ImageImageImage

Fire Brad Stevens.

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Re: Fire Brad Stevens. 

Post#121 » by Ernest » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:38 pm

Brad has been here for 6 years and how many titles does he have? Spoiler alert: It's zero. Most coaches would have at least 5 by now. Time to take out the trash Danny. And then take yourself out too! Only 1 title in 15 years? Most GMs have 20.

This is what you guys sound like.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#122 » by Gomes3PC » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:19 pm

It is clear Brad doesn't know how to extract offensive creativity out of this group of players. That's not to say he can't create a good offense, but with this "set of ingredients" he doesn't have what he needs to build a good one. Now, part of the equation should be Brad needs to look around and take from other smart coaches to see how he can extract more from this group, but I think as big or a bigger part is he needs the right groceries from Ainge.
CeltsfaninDC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,335

Post#123 » by CeltsfaninDC » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:28 pm

I'm old enough to remember when we heard these exact things about..... Doc Rivers. He needed to be fired, he couldn't coach, without Thibs he'd be even worse. And then something magical happened: we got RA and KG and suddenly Doc was a great coach again and they won a ring.

Brad is not the problem here.
LoquaciousLarry
Sophomore
And1: 190

Post#124 » by LoquaciousLarry » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:30 pm

If you did fire Stevens, who would be your choice to replace him?
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,429

Post#125 » by playa-hater » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:41 pm

Ernest Shouldn't you be posting in that positive thread with rainbows ect
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
robdog_5
Veteran
And1: 2,155

Post#126 » by robdog_5 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 9:59 pm

I posted in here early saying maybe they should move in another direction of their not listening to Brad and he's lost the room unless Danny is planning to make major roster adjustments.

The reason I say that is Brad's calling card with Boston has been elite defense. Regardless of the roster turnover he's gotten guys to buy in and compete on that end. I haven't seen that consistently this season. Its not like it's a whole new roster so that was/is concerning. Our last week has been much better there. Are they turning the corner or is it another phase in the up and down season.

Offensively I don't blame Brad much. All of our players are naturally not passers. They've improved some in their careers but Kemba, Jaylen and Jayson (young too) have never been asked to create for others or be the ball movers. It's growing pains and at times they do it but more often than not they revert to what they know as basketball players and that's getting buckets. So we can get better there but I don't think it's lack of creativity or a plan I think it's more lack of execution.

Spoiler your not going to find a better basketball coach than Brad. Just not many out there. Brad would have an elite job within hours. But you do have to find someone who is going to reach the players. If you think Brad isn't that guy then you eventually have to move on. I hope they do still trust and listen because honestly he's a great coach.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#127 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:17 pm

robdog_5 wrote:I posted in here early saying maybe they should move in another direction of their not listening to Brad and he's lost the room unless Danny is planning to make major roster adjustments.

The reason I say that is Brad's calling card with Boston has been elite defense. Regardless of the roster turnover he's gotten guys to buy in and compete on that end. I haven't seen that consistently this season. Its not like it's a whole new roster so that was/is concerning. Our last week has been much better there. Are they turning the corner or is it another phase in the up and down season.

Offensively I don't blame Brad much. All of our players are naturally not passers. They've improved some in their careers but Kemba, Jaylen and Jayson (young too) have never been asked to create for others or be the ball movers. It's growing pains and at times they do it but more often than not they revert to what they know as basketball players and that's getting buckets. So we can get better there but I don't think it's lack of creativity or a plan I think it's more lack of execution.

Spoiler your not going to find a better basketball coach than Brad. Just not many out there. Brad would have an elite job within hours. But you do have to find someone who is going to reach the players. If you think Brad isn't that guy then you eventually have to move on. I hope they do still trust and listen because honestly he's a great coach.

Like you said - Brad’s tenure here has brought us some good defensive teams. When we look at the personnel - this team shouldn’t be as bad or sloppy as it is displaying. Kemba has been bad, but let’s remember - the Celtics had some good teams with IT playing heavy minutes. So what has changed? It’s the pandemic, IMO.

I don’t think players are tuning out Brad. I think it’s the opposite, at least for this season. Players aren’t getting a chance to hear Brad’s voice enough. The Celtics usually don’t practice unless there’s a few days off in between games. This year’s schedule is busy, so they don’t have much time to practice at all. And with health and safety protocols, it would be a miracle if all players were present for practice. There was a recent story about NBA teams not being able to practice much. I think the Lakers have only held 5 practices between the start of the season all the way up until All-Star break. 5 practices over 3 months is not a lot. Assuming that the Celtics are at around the same number, you can see how that would hurt the team.

The team is filled with young guys. You can have film sessions to show where guys are supposed to be, where they’re supposed to rotate, but watching films is so much different from actually being in the gym and running drills. As a result, we are seeing some very mediocre defense. Lots of inconsistency as well. If things still look the same next year (assuming that the pandemic is over and things go back to normal), then maybe we can start to assume that players are tuning him out. But right now, I’m willing to give Brad the benefit of doubt.
moonie_mcgee
Starter
And1: 1,794

Post#128 » by moonie_mcgee » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:54 pm

LoquaciousLarry wrote:If you did fire Stevens, who would be your choice to replace him?

Scalabrine. Imo he fits the criteria (coaching, strategic, tactical, experience, communicator, charisma) of an NBA coach.
That's the Way of the World
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#129 » by JediMasterRevan » Thu Apr 8, 2021 11:35 pm

moonie_mcgee wrote:
LoquaciousLarry wrote:If you did fire Stevens, who would be your choice to replace him?

Scalabrine. Imo he fits the criteria (coaching, strategic, tactical, experience, communicator, charisma) of an NBA coach.

Lol
LoquaciousLarry
Sophomore

Post#130 » by LoquaciousLarry » Thu Apr 8, 2021 11:53 pm

moonie_mcgee wrote:

I'd rather rehire Rick Pitino than hire scal
Gomes3PC
General Manager

Post#131 » by Gomes3PC » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:06 am

This should be the first thing folks ask. The players can't coach themselves, so just getting rid of Brad doesn't solve anything.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Post#132 » by Patsfan1081 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:18 am

CeltsfaninDC wrote:I'm old enough to remember when we heard these exact things about..... Doc Rivers. He needed to be fired, he couldn't coach, without Thibs he'd be even worse. And then something magical happened: we got RA and KG and suddenly Doc was a great coach again and they won a ring.

Brad is not the problem here.

Doc didn’t allow his guys to play how ever they felt like, a big reason why he butted heads with guys.m Smart saying he’s going to keep on jacking up shots no matter what anyone says just tells you how lacking a identity is such a problem.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,488

Post#133 » by Patsfan1081 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:20 am

Gomes3PC wrote:

This should be the first thing folks ask. The players can't coach themselves, so just getting rid of Brad doesn't solve anything.

Juwan Howard, Sam Cassell, anyone with a little backbone...Brad’s a great ax’s and O’s guy, does little good though when guys aren’t willing to run the plays though.
Gomes3PC
General Manager

Post#134 » by Gomes3PC » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:32 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:

Juwan Howard, Sam Cassell, anyone with a little backbone...Brad’s a great ax’s and O’s guy, does little good though when guys aren’t willing to run the plays though.

Who's the last team to win a title with a rah rah coach that can't scheme? That sht doesn't work in the NBA.

This team isn't executing because there's no player with innate playmaking skills. Tatum, Brown and Kemba are all scorers, they don't have natural vision/playmaking.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,221

Post#135 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:45 am

When change is needed, it's easier and more prudent to replace the coach than to trade away your young stars for equal value. So yeah, in that regard, Brad could get fired. But in reality, people may be overrating our stars' abilities and readiness to win it all. Try paying attention to what the top-tier stars on other teams have been doing. Tatum and Brown can't even sniff the impact they've been having. Kemba should've been this season's Horford/Hayward in terms of providing veteran star power and stability but he's in fact been a negative on the court. Some other coach could maybe milk 3-5 regular season wins from this group with similar circumstances they went through.

That's one reason why I kinda wanted the Harden trade to push through. Brad hasn't had that type of top talent to work with. And no, Kyrie isn't it. Tatum's not there yet. IT has been the best offensive talent he's had on his rosters, think about that for a second. Even IT wasn't a natural playmaker.

But I'll be cool with a coaching change even though I think Stevens hasn't had a real opportunity to win it all in terms of top-end talent the way Vogel, Lue, Rivers, and Nurse have.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#136 » by cloverleaf » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:06 am

Sam Cassell?

(To go along with KG as a new ownership partner, etc.)
aussie_pride
Junior

Post#137 » by aussie_pride » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:23 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:When change is needed, it's easier and more prudent to replace the coach than to trade away your young stars for equal value. So yeah, in that regard, Brad could get fired. But in reality, people may be overrating our stars' abilities and readiness to win it all. Try paying attention to what the top-tier stars on other teams have been doing. Tatum and Brown can't even sniff the impact they've been having. Kemba should've been this season's Horford/Hayward in terms of providing veteran star power and stability but he's in fact been a negative on the court. Some other coach could maybe milk 3-5 regular season wins from this group with similar circumstances they went through.

That's one reason why I kinda wanted the Harden trade to push through. Brad hasn't had that type of top talent to work with. And no, Kyrie isn't it. Tatum's not there yet. IT has been the best offensive talent he's had on his rosters, think about that for a second. Even IT wasn't a natural playmaker.

But I'll be cool with a coaching change even though I think Stevens hasn't had a real opportunity to win it all in terms of top-end talent the way Vogel, Lue, Rivers, and Nurse have.

Your definitely right about it being easier to replace a coach. The reasons is obviously because players are a much more valuable commodity. However, it is a Catch 22 situation in that while players are your backbone you cannot have them running the team; there needs to be law and order with a central figure running things. Ultimately, that is the key element to any successful team, regardless of the sport.
aussie_pride
Junior

Post#138 » by aussie_pride » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:32 am

Gomes3PC wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:This should be the first thing folks ask. The players can't coach themselves, so just getting rid of Brad doesn't solve anything.

Who's the last team to win a title with a rah rah coach that can't scheme? That sht doesn't work in the NBA.

This team isn't executing because there's no player with innate playmaking skills. Tatum, Brown and Kemba are all scorers, they don't have natural vision/playmaking.

I think part of this has to come back to the coach as well. We have proven in games that we are capable of executing plays and moving the basketball. My issue is that the offensive sets that we are running are too predictable, too easily defended and do not maximise the talents of the players on the team. Ultimately, this has to come back to the coach. Whether or not there are mitigating circumstances, such as the team not being able to practice regularly, is another debate entirely.
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#139 » by moonie_mcgee » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:07 am

JediMasterRevan wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:

Lol

Well I'm no jedi master. So who'd you hire? :-?
I gave you 6 reasons and you'll see add one more: fiery.
You got 3 letters and a smart ass 8-)
moonie_mcgee
Starter

Post#140 » by moonie_mcgee » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:16 am

LoquaciousLarry wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:

I'd rather rehire Rick Pitino than hire scal

I'd rather rehire Rick Pitino too if the Celts collapse this season. Nah I'm kidding but I don't believe for a second that you believe that or you'd say why.

Return to Boston Celtics