2025/26 NBA top10

Moderators: penbeast0, trex_8063, PaulieWal, Doctor MJ, Clyde Frazier

Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,508

2025/26 NBA top10 

Post#1 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:52 pm

Only players currently in the League, what would you expect to be the top10 then?
Of course, new guys can be drafted but let's leave them out, for now.

1. Luka Doncic: he will be 27, in his prime, I think a nobrainer as all the guys arguably ahead of him now will be much older
2. Zion Williamson: assuming no injury, he will be at the tail end of his physical peak. To really be at this level I think he will need to become a viable option as a smallball center
3. Nikola Jokic: he will be in his early 30s, but his game is likely to age as well as anyone's. He might go back to be slightly heavier, though
4. Giannis Antetokounpo: this one is extremely tricky, because his current game is really prone to age poorly and he will be in his ealy 30s. At this point I would need to assume that he transitions more and more into playing center and he develops his mid range/post game more. Very likely to happen, knowing how much of a worker he is, but he doesn't look to me to have that super high IQ guys who end up being dominant in their 30s usually possess
5. LaMelo Ball: this is the first really big take. This is assuming he fills up and develops defensively, like his brother and proves to be a consistent off the dribble gunner
6. Ja Morant: split hair with LaMelo, him being smaller is the only thing that leaves me uncertain as in his case he would need to be a REALLY GOOD three point shooter to raise to this level. Not impossible, though
7. Anthony Davis: he will be in his early 30s, but he does have a not spectacular injury history that leaves me uncomfortable and that might limit his mobility more than expected. I feel I have to leave him here, but he could drop much further in reality
8. Jason Tatum: That's a guy that can improve a lot with maturity and making better reads and making his teammates better. That would be more a less the range prime Paul George was in
9. Michael Porter Jr: this is another hot take, and he could actually be higher than this if he makes serious progress defensively. Let's just remember how little organized basketball he played and how dominant he can be offensively. He will also be put in the best possible situation to keep growing
10. Devin Booker: he's actually still very young, I think as he matures he will be in this range

I didn't include guys who will be 35 of older by that time, and I don't think Embiid will be fully healthy in his early 30s either.
Wondering how close we would have been with the current top10 in 2016. I would probably have kept LeBron in, but as fringe top10 guy. Then likely Curry, Kawhi, Durant, Harden, Davis. Definitely I wouldn't have seen Jokic coming, as I much as I loved his rookie campaign, but I would have put Towns in. Too early for Joel, Lillard would have been in consideration for me and Paul George as well.

Put your list here, this thread is meant to be bumped in a few years
Слава Украине!
feyki
Veteran
And1: 447

Re: 2025/26 NBA top10 

Post#2 » by feyki » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:02 pm

AD and then the rest, book it.
“The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot.”
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 19,568

Post#3 » by Colbinii » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:12 pm

1. Giannis Antetokounmpo
2. Nikola Jokic
3. Luka Doncic
4. Zion Williamson
5. Karl-Anthony Towns
6. Bam Adebayo
7. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
8. Jayson Tatum
9. Trae Young
10. R.J. Barrett
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM

Post#4 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:18 pm

feyki wrote:AD and then the rest, book it.

when he will be 32?
guys like Duncan and Garnett already lost a step by that time.
Слава Украине!
colts18
Head Coach
And1: 3,237

Post#5 » by colts18 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:39 pm

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:

when he will be 32?

Top 10 players in the league according to ESPN and their ages.

LeBron 36
AD 27
Giannis 26
Luka 21
Kawhi 29
Durant 32
Lillard 30
Curry 32
Harden 31
Jokic 25

3 players who are 32 or older on this list plus Harden who is 31.
feyki
Veteran

Post#6 » by feyki » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:40 pm

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:

when he will be 32?

AD is both technically and physically different tier player than both. He still did not show his potential, I think. And his decline will come after his 35, what I see.
“The idea is not to block every shot. The idea is to make your opponent believe that you might block every shot.”
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM

Post#7 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:43 pm

colts18 wrote:Top 10 players in the league according to ESPN and their ages.

LeBron 36
AD 27
Giannis 26
Luka 21
Kawhi 29
Durant 32
Lillard 30
Curry 32
Harden 31
Jokic 25

3 players who are 32 or older on this list plus Harden who is 31.

But those guys have a very different skillset, though.
You must be an incredible passer, shooter or ball handler, at least two of them.
Davis's dominance is too much based on his athleticism, and he also has a bad history in terms of injuries.
Слава Украине!
eminence
RealGM
And1: 10,617

Post#8 » by eminence » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:45 pm

1. Luka Doncic
2. Nikola Jokic
3. Zion Williamson
4. Jayson Tatum
5. Bam Adebayo
6. Anthony Davis
7. Giannis Antetokounmpo
8. Karl-Anthony Towns
9. Trae Young
10. Rudy Gobert

Guy I haven't seen mentioned yet that I considered - Jamal Murray.
I bought a boat.
sansterre
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,813

Post#9 » by sansterre » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:50 pm

feyki wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki wrote:

when he will be 32?

AD is both technically and physically different tier player than both. He still did not show his potential, I think. And his decline will come after his 35, what I see.

I'm sorry, did you just say that Anthony Davis is on a different tier from the two best Power Forwards ever? Don't get me wrong, if you compare the three through age 26 he looks surprisingly comparable by box score metrics. But I would think that the "AD is just as good as Duncan and KG" would be a pretty tough sell.

So to say that he's on a different level than those guys is a serious challenge.

Also, there really aren't bigs that don't decline until 35. I mean, seriously, that's not a thing. The closest you could get is probably Wilt, but that gets weirder because Wilt completely changed his play style by that age (so even if he may have been better in aggregate, you can't really compare young Wilt to old Wilt in a one-to-one sense).

Your position seems to rest on facts not in evidence.
"If you wish to see the truth, hold no opinions."

"Trust one who seeks the truth. Doubt one who claims to have found the truth."
eminence
RealGM

Post#10 » by eminence » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:59 pm

sansterre wrote:
feyki wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki wrote:when he will be 32?

I'm sorry, did you just say that Anthony Davis is on a different tier from the two best Power Forwards ever? Don't get me wrong, if you compare the three through age 26 he looks surprisingly comparable by box score metrics. But I would think that the "AD is just as good as Duncan and KG" would be a pretty tough sell.

So to say that he's on a different level than those guys is a serious challenge.

Also, there really aren't bigs that don't decline until 35. I mean, seriously, that's not a thing. The closest you could get is probably Wilt, but that gets weirder because Wilt completely changed his play style by that age (so even if he may have been better in aggregate, you can't really compare young Wilt to old Wilt in a one-to-one sense).

Agreeing that AD on a different tier than KG/TD is nuts.

But at 32/33 I don't think age is a big issue for AD. Plenty of bigs have been very solid through that age.

KAJ/K.Malone arguably didn't see major decline until after 35. Russell a unique case where it's tough to tell where he would've aged out.
I bought a boat.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM

Post#11 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:20 pm

eminence wrote:
sansterre wrote:
feyki wrote:

Agreeing that AD on a different tier than KG/TD is nuts.

But at 32/33 I don't think age is a big issue for AD. Plenty of bigs have been very solid through that age.

KAJ/K.Malone arguably didn't see major decline until after 35. Russell a unique case where it's tough to tell where he would've aged out.
I had in the top10, I just find it unlikley that he can be #1 in 2025 when he's never been close to it I'm his career so far.
Moreover, he already showed durability issues, not sure where he will be after extra 5 years of mileage.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using RealGM mobile app
Слава Украине!
feyki
Veteran

Post#12 » by feyki » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:38 pm

sansterre wrote:
feyki wrote:
Ryoga Hibiki wrote:when he will be 32?

You're misleading. I talked about his talent not about what he did.

AD has a similar physicality as KAJ,Artis Gilmore. 32 also not a older age to play basketball even at a center. Even Shaq was in mvp conversation in his 32.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM

Post#13 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:49 pm

feyki wrote:
sansterre wrote:
feyki wrote:

AD has a similar physicality as KAJ,Artis Gilmore. 32 also not a older age to play basketball even at a center. Even Shaq was in mvp conversation in his 32.
1) Shaq was 3/4 the player he was in his prime, at 32
2) David didn't peak as high as Shaq. Would 3/4 of current Davis be in MVO conversation?
3) you didn't put him top5, you put him first. That's a tough ask

Слава Украине!
feyki
Veteran

Post#14 » by feyki » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:56 pm

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:
feyki wrote:
sansterre wrote:I'm sorry, did you just say that Anthony Davis is on a different tier from the two best Power Forwards ever? Don't get me wrong, if you compare the three through age 26 he looks surprisingly comparable by box score metrics. But I would think that the "AD is just as good as Duncan and KG" would be a pretty tough sell.

1) Shaq was 3/4 the player he was in his prime, at 32
2) David didn't peak as high as Shaq. Would 3/4 of current Davis be in MVO conversation?
3) you didn't put him top5, you put him first. That's a tough ask

Shaq was the example of the worst. Davis still not peaked. Cheers.
trex_8063
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,239

Post#15 » by trex_8063 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:17 pm

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:Only players currently in the League, what would you expect to be the top10 then?
Of course, new guys can be drafted but let's leave them out, for now.

1. Luka Doncic: he will be 27, in his prime, I think a nobrainer as all the guys arguably ahead of him now will be much older
2. Zion Williamson: assuming no injury, he will be at the tail end of his physical peak. To really be at this level I think he will need to become a viable option as a smallball center
3. Nikola Jokic: he will be in his early 30s, but his game is likely to age as well as anyone's. He might go back to be slightly heavier, though
4. Giannis Antetokounpo: this one is extremely tricky, because his current game is really prone to age poorly and he will be in his ealy 30s. At this point I would need to assume that he transitions more and more into playing center and he develops his mid range/post game more. Very likely to happen, knowing how much of a worker he is, but he doesn't look to me to have that super high IQ guys who end up being dominant in their 30s usually possess
5. LaMelo Ball: this is the first really big take. This is assuming he fills up and develops defensively, like his brother and proves to be a consistent off the dribble gunner
6. Ja Morant: split hair with LaMelo, him being smaller is the only thing that leaves me uncertain as in his case he would need to be a REALLY GOOD three point shooter to raise to this level. Not impossible, though
7. Anthony Davis: he will be in his early 30s, but he does have a not spectacular injury history that leaves me uncomfortable and that might limit his mobility more than expected. I feel I have to leave him here, but he could drop much further in reality
8. Jason Tatum: That's a guy that can improve a lot with maturity and making better reads and making his teammates better. That would be more a less the range prime Paul George was in
9. Michael Porter Jr: this is another hot take, and he could actually be higher than this if he makes serious progress defensively. Let's just remember how little organized basketball he played and how dominant he can be offensively. He will also be put in the best possible situation to keep growing
10. Devin Booker: he's actually still very young, I think as he matures he will be in this range

I didn't include guys who will be 35 of older by that time, and I don't think Embiid will be fully healthy in his early 30s either.
Wondering how close we would have been with the current top10 in 2016. I would probably have kept LeBron in, but as fringe top10 guy. Then likely Curry, Kawhi, Durant, Harden, Davis. Definitely I wouldn't have seen Jokic coming, as I much as I loved his rookie campaign, but I would have put Towns in. Too early for Joel, Lillard would have been in consideration for me and Paul George as well.

Put your list here, this thread is meant to be bumped in a few years

I like the thought exercise, even if I don't agree with all of your predictions (even if some of them are [by your admission] "hot takey").

Bam Adebayo seems like someone who should at least be seriously considered.
Trae Young seems like a near sure-thing too [injury not withstanding], no? He's perhaps the most glaring omission.
Donavan Mitchell another.
Jamal Murray?
Jaylen Brown?

Although they'll be into their 30s, could Pascal and/or FVV be potentials for one of the last spots??? [EDIT: doubtful, upon reflection]
RJ Barrett seems like he's got some potential, too.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." -George Carlin

"The fact that a proposition is absurd has never hindered those who wish to believe it." -Edward Rutherfurd
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,098

Post#16 » by Statlanta » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:46 pm

1. Nikola Jokic
2. Luka Doncic
3. Giannis Antetokoumpo
4. Anthony Davis
5. Donovan Mitchell
6. Devin Booker
7. Jamal Murray
8. Jayson Tatum
9. Ben Simmons
10. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

Lower on Williamson, Ball and Morant. Those are some garbage franchises those guys will have to carry to the playoffs.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM

Post#17 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Fri Apr 9, 2021 9:05 am

eminence wrote:1. Luka Doncic
2. Nikola Jokic
3. Zion Williamson
4. Jayson Tatum
5. Bam Adebayo
6. Anthony Davis
7. Giannis Antetokounmpo
8. Karl-Anthony Towns
9. Trae Young
10. Rudy Gobert

Gobert in 25/26?
That would be very surprising.
Слава Украине!
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM

Post#18 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Fri Apr 9, 2021 9:07 am

Statlanta wrote:1. Nikola Jokic
2. Luka Doncic
3. Giannis Antetokoumpo
4. Anthony Davis
5. Donovan Mitchell
6. Devin Booker
7. Jamal Murray
8. Jayson Tatum
9. Ben Simmons
10. Shai Gilgeous-Alexander

Lower on Williamson, Ball and Morant. Those are some garbage franchises those guys will have to carry to the playoffs.

What are you expecting from MItchell to assume he will be a top5 player?
He's very far from that at this point, where do you see his development coming from?
Слава Украине!
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM

Post#19 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Fri Apr 9, 2021 9:18 am

trex_8063 wrote:I like the thought exercise, even if I don't agree with all of your predictions (even if some of them are [by your admission] "hot takey").

don't be shy, share your list!
Bam Adebayo seems like someone who should at least be seriously considered.
Trae Young seems like a near sure-thing too [injury not withstanding], no? He's perhaps the most glaring omission.
Donavan Mitchell another.
Jamal Murray?
Jaylen Brown?

Although they'll be into their 30s, could Pascal and/or FVV be potentials for one of the last spots??? [EDIT: doubtful, upon reflection]
RJ Barrett seems like he's got some potential, too.

Bam: the issue here is that he would need to become a much more dangerous scoring option to be considered at this level, and I am not sure he has it in him. I think it's more likeley he ill peak in the 15 range
Trae: I might be biased against this kind of small guys, so he could surprise me. I don't think he has Steph in him, but maybe he will evolve in something closer to Dame, and be a fringe top10?
Mitchell: he's very far now and not that young. He will be almost 30. Where would you see his development coming from? That's a career borderline all star, in my view
Murray: very hard to judge, so crazily inconsistent. Bubble Murray, if it becomes the new normal, could be in the bubble (lol) one day. A bit too much of gunner not attacking the basket and not as much of a playmaker. Not necessary as he has Jokic, but still something I would expect from a guy his in the top10
Brown: not counting out Brown. Smart guy who will keep improving. But more likley peaking as a fringe All NBAer

Pascal or FVV I would be very surprised.
RJ who knows, you might also think of Edwards if he puts it together. Or JJJ if healthy.
But I feel it's too much speculation, at this point.
Слава Украине!
eminence
RealGM

Post#20 » by eminence » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:17 pm

Ryoga Hibiki wrote:
eminence wrote:1. Luka Doncic
2. Nikola Jokic
3. Zion Williamson
4. Jayson Tatum
5. Bam Adebayo
6. Anthony Davis
7. Giannis Antetokounmpo
8. Karl-Anthony Towns
9. Trae Young
10. Rudy Gobert

Gobert in 25/26?
That would be very surprising.

My basic logic - he'll still be tall. Deke aged pretty dang well, and so have lots of other 7 foot bigs - KAJ, KG, Duncan, Wilt as stars.
I bought a boat.

Return to Player Comparisons