ImageImageImageImageImage

[Shams] Khem Birch expected to sign with the Toronto Raptors after being waived by Orlando

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,067

Re: [Shams] Khem Birch expected to sign with the Toronto Raptors after being waived by Orlando 

Post#121 » by tecumseh18 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:41 pm

Dalek wrote:Knicks are looming in the background with capspace to claim Khem Birch off waivers. This is going to be a stressful few days.

Basically, once Khem is waived he can be claimed by any team wanting to take on his contract for 48 hours. Knicks have the money to absorb his deal and not have to compete with anyone unless a similar claim is made. I doubt it happens, but it just points out that a lot can happen in two days.

Toronto isn't what it used to be. A contender could swoop in and steal him easy.

But if the deadline is tomorrow, than how can Raptors wait that long? Or is the deadline just that we can't use him in the playoffs, which is not going to be a concern?
yassillio
Rookie
And1: 1,074

Re: [Shams] Khem Birch expected to sign with the Toronto Raptors after being waived by Orlando 

Post#122 » by yassillio » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:46 pm

Is that even possible ?

bboyskinnylegs wrote:is he worse than Baynes?
Leo: I tell players all the time
Knucknbuc
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,732

Post#123 » by Knucknbuc » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:51 pm

Dalek wrote:Knicks are looming in the background with capspace to claim Khem Birch off waivers. This is going to be a stressful few days.

Basically, once Khem is waived he can be claimed by any team wanting to take on his contract for 48 hours. Knicks have the money to absorb his deal and not have to compete with anyone unless a similar claim is made. I doubt it happens, but it just points out that a lot can happen in two days.

Toronto isn't what it used to be. A contender could swoop in and steal him easy.
lol no ones losing sleep over not getting khem birch on their team

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
douggood
General Manager
And1: 5,325

Post#124 » by douggood » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:53 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:

But if the deadline is tomorrow, than how can Raptors wait that long? Or is the deadline just that we can't use him in the playoffs, which is not going to be a concern?

deadline to be eligible for playoffs isnt to be signed, its to be released, he could sign on the last day of the season and be eligible for playoff, as long as he was released before friday.
its not just the knicks who can claim him, anyteam with TPE, DPE can claim as well (boston/bkn etc)
Raptors Realtor
Analyst
And1: 2,854

Post#125 » by Raptors Realtor » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:55 pm

Doesn't Webster know our lack of bigs depth has been our achilles heel all season which is why we're rising up the draft ladder... Don't fill that void now!

Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,199

Post#126 » by Dalek » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:57 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:

I think the rule works in that if the player is waived before the deadline he will be playoff eligible. He just can't be on a roster on the day of the deadline and still be playoff eligible. I don't think it impacts Toronto using him for the playoffs if that happens.
elmer_yuck
Veteran
And1: 560

Post#127 » by elmer_yuck » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:06 pm

7 pages about possibly signing Khem Birch, one of the most mediocre players in the NBA, who happens to be Canadian.
Caped Crusader
Veteran
And1: 3,855

Post#128 » by Caped Crusader » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:18 pm

Son Goku 25 wrote:Does he rebound.

Also, this is to fill the void for Norm.. him CJ and Norm and like lost brothers.
Loool oh man I can't unsee it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Son Goku 25
RealGM
And1: 40,591

Post#129 » by Son Goku 25 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:21 pm

Caped Crusader wrote:
Son Goku 25 wrote:Does he rebound.

Also, this is to fill the void for Norm.. him CJ and Norm and like lost brothers.
Loool oh man I can't unsee it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

:lol: trust
Dalek
RealGM

Post#130 » by Dalek » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:28 pm

elmer_yuck wrote:7 pages about possibly signing Khem Birch, one of the most mediocre players in the NBA, who happens to be Canadian.

If you have been here since 2004, then you would know this is pretty much common to this board. Toronto is perpetually one piece away from contending in the minds of Raptor's obsessives. I am pretty sure there is a large group of people here that have wanted Birch on this team for years. I am one of them.

I know what you mean about him being mediocre, but the one thing I cannot accept as a Raptor's fan is having a team as toilet paper soft as Toronto is right now. You look at the board disparity, and how scrubs are having career nights because Toronto can't protect the paint. That Laker game felt like the last straw for this team. Adding guys like Birch and Gillespie won't necessarily win more games, but they won't allow Toronto to be bullied either.
tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,353

Post#131 » by tdotrep2 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:31 pm

even if hes baynes on offence, baynes on defense is just as big of an atrocity. birch is actually good on defense so, theres an upgrade there but it hurts the tank
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,234

Post#132 » by PhilBlackson » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:33 pm

Ffs 9th place or dying 2.0 here we come!

#makingcolangeloproud
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Nebuchadnezzar
Sixth Man
And1: 1,848

Post#133 » by Nebuchadnezzar » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:37 pm

Dalek wrote:
elmer_yuck wrote:7 pages about possibly signing Khem Birch, one of the most mediocre players in the NBA, who happens to be Canadian.

If you have been here since 2004, then you would know this is pretty much common to this board. Toronto is perpetually one piece away from contending in the minds of Raptor's obsessives. I am pretty sure there is a large group of people here that have wanted Birch on this team for years. I am one of them.

I know what you mean about him being mediocre, but the one thing I cannot accept as a Raptor's fan is having a team as toilet paper soft as Toronto is right now. You look at the board disparity, and how scrubs are having career nights because Toronto can't protect the paint. That Laker game felt like the last straw for this team. Adding guys like Birch and Gillespie won't necessarily win more games, but they won't allow Toronto to be bullied either.

Why is more raptor talk a bad thing?
Dalek
RealGM

Post#134 » by Dalek » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:41 pm

Nebuchadnezzar wrote:
Dalek wrote:

Why is more raptor talk a bad thing?

I agree. I prefer some hopeful Raps' banter rather than counting down the games during the apocalypse.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,448

Post#135 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:43 pm

If simply having any C+ / D- center in the starting line-up results in us winning significantly more games I would be surprised.

Adding potentially the two big guys likely has a lot more to do with reducing the amount of contact in the paint some of our core guys have been forced to take this season simply due to the lack of quality at the five.

With that said, if we do go on a streak simply because we have a borderline NBA player sucking down 30MPG at the five then we have a pretty clear path to significant improvement next season.
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
Mikistan
RealGM
And1: 38,387

Post#136 » by Mikistan » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:55 pm

PhilBlackson wrote:Ffs 9th place or dying 2.0 here we come!

#makingcolangeloproud

colangelo was ahead of his time, 9th now gets a play in shot, the man was a savant, find another slant
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,620

Post#137 » by Psubs » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:07 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:If simply having any C+ / D- center in the starting line-up results in us winning significantly more games I would be surprised.

Adding potentially the two big guys likely has a lot more to do with reducing the amount of contact in the paint some of our core guys have been forced to take this season simply due to the lack of quality at the five.

With that said, if we do go on a streak simply because we have a borderline NBA player sucking down 30MPG at the five then we have a pretty clear path to significant improvement next season.

If the C can rebound, not get pushed around and seem like there is someone protecting the rim, it would really help.

Bonjour Bros!!! Boucher and Birch!!!
lolwut
General Manager
And1: 12,917

Post#138 » by lolwut » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:10 pm

How are Birch's hands?

Baynes has some of the worst hands I've ever seen. Does he even have hands? Or is he actually an amputee and those are just prosthetics?
2023-2024 FatherTracker™ - baby raptors looking to be adopted by a warm, loving family man
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#139 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:15 pm

The tank might get compromised with this move.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 21,889

Post#140 » by ItsDanger » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:25 pm

What are we doing here? Give the young guys ALL the minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/Unknown-Team-Mediocre-Tee-Shirt/dp/B07P155Y6J

Should sell big here.

Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.

Return to Toronto Raptors