52 am

dc wrote:I think the Jrue trade was the only good thing. They also did well to hold out on the AD trade to squeeze out as much as they could from the Lakers.

But otherwise, agreed. They should be further along than they are now.

That trade is still way up in the air. It becomes a good trade if Giannis ends up getting hurt or demands out, if Giannis is there and healthy, those picks mean pretty much nothing. Plus how valuable are picks from the Bucks 4 and 6 years away right now? Does that really help them build a team around Zion?

Plus holding out on the AD trade wasnt Griffin. He came in mid April and about a month and a half later they did the AD trade. The AD trade was pretty much already laid out by the time he had gotten there.

My biggest thing is, he was handed Zion, he was handed the AD trade which led to him getting Ingram who then became an all star that first year. But those were the things that were handed to him. I mean he even made the AD trade worse by trading away the #4 pick. They would get laughed at right now if they tried to offer Hayes and NAW for Hunter. Hell they took Hayes 8th and NAW 17th, Brandon Clarke was taken 21st. Im sure they would get laughed at if they tried to offer NAW and Hayes for Brandon Clarke.

He was handed a great rebuild situation and its not just them not being further along, its that they're heading in the wrong direction. They drafted bad players, they took on vets that dont fit and have bad contracts, they got a coach that clearly isnt meshing well with the players. The whole thing is a mess.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#8 » by Warriors Analyst » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:55 am

Leslie Forman wrote:What, the guy who wanted Anthony Bennett isn't any good at his job? Shocking.

That was Chris Grant.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,559

Post#9 » by DarkXaero » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:01 am

Is trading Deandre Hunter for NAW and Hayes really that bad of a move? Both look to have a good future as far as I can tell. NAW had been on fire recently before getting hurt and Hayes is legit big man talent. I agree that the trade for Adams (and the extension) was a major headscratcher. The value he got for Jrue was as good as it gets.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,632

Post#10 » by Pointgod » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:09 am

You mean to tell me that future draft picks and cash considerations don’t actually contribute to winning games? Shocker
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#11 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:13 am

DarkXaero wrote:Is trading Deandre Hunter for NAW and Hayes really that bad of a move? Both look to have a good future as far as I can tell. NAW had been on fire recently before getting hurt and Hayes is legit big man talent. I agree that the trade for Adams (and the extension) was a major headscratcher. The value he got for Jrue was as good as it gets.

Hunter is a far superior player than either NAW or Hayes.

Hayes is not a good NBA player. The dude looks like a chicken with his head cutoff the majority of time he is out there. Ya NAW has played better in his last 14 games, but that is still 14/4/2 on 53 TS%. Plus he isnt a great fit with either Lonzo or Ingram because NAW likes to dribble and run the PnR. It wasnt a good trade. Again I think if they were to try and trade Hayes and NAW for Hunter, they'd get laughed at. That to me shows they didnt do good in that trade.

And again when it comes to the Jrue trade.

Bledsoe
2024 pick swap
2025 1st
2026 pick swap
2027 1st
2023 1st which they flipped for Adams

Bledsoe is a negative value, Adams and his contract is a negative as well. Now again how valuable are those picks right now? Is a 1st round pick from the Bucks 4 years from now going to get them a good return in a trade? Im not sure how many teams are really hoping to grab a 2026 1st round pick swap from the Bucks. I get what Griffin was doing, he was taking the gamble that Giannis wouldnt resign and if he didnt that trade looks amazing. But right now they pretty much have to hope Giannis gets hurt or demands out for those picks to look appealing.
@ndrew
Analyst
And1: 197

Post#12 » by @ndrew » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:14 am

I don't see any problem with that team for now. You should start with consistency from Ingram, which he lacks.
It's a Western Conference. It's really hard to say who's really 1st or 6th unless you are just a casual, who thinks that Lakers is the only team in basketball.
Griffin may made a bad move with Adams (nothing critical), but the rest. It's fine. They are not hopeless Wolves.
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,902

Post#13 » by stillgotgame » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:17 am

Why did he hire SVG? They fired an NBA lifer offensive minded coach (Gentry) for a defensive minded coach. But both stink.
What is in the job interview that these NBA lifer coaches keep getting rehired?
Read on Twitter
?s=20
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,009

Post#14 » by mg » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:25 am

Griffin isn't a good GM.

I don't even understand why some feel the need to defend him but I guess that's what we do on this forum.
Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,639

Post#15 » by Kurtz » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:27 am

stillgotgame wrote:Why did he hire SVG? They fired an NBA lifer offensive minded coach (Gentry) for a defensive minded coach. But both stink.

Well, Stan got a team with a big 3 of Dwight, Hedo Turkoglu and Jameer Nelson to the finals that one year, but yeah outside of that he's been pretty mediocre.
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,297

Post#16 » by Leslie Forman » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:28 am

Warriors Analyst wrote:
Leslie Forman wrote:What, the guy who wanted Anthony Bennett isn't any good at his job? Shocking.

That was Chris Grant.

Nope.

So when the Cavs front office sat down before the draft to cast their vote on who to take, the final tally was 9-1 in favor of Bennett. The one vote against taking him? Chris Grant.

You can blame Grant for not putting his foot down and overruling, but that's it.
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,677

Post#17 » by Dupp » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:31 am

That wasn’t him...
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,970

Post#18 » by Nyce_1 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:56 am

Kurtz wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:Why did he hire SVG? They fired an NBA lifer offensive minded coach (Gentry) for a defensive minded coach. But both stink.

Well, Stan got a team with a big 3 of Dwight, Hedo Turkoglu and Jameer Nelson to the finals that one year, but yeah outside of that he's been pretty mediocre.
Put some respek on Rashard Lewis' name and his time in Orlando.
DTP
General Manager
And1: 6,765

Post#19 » by DTP » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:57 am

I'm super glad none of you are actually NBA owners...there's like no patience at all. Yes, New Orleans has underachieved this season but the squad is still very, very young and has plenty of time to grow together. Small market teams have to operate differently....its not like they can just go out and outspend everyone or stars are lining up to force trades to New Orleans.....ya gotta be patient. A couple of years ago Denver didn't have the best balanced roster but over time they've done a great job of building, NO can do the same thing.

I personally would've held on to Jrue but I understand them feeling like he didnt fit their timeline. If they wanted to really compete this season, they wouldn't have traded Jrue. I do agree the Adams deal was a big risk but putting a "defensive center" next to Zion was a priority, so I can at least understand why they thought it could work. I also don't understand the Lonzo thing...he seems like a perfect #3 guy for them to me.
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#20 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:01 am

I think they should rehire Dell Demps.

Return to The General Board