ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

gocelts
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,898

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread 

Post#1881 » by gocelts » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:21 am

Not sure if this warrants its own thread but I see it’s been mentioned in this one.

Anyone else surprised to see Kornet getting opportunities over Wagner? I really didn’t think Kornet was going to even stay with the team after the trade....he seemed like a total throw in.

I’m actually pleasantly surprised.
He’s got good length, plays smart and has a complimentary skill set for the offense. I’m happy he’s getting to play and he’s doing good things.if this guy develops into a consistent back up...that would be awesome. Can’t teach height, and he’s already got a jumper....so far so good.

I just wonder why he’s being favored over Wagner whom was considered more further along.
~gocelts
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,201

Post#1882 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:45 am

Read on Twitter

Celtics are leading the league in 3-pt attempts per game in the last 10 games (shooting at 38.4%).
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#1883 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:39 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Celtics are leading the league in 3-pt attempts per game in the last 10 games (shooting at 38.4%).

That's honestly who they have to be. This is what their identity should be and I don't understand why they denied it for so long. To me, the key number is 40 3PAs. That's what they need to get up each game. Obviously, of the good look variety but that also means that they have to play with enough pace to get that many attempts up. It would be nice if this team is playing their best basketball going into the playoffs.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#1884 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Apr 5, 2021 5:54 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

That's honestly who they have to be. This is what their identity should be and I don't understand why they denied it for so long. To me, the key number is 40 3PAs. That's what they need to get up each game. Obviously, of the good look variety but that also means that they have to play with enough pace to get that many attempts up. It would be nice if this team is playing their best basketball going into the playoffs.

I don't think it's a coincidence that this surge in three-point shooting came during the stretch once Thompson was sidelined. We were taking 35.2 threes before Thompson went out, 42.1 attempts since. Cs are taking 11.8 threes with Tatum AND Thompson both ON the floor and 17.8 threes with Tatum ON and Thompson OFF the floor.

Thompson messes up with our spacing esp when he played with another big. He doesn't shoot threes like Theis and he doesn't pass the ball well from up top like Timelord. He also isn't much of a roll threat like Timelord. Off offensive rebounds, he rarely kicks out to shooters. Not much of a ballmover when you throw the ball to him inside.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#1885 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:43 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't think it's a coincidence that this surge in three-point shooting came during the stretch once Thompson was sidelined. We were taking 35.2 threes before Thompson went out, 45.1 attempts since. Cs are taking 11.8 threes with Tatum AND Thompson both ON the floor and 17.8 threes with Tatum ON and Thompson OFF the floor.

Thompson messes up with our spacing esp when he played with another big. He doesn't shoot threes like Theis and he doesn't pass the ball well from up top like Timelord. He also isn't much of a roll threat like Timelord. Off offensive rebounds, he rarely kicks out to shooters. Not much of a ballmover when you throw the ball to him inside.

You and I have been talking all year about this team getting back to its 5-out stuff more and increase the pace. It only took like 45 games for them to listen. It's amazing. Astute observation about Thompson. Not sure when he'll be back but when he does, it will be interesting to see if Kornet can make enough shots to cut into Thompson's time more. It's interesting that Wagner is now getting the garbage time minutes instead of him. In related news, Karalis offered up this nugget tonight:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#1886 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:59 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:

I don't think it's a coincidence that this surge in three-point shooting came during the stretch once Thompson was sidelined. We were taking 35.2 threes before Thompson went out, 45.1 attempts since. Cs are taking 11.8 threes with Tatum AND Thompson both ON the floor and 17.8 threes with Tatum ON and Thompson OFF the floor.

You and I have been talking all year about this team getting back to its 5-out stuff more and increase the pace. It only took like 45 games for them to listen. It's amazing. Astute observation about Thompson. Not sure when he'll be back but when he does, it will be interesting to see if Kornet can make enough shots to cut into Thompson's time more. It's interesting that Wagner is now getting the garbage time minutes instead of him. In related news, Karalis offered up this nugget tonight:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

Passing metrics are also up for the Cs during the same span. Combo of extra emphasis on more ball movement and more pace, change of personnel, right guys starting to get healthy, Timelord with an elevated role, etc. It's good we're trending in the right direction. It never seemed like we're aiming for a high pick. Trading for Fournier pretty much confirmed that. So let's just let them play their best basketball from here on out. Even if they don't make noise in the playoffs, at least they've found something to build on, esp with more young guys involved.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#1887 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Apr 5, 2021 7:04 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:I don't think it's a coincidence that this surge in three-point shooting came during the stretch once Thompson was sidelined. We were taking 35.2 threes before Thompson went out, 45.1 attempts since. Cs are taking 11.8 threes with Tatum AND Thompson both ON the floor and 17.8 threes with Tatum ON and Thompson OFF the floor.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Passing metrics are also up for the Cs during the same span. Combo of extra emphasis on more ball movement and more pace, change of personnel, right guys starting to get healthy, Timelord with an elevated role, etc. It's good we're trending in the right direction. It never seemed like we're aiming for a high pick. Trading for Fournier pretty much confirmed that. So let's just let them play their best basketball from here on out. Even if they don't make noise in the playoffs, at least they've found something to build on, esp with more young guys involved.

What would you put as the likelihood of Brown still being traded when the right star becomes available (Beal, KAT, etc)

zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#1888 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Apr 5, 2021 7:19 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

What would you put as the likelihood of Brown still being traded when the right star becomes available (Beal, KAT, etc)

I'm so bad at that. I won't even try. None of my predictions ever come true. I'd do it for Beal, but probably not for KAT, mainly due to Timelord's emergence. Have to consider fit and potential $$ impact.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#1889 » by ddb » Mon Apr 5, 2021 12:49 pm

I don't mean to put the cart before the horse as it's only been wins over a lousy Rockets team and a shorthanded Hornets team, but things seem to finally be coming together for the Celtics. In other words, the pieces are starting to fit. Langford in short minutes after missing so much time just looked like he belongs finally. Fournier is playing well and getting comfortable with his new teammates. Timelord is solidifying himself as a foundation piece along with the J's & Smarty. Kornet/Wagner are youngish bigs that can space the floor in spot minutes. Grant is making the corner 3. Kemba has been solid.
Once Thompson comes back that gives this group a veteran bruiser and offensive rebounder for some of the matchups against more traditional bigs....Thompson I would think is now a bench player and won't be playing a ton, but it'll be nice to have him rounding out the rotation.

This team can make things interesting in the East.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,833

Post#1890 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:54 pm

ddb wrote:I don't mean to put the cart before the horse as it's only been wins over a lousy Rockets team and a shorthanded Hornets team, but things seem to finally be coming together for the Celtics. In other words, the pieces are starting to fit. Langford in short minutes after missing so much time just looked like he belongs finally. Fournier is playing well and getting comfortable with his new teammates. Timelord is solidifying himself as a foundation piece along with the J's & Smarty. Kornet/Wagner are youngish bigs that can space the floor in spot minutes. Grant is making the corner 3. Kemba has been solid.
Once Thompson comes back that gives this group a veteran bruiser and offensive rebounder for some of the matchups against more traditional bigs....Thompson I would think is now a bench player and won't be playing a ton, but it'll be nice to have him rounding out the rotation.

This team can make things interesting in the East.

As long as they keep up the ball movement which utilizes everyone's skill set.
gocelts
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,898

Post#1891 » by gocelts » Mon Apr 5, 2021 9:06 pm

When the 3s are falling and we're on, we're focused and are pretty tough for anyone to beat. When we're off, we look like a bunch of 1st graders out there. THIS is the part that has to change. This O'Brien ball 2.0. We live and die at the 3 point line and it will catch up to us. Maybe first round, maybe second round..but we are going to bottom out unless we have some sort of offense (not one on one iso) that the team can confidently run when the shots arent falling.
~gocelts
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#1892 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Apr 5, 2021 9:15 pm

gocelts wrote:When the 3s are falling and we're on, we're focused and are pretty tough for anyone to beat. When we're off, we look like a bunch of 1st graders out there. THIS is the part that has to change. This O'Brien ball 2.0. We live and die at the 3 point line and it will catch up to us. Maybe first round, maybe second round..but we are going to bottom out unless we have some sort of offense (not one on one iso) that the team can confidently run when the shots arent falling.

There's only so much DHOs you can do even if we encourage the players to keep moving on offense. What we lack is a reliable guy who can get into the paint with his dribble and break down the defense. That should've been Kemba but it looks like he's lost a step and was never an elite playmaker/finisher to begin with. Jays' handles are still iffy in traffic. Smart can get there but isn't much of scoring threat in the paint so the defense will just play him for the pass. A Doncic or Harden or Lebron or even Fox/Ja would be nice to have. This is the same issue the Clippers are having sometimes. The exception being, they're an elite three-point shooting team right now and they also have reliable midrange scorers.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#1893 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Apr 7, 2021 10:03 pm

Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#1894 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Apr 8, 2021 11:54 am

The current top 10 in offensive rating all have at least one very good natural playmaker on their team w/ the exception of the Clippers and Pelicans -- Nets (Harden), Nuggets (Jokic), Jazz (Conley, Ingles), Bucks (Giannis, Holiday), Blazers (Dame), Suns (CP3, Booker), Hawks (Trae), and Kings (Fox).

Clippers have been really, really good from 3 with 9 rotation guys shooting at least 37.9% from distance. They also have PG and Kawhi who can both punish you on mismatch situations. Pelicans get to the line a ton (only 2nd to the Sixers) and their young star lives around the rim.

The Celtics have Smart as their best natural playmaker. Their top 4 scorers get to within 3 feet of the rim at a rate that's below league average. Their top 3 scorers are all below average in free throw rate. Tatum and Brown both have three-point rates that are below league average. Three of their top 4 scorers are below average in true shooting %.

So when initial actions for those teams above break down, they have someone to throw the ball and say, "create something for yourself or someone else." Well, Cs have Smart, who's not efficient at all, and Tatum, who settles for jumpers too much and doesn't get to the line.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#1895 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Apr 8, 2021 12:10 pm

We've won 3 of 4 now, which is a start. Just as importantly, it seems like the defense is better - even in the loss to the Sixers, we only let up 106, and in the 3 wins we let up an average of 96 PPG. I've given up on Brad doing anything interesting schematically in his "read and react" offense, but there's no reason this team can't be a top 5-10 defense with the athletes and length we have.

Minny will be a good test here. They've been playing better ball of late. Would love to see Rob bounce back after a couple uneven games lately against another tough test with KAT.
KumaJG
Sixth Man
And1: 1,069

Post#1896 » by KumaJG » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:19 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Majority of teams winning this year had sort of offseason while the other teams didn't. Cs are just burnt out and under talented. Media making big deal about this season blows my mind.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,733

Post#1897 » by BK_2020 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:15 pm

At least we didn't give up 3 FRP and 2 swaps to win less....
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#1898 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:22 pm

We've underperformed for a few reasons:

1. No logical replacement for Hayward
2. Kemba can't play B2Bs and until last night it felt like we were 0/20 in those games
3. We've led the league in COVID games lost
4. Short offseason I think left our guys unable to recover and work on their game
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#1899 » by Ernest » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:28 pm

When does Fournier get back? It does look like things are finally starting to come together. With him and Kemba out those line ups with Tatum being the only scorer out there are risky. If he's not hitting we are in trouble. If PP is out there with him he becomes a 2 guard really as Tatum takes the ball up. PP seems to have cooled off a bit, but he is about the only player that gets the ball into the paint a lot to start off plays. This high low thing we are runnning that never gets low is not working well- not sure what we can really do to fix it, but way to many possesions where we never get inside the 3 point line til 5 seconds left in the shot clock.

Nice to see TT back. Kornet, Wagner and (kind of) Tako did a pretty good job, but TT is a million times better.

We don't miss Theis as much as I thouht we would. As a fan and as far as on court production. I like him a lot too.
sportfan6197
Senior
And1: 321

Post#1900 » by sportfan6197 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:24 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:We've underperformed for a few reasons:

1. No logical replacement for Hayward
2. Kemba can't play B2Bs and until last night it felt like we were 0/20 in those games
3. We've led the league in COVID games lost
4. Short offseason I think left our guys unable to recover and work on their game

5-6 on back to backs actually, but 3-6 on B2B's since Kemba has been playing.

B2B games are difficult, but our wins were against CHI, OKC, and last night Knicks.
Losses in b2b against SAC, DET, ATL x2, Memphis,Cleveland.

There's really no reason we should be losing any of those games, with a Split with Atlanta. And all but 1 ATL game was 7 points or less.

All those games we had multiple injuries, but truly believe with Kemba alone we are closer to 31-21 than 26-26. with a 60% winning per

Return to Boston Celtics