Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

guldakot
Rookie
And1: 540

Re: Josh Jackson or Diallo 

Post#21 » by guldakot » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:08 am

Snakebites wrote:
guldakot wrote:
Snakebites wrote:They play different positions, but neither is a starter and they really can't play together- neither of them can shoot well enough for that.

I agree there's no need to choose though, at least not at this time. We're rebuilding, not looking to build a playoff viable roster (yet). Either one has a chance to be an asset.

I personally really don't like Josh Jackson as a player though- I'd be okay with him being gone to be honest. He's just not a guy I believe in to figure it out, seems like a bit of a head case.

My hope is that JJ can eventually turn into a Jordan Clarkson instant offense player off the bench with the added bonus of decent defense.

Diallo on the other hand I firmly believe can be a solid starter+ bordering on allstar level in this league, in the vein of an Oladipo. He has a tremendous distance to go of course, but he looks to have that it factor in terms of both effort and skill, and was trending in the right direction while with OKC. At the very minimum defense alone hes on KCP's level, and could end up being better. He needs to develop his shooting obviously, but he will have plenty of time/opportunity here.

Unless that god-awful 27% from three improves he's not suitable even for that role.

Not necessarily, you don't have to be a 3 point shooter to be instant offense, JJ is very good at driving and drawing fouls. He takes way to many 3s for his skill level, the corner 3 is the only one he should be taking.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,607

Post#22 » by Snakebites » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:18 am

guldakot wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
guldakot wrote:My hope is that JJ can eventually turn into a Jordan Clarkson instant offense player off the bench with the added bonus of decent defense.

Diallo on the other hand I firmly believe can be a solid starter+ bordering on allstar level in this league, in the vein of an Oladipo. He has a tremendous distance to go of course, but he looks to have that it factor in terms of both effort and skill, and was trending in the right direction while with OKC. At the very minimum defense alone hes on KCP's level, and could end up being better. He needs to develop his shooting obviously, but he will have plenty of time/opportunity here.

Unless that god-awful 27% from three improves he's not suitable even for that role.

Not necessarily, you don't have to be a 3 point shooter to be instant offense, JJ is very good at driving and drawing fouls. He takes way to many 3s for his skill level, the corner 3 is the only one he should be taking.

He’s awful at all types of threes at 27 percent. Which might have been acceptable 15 years ago but not anymore.

You don’t have to be Klay Thompson, but you need more than 27 percent unless you’re singularly gifted in other areas. Even a relative non-shooter like Jordan Clarkson still manages 35 percent. Not great by any means but commands at least a little respect out there from opposing defenses. And it’s not just about the extra production/efficiency that even passable 3 point shooting gives you. Spacing is king.
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 137

Post#23 » by kellmellus50 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:56 pm

Dump Cook after the 2nd 10 day contract he's just taking up space.
Southern Piston
Senior
And1: 95

Post#24 » by Southern Piston » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:00 pm

I always wanted us to have a couple hometown kids filling the rotation in winning days, Om hoping he sees the light; becomes more efficient and improves his shooting, I’m fine with chip on his shoulder, it seems like it is what drives him, but that said He is obviously is years behind in where could be be if he would have honed in years ago.
DET_Athletics
Pro Prospect
And1: 213

Post#25 » by DET_Athletics » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:07 pm

Keep Diallo, trade Jackson in the off-season with Okafor, fillers and low picks for Bagley. That's if we end up winning the lottery or getting the 3rd pick.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,848

Post#26 » by tmorgan » Sun Apr 4, 2021 9:16 pm

Jackson may be slightly more talented than Diallo, but the motor, consistency and bbiq difference sway me towards Diallo. Diallo needs a better shot to be a good player. Josh needs a better brain, which I’m guessing is tougher to develop.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#27 » by edmunder_prc » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:43 am

Neither work very well in the modern NBA. They can't shoot. If Ben Simmons is hard to build around and he is a tier below All-Nba talent, how can a team build around Diallo as a starting SG and be a top team?

If your SG can't shoot, you need elite shooting from everyone else.

Saben Lee
Josh Jackson
Diallo
Grant
Plumlee

Those guys were out there together at one point and the Knicks just played zone or crowded the paint.

4 guys who can't shoot is a broken lineup with the athleticism and defenses of the modern NBA.

I like Diallo and Josh Jackson a lot because they play hard, but they are both very flawed players. Josh at least isnt being paid much, what will Diallo think he is worth? Probably a lot more.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#28 » by MotownMadness » Mon Apr 5, 2021 2:47 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:Neither work very well in the modern NBA. They can't shoot. If Ben Simmons is hard to build around and he is a tier below All-Nba talent, how can a team build around Diallo as a starting SG and be a top team?

If your SG can't shoot, you need elite shooting from everyone else.

Saben Lee
Josh Jackson
Diallo
Grant
Plumlee

Those guys were out there together at one point and the Knicks just played zone or crowded the paint.

4 guys who can't shoot is a broken lineup with the athleticism and defenses of the modern NBA.

I like Diallo and Josh Jackson a lot because they play hard, but they are both very flawed players. Josh at least isnt being paid much, what will Diallo think he is worth? Probably a lot more.

Small volume but Diallo has been hitting his 3s here.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#29 » by Billl » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:09 pm

I think both will be back. Weaver has been pretty clear that he wants to bring in great athletes that play hard and let them work on their jumpshots. Obviously, you don't get 10 years to show some improvement, but I think both of them will get a long look. Neither has even had a real off season here to devote to skill development.
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#30 » by vic » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:41 pm

I say keep them both and draft a couple of shooters with athleticism that they can mentor and eventually replace them or push them down in the rotation.

Benedict Mathurin - solid wing
Kessler Edwards - potential 2 way wing
Trey Murphy - 3 point wing

These are guys that all could be available round 2.

If their shot picks up, they get the minutes. If the rookie shooters come in and learn how to play defense, they get the minutes.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
Sort
Rookie
And1: 439

Post#31 » by Sort » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:47 pm

I'm not sure Diallo can be anything but a quality backup because of the lack of outside shooting. It's too easy to gameplan. He might look great against lower end teams, but a two that can't shoot consistently from the outside is a two a that shouldn't be starting in the NBA.
tradez401
Starter
And1: 613

Post#32 » by tradez401 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 7:18 am

I'm keeping both Josh just needs to be consistent with his jumpshot...they both can defend, get rebounds, and slash into the paint why would you get rid one or the other?
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#33 » by Pharaoh » Tue Apr 6, 2021 7:56 am

Long term I don't view either as a full time starter

Assuming we draft Cade, Suggs or Green in 2021 we'd start that guy with Hayes & Bey at the 3.

Diallo & Jackson could both be quality back ups if they improve on certain things though.

I believe Jackson's biggest weakness (poor BBIQ) is harder to fix than Diallo's (shooting) but a lot of that depends on the player and the work they put in.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#34 » by treefi » Fri Apr 9, 2021 3:19 am

This is tough.
foolinc
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#35 » by foolinc » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:40 pm

Pharaoh wrote:Long term I don't view either as a full time starter

Assuming we draft Cade, Suggs or Green in 2021 we'd start that guy with Hayes & Bey at the 3.

Diallo & Jackson could both be quality back ups if they improve on certain things though.

I believe Jackson's biggest weakness (poor BBIQ) is harder to fix than Diallo's (shooting) but a lot of that depends on the player and the work they put in.

Sent from my SM-G781B using RealGM mobile app

This is more or less where I'm at too. Neither Jackson nor Diallo look like full time starters at the moment, however I think that Diallo is a better long term option than Jackson (and not just because of their ages).

I kind of expect the Pistons to take someone like Cade, Suggs or Green in the draft to pair with Hayes with Diallo coming back to be an everyday backup while Jackson will alternate between getting ~25 minutes and DNPs depending on the night.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#36 » by edmunder_prc » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:52 pm

Diallo for that 2027 2nd rounder not looking great.

He's played only 12 games so far, missing a bunch even though Pistons traded for him long before the trade deadline.

Shooting 43.7% from the field.

He's shooting 42% from 3, but its .7/1.6 makes per game. So on that volume, who knows.

Looking at his last 5 games, hes terrible. Like 10-day contract guy.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#37 » by Billl » Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:13 pm

Diallo is 22 yr old athletic freak who has been improving year over year. He's the type of guy rebuilding teams should be taking a flier on. Keep him in town and let him work all off season on his jumper and see where it goes. I don't think anyone is going to open the vault for him as a free agent, so it's a low risk/high reward move.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,303

Post#38 » by Moses ShamMoses » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:17 pm

Diallo looked amazing his first few games in a Pistons uniform. I'm not sure what happened but he's regressed pretty hard. He still has good potential though because we've seen it first hand with our own eyes.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,665

Post#39 » by Invictus88 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:22 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:Diallo for that 2027 2nd rounder not looking great.

He's played only 12 games so far, missing a bunch even though Pistons traded for him long before the trade deadline.

Shooting 43.7% from the field.

He's shooting 42% from 3, but its .7/1.6 makes per game. So on that volume, who knows.

Looking at his last 5 games, hes terrible. Like 10-day contract guy.

Feels suspiciously like Josh Jackson all over again. (Started great but has turned into an inefficient player)
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#40 » by Han Solo » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:45 pm

Both will be on the team next year.

Return to Detroit Pistons