ImageImageImage

Mavs FO can't be this dumb?

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Mavs FO can't be this dumb? 

Post#1 » by Pinkyring » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:30 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/262202/Mavericks-Consider-Jalen-Brunson-Pretty-Much-Untoucable

I really hope this is an exaggeration because Brunson shouldn't be near untouchable, i like him but he's a backup who probably gets overpaid next summer, if you can move him for a starter you absolutely do it
JD45
General Manager
And1: 261

Re: Mavs FO can't be this dumb? 

Post#2 » by JD45 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 10:35 pm

That sounds pretty crazy. I think he is a very useful player and maybe their 3rd best this year. But there are many NBA players I would happily trade him for.
"Government is the great fiction through which everyone endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else"

Frederic Bastiat
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,984

Post#3 » by Apz » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:23 am

Noone trades someone that would be a starter for mavs for jb tho. So for what they realisticly can get for him he is near untouchable
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,815

Post#4 » by dirkforpres » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:54 am

Yeah that’s a BS statement. No way they turn down any available star because Brunson is in the discussion
FIRE JASON KIDD
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,555

Post#5 » by jpengland » Fri Apr 9, 2021 6:29 am

Apz wrote:Noone trades someone that would be a starter for mavs for jb tho. So for what they realisticly can get for him he is near untouchable

Yep.

Value to Dallas far exceeds what we would get in trade for him.

So realistically, yes, he is untouchable.
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#6 » by arkuo » Fri Apr 9, 2021 9:16 am

Cuban is so content with the team just being what it is that I dont see major moves in the offseason. If their plan is to start Brunson alongside Luka, then it wont surprise me to see Donnie pull a "Devin Harris" type of deal and get Dennis Smith Jr back to get scoring off the bench for the league minimum. a 1 or 2 year deal for the minimum is not a bad deal. He cant be worse than Trey Burke. Burke costs more money to keep.
jpengland
Head Coach

Post#7 » by jpengland » Fri Apr 9, 2021 11:04 am

Just for some context. Brunson rankings, 20/21, qualified PGs (including Luka, LeBron and Harden..)

TS% - 2nd in league
WS/48 - 11th
VORP - 22nd
PER - 17th
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,367

Post#8 » by Mavrelous » Fri Apr 9, 2021 11:14 am

And the eye test also confirms it, judging from how this board (the general/trade board, not the Mavs), his reputation is nowhere near the impact he's giving, so it makes sense he's untouchable, you're not getting equal value on a trade.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,917

Post#9 » by arkuo » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:19 pm

Brunson is this generation's Rodrigue Beaubois, if you guys know what I mean.

Cuban will brand him as untouchable thinking his shark tank instincts will make his value shoot through the roof and have 29 other GMs camping outside of the AAC with trade offers for JB. Remember how Beaubois was a "major piece" of young talent included in every Mavs rumor in the 2000s including Shaq trade? Just LOL

Brunson's calling card is his dad is good friends with Carlisle.
jpengland
Head Coach

Post#10 » by jpengland » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:26 pm

arkuo wrote:Brunson is this generation's Rodrigue Beaubois, if you guys know what I mean.

Cuban will brand him as untouchable thinking his shark tank instincts will make his value shoot through the roof and have 29 other GMs camping outside of the AAC with trade offers for JB. Remember how Beaubois was a "major piece" of young talent included in every Mavs rumor in the 2000s including Shaq trade? Just LOL

Brunson's calling card is his dad is good friends with Carlisle.

See above.

Brunsons calling card is that he is a very, very good player.

He's also smart, seems to be a good locker room guy and has improved every year.

If anything, he's the new JJ Barea, but with a much higher ceiling.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#11 » by Mavrelous » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:54 pm

I loved Barea as much as the next guy, and he had big heart and big balls, but Brunson is a much better baskeball player, he has similar skillset + size and strength.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,809

Post#12 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:27 pm

I don't think Brunson with a 15-20M/year contract (too much? Maybe a desperate team could offer that money) is a good bargain... Trade before he gets paid and when is value is high.
BlueSan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#13 » by BlueSan » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:30 pm

Definitely problematic.

10-15 mils max sounds right, it will depend on the playin games
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,554

Post#14 » by Bob8 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:44 pm

My question is different, if they couldn't make better team with Luka+Brunson earning 10 mio, how will now they make a better team with them earning 55?
Captain_Obvious
Lead Assistant
And1: 923

Post#15 » by Captain_Obvious » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:50 pm

They would trade Brunson if the offer is too sweet. But Mavs FO knows point guard position is not a plug'n play position. It takes seasoning and Jalen is ready. You don't give that up for a marginal upgrade.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,809

Post#16 » by 41Dirk41 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 5:11 pm

Bob8 wrote:My question is different, if they couldn't make better team with Luka+Brunson earning 10 mio, how will now they make a better team with them earning 55?

Our cap space isn't fundamental, we learned that the big FAs never come here.

We need trade,trade and trade... Brunson has value.
jpengland
Head Coach

Post#17 » by jpengland » Fri Apr 9, 2021 6:14 pm

:x hi
41Dirk41 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:My question is different, if they couldn't make better team with Luka+Brunson earning 10 mio, how will now they make a better team with them earning 55?

Our cap space isn't fundamental, we learned that the big FAs never come here.

We need trade,trade and trade... Brunson has value.

He also has more value to us than anybody else.

Hes capable of being a starting PG but he doesn't have that star potential which will leave teams choosing him over drafting/chasing a FA. How many teams are looking for a starting PG and would go for Brunson?

OK, so that's a short, or non existant, list.

So you are left with teams wanting him as backup guard. Who's giving you significant value for that? Nobody.

He will likely stay a Maverick unless he's the sweetener in a KP for an all star deal. And even then it would likely be DFS or Maxi who would be moved first (and are more sought after throughout the league).
B8RcDeMktfxC
General Manager
And1: 5,379

Post#18 » by B8RcDeMktfxC » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:26 pm

Let me quote an interesting conversation (from yesterday) from the point of view of this thread about Brunson from the Knicks board on this forum. These are some of the more sane posters (and not the Knicks FO :D ) and .. ok .. it's not long since the Mavs and Knicks played and so Brunson is probably in people's memory, but quite a lot of positive regard for him here. E.g., offering the Mavs their 2023 pick back for Brunson wasn't immediately written off as beyond the pale.

mpharris36 wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
correct, I don't think Lonzo Ball for example fixes our issues especially late in games. He isn't breaking down a defense in the half court in the last two minutes to create for himself or others.

A PG would def be nice...but a #1 option is more important so I agree. A #1 option that is a PG is ideal. So is Lillard available :lol: :lol: :lol:

We can all agree a #1 option would be better then Ball. We do need both a #1 option and a pg. it’s also possible to get both such as Dame as you mentioned. Just hard to do. If a legit #1 option is not available (which doesn’t seem likely) then the next priority should def be upgrade at PG. someone like Ball would even work really well next to Lillard so if by any miracle we get both it would be a positive.

Guys like Derozan or Dipo are good, but aren’t really legit #1 options/best players on a championship types anyway. They are closer to RJ and Randle. No doubt they would help, but financially just expecting them to cost too much and from a fit perspective it’s not great.

Agree but in the case both aren't available I think I would target Brunson more than Ball tbh or a player of that ilk...don't get me wrong Ball will improve the team because he just better then Elf at nearly everything.

I just think I need someone to break down the defense in the half court or we wont solve our current issue...like we are in these games we just can't finish. I don't know if Ball fixes our end of the game issue. He helps for sure during the game just as an improvement over Elf...but when you are talking about investing big big money into a player in RFA to steal him away and an "overpay"...I'm just not sure...we shall see.

Deeeez Knicks's innermost post in the three below is an answer to mpharris36's outermost post above

mpharris36 wrote:
BowlRips wrote:
Deeeez Knicks wrote:
Ball isn't gonna break down the defense and ideally I would want my PG to. But I think we can also give RJ more room to be a facilitator and let him handle the ball more. Love the way he has been improving.

I do like the we would be signing Ball during his prime years and I wouldnt sleep on him improving. Offensively he's gonna do most of his damage from outside but I think thats fine and pairs well with RJ, Randle, Mitch.

Ideally if we are building a contender anyway we are going to have to fill in that missing piece with a #1 primary option anyway who is gonna need the ball.

I would take Brunson too. Just depends on his price vs Ball's price especially since I don't think Dallas would trade him to us for cheap. Maybe if we miss out he would be a good free agent target in '22. I just can't do another season with Elf as our starting PG

To extract Brunson from Dallas I think it's going to require Dallas making a bigger blockbuster type of deal.
For example: Brunson to New York for the Mavs 2023 pick..
Mavs do it to open up their ability to trade the 2022 and 2024 picks in another deal

correct, that is what I think makes sense. Brunson basically tells them he is out next year. So they might as well get something for him...that deal would essentially open up multiple picks for the mavs to trade for another piece.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#19 » by Mavrelous » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:41 pm

That's interesting, though the Mavs are in win now mode, and Brunson is their 3rd best player on the team, their pick isn't very valuable, what's valuable is the ability to do PG13/Harden/Jrue kind of trade where you mortgage your future for a player.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 847

Post#20 » by Teffer10 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:21 am

It's a little crazy for Mavs to consider any player not named Luka "untouchable".
Publicly speaking maybe so, but behind the scenes everyone except Luka is untouchable.
Brunson and nearly any combination of players/picks for Beal or equivalent would absolutely happen.

I wouldn't trade Brunson for mere role players though. He is too critical to our depth at this point.
I don't see the Mavs moving him because they won't get equal value back as many have already stated.

And there is no way in hell I trade him for our pick to NY back.

Return to Dallas Mavericks