ImageImageImageImageImage

2021 49ers offseason

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Re: 2021 49ers offseason 

Post#441 » by wco81 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:33 am

If Kyle thinks his plays are so great that he can run jet sweeps and inside traps all season long, he won't care about arm strength or talent.

But really, give up all those draft assets for Jones?
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 939

Post#442 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:17 am

wco81 wrote:If Kyle thinks his plays are so great that he can run jet sweeps and inside traps all season long, he won't care about arm strength or talent.

That's the issue for me. If we sat at 12 and took Jones, I'd still view it as a reach, but that's inevitable at the QB position. Three firsts and a third is a ton to give up for a guy with below average NFL talent physically.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#443 » by Dodub » Thu Apr 8, 2021 11:40 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
wco81 wrote:If Kyle thinks his plays are so great that he can run jet sweeps and inside traps all season long, he won't care about arm strength or talent.

That's the issue for me. If we sat at 12 and took Jones, I'd still view it as a reach, but that's inevitable at the QB position. Three firsts and a third is a ton to give up for a guy with below average NFL talent physically.

I’m one of Kyle’s biggest supporters, but if this move is for Mac Jones, then it’s an absolutely horrendous move. I would understand if he had elite arm talent to go with whatever it is that they say he does well. He doesn’t have elite arm talent, he has just ol arm talent. He has no athleticism to speak of and worse of all he played at Bama where he had 5 second pockets and surrounded by first rounders.

I really think guys like Steve Young are right when they say that Kyle wants a guy who is more mobile.

Since we can’t get Wilson, I really hope that Trey Lance is the pick.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#444 » by thesack12 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:14 pm

Read on Twitter

This is great news. I honestly can't believe how well free agency has gone for this team. If Blair is healthy (always a concern with this team), he's a solid rotational piece that can line up anywhere on the D-Line. His signing provides even more flexibilty entering the 2nd round of the draft and beyond.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#445 » by thesack12 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:24 pm

Dodub wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

I’m one of Kyle’s biggest supporters, but if this move is for Mac Jones, then it’s an absolutely horrendous move. I would understand if he had elite arm talent to go with whatever it is that they say he does well. He doesn’t have elite arm talent, he has just ol arm talent. He has no athleticism to speak of and worse of all he played at Bama where he had 5 second pockets and surrounded by first rounders.

I really think guys like Steve Young are right when they say that Kyle wants a guy who is more mobile.

Since we can’t get Wilson, I really hope that Trey Lance is the pick.

The truly crazy part is if 9ers don't take Jones at 3 (please don't do it) there is a real chance that Jones falls all the way to Washington at 19 or Chicago at 20.

Say it goes Lawrence/Wilson/Fields, then Pitts goes to Atlanta at 4, Bengals take Sewell at 5, Miami goes WR at 6, then New England trades into 7 to take Lance, its now doubtful Carolina goes QB at 8. If it falls that way and Denver doesn't take Jones (which is possible they don't see him as much of an upgrade on Lock), Jones can easily fall all the way to 19 or 20 as I can definitely envision Jones not being the type of player that GM's feel he is worth giving up future assets to make a move up the board to grab him.

49ers can't have made this move for Jones, they just couldn't have right? He easily could have been available to them if they stayed at 12. Giving up 3 1sts rounders (THREE 1st rounders?) and a 3rd to boot, just to take the 5th best QB prospect in the draft is asinine. Then again they have done some dumb things in the past by getting laser focused on a guy and overpaying to go get him. But surely, they can't be this dumb.... Right?
thesack12
RealGM

Post#446 » by thesack12 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:38 pm

Read on Twitter

Lets go!!!
thesack12
RealGM

Post#447 » by thesack12 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 11:30 pm

Read on Twitter

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/146044-49ers-insider-shocked-details-nate-sudfelds-one-year-deal/

Sudfeld will earn a base salary of $990,000 this year, of which $252,000 is guaranteed, and the quarterback will carry a cap hit of $850,000. ESPN's Field Yates reports that there is $137,500 worth of incentives available.

One of those details from the contract was a bit of a surprise to a 49ers insider — Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports Bay Area. That would be the guaranteed money. It's a significant amount for a player who many assumed might merely be an additional arm for the team's offseason program.

When I first heard of the signing yesterday, I was just like eh whatever its a camp arm signing.

But now I just noticed these nuggets. Really? Would seem to indicate they aren't thrilled with Rosen and this is competition for him. Depending on who they take at 3, that Rosen/Sudfield competition could be for the #2 job. Whatever they do, surely they won't carry 4 QB's, right? These days having 3 on the active roster is too many for most situations, but I could see how having 3 this year is beneficial if the plan is to legit redshirt the rookie.
wco81
RealGM

Post#448 » by wco81 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 11:56 pm

It doesn't matter if they find great players later in the draft.

Kyle will be judged by what the #3 pick does. If he's a bust or if players the team passes over at #3 turn out to be great, Kyle's rep as an offense guru will take a severe hit.

He can't mess it up.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#449 » by GS Warriors 1 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:43 pm

Beginning to look like it's between Fields and Lance for the 49ers, and Mac Jones will likely go in the teens. Same as it ever was...

I think Simms played a huge role in the Jones at 3 talk and people ran with it since Simms and Shanahan are close friends, but that rumor seems to be withering away each day.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#450 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:47 pm

I don't think we can rule out any of the these guys at this point. I hope it isn't Jones, but who knows? I can definitely see why Shanahan might like him.
wco81
RealGM

Post#451 » by wco81 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:48 pm

Someone mentioned that Jones can execute the play action better so Kyle would prefer him for that reason.

Really, the ball handling and then snapping the head around quickly downfield is that hard a skill to master?
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#452 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:01 pm

wco81 wrote:Someone mentioned that Jones can execute the play action better so Kyle would prefer him for that reason.

Really, the ball handling and then snapping the head around quickly downfield is that hard a skill to master?

Yeah, that's been part of my thinking on this. Reading the field, fine. That can take a while and may be something a guy never develops (see: Garoppolo, James). But executing play action? Seems like a few weeks of practice should be sufficient to work that out.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#453 » by Jikkle » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:19 pm

It seems the talking heads are still picking Mac Jones to be the pick but are less certain about it.

Most of the latest now is the 9ers haven't decided yet and are open minded about all 3 which tells me at least they were premature in crowning Mac Jones as the pick because they were playing a game of telephone among themselves or Mac Jones was the 9ers smokescreen all along and now that it's not as needed since the Jets are going QB which almost certainly will be Wilson we're starting to see the real picture. Or the 9ers are 99% sure they are picking Mac Jones but are just playing up the we're undecided card because of that 1% chance they could change their minds.

My complete speculation is that the debate is really between Fields and Lance for them since they are both comparable prospects with their own pros and cons. To me if Mac Jones is the guy than he's the guy and that would be it as you either love him enough to take him or you don't.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#454 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:24 pm

Niners cut TE Chase Harrell. He was always a long shot to make the squad, but he was an intriguing guy with elite measurables. I had hoped he might develop into something. Not a direct link in thought process here, but I really, really hoping Jalen Hurd can actually play football this year....
thesack12
RealGM

Post#455 » by thesack12 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:21 am

Apparently 9ers were interested in Gio Bernard before he signed with the Bucs.

That's interesting, as it appears Kyle still desires a pass catching back. However, IMO both Wilson and Mostert are under-rated pass catchers. That said neither of those guys are really suited for 2 minute drill type situations.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#456 » by thesack12 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:26 am

When I first heard yesterday that Atlanta was signing Cordarelle Patterson, I thought that was a move the 9ers should have looked into. Patterson is an immensely better return man than Richie James, and while he's not a good WR he does offer more positional value there than James does.

However, I just heard that Patterson got $3 mil. Which is more $ than what his role would have been worth here.

Still, I really hope that they address a Richie James replacement at some point in the draft. All James does is leave yards on the field.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#457 » by thesack12 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:54 pm

I'm still all about Rondale Moore in the 2nd round. However, I could easily see them go CB or OL in the 2nd round, plus there is no guarantee Moore would still be on the board then.

If Moore isn't in the cards, I wouldn't mind them looking for their slot receiver later on with Dazz Newsome. He's far from a finished product and might only be used in limited packages next year, but he has experience playing all over the field at multiple positions and would immediately be able to contribute as a return man on special teams. I think he could be a solid pickup in the 5th round or so.

One veteran they could look into to fill the slot/#3 WR role while developing a young guy next season, could be Kenny Stills. I know he's not a great fit for Kyle, but there isn't a whole lot left out there and Stills might be willing to come in on the cheap since he'd be stepping into a very good team and there wouldn't be a whole lot of competition in his way to earn the #3 role, so it would be a decent place for him to try to rehab his value.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#458 » by thesack12 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:47 am

I'm starting to hear increased chatter that Denver getting connected to Jimmy G.

Not sure how legitimate that is, or if its just people connecting the dots that at #9 it seems like Denver will be on the outside looking in trying to get one of the top 4 QB prospects (Lawrence/Wilson/Fields/Lance) however they have the cap space to absorb Jimmy via trade.

I don't love the idea going into next season with a rookie QB (or Rosen or Sudfeld) but if Denver wants to give something like a 3rd this year and a conditional 2nd next year, I'd be pretty tempted to pull the trigger on that.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#459 » by thesack12 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:07 am

I still consider Chicago to be a strong player for a potential Jimmy G trade.

Both their GM and HC are sitting on very hot seats, and they are currently staking their jobs on Andy Dalton. Sitting at #20, they will be out on all of the blue chip QB prospects, and since they are on thin ice I'd think they would be hesitant to make a move up the draft board just to get a rookie QB to ride with this year. While the rookie very well could be a better option than Dalton, it still certainly caps the team's ceiling next season.

So that brings us to Chicago looking for a win now QB, and there is currently no better available option in that mold than Jimmy G. Since the Bears' GM and HC are looking for a big season to save their jobs, I think they would be very open to sending future picks for QB help now. If that type of trade doesn't work out for them, they won't care because they won't be around making those draft picks anyways.

So something like a 2022 2nd + 2023 2nd for Jimmy might be amenable for both sides.

All this said, Chicago has basically no cap space so I'm not sure how they could get a trade done. I assume it would start with Frisco taking back Dalton or Foles for salary relief on Chicago's side, and Frisco would use that guy as the veteran backup to their rookie. However, both of Dalton and Foles would carry decent sized dead cap hits next season even if/when they would get released, so that's obviously not attractive for the 49ers.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 259

Post#460 » by Jikkle » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:26 am

thesack12 wrote:I'm starting to hear increased chatter that Denver getting connected to Jimmy G.

Not sure how legitimate that is, or if its just people connecting the dots that at #9 it seems like Denver will be on the outside looking in trying to get one of the top 4 QB prospects (Lawrence/Wilson/Fields/Lance) however they have the cap space to absorb Jimmy via trade.

I don't love the idea going into next season with a rookie QB (or Rosen or Sudfeld) but if Denver wants to give something like a 3rd this year and a conditional 2nd next year, I'd be pretty tempted to pull the trigger on that.

I'd consider seeing if the Broncos would go for a Jimmy G for Von Miller swap.

Even at his age Miller along with Bosa would be a pretty fearsome pass rush and if Dee Ford can at least be a part time player that can rotate with Bosa and Miller especially to keep them fresh that's be icing on the cake.

Return to San Francisco 49ers