HOT TAKE: Aleksej Pokusevski will win the NBA MVP (Within the Next 10 Years)

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Castle Black
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,958

Re: HOT TAKE: Aleksej Pokusevski will win the NBA MVP (Within the Next 10 Years) 

Post#181 » by Castle Black » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:44 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Okc will be a complete international team in two years.
Shai- Canada
Dort- Canada
Jaylen Hoard- France
Theo Maledon - France
Mykhailiuk- Ukraine
Horford- Dominican Republic
Pokusevski- Serbia
Vit Krejci- Czech Republic

Sam Presti used to work for the Spurs and it shows.
Castle Black
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,958

Re: HOT TAKE: Aleksej Pokusevski will win the NBA MVP (Within the Next 10 Years) 

Post#182 » by Castle Black » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:44 pm

The key to his success.

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,487

Post#183 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:58 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:Okc will be a complete international team in two years.
Shai- Canada
Dort- Canada
Jaylen Hoard- France
Theo Maledon - France
Mykhailiuk- Ukraine
Horford- Dominican Republic
Pokusevski- Serbia
Vit Krejci- Czech Republic

OKC dynasty starting 2024.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
bbms
Analyst
And1: 531

Post#184 » by bbms » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:47 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:
Mirotic12 wrote:I watched Pau Gasol when he was a young player in Spain's youth teams and with Barca. He was basically the exact same player Poku is now, only he was bigger, I would say by about 2 inches and 20 pounds, and he was also noticeably more athletic.

As I said, the NBA changed what kind of player Pau was a lot, because back in that time there was still that ridiculous untrue stereotype and false myth that if a 7 footer played that style they were "soft" and a team "couldn't win" with such a big man.

Guess i’ll have to take your word on it. From the highlight reel from before he got to the nba, his post game looks very well developed. Poku has no postgame whatsoever. Pau was definitely WAY more athletic than Poku, though. He’s authoritative in the lane. He’s not all finesse, which Poku is. Pau also averaged no less than 57% FG shooting for FC Barcelona and Poku is at 30% right now for the thunder.

Pau was just a world class tier 1 prospect, the fact he wasnt picked number one is just as much of the joke as Doncic not being picked number one. Pau was insane, overall amazing career, yet he is still very underrated IMO. I would rank Pau way above Pokusevski.

Pau had 21 years on his Draft Day, Poku had 18.
Pretty big difference.
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,188

Post#185 » by Nuntius » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:56 pm

FinnTheHuman wrote:
jake_swivel wrote:
peZt wrote:I love the guy but tbh he's a fake 7 footer cause of his giraffe like neck. Functionally he's closer to 6'10 than 7'

Was gonna argue this, but his wingspan (7’3) and standing reach (9’2) fall in line with 6’10 dudes.

You gotta take into consideration that having your eyes higher can be very helpful. Allows Jokic to see over his defenders for easy assists.

peZt makes a good point. Poku does have a very long neck. Still, though, it helps see over even more people so it's definitely helpful for him.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,845

Post#186 » by Shock Defeat » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:19 pm

Another GREAT trade from the Wolves organization. Traded this dude for James Johnson lmao
IronflagNZ
Ballboy
And1: 31

Post#187 » by IronflagNZ » Thu Apr 8, 2021 11:04 pm

The ability to do all 3 things (shoot, dribble, pass/create) at a HIGH level at 7 FOOT TALL is like, not even once in a generation type player.

There’s been a couple moments where he’s imploded because he managed to get a wide open jumper, but also had an easy assist option and he couldn’t decide what to do lol. 99% other players just don’t have that luxury
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Post#188 » by Mirotic12 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 3:57 am

jake_swivel wrote:Was gonna argue this, but his wingspan (7’3) and standing reach (9’2) fall in line with 6’10 dudes.

The NBA measured Poku's wingspan at 7-4.

Mickey8 wrote:Vasilije Micic is probably going to join Thunder next season, he's one of the top pgs in Europe.

Micic is a very good player, but he's not a point guard. He's a shooting guard.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,118

Post#189 » by God Squad » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:10 am

There's definitely something there with him. Big scoring nights followed by duds. Clearly it's a consistency thing or strength for that matter. But IMO it's Mosses Brown who's been the most consistent even in their bad losses. I don't see MVP in Poku future at all, But I see a nice stretch four with some ball handling duties who's a pretty damn good shot blocker already.
AleksandarN
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,627

Post#190 » by AleksandarN » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:10 am

IronflagNZ wrote:The ability to do all 3 things (shoot, dribble, pass/create) at a HIGH level at 7 FOOT TALL is like, not even once in a generation type player.

God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,118

Post#191 » by God Squad » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:12 am

AleksandarN wrote:
IronflagNZ wrote:The ability to do all 3 things (shoot, dribble, pass/create) at a HIGH level at 7 FOOT TALL is like, not even once in a generation type player.

People steady sleeping on how good this man is.
Goudelock
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,864

Post#192 » by Goudelock » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:26 pm

Devin Booker wrote:Bro.
Juggernaut24
Ballboy
And1: 26

Post#193 » by Juggernaut24 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:57 pm

I always wait to see how the player responds to the other teams game planning for them. It's easy to look good in spurts for young guys or bench guys. But can you do it night in and night out?
sfballa13
Assistant Coach
And1: 928

Post#194 » by sfballa13 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:36 am

God Squad wrote:There's definitely something there with him. Big scoring nights followed by duds. Clearly it's a consistency thing or strength for that matter. But IMO it's Mosses Brown who's been the most consistent even in their bad losses. I don't see MVP in Poku future at all, But I see a nice stretch four with some ball handling duties who's a pretty damn good shot blocker already.

It's clear, at least to me, that 90% of this guy's issues are with his physique and physical fitness/training

He needs at least another 30-40 lbs minimum because playing against guys that are 30-70lbs heavier than you are night in and night out will take its toll and thus he puts up a dud

Interested to hear if any OKC fans know how much weight this guy has put on since draft night?

Maybe he wont be the MVP but if he increases his 3pt % to like 35-37% and puts on 20 lbs before next season there is no way this guy isnt averaging 15 pts with at least 5 boards and 6-10 assists next year
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#195 » by vital_signs » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:09 am

7 feet, 190???????

jesus, i thought i was a skinny guy
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
akidlittle
Sophomore
And1: 116

Post#196 » by akidlittle » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:40 am

He's just the next Thon Maker. Remember couple of years ago KG was promising that Thon Maker will become an MVP?)))
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#197 » by The_Hater » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:54 am

Off the top of my head, Durant, Giannis, Jokic, Embiid. Towns, AD.

So maybe you meant a 6-7 times a generation type player?
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
ROA
Freshman
And1: 29

Post#198 » by ROA » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:38 am

akidlittle wrote:He's just the next Thon Maker. Remember couple of years ago KG was promising that Thon Maker will become an MVP?)))

Don't sleep on Thons age.

What Thon is show to us in 5 NBA seasons? Nothing, absolutely nothing unique.

What is Poku show to us in 2 NBA months? So much unique - he isn't only "long stretch 4-5", he is legit 7 foot PG with decent shot, great handling and abnormal motoric for that size.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#199 » by GregB » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:07 am

Don’t see it. But when you are fielding one of the worst rosters in the league due to tanking. It’s nice to have some hope.
Egg Nog
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,373

Post#200 » by Egg Nog » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:41 am

ROA wrote:
akidlittle wrote:He's just the next Thon Maker. Remember couple of years ago KG was promising that Thon Maker will become an MVP?)))

Don't sleep on Thons age.

What Thon is show to us in 5 NBA seasons? Nothing, absolutely nothing unique.

What is Poku show to us in 2 NBA months? So much unique - he isn't only "long stretch 4-5", he is legit 7 foot PG with decent shot, great handling and abnormal motoric for that size.

I had to check and was surprised to see that Thon Maker was still in the league.

The Cavs? Never would've guessed.

Return to The General Board