ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! – (Re-signed: 4yrs/$30M)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! 

Post#421 » by cloverleaf » Fri Apr 9, 2021 3:54 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Wes-J wrote:
Scoonie wrote:His lack of explosive athleticism and leaping ability may limit his ability to be a starting NBA point guard, but he's sure going to be a top-flight backup point guard. Like everyone else here, I just love the way he plays.

And the same things were said about Tatum.

VanVleet, Brogdon, Young, Curry doing just fine without acing the athletic traits department.

He's just fine. He's dripping wet with skill. He'll be in the top third in the PG heirarchy for years to come.

Woah. I don't know if I'd go that far. You're saying he's going to be a top 10 PG in the NBA for years to come?

You know how tough it is to be top 10 right now?

1) Curry
2) Doncic
3) Lillard
4) Harden/Irving (Irving is more known as a PG, Harden more known as a SG but their roles are reversed on the nets)
5) Chris Paul
6) Morant
7) Trae Young
8) Westbrook
9) Lamelo Ball
10) De'Aaron Fox
11) Jamal Murray
12) Malcolm Brogdon
13) Lonzo Ball
14) Lowry
15) Collin Sexton
16) Conley
17) Kemba
18) Rubio

Could he correctly run the offense and be a solid scorer, though limited despite his smarts and tenacity on D--as a fifth starter on a championship team? If he develops and settles in correctly, and his other four starters are the Jays, Rob, and Fournier or better, but all plus on D, I think so.

(And I'd project him as likely in the middle third somewhare among PG starters: that's good enough for such a role and my guess as to where he will end up if all goes well. With more experience, he and Rob--Evan is already there--would add much needed BBIQ to the Jays, who struggle in that department.)
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,734

Post#422 » by BK_2020 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:03 pm

PP makes wide open threes and throws lobs to Timelord which literally everyone on the team can do including Jaylen. Is that enough to make him an above-average starting PG? I doubt it.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#423 » by cloverleaf » Fri Apr 9, 2021 5:17 pm

BK_2020 wrote:PP makes wide open threes and throws lobs to Timelord which literally everyone on the team can do including Jaylen. Is that enough to make him an above-average starting PG? I doubt it.

They have mostly been playing him off the ball all year--as opposed to playing to his strengths as a PG.

And yeah, my best case for him is an about average starting PG.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,127

Post#424 » by Hal14 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 6:45 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:PP makes wide open threes and throws lobs to Timelord which literally everyone on the team can do including Jaylen. Is that enough to make him an above-average starting PG? I doubt it.

They have mostly been playing him off the ball all year--as opposed to playing to his strengths as a PG.

Interesting take.

From what I've seen, Pritchard is more like a Seth Curry type. Undersized SG, really good spot up shooter. Below average defender. Only average quickness. Not very explosive/athletic but still good toughness/grittiness.

Both players are SG in a PG's body.

Curry though...since he's an undersized SG, has been a bench player for most of his career, albeit a solid 6th/7th guy. Starting this year for Philly.

Curry is a better shooter than Pritchard (Curry 45% from 3 his first full year in NBA, Pritchard at 40%) and Curry is an inch taller than Pritchard.

What makes you think Pritchard is a natural PG instead of SG?

From what I've seen Pritchard doesn't really have that great of a handle for a PG, not as good in terms of passing/play making, not really a natural floor general - more of a long range bomber. Often struggles to bring the ball up the court against defensive pressure.

Honestly, I think Yam Madar could be a better fit as our PG of the future. From the footage I've seen, Madar is much quicker/more explosive, more athletic, can jump through the roof, much better defender, a bulldog on D, getting steals left and right like a ball hawk, really quick in the open court, much better handle and crafty dribble drive moves to get into the paint / get to the rim, more natural as a floor general/play maker, better at keeping his head up, seeing the whole floor and finding the open man. Shooting 37% from 3 this year, not far off from Pritchard at 40%, and Madar is 3 years younger at age 20 which means he's still. got more room to develop whereas Pritchard pretty is what he is at this point, not as much upside, lower ceiling, plus Madar is 2 inches taller at 6'3. Madar looks on film like Tony parker but with slightly better shooting at that age, much better defense and 1 inch taller.

Madar is trying to get out of his contract and join the Celtics next season. I say you bring him over, let him play in summer league, put him through training camp, play him in preseason and have him and Pritchard battle it out for the backup PG spot to see who will be Kemba's backup next season. Whoever wins, you give them good minutes and try and figure out if that guy can be our PG of the future for when Kemba's contract is up in 2023.

My guess is Madar wins that battle. I'd rather have Tony parker as PG of the future over Seth Curry. But you let them battle it out, because who really knows how Madar will be in the NBA, he's only 20..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#425 » by bucknersrevenge » Fri Apr 9, 2021 6:59 pm

They can sign Madar to a 2-way deal next year and let him learn in Maine for the bulk of the season and then play some with the big club near the end of the year.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,734

Post#426 » by BK_2020 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 7:02 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:They can sign Madar to a 2-way deal next year and let him learn in Maine for the bulk of the season and then play some with the big club near the end of the year.

Highly doubt Madar comes over to sign a 2-way.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#427 » by Hal14 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 7:41 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:They can sign Madar to a 2-way deal next year and let him learn in Maine for the bulk of the season and then play some with the big club near the end of the year.

I don't know.

Maybe it was just marketing hype in this video to try and get him drafted (if so, it worked) but it's very clear in this video that Madar's goal is to play in the NBA.

If he starts next season with his european team, he's stuck there for another year.

But if he comes over and plays G-league next season, then he can literally get called up to the Celtics at any time - he's MUCH closer to his dream/goal of playing in the NBA in this scenario.

And like I said, I think he's got a good shot at beating out Pritchard for the backup PG job next year if he comes over this summer, plays in summer league, plays in training camp and preseason. I think the backup PG job will be his. Especially since rest of this season Madar has more games in Israel playing 35 mins a game, then has Israeli Basketball Premier League playoffs playing 35 mins a game. whereas Pritchard will be playing 15 mins a game for the Celtics. So Madar will be getting in more reps and so more rapid development.

Who knows, maybe they somehow trade Kemba and then go into next season with Madar/Pritchard battling for starting PG and then the other is the backup? I don't see it happening though because 1) no one is gonna want to trade for Kemba and 2) Danny isn't going to be comfortable with Madar/Pritchard as the starting PG, at least not yet.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
poopship
Junior
And1: 607

Post#428 » by poopship » Fri Apr 9, 2021 7:51 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Spoiler:
BK_2020 wrote:

I don't know.

Maybe it was just marketing hype in this video to try and get him drafted (if so, it worked) but it's very clear in this video that Madar's goal is to play in the NBA.

If he starts next season with his european team, he's stuck there for another year.

But if he comes over and plays G-league next season, then he can literally get called up to the Celtics at any time - he's MUCH closer to his dream/goal of playing in the NBA in this scenario.

And like I said, I think he's got a good shot at beating out Pritchard for the backup PG job next year if he comes over this summer, plays in summer league, plays in training camp and preseason. I think the backup PG job will be his. Especially since rest of this season Madar has more games in Israel playing 35 mins a game, then has Euro League playoffs playing 35 mins a game. whereas Pritchard will be playing 15 mins a game for the Celtics. So Madar will be getting in more reps and so more rapid development.

Who knows, maybe they somehow trade Kemba and then go into next season with Madar/Pritchard battling for starting PG and then the other is the backup? I don't see it happening though because 1) no one is gonna want to trade for Kemba and 2) Danny isn't going to be comfortable with Madar/Pritchard as the starting PG, at least not yet.

What club is Yam Madar signing with to play euroleague basketball this season?
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#429 » by GoGreen » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:07 pm

PP doesn't need to be a top flight pg. This league is about bigs and wings. Just be serviceable and were good imo
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#430 » by cloverleaf » Fri Apr 9, 2021 10:19 pm

Hal14 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Interesting take.

From what I've seen, Pritchard is more like a Seth Curry type. Undersized SG, really good spot up shooter. Below average defender. Only average quickness. Not very explosive/athletic but still good toughness/grittiness.

Curry though...since he's an undersized SG, has been a bench player for most of his career, albeit a solid 6th/7th guy. Starting this year for Philly.

Curry is a better shooter than Pritchard (Curry 45% from 3 his first full year in NBA, Pritchard at 40%) and Curry is an inch taller than Pritchard.

From what I've seen Pritchard doesn't really have that great of a handle for a PG, not as good in terms of passing/play making, not really a natural floor general - more of a long range bomber. Often struggles to bring the ball up the court against defensive pressure.

Honestly, I think Yam Madar could be a better fit as our PG of the future. From the footage I've seen, Madar is much quicker/more explosive, more athletic, can jump through the roof, much better defender, a bulldog on D, getting steals left and right like a ball hawk, really quick in the open court, much better handle and crafty dribble drive moves to get into the paint / get to the rim, more natural as a floor general/play maker, better at keeping his head up, seeing the whole floor and finding the open man. Shooting 37% from 3 this year, not far off from Pritchard at 40%, and Madar is 3 years younger at age 20 which means he's still. got more room to develop whereas Pritchard pretty is what he is at this point, not as much upside, lower ceiling, plus Madar is 2 inches taller at 6'3. Madar looks on film like Tony parker but with slightly better shooting at that age, much better defense and 1 inch taller.

Madar is trying to get out of his contract and join the Celtics next season. I say you bring him over, let him play in summer league, put him through training camp, play him in preseason and have him and Pritchard battle it out for the backup PG spot to see who will be Kemba's backup next season. Whoever wins, you give them good minutes and try and figure out if that guy can be our PG of the future for when Kemba's contract is up in 2023.

My guess is Madar wins that battle. I'd rather have Tony parker as PG of the future over Seth Curry. But you let them battle it out, because who really knows how Madar will be in the NBA, he's only 20..

Curry is a career 2.9 assts/36 in the NBA on a 12.5 asst%. PP in college last year had a 31.5 asst%. PP has talked about having to play off the ball his first year in HS, college, and now of course the NBA. But he has taken his past teams to great success as the unquestioned PG.

And it looks to me like his dribble is incredibly strong. He cruises wherever he wants in and out of the paint without picking it up. I would like to see him driving to the basket more than he has, so he must either be afraid to take up too many shots or intimidated by the NBA D down there, though his scoring percentage is good at the basket (and in the midrange and from the 3, of course).

I hope Madar pans out, but I'm not holding my breath for that. Pritchard's got a strong body with some bulk, even though he's not tall or bouncy or especially quick. Madar looks like a little waterbug out there. I think Pritchard is at least as tenacious on D, we've been seeing him against much larger and better competition--and of course he's a better shooter.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#431 » by Hal14 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:07 am

cloverleaf wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Interesting take.

Curry is a career 2.9 assts/36 in the NBA on a 12.5 asst%. PP in college last year had a 31.5 asst%. PP has talked about having to play off the ball his first year in HS, college, and now of course the NBA. But he has taken his past teams to great success as the unquestioned PG.

And it looks to me like his dribble is incredibly strong. He cruises wherever he wants in and out of the paint without picking it up. I would like to see him driving to the basket more than he has, so he must either be afraid to take up too many shots or intimidated by the NBA D down there, though his scoring percentage is good at the basket (and in the midrange and from the 3, of course).

I hope Madar pans out, but I'm not holding my breath for that. Pritchard's got a strong body with some bulk, even though he's not tall or bouncy or especially quick. Madar looks like a little waterbug out there. I think Pritchard is at least as tenacious on D, we've been seeing him against much larger and better competition--and of course he's a better shooter.

All Pritchard has on him is stronger, but that's because he's 3 years older so 3 more years of weight room. And Pritchard only slightly better shooter. Again, the 3 years difference factors in there.

Madar meanwhile 2 inches taller, 3 year younger, quicker off the dribble, better dribble drive moves, more athletic/explosive, better defender, if you've seen enough Madar footage you know he's clearly better defensively, quicker in the open court, more creative with the ball, better passer/playmaker/floor general. Bottom, line, Pritchard is probably not quick enough to be a starting PG, especially with being undersized at only 6'1". Madar is quicker and 2 inches taller with just as much skill, if not more.

Again, we're not going to make any clear cut decisions just based off film. You bring Madar over this summer and let the 2 of them battle it out in summer league, training camp/preseason and see who's better - while at the same time realizing that Madar has higher upside since he's 3 years younger, 2 inches taller and quicker/more athletic/more explosive..
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#432 » by cloverleaf » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:20 am

Hal14 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Interesting take.

All Pritchard has on him is stronger, but that's because he's 3 years older so 3 more years of weight room. And Pritchard only slightly better shooter. Again, the 3 years difference factors in there.

Madar meanwhile 2 inches taller, 3 year younger, quicker off the dribble, better dribble drive moves, more athletic/explosive, better defender, if you've seen enough Madar footage you know he's clearly better defensively, quicker in the open court, more creative with the ball, better passer/playmaker/floor general. Bottom, line, Pritchard is probably not quick enough to be a starting PG, especially with being undersized at only 6'1". Madar is quicker and 2 inches taller with just as much skill, if not more.

Again, we're not going to make any clear cut decisions just based off film. You bring Madar over this summer and let the 2 of them battle it out in summer league, training camp/preseason and see who's better - while at the same time realizing that Madar has higher upside since he's 3 years younger, 2 inches taller and quicker/more athletic/more explosive..

It'd be great if Madar translates that well in the NBA--and I think the first draft and stash that ever worked out for the C's. I don't think the strength difference is just age, but we'll see how Madar does once he faces real competition.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#433 » by Hal14 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:31 am

cloverleaf wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

It'd be great if Madar translates that well in the NBA--and I think the first draft and stash that ever worked out for the C's. I don't think the strength difference is just age, but we'll see how Madar does once he faces real competition.

I think a good part of the strength difference is due to age.

If not, well, the guy many are comparing Madar to is Tony Parker. Parker was rail thin and he's likely gonna be a hall of famer. IMO the quickness/explosiveness/athleticism is more important than the strength.

As far as "real competition" the Israeli league is top 5 in Europe. It's considered far better competition than Pritchard faced in Oregon. Yes, it'll be interesting to see how both guys do in summer league/preseason/training camp next year....that's of course, if Madar can even get over here and out of his Israeli contract..
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#434 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Sat Apr 10, 2021 5:35 am

cloverleaf wrote:

Pps floor is upper echelon backup PG/6th man type, ceiling is top 12 starting pg guard in the league.

Fact not opinion
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,993

Post#435 » by cl2117 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:10 am

cloverleaf wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

Interesting take.

Yeah I don't think Pritchard is Rondo/Rubio or anything, but he fills the role of "natural PG" pretty well. He's solid in both roles, which is obviously advantageous for whatever team has him.

He's got good court vision, he averaged 5 assists a game in college, and his handles are at the very least above average. Think his issue is aggressiveness and control. You saw the other night Jaylen yelling at him to make a play when he had the ball with the shot clock winding down instead of pulling up and passing out of it. He's gotta be more comfortable attacking more often as opposed to just being a spot up shooter, which fits more of the Seth Curry mould. He's got that skillset though, I think it's just having the comfort to take control of a possession and drive the paint, which he's still developing as a rookie.

Madar working out would be amazing, but if he's coming over next year he'll be Maine bound.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#436 » by cloverleaf » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:48 am

That's great if Brown was pushing him to shoot during a game.

All 4 of the team's .400 shooters from the 3 at this point are bench players, including of course Payton, so it's not as if only the starters can shoot. (Only the Jays among the starters are .350+ from beyond the arc.)
Hal14
RealGM

Post#437 » by Hal14 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:53 pm

cl2117 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Interesting take.

Yeah I don't think Pritchard is Rondo/Rubio or anything, but he fills the role of "natural PG" pretty well. He's solid in both roles, which is obviously advantageous for whatever team has him.

He's got good court vision, he averaged 5 assists a game in college, and his handles are at the very least above average. Think his issue is aggressiveness and control. You saw the other night Jaylen yelling at him to make a play when he had the ball with the shot clock winding down instead of pulling up and passing out of it. He's gotta be more comfortable attacking more often as opposed to just being a spot up shooter, which fits more of the Seth Curry mould. He's got that skillset though, I think it's just having the comfort to take control of a possession and drive the paint, which he's still developing as a rookie.

Madar working out would be amazing, but if he's coming over next year he'll be Maine bound.

IMO Madar could beat out Pritchard for the backup PG job if he comes over next season.

Watching this video gets me pumped to see this guy on the Celtics, he could be the next Tony Parker but with better defense and more range on his shot.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#438 » by 31to6 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:04 pm

Ermergersh I love me some YAM but we can’t be comparing him to 8 mile just yet!

8 mile is a made man in this league already.
You love to see it.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#439 » by bucknersrevenge » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:26 pm

Hal14 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Hal14 wrote:All Pritchard has on him is stronger, but that's because he's 3 years older so 3 more years of weight room. And Pritchard only slightly better shooter. Again, the 3 years difference factors in there.

I think a good part of the strength difference is due to age.

If not, well, the guy many are comparing Madar to is Tony Parker. Parker was rail thin and he's likely gonna be a hall of famer. IMO the quickness/explosiveness/athleticism is more important than the strength.

As far as "real competition" the Israeli league is top 5 in Europe. It's considered far better competition than Pritchard faced in Oregon. Yes, it'll be interesting to see how both guys do in summer league/preseason/training camp next year....that's of course, if Madar can even get over here and out of his Israeli contract..

The age and the strength are exactly the reasons why Madar has zero shot at beating out Pritchard next year if he comes over. I don't care what Madar is doing over in the Israeli League. No way that Brad Stevens is going to trust Madar over Pritchard next season. Pritchard's strength which will help him defend in a switchy system and his experience and his shooting give him a SIGNIFICANT edge over Madar in reality and in terms of who Stevens will trust out there, especially on defense. With Madar's frame I already see him getting stuck like flypaper on picks in this NBA. They Jay's have known Pritchard for years even before this season. Don't you think for a second that that doesn't matter either. Maybe he doesn't come over for a 2-way but there's no way that he's more than an end of the bench guy in his first season and way behind Pritchard.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
flintsky21
Sixth Man
And1: 2,781

Post#440 » by flintsky21 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:00 am

A bit worried about his dwindling minutes. He's a shooter and he needs to play to keep his confidence up, and we're going to need him in the playoffs. At this point, TT, Langford, Grant and Payton should be taking up all the bench minutes, with Semi only playing when one of the 9 rotation guys had to miss a game.

Return to Boston Celtics