ImageImageImage

Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1641 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:35 pm

canman1971 wrote:
LarryBirdsFingr wrote:The Mrs and I finally got ours Tuesday, Pfizer.

No symptoms, just a really sore arm.

Don't be a clown, get vaccinated.

First or second? I get my second April 19th. Morderna though. Wifey got the Pfizer and said the second was worse, but not crippling.

First one. My elderly father got his second with absolutely no issues. Weird how it works.
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 10,926

Post#1642 » by exculpatory » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:24 pm

Glad everybody is getting vaxed!
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#1643 » by Disinformation » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:07 am

Does anyone know how much progress,
if any, has been made testing the vaccines for teenagers and/or children?
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#1644 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:39 am

Canada is so behind in terms of vaccinations since we don’t have any factories that can manufacture vaccines. To make matters worse, I live in a province run by a **** moron. Numerous workers and volunteers who administer the vaccines here have all said the same thing - the government didn’t have a solid plan and everyone is running around with no idea of what their roles and responsibilities are. I’ll be lucky to get my first dose before June. Lol
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#1645 » by exculpatory » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:42 am

Disinformation wrote:Does anyone know how much progress,

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-biontech-announce-positive-topline-results-pivotal

12-16 I think soon

<12 maybe later in the year?
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,311

Post#1646 » by Captain_Caveman » Fri Apr 9, 2021 5:06 am

exculpatory wrote:

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-biontech-announce-positive-topline-results-pivotal

12-16 I think soon

Several counties in California are already open for those 16+ for at least a week now for Pfizer, and 18+ for Moderna/J&J.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,311

Post#1647 » by Captain_Caveman » Fri Apr 9, 2021 5:16 am

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Canada is so behind in terms of vaccinations since we don’t have any factories that can manufacture vaccines. To make matters worse, I live in a province run by a **** moron. Numerous workers and volunteers who administer the vaccines here have all said the same thing - the government didn’t have a solid plan and everyone is running around with no idea of what their roles and responsibilities are. I’ll be lucky to get my first dose before June. Lol

The floodgates are opening, and the horse-trading of very recently-manufactured stockpiles has already started. It appears that the US will end up with 40m doses of AZ that we will not need and may not even be approved for use in the US. 4m of that has already been traded to Mexico and Canada for some of their future reserves.

All countries had to hedge their bets in terms of trying to reserve future stockpiles, but IMO, we are seeing a massive historic success in the rollout and production in both the US and the UK. This will be sure to open up supply in short order on a global basis, and particularly for allied countries like Canada. To quote Hemingway, this is a process of "gradually, then suddenly." My county went from 60+ or certain occupations/health conditions to anyone 16+ in like 10 days.
celtics543
Analyst
And1: 3,078

Post#1648 » by celtics543 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:47 pm

Got to jump the line for mine, had the first last month and getting my 2nd shot today. We may get paid peanuts but being a teacher finally paid off.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#1649 » by cloverleaf » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:08 pm

Per Danny's interview on 98.5, it looks like the C's will be taking a bus ride up to NH within the next two weeks:

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2021/04/09/massachusetts-residents-new-hampshire-vaccine
Disinformation
Starter
And1: 3,076

Post#1650 » by Disinformation » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:30 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
exculpatory wrote:

12-16 I think soon

Several counties in California are already open for those 16+ for at least a week now for Pfizer, and 18+ for Moderna/J&J.

Thanks for the responses, guys. My kid is 14 so I'm glad to hear Pfizer is testing a range she's in.
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2021 Offseason

It's a brave new world. No one knows what's going to happen, least of all me.
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#1651 » by exculpatory » Fri Apr 9, 2021 10:12 pm

Disinformation wrote:
Captain_Caveman wrote:

Thanks for the responses, guys. My kid is 14 so I'm glad to hear Pfizer is testing a range she's in.

Just TODAY, Pfizer requested additional clearance from the FDA to vax 12-16.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Post#1652 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:36 am

If they want to open the schools, the 5-18 cohort needs to be vaccinated, even though (unlike virtually every pandemic in history) young people don't seem yo become seriously ill from Covid-19. It's mystery to me.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#1653 » by cloverleaf » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:31 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:If they want to open the schools, the 5-18 cohort needs to be vaccinated, even though (unlike virtually every pandemic in history) young people don't seem yo become seriously ill from Covid-19. It's mystery to me.

Why? There has been incredibly low transmission from children in school. Vaccines of this type (and still experimental!) would likely do more harm than good for this population.
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#1654 » by exculpatory » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:35 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:If they want to open the schools, the 5-18 cohort needs to be vaccinated, even though (unlike virtually every pandemic in history) young people don't seem yo become seriously ill from Covid-19. It's mystery to me.

Vaccines of this type (and still experimental!) would likely do more harm than good for this population.

VAX in the 12-16 cohort has proven to be inordinately efficacious & safe.
And, in my extremely informed opinion, the ongoing trials in the 5-12 cohort will also be.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#1655 » by cloverleaf » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:41 pm

exculpatory wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Vaccines of this type (and still experimental!) would likely do more harm than good for this population.

And, in my extremely informed opinion, the ongoing trials in the 5-12 cohort will also be.

Ridiculous. Takes years for full safety tests, which is why even for adults what we have are only under "emergency use authorization". And again, there is close to no serious risk for these groups at all.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,757

Post#1656 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:42 pm

cloverleaf wrote:

Why? There has been incredibly low transmission from children in school. Vaccines of this type (and still experimental!) would likely do more harm than good for this population.

Here in Montreal the reopening of schools has been the root of most COVID outbreaks in the city. Kids get infected at school, then bring the virus back home and infect their parents. Teachers and parents have been begging for schooling to be remote but the provincial government insists with its idiotic decisions.

For reference, we (Montreal) have been the epicenter of the pandemic in Canada. So proud.

https://montrealgazette.com/opinion/opinion-premier-legault-teachers-are-real-experts-too
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#1657 » by exculpatory » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:00 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
exculpatory wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Ridiculous. Takes years for full safety tests, which is why even for adults what we have are only under "emergency use authorization". And again, there is close to no serious risk for these groups at all.

Listen up:
1) Transmission to and from kids is indeed increasing. Check out the stats in Michigan.
2) A small but real % of youngsters do indeed become profoundly ill.
3) Herd immunity will not be completely achieved until a reasonable % of the 120 million people in the USA under 18 are VAX.*****
4) It is true that the longer the F/U, the more complete the safety profile - but the likelihood of a safety signal appearing very significantly diminishes over time.

Pfizer will very likely start VAX the 12-16 cohort in the next 1-2 months.
VAX in the 5-12 cohort will likely be approved & begin in the summer.

:D
Be careful with whom you chat, dude.

PS SD is spot on.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,680

Post#1658 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:07 pm

Getting my first dose tomorrow and I could not be more excited. I am hoping everyone else is able to get theirs soon so life can go back to normal, or close to it this summer.
*Insert witty signature here.*
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,603

Post#1659 » by Curmudgeon » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:44 pm

cloverleaf wrote:

Wrong on two counts.
In 1918, the pandemic hit young children the hardest. Millions died
And why would vaccines be safe for adults but not for children? There is no scientific basis for that statement.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,485

Post#1660 » by canman1971 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:07 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Here in Montreal the reopening of schools has been the root of most COVID outbreaks in the city. Kids get infected at school, then bring the virus back home and infect their parents. Teachers and parents have been begging for schooling to be remote but the provincial government insists with its idiotic decisions.

For reference, we (Montreal) have been the epicenter of the pandemic in Canada. So proud.

https://montrealgazette.com/opinion/opinion-premier-legault-teachers-are-real-experts-too

Can you send this to our moron governor Sununu? He's having us go back the week before April vacation. Crazy thing is we get our 2nd poke on the 19th, are remote the 18th and 19th. Our superintendent petitioned to just start May 3rd, after vacation. And he said nope. Even our Ed commissioner thought that was the smart thing. And we are in a college town.

Return to Boston Celtics