ImageImageImageImage

Magic to Waive C Khem Birch

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

zaymon
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,110

Re: Magic to Waive C Khem Birch 

Post#21 » by zaymon » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:55 pm

Trading Vucevic to Bulls and then helping Celtics and Raptors to be better than them. How nice of us :) Pacers need Ennis or Bacon ? :P
My money is on Banchero going number 1 !
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,068

Post#22 » by bigdogdylan5 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:55 pm

This is definitely the correct move. IMO I think they couldn’t find a deal for him and now that Carter has already exceeded all expectations it was time to go. Guys we should have two first rounders plus our own second with Isaac and Fultz coming back we wouldn’t have room for another rookie.
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz takes:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 23,903

Post#23 » by Knightro » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:57 pm

The Magic have what amounts to a team option on Bacon for next season at $1,824,003.

I don't care for him at all, but I could see him back at that price which is essentially the veteran minimum. I could see Ennis let go before Bacon if it came down to that, but I don't think the Magic are planning to unload anyone else though.

The better question is now, who is the backup PF? It doesn't appear the Magic have one unless the Magic go sign another 10-day guy.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,271

Post#24 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:02 pm

BlueMagician wrote:What in the hell??? I get the logic of getting Bamba and WCJ more time, but they couldn't have moved him at the deadline for a 2nd rounder?

OR maybe the org didn't know what they were getting in WCJ?
AND, wasn't Bamba out with a toe injury at the deadline?

We got enough 2nd rounders.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#25 » by MagicFan101 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:02 pm

Knightro wrote:The better question is now, who is the backup PF? It doesn't appear the Magic have one unless the Magic go sign another 10-day guy.

Let’s get some WCJ + Bamba rotations going!
BDill012
Senior
And1: 273

Post#26 » by BDill012 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:05 pm

Tarheel wrote:I wonder what happened with that deal for Kevin Knox at the deadline that Shams reported then deleted. Surprises me in that they didn't move him for an asset and just let him go, but anything that allows for WCJ and Bamba to play out all the minutes at 5 for the rest of the year is a good move at this stage.

You mean the tweet from the spoof account?
BlueMagician
Freshman
And1: 44

Post#27 » by BlueMagician » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:13 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:
BlueMagician wrote:What in the hell??? I get the logic of getting Bamba and WCJ more time, but they couldn't have moved him at the deadline for a 2nd rounder?

If you are trading an All Star, you've done enough scouting on a player to know what you are getting. I am not sure about the toe injury timeframe off-hand, but if you know you aren't bringing back Khem next year and are sending away all of your vets to become non-competitive, you at least try and get something for him. Multiple 2nd rounders can be packaged to move up in the draft, so no, we don't have enough 2nd rounders. There was a good point made on an earlier comment about a deal just not being there if the only thing coming back was long term salary, but besides that, you trade an asset when you are going to lose him for nothing. If Bamba was injured at the time, you sign someone off the street to take Birch's place.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst

Post#28 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:13 pm

Knightro wrote:The Magic have what amounts to a team option on Bacon for next season at $1,824,003.

I don't care for him at all, but I could see him back at that price which is essentially the veteran minimum. I could see Ennis let go before Bacon if it came down to that, but I don't think the Magic are planning to unload anyone else though.

The better question is now, who is the backup PF? It doesn't appear the Magic have one unless the Magic go sign another 10-day guy.

Agree about the Backup PF, we do have the roster spot now.

I'm going to laugh if it's the recently released Justin Jackson from OKC.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst

Post#29 » by JBSouthpaw » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:18 pm

BlueMagician wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:

If you are trading an All Star, you've done enough scouting on a player to know what you are getting. I am not sure about the toe injury timeframe off-hand, but if you know you aren't bringing back Khem next year and are sending away all of your vets to become non-competitive, you at least try and get something for him. Multiple 2nd rounders can be packaged to move up in the draft, so no, we don't have enough 2nd rounders. There was a good point made on an earlier comment about a deal just not being there if the only thing coming back was long term salary, but besides that, you trade an asset when you are going to lose him for nothing. If Bamba was injured at the time, you sign someone off the street to take Birch's place.

They scouted him playing in Chicago, where he played like crap. He wasn't doing what he's done here.
So, you know they didn't try? Ok.
It seems like they were willing to trade anyone of the vets/expiring.
No reason to think they didn't try here.
BlueMagician
Freshman
And1: 44

Post#30 » by BlueMagician » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:24 pm

JBSouthpaw wrote:
BlueMagician wrote:
JBSouthpaw wrote:

They scouted him playing in Chicago, where he played like crap. He wasn't doing what he's done here.
So, you know they didn't try? Ok.
It seems like they were willing to trade anyone of the vets/expiring.
No reason to think they didn't try here.

Scouts and coaches know how to project talent. And I said maybe there was only deals related to long-term salary available, but Bamba being injured shouldn't have been a reason not to trade Birch. I just find it hard to believe there wasn't one team out there willing to take Birch for a 2nd, but hey, I could be wrong. Not pretending to know what goes on beind closed doors.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,714

Post#31 » by MoMM » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:27 pm

Well, they were only able to get 2 2nds for Evan, why would they be able to get a 2nd for Birch?

However, if they didn't really try to get a 2nd for him (could be a really late one), that's really a bad asset management.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,075

Post#32 » by tiderulz » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:48 pm

Def Swami wrote:Feels like a wasted asset. All that time invested in developing Birch gone for nothing. We sacrificed all those developmental minutes for Bamba to play and start Birch.

Birch is on one of the few guys the front office found off the scrap heaps and developed into a rotation NBA player. I always liked Khem Birch the person and player. Feels weird that they're just ditching one of their "wins" as a front office.

Should have traded him at the deadline.

I'm of 2 minds. They found him for nothing...but did he really develop? seems like the same player now as he was when we first got him. Im guessing the front office wasnt sure what they were getting with WCJ and with the way he has been playing, they are now all-in on a combo of WCJ/Bamba rotation.

and takes out the temptation for Clifford to give development minutes to Birch
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#33 » by fendilim » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:54 pm

Magic cutting ties ha
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,085

Post#34 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:05 pm

He was an insurance blanket. Now that they are comfortable with the production of WCJ and Bamba.... they need that time... so... it's time to make moves. It's also a great PR thing because of the way they treat their players.... best to keep player/agent/organization relationship intact unlike other front offices etc that seem to burn bridges.

now.. they are committed to the youth bigs.... so let's just be happy.
thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,202

Post#35 » by thelead » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:10 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:He was an insurance blanket. Now that they are comfortable with the production of WCJ and Bamba.... they need that time... so... it's time to make moves. It's also a great PR thing because of the way they treat their players.... best to keep player/agent/organization relationship intact unlike other front offices etc that seem to burn bridges.

now.. they are committed to the youth bigs.... so let's just be happy.

Agreed.

I can almost see the Bamba haters crying in a corner :lol:
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#36 » by OrlandO » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:12 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:
OrlandO wrote:If Bacon and Ennis aren't returning next season they need to go, too.

I think once Harris is healthy enough to play, we may see Bacon get the same waive treatment.

If it doesn't happen by tomorrow it's probably not happening. Players have to be waived by April 9 to be playoff eligible on their new teams. That's why Birch was waived today. Not that a playoff team would want bacon, but the magic would probably still do it that way if they wanted to get rid of him. Ennis is having a good year... he's probably earned a contract elsewhere, so magic should let him go now.
Landshark
Senior
And1: 360

Post#37 » by Landshark » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:14 pm

I doubt anyone was offering a second for Birch. Evan was a starter for us, and he got us two seconds. Elfrid was our starting PG and only got us one second. GMs aren't willing to give up much for an expiring, especially a bench player.

This is a good move to get minutes for the young guys.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,085

Post#38 » by yoyojw17 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:20 pm

Landshark wrote:I doubt anyone was offering a second for Birch. Evan was a starter for us, and he got us two seconds. Elfrid was our starting PG and only got us one second. GMs aren't willing to give up much for an expiring, especially a bench player.

This is a good move to get minutes for the young guys.

And a 17 million dollar TPE. We need to not forget that as an Asset. ;-)

Birch was worth a 2nd round pick to playoff team. He does his job and he does what is asked of him VERY WELL.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,121

Post#39 » by pepe1991 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:20 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Feels like a wasted asset. All that time invested in developing Birch gone for nothing. We sacrificed all those developmental minutes for Bamba to play and start Birch.

Birch is on one of the few guys the front office found off the scrap heaps and developed into a rotation NBA player. I always liked Khem Birch the person and player. Feels weird that they're just ditching one of their "wins" as a front office.

Should have traded him at the deadline.

I'm of 2 minds. They found him for nothing...but did he really develop? seems like the same player now as he was when we first got him. Im guessing the front office wasnt sure what they were getting with WCJ and with the way he has been playing, they are now all-in on a combo of WCJ/Bamba rotation.

and takes out the temptation for Clifford to give development minutes to Birch

It's just royal rumble between them for exstension pass 2022.
There is no point of keeping both of them ,at least not on long term contracts after next year . Pick one, trade other. Paying both is overkill, non of them is really upper tear level of big to be worth cashing in some crazy money.

Not really hard to figure who is front runner to be a keeper for longer time.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
axl_c_cool
Analyst
And1: 841

Post#40 » by axl_c_cool » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:20 pm

Seems like a good deal for everyone. Getting a 2nd means nothing really, if its the right thing to do, especially by the player, that goes a long long way in locker locker room and reputation around the league.

All the best to Khem.

Hopefully now Clifford continues to play only the youth in the 4th quarter!

Sent from my SM-G950F using RealGM mobile app
FORMALLY LC MAGIC

Return to Orlando Magic