ImageImageImage

Around the NBA (Non-Celtics) 2020-21, Part 1

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,463

Re: Around the NBA (Non-Celtics) 2020-21, Part 1 

Post#1901 » by KGtabake » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:03 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
KGtabake wrote:
darrendaye wrote:
Read on Twitter

I was all in trading for Jrue.
I believed that a backcourt of Marcus-Jrue would have been the best defensive backcourt in history.
But i get that the price was too much.

I also get that the market dictates the contracts nowadays. 40 mil per is too much.
The Bucks had decided to give it to him from the moment they traded for him. They preferred him than CP. If this was a good choice, remains to be seen in the future.

Their trio of Antetokounmpo/Middleton/Jrue is set. They will be contending for the next 3 years.
But now we'll see if their FO is worthy.
They have to surround the trio with low cost good players. Portis is a good example.
Lopez is not.

Overall, happy for Jrue. Always liked him as a player and he seems a great guy too.

DiVincenzo isn't a bad role player either at $3M per.

Yeah but they'll have to pay him in the summer.
This has Brogdon vibes on it. Are they willing to give him a 4/72 extension? He will be having enough suitors. Very athletic, good defender and rebounder for his size but streaky shooter and mediocre playmaker.
The Bucks will have to match any offers and i don't know if they will.
After holiday's extension they have 122m$ tied annually on 3 players.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,409

Post#1902 » by bisme37 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:08 pm

Definitely the wealthiest person named Jrue the world has ever seen.
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,101

Post#1903 » by RickyDizzle » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:21 pm

Does anyone expect the core of Freak, middleton, Jrue to seriously threaten for a championship? I dont. I guess they went all in with that Jrue trade and had to keep him... But 40 mil a year for a guy unlikely to make an all star team in the next 4 years seems rough.

Maybe when Lebron fades or retires the ring chasing types will sign in Milwaukee but they seem destined to be a good regular season team that comes up empty...
LoquaciousLarry
Sophomore
And1: 190

Post#1904 » by LoquaciousLarry » Sun Apr 4, 2021 6:53 pm

RickyDizzle wrote:Does anyone expect the core of Freak, middleton, Jrue to seriously threaten for a championship? I dont. I guess they went all in with that Jrue trade and had to keep him... But 40 mil a year for a guy unlikely to make an all star team in the next 4 years seems rough.

Maybe when Lebron fades or retires the ring chasing types will sign in Milwaukee but they seem destined to be a good regular season team that comes up empty...

I agree. I don't see that trio beating a healthy (both mentally and physically) nets squad for the foreseeable future to even get out of the East. Jrue Holiday got the Dak Prescott deal. Good player but 40 mil is an overpay.
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,014

Post#1905 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 8:19 pm

That's the Rudy Gobert method of business there. You give the man whatever you need to keep them. They would pay Thanasis 40 million if it kept Giannis happy.

On another note, always great fun watching Irving lose a game. Chicago is like one move away from being real nice.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,218

Post#1906 » by Matches Malone » Sun Apr 4, 2021 8:53 pm

LoquaciousLarry wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:Does anyone expect the core of Freak, middleton, Jrue to seriously threaten for a championship? I dont. I guess they went all in with that Jrue trade and had to keep him... But 40 mil a year for a guy unlikely to make an all star team in the next 4 years seems rough.

I agree. I don't see that trio beating a healthy (both mentally and physically) nets squad for the foreseeable future to even get out of the East. Jrue Holiday got the Dak Prescott deal. Good player but 40 mil is an overpay.

The $160 million isn't guaranteed. It's a $30 million cap hit next season with incentives that can push it to $40 million. That puts him roughly as the 15th highest paid guard next season, similar to Dlo and McCollum. I wouldn't really consider that an overpay. Look at his numbers post all-star. He said he's finally starting to get over his COVID-19 symptoms in his lungs and he's more comfortable being more assertive on his new team.

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,101

Post#1907 » by RickyDizzle » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:41 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
LoquaciousLarry wrote:

The $160 million isn't guaranteed. It's a $30 million cap hit next season with incentives that can push it to $40 million. That puts him roughly as the 15th highest paid guard next season, similar to Dlo and McCollum. I wouldn't really consider that an overpay. Look at his numbers post all-star. He said he's finally starting to get over his COVID-19 symptoms in his lungs and he's more comfortable being more assertive on his new team.

Read on Twitter

What are the incentives? If linked to team performance / success in the playoffs thats more palatable. His numbers you shared are better than expected too, but its a 12 game hot streak... Those percentages are unlikely to extend at that clip for the rest of the season ans playoffs.

Maybe the contract isnt as bad as my first reaction, but my point stands that their big 3 looks like a tier below a championship threat and theyre all maxed out / locked in with minimal flexibility.
Fierce1
RealGM
And1: 10,428

Post#1908 » by Fierce1 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:49 pm

The Bucks are desperate.

They blew their chance to win a championship in 2019.
steefP2
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,676

Post#1909 » by steefP2 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:56 pm

RickyDizzle wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
LoquaciousLarry wrote:

Read on Twitter

What are the incentives? If linked to team performance / success in the playoffs thats more palatable. His numbers you shared are better than expected too, but its a 12 game hot streak... Those percentages are unlikely to extend at that clip for the rest of the season ans playoffs.

Maybe the contract isnt as bad as my first reaction, but my point stands that their big 3 looks like a tier below a championship threat and theyre all maxed out / locked in with minimal flexibility.

IIRC most of the incentives are related to making conference finals, finals and stuff. Somewhat similar to Brown's incentives. He'd get more in free agency and this was for sure already decided when they traded for him. Just only allowable now.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,840

Post#1910 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:23 pm

Read on Twitter
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#1911 » by 3D Chess » Mon Apr 5, 2021 9:37 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Good. Not retaining the right to challenge after a successful challenge is stupid. I hate the way replays slow the game down, but you can't punish the coach for getting it right.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#1912 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Apr 6, 2021 11:40 pm

Didn't we want to pair these two together back when Rondo was still a Celtic?

Read on Twitter
La Flame
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,104

Post#1913 » by La Flame » Wed Apr 7, 2021 12:56 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Didn't we want to pair these two together back when Rondo was still a Celtic?

Read on Twitter

And Josh Smith
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 55,409

Post#1914 » by bisme37 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 7:27 pm

I just saw that Isaiah went on a personal 8 point run in his Pels debut last night. And finished plus-7 in a 16 point loss, which is hard to do.

I miss IT.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#1915 » by BostonCouchGM » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:09 pm

bisme37 wrote:I just saw that Isaiah went on a personal 8 point run in his Pels debut last night. And finished plus-7 in a 16 point loss, which is hard to do.

I miss IT.

I really miss that team. It fit Brad's system unlike any others that we've had. If IT was a better defender with size we might have gotten to the Finals. He ran the PnR, could penetrate and kick and hit big shots. That's what Brad's system needs and is why it always made no sense why Kyrie was traded for and Kemba was signed. Neither fit the system at all. Pritchard does though. Shame Brad doesn't see it and won't start him. Oh well. I think Brad has worn out his welcome and isn't long for Boston.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#1916 » by playa-hater » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:02 am

Looking around the league's games tonight. most notable items. Poku had his best most impressive game so far. 9-14 and 7-11 from 3.

Old man LMA 2 for 2 from 3 and Blake Griffin 2-4 from 3. No Harden but KD back.

And Dallas loses to Houston with Luka going 9 for 26 and 1-9 from 3 with 5 asts and 5 turnovers. how the hell does he kill us??

and Atlanta loses to Memphis. Boston 1 game out of 4th place.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#1917 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:03 am

Should CP3 be in the MVP convo? Top 5 candidate at least? Or is their turnaround more of a Monty Williams thing (they did sweep their bubble games last season).

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#1918 » by jmr07019 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:51 am

The Sacramento Kings plan to offer bitcoin as a payment option to all players and coaches, the team’s owner, Vivek Ranadivé, said Monday night, in the most recent example of the NBA’s rush to embrace cryptocurrency and digital assets.

Back in 2014, shortly after Ranadivé purchased the club, Sacramento announced it would become the first major professional sports franchise to accept bitcoin in exchange for team merchandise or tickets. In 2019, the Dallas Mavericks, owned by Mark Cuban, also began accepting bitcoin as a payment method. Last month, Cuban announced the Mavs would become the first pro team to accept dogecoin. NBA Top Shot, a blockchain-based platform on which users buy and sell officially licensed NBA collectible highlights known as “Moments,” has generated nearly $500 million in sales since going live less than eight months ago—with more than $180 million of that total processed in the past month. This year, six NBA owners formed a Blockchain Advisory Subcommittee to advise the league on how to best utilize crypto and other digital assets.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2021/04/06/owner-of-nbas-kings-to-offer-to-pay-players-in-bitcoin/amp/

You love to see it
Show Love Spread Love
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#1919 » by playa-hater » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:28 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Should CP3 be in the MVP convo? Top 5 candidate at least? Or is their turnaround more of a Monty Williams thing (they did sweep their bubble games last season).

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

at minimum CP3 shows the value of a play-making veteran PG on a young team. He has glued them together quite well.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,605

Post#1920 » by BK_2020 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:30 pm

CP3's showing the value of having a top 5 all-time PG on the team. As for whatever is a "play-making veteran PG," I can tell you right now the Suns will not be where they are if they had Rondo instead.

Return to Boston Celtics