Fixing New Orleans

Moderators: Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger, Trader_Joe, loserX

slos
Starter
And1: 1,194

Fixing New Orleans 

Post#1 » by slos » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:57 pm

Some offseason moves for the Pelicans

1. Trade Bledsoe, Iwundu, Gabriel for Horford and #37

- New Orleans move on from Bledsoe and free minutes for their young guards while taking back Horford who at least can provide them some veteran leadership and a better 4th big option. This balances their roster and they get compensated with another high SRP for the extra money they take. Oklahoma uses a SRP to free even more money in their effort to collect every FRP.

2. Resign Ball with 4y/80mil and Hart with 4y/40mil. Ball is a fine NBA starter and fits their timeline, there is no need to trade him. Hart is an excellent 6th and definitely a keeper. New Orleans should match even if their price gets a bit higher.

3. Draft BPA with #11. Hopefully there is a good SG out there. Finish the roster with the 5 SRPs they end up having in this draft, which will help them avoid the tax while looking for some cheap talent.

Ball.........Lewis........#35 (WAS)
NAW........#11...........#36 (CLE)
Ingram.....Hart..........#37 (OKC)
Zion........Horford......#41 (own)
Adams.....Hayes........#51 (DAL)

Moving forward New Orleans set themselves for a big trade in 2022 too. Horford (large expiring) + combination of LAL/MIL FRPs (which will be closer to convey) and their own could get them Beal or whatever star becomes available to compliment their young core with another NBA season under their belt. No need to rush things in 2021, let this roster grow for another season.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 738

Re: Fixing New Orleans 

Post#2 » by cjmcallist » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:15 pm

slos wrote:Some offseason moves for the Pelicans

1. Trade Bledsoe, Iwundu, Gabriel for Horford and #37

- New Orleans move on from Bledsoe and free minutes for their young guards while taking back Horford who at least can provide them some veteran leadership and a better 4th big option. This balances their roster and they get compensated with another high SRP for the extra money they take. Oklahoma uses a SRP to free even more money in their effort to collect every FRP.

2. Resign Ball with 4y/80mil and Hart with 4y/40mil. Ball is a fine NBA starter and fits their timeline, there is no need to trade him. Hart is an excellent 6th and definitely a keeper. New Orleans should match even if their price gets a bit higher.

3. Draft BPA with #11. Hopefully there is a good SG out there. Finish the roster with the 5 SRPs they end up having in this draft, which will help them avoid the tax while looking for some cheap talent.

Ball.........Lewis........#35 (WAS)
NAW........#11...........#36 (CLE)
Ingram.....Hart..........#37 (OKC)
Zion........Horford......#41 (own)
Adams.....Hayes........#51 (DAL)

Moving forward New Orleans set themselves for a big trade in 2022 too. Horford (large expiring) + combination of LAL/MIL FRPs (which will be closer to convey) and their own could get them Beal or whatever star becomes available to compliment their young core with another NBA season under their belt. No need to rush things in 2021, let this roster grow for another season.

I think I would pass for OKC. It's not horrible, but I think there will be other deals out there for Horford that don't require us to give up draft capital.

I would counter by adding a future FRP and instead of Iwundu/Gabriel OKC would take back one of NAW or Hayes. Something like:

Bledsoe, NAW for Horford, 2023 DEN FRP, #37

But, don't know if that's something you're interested in.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#3 » by Buzzard » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:55 pm

I think Horford could be a good fit with Zion. He is much more a small ball center these days than a power forward. Sending a 2nd to move Horford is the most draft capital I think Presti would trade away. I like it for both teams.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,764

Post#4 » by Colbinii » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:01 pm

Buzzard wrote:I think Horford could be a good fit with Zion. He is much more a small ball center these days than a power forward. Sending a 2nd to move Horford is the most draft capital I think Presti would trade away. I like it for both teams.

To be fair to Horford, he has been a center all his career.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,052

Post#5 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:03 pm

Horford would be a good fit with Zion but Horford is good Bledsoe is terrible I wouldn’t do the OP.
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#6 » by Buzzard » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:12 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Buzzard wrote:I think Horford could be a good fit with Zion. He is much more a small ball center these days than a power forward. Sending a 2nd to move Horford is the most draft capital I think Presti would trade away. I like it for both teams.

Before Milsap, Horford played some power forward in Atlanta. It was when Smoove would rest or be benched for being a knuckle head. I know he played a lot of center, because he did not like being matched up against Dwight Howard in the playoffs all those years.

Horford was always versatile enough to play both positions until he got older and slower. Its why he was so valuable to the Hawks.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,764

Post#7 » by Colbinii » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:13 pm

Buzzard wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

Before Milsap, Horford played some power forward in Atlanta. It was when Smoove would rest or be benched for being a knuckle head. I know he played a lot of center, because he did not like being matched up against Dwight Howard in the playoffs all those years.

Horford was always versatile enough to play both positions until he got older and slower. Its why he was so valuable to the Hawks.

He definitely played Power Forward due to roster construction but he has always been best as a 5. His passing and spacing made him a great offensive 5 and his defense was strong enough (let's be honest, nobody was stopping Peak Dwight).
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,046

Post#8 » by loserX » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:17 pm

Assuming Zion keeps playing the 4, New Orleans now has a ton of money invested in Adams and Horford at the 5. I don't see how that stands, especially at their ages. (And if Zion ever plays smallball 5, the problem is compounded.)

I don't hate the first trade in a vacuum but then Adams has to go.
MoneyTalks41890
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 21,052

Post#9 » by MoneyTalks41890 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:20 pm

Yeah Horford is definitely a 5 now. Adams would need to go or they’d be wasting some talent there
JHFVF07
Rookie
And1: 893

Post#10 » by JHFVF07 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:21 pm

NOP should focus on tank the season away, they currently have the #10 and #24 pick, but it can easily become something like #7 and #18( If Lakers continues to lose), try to use those picks to get a top5 pick and draft the bpa.
Resign Ball and Hart, If still have some cap available look for good 3-D guys and the team is ready(their ceilling will depend on how good Zion will be on his prime).
Buzzard
RealGM

Post#11 » by Buzzard » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:31 pm

JHFVF07 wrote:NOP should focus on tank the season away, they currently have the #10 and #24 pick, but it can easily become something like #7 and #18( If Lakers continues to lose), try to use those picks to get a top5 pick and draft the bpa.
Resign Ball and Hart, If still have some cap available look for good 3-D guys and the team is ready(their ceilling will depend on how good Zion will be on his prime).

As bad as the Pelicans are playing, the tank is coming naturally. This is a trade for next season. I like keeping Ball because the Pelicans need his length on the perimeter. I like Horford because I think he is a better fit than Adams.

Zion is a special offensive player. But due to his size and defensive liability, length at all positions is a must have.

PG Ice Trae
C KAT/Mark Williams
slos
Starter
And1: 1,194

Post#12 » by slos » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:16 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Buzzard wrote:
Colbinii wrote:

He definitely played Power Forward due to roster construction but he has always been best as a 5. His passing and spacing made him a great offensive 5 and his defense was strong enough (let's be honest, nobody was stopping Peak Dwight).

Horford and Hayes are better at 5, but they can cover the 4 for the 12-14 minutes that Zion needs to be benched. Actually I can see this combo working. So this is how I would break this rotation.

- Zion shares his 34 minutes with Adams (28) and Horford (6).
- Hayes gets the 14 minutes that Zion is benched with Horford.

SVG ends up using four bigs, but only three combos. Zion/Adams, Zion/Horford, Horford/Hayes. I think both Zion and Hayes will benefit in the process. Zion gets a defensive C by his side at all times. Hayes is still too young at 20 for a C. He can use the next couple of seasons as a learning process with limited minutes having two bigs to mentor him until he is ready to take over.
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#13 » by Coeur » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:40 pm

They have a great shot at one or either of Bouknight or Keon Johnson

They should also look at Scottie Barnes and Jalen Johnson.

Lonzo
Ingram
Scottie Barnes
Zion
Adams

Super important draft.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,481

Post#14 » by Wolveswin » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:32 pm

JHFVF07 wrote:NOP should focus on tank the season away, they currently have the #10 and #24 pick, but it can easily become something like #7 and #18( If Lakers continues to lose), try to use those picks to get a top5 pick and draft the bpa.

They won’t be getting Lakers 1st this year. Protected.
E S V L
Analyst
And1: 960

Post#15 » by E S V L » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:30 pm

It`s too late for fixing. They should have drafted Ja.
FK NFL
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:39 pm

E S V L wrote:It`s too late for fixing. They should have drafted Ja.

Instead of Zion? Nah, I think they’re ok. Ja’s REALLY GOOD, too, but NO had to take Zion, and I don’t see any reason why they’d regret it yet.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#17 » by E S V L » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:43 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

Instead of Zion? Nah, I think they’re ok. Ja’s REALLY GOOD, too, but NO had to take Zion, and I don’t see any reason why they’d regret it yet.

Have a look into standings.
FK NFL
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#18 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:53 pm

E S V L wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

That’s a terrible argument, especially in their 2nd seasons, respectively. It’d literally mean that also, LA should’ve traded Lebron for Chris Paul because standings! Or, Washington should trade Beal for Kevin Love because STANDINGS! Or, that y’all should’ve traded Ja to the Clippers for Lou Williams, because STANDINGS!

Once you recognize those are all terrible ideas, the whole concept of just comparing standings, in the middle of the season, so early in their careers is quite silly, and a terrible measure of team building.
jayjaysee
King of the Trade Board
And1: 5,459

Post#19 » by jayjaysee » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:02 pm

I don’t think NOP needs fixing. Their star is 20. Their 2/3 pieces are both only 23.

I like Horford as a target/fit and don’t mind that trade but wouldn’t want to run Hayes or Horford at PF so think the OP is creating an issue for their roster. Would rather the deal involve Adams or Hayes honestly.

NOP can draft Jones with their lottery pick and do Hayes, Bledsoe for Horford and like the Denver first? Shrugs. I like Jones’ potential fit long term with Zion.
E S V L
Analyst

Post#20 » by E S V L » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:05 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
E S V L wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

That’s a terrible argument, especially in their 2nd seasons, respectively. It’d literally mean that also, LA should’ve traded Lebron for Chris Paul because standings! Or, Washington should trade Beal for Kevin Love because STANDINGS! Or, that y’all should’ve traded Ja to the Clippers for Lou Williams, because STANDINGS!

Once you recognize those are all terrible ideas, the whole concept of just comparing standings, in the middle of the season, so early in their careers is quite silly, and a terrible measure of team building.

You said "I don`t see any reason", I pointed out to standings that highlight the biggest difference between these two guys: while there is an argument of overall talent superiority in favor of Zion, there is a much stronger argument of a alpha-leadership and "winning is all that matters to me" superiority in favor of Ja. That`s what you should seriously consider if you represent the franchise that has been in a deep ***hole for a long time. And if you want to escape, of course.
FK NFL

Return to Trades and Transactions