ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Thread Part 2

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

BrunoSkull
RealGM
And1: 110,436

Re: Draft Thread Part 2 

Post#21 » by BrunoSkull » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:26 am

Marty_Budda wrote:
BrunoSkull wrote:Scottie Barnes ftw. Basically a Jabari Parker/Draymond Green who can defend and dribble. High upside at our pick range, you swing for a homerun. High risk yes, do or die my friend.

Did you really just use Jabari Parker as an example to sell us on a player?

Each to their own I guess

I guess so, I meant a Jabari who could pan out, he's a bust due to constant injuries, doesn't play defense and doesn't blow by defenders. I can't find someone in pure comparison so I threw in two players hybrid, thats what some sites said in comparison. Barnes play with intensity and fire, pride himself on defense as well. He has explosive burst with decent first step, that's something Jabari lacks. I want to say Giannis comparison too, a heavy version lol.
Bruin
RealGM
And1: 38,586

Post#22 » by Bruin » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:36 am

I kinda see Scottie Barnes as a Jonathan Isaac type with better playmaking
BrunoSkull
RealGM
And1: 110,436

Post#23 » by BrunoSkull » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:57 am

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
BrunoSkull wrote:Scottie Barnes ftw. Basically a Jabari Parker/Draymond Green who can defend and dribble. High upside at our pick range, you swing for a homerun. High risk yes, do or die my friend.

High ceiling, but very low floor. At this point he's basically a playmaker on offense and a great defender. I'd say he's more of a Giannis type of creator where it's not smooth like other big guys in the mold of Ben Simmons. The thing is, Giannis can get his own bucket which forces the defense to collapse and so can Ben with his quickness, but Scottie can't at this point in time. And I'd also argue that Scottie's jumper is more broken than Giannis', almost to the point of Ben Simmons. But....if he can improve his jump shot he'll open up so much more for himself, but right now his confidence in it is beyond broken so it's could take years to develop.

I can see a Draymond comparison, but I'm not sure where you pulled Jabari Parker from. Jabari was a silky smooth scorer, which is the furthest thing from Scottie. I'm assuming you thought they play alike since they look alike.

I agree, he's a spot up shooter at best if shooting stroke pans out. In mid-season form in college he added the pull up 3 (not working; highly inconsistent). I saw Giannis comparison where he will be a monster in transition, the guy drives relentlessly. Sadly Barnes won't have Giannis' big strides (1-2 step) explosiveness. His defense is his trademark, reads the floor well, intercepts the passing lane exceptional well, will produce many steals, move his feet well with very quick hands. He can stay in front of anyone.

I saw similarities in Jabari and Barnes when operate in midpost or closer to the basket, they both like to use their size and shoulders to size up the man to drive for layups or create open space, Jabari likes to pull up or step back, that's light years away for Barnes to do.

Real issue with Barnes is he over complicates his game, misses his push-shots, like you said, his confidence is shook in anything that goes off his hand when farther away from basket. That's why he always scores most on second point because he tends to miss his first attempt but the guy plays aggressive, out rebound everyone to get his second points back.

There's a lot of goods and bads in his game, if he pans out he's a monster. If he doesn't pan out, he's a loser.
OAKLEY_2
RealGM
And1: 8,876

Post#24 » by OAKLEY_2 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:15 am

BrunoSkull wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:

High ceiling, but very low floor. At this point he's basically a playmaker on offense and a great defender. I'd say he's more of a Giannis type of creator where it's not smooth like other big guys in the mold of Ben Simmons. The thing is, Giannis can get his own bucket which forces the defense to collapse and so can Ben with his quickness, but Scottie can't at this point in time. And I'd also argue that Scottie's jumper is more broken than Giannis', almost to the point of Ben Simmons. But....if he can improve his jump shot he'll open up so much more for himself, but right now his confidence in it is beyond broken so it's could take years to develop.

I can see a Draymond comparison, but I'm not sure where you pulled Jabari Parker from. Jabari was a silky smooth scorer, which is the furthest thing from Scottie. I'm assuming you thought they play alike since they look alike.

I agree, he's a spot up shooter at best if shooting stroke pans out. In mid-season form in college he added the pull up 3 (not working; highly inconsistent). I saw Giannis comparison where he will be a monster in transition, the guy drives relentlessly. Sadly Barnes won't have Giannis' big strides (1-2 step) explosiveness. His defense is his trademark, reads the floor well, intercepts the passing lane exceptional well, will produce many steals, move his feet well with very quick hands. He can stay in front of anyone.

I saw similarities in Jabari and Barnes when operate in midpost or closer to the basket, they both like to use their size and shoulders to size up the man to drive for layups or create open space, Jabari likes to pull up or step back, that's light years away for Barnes to do.

Real issue with Barnes is he over complicates his game, misses his push-shots, like you said, his confidence is shook in anything that goes off his hand when farther away from basket. That's why he always scores most on second point because he tends to miss his first attempt but the guy plays aggressive, out rebound everyone to get his second points back.

There's a lot of goods and bads in his game, if he pans out he's a monster. If he doesn't pan out, he's a loser.

We should mark these but if Barnes is available I would be beyond surprised we did not grab him. We should never underestimate our defensive mindset identity as motivation in the draft. That said his numbers are underwhelming but not Daniel Orton bad. He is a project. Kuminga has even more question marks. He is a project. Does Moody project to be better than Trent Jr.? No and he cannot create his own shot... hard pass. I am predicting both Garuba and Mitchell will move into the lotto and we will be in reach territory which most of the time is terrifying. Garuba is the super project but he shoots the three, rim protects and has a job with Real Madrid at age 19. Have to know your sht when you draft him. He is roll of the dice in the strongest terms. This brings us to Davion Mitchell. He is the almost-Senior defensive stud. Shoots the 3 at a clip and is pretty much the consummate swing guard. Shot creator. Defender. Hmmmmmm. Definitely worthy of picking 8-12 range. Crazy how we lucked out with OG in 2017 at #23.

So we have three power forwards in Paskal, OG and Boucher. Two small point guards in Fred and Malachi. A possible small forward solution in Trent Jr. and OG is a fully capable 3 and likely to stay there. Two guard we have Trent jr. so Mitchell as competition at two guard makes sense. Of course we have nothing at Centre and that will not be fixed in the draft other than depth up front in the second round.
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#25 » by Indeed » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:15 am

Suggs vs Baylor

Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,888

Post#26 » by Reeko » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:29 am

Having seen the scouting report on Moody, he sounds exactly like what the FO is looking for in a player. Shoots the 3 well and defends at a high level, he's also 6'6 with a 7ft wingspan. He's not the most intriguing prospect though. I'm really curious as to how well we could develop a guy like Keon Johnson, if our development staff can work with him to significantly improve his 3 pointer, he's an All Star in the making.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,621

Post#27 » by Psubs » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:50 am

Reeko wrote:Having seen the scouting report on Moody, he sounds exactly like what the FO is looking for in a player. Shoots the 3 well and defends at a high level, he's also 6'6 with a 7ft wingspan. He's not the most intriguing prospect though. I'm really curious as to how well we could develop a guy like Keon Johnson, if our development staff can work with him to significantly improve his 3 pointer, he's an All Star in the making.

Is it crazy that when I think of comps that it's the same college? Like Myles Turner and Kai Jones from Texas.

I think of Joe Johnson, when I see Moody. Joe spent 2 years at Arkansas took until 22 to start showing signs.

Moody is 18 until May!!! Can the Raptors wait 3 years? They have Trent at SG so maybe go with another player?
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,888

Post#28 » by Reeko » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:01 am

Psubs wrote:
Reeko wrote:Having seen the scouting report on Moody, he sounds exactly like what the FO is looking for in a player. Shoots the 3 well and defends at a high level, he's also 6'6 with a 7ft wingspan. He's not the most intriguing prospect though. I'm really curious as to how well we could develop a guy like Keon Johnson, if our development staff can work with him to significantly improve his 3 pointer, he's an All Star in the making.

Is it crazy that when I think of comps that it's the same college? Like Myles Turner and Kai Jones from Texas.

I think of Joe Johnson, when I see Moody. Joe spent 2 years at Arkansas took until 22 to start showing signs.

Moody is 18 until May!!! Can the Raptors wait 3 years? They have Trent at SG so maybe go with another player?

That's an interesting comp. I've never seen footage of Joe playing at Arkansas, but their stats are eerily similar. Joe had slightly better percentages, and he was actually a lot bigger than Moody at the same stage, 225lbs vs Moody's 205lbs.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,200

Post#29 » by Dalek » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:17 am

A lot of people talking about Moses Moody, and while I do think he is safe pick, I am little more intrigued by Ziaire Williams. He's 6'8" as a SG with a great handle, Brandon Ingram length and shot mechanics. I think in Toronto's system he could end up elite.

Read on Twitter

Longer highlight package showing his crazy athleticism. I see a Paul George type of length and OTB game. He just needs to bulk up and he will be scary.
Read on Twitter
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,718

Post#30 » by BoyzNTheHood » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:23 am

Dalek wrote:A lot of people talking about Moses Moody, and while I do think he is safe pick, I am little more intrigued by Ziaire Williams. He's 6'8" as a SG with a great handle, Brandon Ingram length and shot mechanics. I think in Toronto's system he could end up elite.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

He's basically the forgotten top-5 guy in this draft. It's understandable though seeing as how he didn't do anything incredible, but like you said the tools to be great are there and he needs to be unlocked. I'm interested to watch some of his interviews and see how he comes off.
deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,200

Post#31 » by Dalek » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:42 am

BoyzNTheHood wrote:
Dalek wrote:A lot of people talking about Moses Moody, and while I do think he is safe pick, I am little more intrigued by Ziaire Williams. He's 6'8" as a SG with a great handle, Brandon Ingram length and shot mechanics. I think in Toronto's system he could end up elite.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

He's basically the forgotten top-5 guy in this draft. It's understandable though seeing as how he didn't do anything incredible, but like you said the tools to be great are there and he needs to be unlocked. I'm interested to watch some of his interviews and see how he comes off.

He had a weird year, no doubt. Had a knee injury in a weird bike accident before the Stanford season. Came back, played okay at first but then really started to pick things up and even had a triple double. Then he was in COVID protocols, missed 6 games, ineligible for the Tournament and there ends his college career.

To me his body and game screams NBA star profile, but like you said they will have to interview him to see more about his character. He is a pretty wildly expressive guy on court, which is something you expect from a kid.
BoyzNTheHood
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,718

Post#32 » by BoyzNTheHood » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:27 am

Dalek wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

He had a weird year, no doubt. Had a knee injury in a weird bike accident before the Stanford season. Came back, played okay at first but then really started to pick things up and even had a triple double. Then he was in COVID protocols, missed 6 games, ineligible for the Tournament and there ends his college career.

To me his body and game screams NBA star profile, but like you said they will have to interview him to see more about his character. He is a pretty wildly expressive guy on court, which is something you expect from a kid.

Just looking at interviews from youtube, he seems pretty articulate. I'm not sure about his work ethic, but all the tools are there for him to be quite the dynamic wing player at the NBA level.

A couple of interviews:

deeps6x wrote:I guarantee you that (Jaylen) Brown and (Kris) Dunn are drafted OUT of the top 5.
metafisical
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,743

Post#33 » by metafisical » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:34 am

I have not been following any of the prospects. Do some of the guys in our projected range have high BBIQ and excellent work ethic? I want a guy, who even with natural abilities, continually wants to improve his game.
I acknowledge and thank the lək̓ʷəŋən peoples of the Songhees, Esquimalt and W̱SÁNEĆ First Nations for allowing me to live, work and play on their unceded traditional territories. I also acknowledge the Métis Charter Community of Victoria.
Jerry Lucas
Pro Prospect
And1: 773

Post#34 » by Jerry Lucas » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:36 am

IMO Tre Mann is getting slept on big time.

Also I am not sold on Mobley at all in terms of being "the guy" on his team. On a contender he's probably a secondary star big who's not enough of a perimeter threat in closing time to be "the guy".

My current top 10:
1. Cade Cunningham
2. Jalen Green
3. Jalen Suggs
4. Jonathan Kuminga
5. Tre Mann
6. Evan Mobley
7. Davion Mitchell
8. Jaden Springer
9. Moses Moody
10. Corey Kispert
Tre Mann should have been a Top 10 Pick in the 2021 Draft

Team Find The Next Superstar Closer
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,576

Post#35 » by Syd-TK3 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:38 am

I'm all about potential and if we not in top 5 I'd say Ziaire one of if not the best bets on that.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,561

Post#36 » by DreamTeam09 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:57 am

Dalek wrote:
BoyzNTheHood wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=20

He definitely fits the profile of someone who I want to draft.

6'8 wing player with an iso game.

Looking at his youtube scouting reports, when he looks bad it's really bad, and he can't shoot it even though he gets a lot of points on the perimeter.
His shot looks iight, but a lot of room of improvement.

He fits in with us and how we play and what we do so I wouldn't mind him.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,192

Post#37 » by Mark_83 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:08 am

PrinceAli wrote:https://sports.yahoo.com/nba-mock-draft-30-four-man-race-at-the-top-with-no-true-consensus-no-1-pick-185252251.html

Interestingly this has mock Mobley falling to 4 with Scottie Barnes leapfrogging Kuminga into the top 5

7. Toronto Raptors: G Davion Mitchell

Ht./Wt: 6-2, 205 lbs | Class: Junior | Baylor: 14 ppg, 5.5 apg

Mitchell is the best on-ball defender in college basketball and gave teams all sorts of problems in the NCAA tournament. Head coach Scott Drew says his nickname is “Off Night” because every player that goes up against him has an off night. Mitchell has been a projected late first-round pick all season (Yahoo Sports had him at No. 13 back in February) and catapulted his way into the top 10 thanks to his consistent shooting and high basketball IQ on offense. He averaged 13.2 points and six assists in the NCAA tournament and plays a lot like another Mitchell we all know.

“His upside in the league is definitely a Donovan Mitchell-type of player who plays way better defense,” one NBA scout told Yahoo Sports.

If we're taking Mitchell it better be in a trade down scenario. Trading for the two Knicks picks would make some sense.

You could get:

15) Mitchell
21) Isaiah Jackson

15) Mitchell
21) Jalen Johnson

15) Mitchell
21) Charles Bassey
Raptorfan2012
Head Coach
And1: 4,253

Post#38 » by Raptorfan2012 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Longer highlight package showing his crazy athleticism. I see a Paul George type of length and OTB game. He just needs to bulk up and he will be scary.
Read on Twitter

Glad we are talking about Zaire Williams. He was once a top prospect coming out of high school, but his stock dropped after a so-so college year. Nonetheless, length guards that can shoot and create their own offense are in high demand. I would not be surprised if Zaire's name is called early after the top 5 have been drafted.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,621

Post#39 » by Psubs » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:36 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:I'm all about potential and if we not in top 5 I'd say Ziaire one of if not the best bets on that.

Anyone remember Patrick McCaw at UNLV? :lol:

I guess he could be Shaun Livingtson.
cdel00
Head Coach
And1: 423

Post#40 » by cdel00 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:37 pm

Kofi Cockburn is all the way down in the second round but this 7foot athlete will likely shoot up the board.
My sleeper pick

Return to Toronto Raptors