ImageImageImageImage

2020-2021 Regular Season Game 51: Washington Wizards (17-32) at Orlando Magic (17-33)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 51: Washington Wizards (17-32) at Orlando Magic (17-33) 

Post#281 » by basketballRob » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:45 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Knightro wrote:
Ducklett wrote:If Bamba is a poor rebounder that would make WCJ what?

Plenty of things to justifiably criticize Bamba over, but rebounding isn’t one of them.

His career REB% is 17.7% and he’s been over 18% each of the last two years.

WCJ’s a *slightly* better offensive rebounder because he is typically closer to the basket than Bamba is, but Mo’s rebounding overall is one of the few things he does really well.

Bamba isn’t a good rebounder @17% centers should be around 20%. It takes energy, Effort, desire and physicality all thing he can control and improve but all things Mo lacked coming out of college. I still think he’s bad. Gets moved around a lot and takes himself out of position when chasing blocks.
It was better than Vuc when he was here.

I bet Cliff separates Cole from Bamba in the next game. Whenever Bamba has got into a rythm with a PG, he'll move them into the SL.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Re: 2020-2021 Regular Season Game 51: Washington Wizards (17-32) at Orlando Magic (17-33) 

Post#282 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu Apr 8, 2021 11:14 am

ogmagicfan wrote:
fendilim wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:Russ having a good possible mentoring chit chat with Cole after the game. Kinda good to see respect for the young guys. Happy to see cole back.... Healthy and all.

Hampton looking better and better. Good game by him.

Yeah. I was surprised they were even joking to each other after Cole attempted to block Westbrook’s layup at the end of 3rd. Didnt know they know each other

Cole being a highly regarded high school prospect probably has something to do with that. Just a guess.

It may be more about Cole being locker rooms since he was born, with his Father as a player and commentator.
I can see Westbrook being a player Cole would mold his game after. He's been a top player since Cole was 10.
He was in chucker mode for a bit last night, I'm going to chalk that up to eagerness of 1st game back.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Post#283 » by drsd » Thu Apr 8, 2021 11:21 am

KillMonger wrote:i'm still laughing because bacon has pretty much become a meme

Bacon wasn't cooking.

(for example)
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,151

Post#284 » by Knightro » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:27 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Knightro wrote:
Ducklett wrote:If Bamba is a poor rebounder that would make WCJ what?

Plenty of things to justifiably criticize Bamba over, but rebounding isn’t one of them.

WCJ’s a *slightly* better offensive rebounder because he is typically closer to the basket than Bamba is, but Mo’s rebounding overall is one of the few things he does really well.

Bamba isn’t a good rebounder @17% centers should be around 20%. It takes energy, Effort, desire and physicality all thing he can control and improve but all things Mo lacked coming out of college. I still think he’s bad. Gets moved around a lot and takes himself out of position when chasing blocks.

If Bamba had enough minutes played to qualify, he would rank 9th in the NBA in REB% at 18.6%. He’d be ahead of DeAndre, Vucevic, Adams, Jokic, WCJ, Towns and several other good bigs.

This feels like a case of the eye test not matching the numbers.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#285 » by basketballRob » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:28 pm

Knightro wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Knightro wrote:

If Bamba had enough minutes played to qualify, he would rank 9th in the NBA in REB% at 18.6%. He’d be ahead of DeAndre, Vucevic, Adams, Jokic, WCJ, Towns and several other good bigs.

Eventually when he's around 26, he'll likely be playing for another team and putting up some crazy numbers. Remember Ben Wallace?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/wallabe01.html

Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,510

Post#286 » by Bergmaniac » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:54 pm

Typical Wizards game where nobody plays defense. But we got the L and that's what matters for the tank.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#287 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:11 pm

ogmagicfan wrote:
fendilim wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:Russ having a good possible mentoring chit chat with Cole after the game. Kinda good to see respect for the young guys. Happy to see cole back.... Healthy and all.

Hampton looking better and better. Good game by him.

Yeah. I was surprised they were even joking to each other after Cole attempted to block Westbrook’s layup at the end of 3rd. Didnt know they know each other

Cole being a highly regarded high school prospect probably has something to do with that. Just a guess.

In his post game interview they asked him about it... and yeah... he's known him for a while now as well.... and cole said in the off season he will ask to work out with him and make it a habit to working doing so with the greats of the game...in order to expand his game.
MaKiaVeLi7
Senior
And1: 417

Post#289 » by MaKiaVeLi7 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:35 pm

Knightro wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Knightro wrote:

It would have been true if not for the exception that DeAndre, Vucevic, Adams, Jokic, WCJ, Towns etc., don't log 80% of their minutes against G-League talent in blowout garbage time, which was the case before Vuc's trade. Bamba is getting punished every single night if he's matched up with the opposing starting center, even for a minute or two on the floor.

If those players play in the garbage time and against sub-par competition their numbers would be out of this world. :crazy:

Bamba is not a good rebounder as I see him getting boxed out by 6-foot guards every single game, and he's not a reliable defender. If he tries to defend harder, either goes for the blocks and is out of position, or just fouls out in 10 minutes. Pick your poison.
When we ride on our bball enemieZ!
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,788

Post#290 » by RookieStar » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:53 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
ogmagicfan wrote:
fendilim wrote:Yeah. I was surprised they were even joking to each other after Cole attempted to block Westbrook’s layup at the end of 3rd. Didnt know they know each other

In his post game interview they asked him about it... and yeah... he's known him for a while now as well.... and cole said in the off season he will ask to work out with him and make it a habit to working doing so with the greats of the game...in order to expand his game.

I hope with working out with RUs, he will have the same improvement as Vic did when he played with Rus
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,026

Post#291 » by The Real Dalic » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:25 am

I know I'm super late to this thread, but that was a great game to watch since we played the young guys, kept it close throughout, and lost to some rivals in terms of lotto odds.

Bamba had a great game as well. Though I still think his Miami game earlier in the season was the best of his career still. He just had far fewer minutes in that one since Vuc was still here.

Loving what I'm seeing from that C rotation. WCJ and Bamba could potentially be a scary rotation for years to come if they can fulfill their potential.

Was also great to see Cole again. He just knows how to score and is an underrated passer. I hope he can become a better floor general and playmaker in general in the future though. But I've always been a fan of his and continue to be.

RJ has also been suprisingly impressive to me. Did not think he had that elite speed or as great a motor as he does. Really happy we were able to get him for AG.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,232

Post#292 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Apr 9, 2021 11:30 am

basketballRob wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
Knightro wrote:

It was better than Vuc when he was here.

I bet Cliff separates Cole from Bamba in the next game. Whenever Bamba has got into a rythm with a PG, he'll move them into the SL.

Because he didn’t play consistent minutes. As expected it’s dipped. IDK what you’re implying but as usual trying to spin some bull to imply that Mo is the better player, never has been and never will be, he’ll certainly never be the rebounder Vooch is. We had one of the best rebounding bigs in the game and it’s evident by the teams recent struggles in that area.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,232

Post#293 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Apr 9, 2021 11:33 am

MaKiaVeLi7 wrote:
Knightro wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Bamba isn’t a good rebounder @17% centers should be around 20%. It takes energy, Effort, desire and physicality all thing he can control and improve but all things Mo lacked coming out of college. I still think he’s bad. Gets moved around a lot and takes himself out of position when chasing blocks.

It would have been true if not for the exception that DeAndre, Vucevic, Adams, Jokic, WCJ, Towns etc., don't log 80% of their minutes against G-League talent in blowout garbage time, which was the case before Vuc's trade. Bamba is getting punished every single night if he's matched up with the opposing starting center, even for a minute or two on the floor.

If those players play in the garbage time and against sub-par competition their numbers would be out of this world. :crazy:

Bamba is not a good rebounder as I see him getting boxed out by 6-foot guards every single game, and he's not a reliable defender. If he tries to defend harder, either goes for the blocks and is out of position, or just fouls out in 10 minutes. Pick your poison.

Just look at how Kanter MANHANDLED him... :lol: Hea just not a physical player. In certain match ups he’ll look good simply due to his length but when he’s matched up again good players he’ll get moved around. I mean it’s probably fine but he isn’t a good rebounder especially against talent. Anyway this was the best game of his career. He can have it.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#294 » by basketballRob » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:06 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
MaKiaVeLi7 wrote:
Knightro wrote:

Just look at how Kanter MANHANDLED him... Hea just not a physical player. In certain match ups he’ll look good simply due to his length but when he’s matched up again good players he’ll get moved around. I mean it’s probably fine but he isn’t a good rebounder especially against talent. Anyway this was the best game of his career. He can have it.
Kanter manhandles everyone this year, have you watched other Portland games? He set a team record for the amount of offensive rebounds in a stretch of games.

Yes Bamba needs to get stronger and work on his positioning, but Kanter has been doing that to everyone. He's averaging around 12 rebounds in 27 mpg. He's probably the best in the league this year. His rebound percentage has been over 23% the last 2 years, it's like something clicked for him. In contrast a player like Vucevic's rebound percentage for his career is 18.6%.

Every player has someone that's a hard matchup for them. If you watched the Bulls game last night, Boucher looked like an MVP going against Vuc. He was just so much quicker getting to rebounds.

Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Post#295 » by Xatticus » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:59 pm

Last Guardian wrote:
3ddman23 wrote:
thelead wrote:all the negative but nothing about his 17pts on 7-10 shooting (3-3 from 3) with 6rbs, 1ast, 1 stl, 1blk, 1to, 0 fouls in 17 minutes though...

The kid is rough around the edges but super talented... yes... talented. Not just tall

Offensively. Let's stop saying talented. Lets say maybe offensive talent. But the man atrocious on the other end. The thing is he wasn't drafted to be an offensive player. He was drafted for what he coukd possible do defensively. Have you not seen how easy Robin Lopez has been able to score on him?

His post defense isn't great but whats wrong with his team defense? Absolutely nothing. Guards are scared to go to the paint against him.

He needs to get a little bigger and he'd probably be a very good post defender if he could hold his ground.

The issue is his center of gravity. It's really high, so he is like a transformer out there. He is in perimeter mode or post mode and it takes him time to switch between them. He brings his arms down and in towards his body when someone leans on him or often when he is setting screens, but this severely inhibits his movement and so guys like Harrell can go around him with ease when he tries to body them up. If he doesn't lower his center of gravity with his arms, he gets moved about fairly easily by guys that just get under him. He actually does alright in space otherwise though. He is agile enough to be a really good defender. He just has to address the center of gravity issue and that will take time.

The way some guys go straight at him makes him look as though he is worse than he is though. He really does get his hands on a lot of shots and it's rather obvious that a lot of guys think twice about driving into the lane when he is creeping towards the basket as a help defender.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Skybox
RealGM
And1: 5,588

Post#296 » by Skybox » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:25 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
MaKiaVeLi7 wrote:It would have been true if not for the exception that DeAndre, Vucevic, Adams, Jokic, WCJ, Towns etc., don't log 80% of their minutes against G-League talent in blowout garbage time, which was the case before Vuc's trade. Bamba is getting punished every single night if he's matched up with the opposing starting center, even for a minute or two on the floor.

Just look at how Kanter MANHANDLED him... Hea just not a physical player. In certain match ups he’ll look good simply due to his length but when he’s matched up again good players he’ll get moved around. I mean it’s probably fine but he isn’t a good rebounder especially against talent. Anyway this was the best game of his career. He can have it.
Kanter manhandles everyone this year, have you watched other Portland games? He set a team record for the amount of offensive rebounds in a stretch of games.

Yes Bamba needs to get stronger and work on his positioning, but Kanter has been doing that to everyone. He's averaging around 12 rebounds in 27 mpg. He's probably the best in the league this year. His rebound percentage has been over 23% the last 2 years, it's like something clicked for him. In contrast a player like Vucevic's rebound percentage for his career is 18.6%.

Every player has someone that's a hard matchup for them. If you watched the Bulls game last night, Boucher looked like an MVP going against Vuc. He was just so much quicker getting to rebounds.

Let it go. You’re obsession with demeaning Vuc is embarrassing. One can make a reasonable argument that keeping Vuc was hindering development or delaying the inevitable tear down but NOBODY with any basketball knowledge can compare Bamba to Vuc :banghead: ...that would be like suggesting that a journeyman like Enes Kanter is... (oh wait, nvm)
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#297 » by basketballRob » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:49 pm

Skybox wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Just look at how Kanter MANHANDLED him... Hea just not a physical player. In certain match ups he’ll look good simply due to his length but when he’s matched up again good players he’ll get moved around. I mean it’s probably fine but he isn’t a good rebounder especially against talent. Anyway this was the best game of his career. He can have it.

Let it go. You’re obsession with demeaning Vuc is embarrassing. One can make a reasonable argument that keeping Vuc was hindering development or delaying the inevitable tear down but NOBODY with any basketball knowledge can compare Bamba to Vuc :banghead: ...that would be like suggesting that a journeyman like Enes Kanter is... (oh wait, nvm)
I'm just pointing out that 2 or 3 people here hold Bamba to a different standard than players they like.

GelbeWand09
Rookie
And1: 1,403

Post#298 » by GelbeWand09 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:51 pm

Skybox wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Just look at how Kanter MANHANDLED him... Hea just not a physical player. In certain match ups he’ll look good simply due to his length but when he’s matched up again good players he’ll get moved around. I mean it’s probably fine but he isn’t a good rebounder especially against talent. Anyway this was the best game of his career. He can have it.

Not sure that your reply is justified. He wasnt the one bringing up Kanter. The argument for trashing Bamba was ''look how he was MANHANDLED by Kanter'' Its just a super weak argument. Kanter is MANHANDLING everyone in the post since forever, no matter if Embiid or Jokic. :dontknow:
Kanter is only a jouneyman because he is the C equivalent of Trae Young on defense.

Every numbers he posted are correct too. He didnt compared Bamba & Vuc too, except the rebounding which was brought up by other posters 1st too. Unlike some of his Bamba posts, this one is pretty objective. Your post probably got more to do with a protection reflex for Vuc than anything else. Maybe try to read it again without.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,333

Post#299 » by PrimeThyme » Fri Apr 9, 2021 3:24 pm

I would love to see Bamba string some consistent games together here. The playing time will be there for him. I thought he played well on both ends the other night. These last 20 games are important for him as anybody else on the team.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#300 » by JBSouthpaw » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:11 pm

IMO, since the trade deadline it has started Mo's and Carter's "Contract season".
These guys can't wait until next year to start showing they have game.
Good news: both are doing so, so far.
Mo needs to make it through these last 20 games averaging 20MPG, healthy.
Carter needs to make it through with the same focus night in and night out.

Return to Orlando Magic