ImageImageImageImageImage

Around the NBA IV

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Re: Around the NBA IV 

Post#1681 » by and1GS » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:31 pm

David West for the minimum as an 8th man on a team that needed more veteran leadership was definitely a homerun.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#1682 » by Old_Blue » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:33 pm

and1GS wrote:David West for the minimum as an 8th man on a team that needed more veteran leadership was definitely a homerun.

And he stayed multiple years!
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
and1GS
RealGM
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#1683 » by and1GS » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:43 pm

DeMarcus to the Clipps on a 10 day. I feel so awful for how his career has turned out. Did anybody watch him in Houston? What percentage of his old self is he at now? Must be close to 30% if he's barely getting a 10-day.

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
B-King
Rookie
And1: 208

Post#1684 » by B-King » Thu Apr 1, 2021 10:00 pm

and1GS wrote:DeMarcus to the Clipps on a 10 day. I feel so awful for how his career has turned out. Did anybody watch him in Houston? What percentage of his old self is he at now? Must be close to 30% if he's barely getting a 10-day.

At least Houston guaranteed his minimum salary for the year before they cut him. I think he was holding out to play for the best contender for the remainder of the year. Hope the Clippers renew him for the remainder of the year. Dude is hard luck.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#1685 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:38 pm

Jerome Robinson already out of the league, where the Jerry West stans at?
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Post#1686 » by donkeylips » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:04 pm

drafted him right before MPJ also. though he did draft Shai in the same draft class
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#1687 » by wco81 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:17 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:Jerome Robinson already out of the league, where the Jerry West stans at?

And his roster spot may be taken up by ... Jordan Bell!
Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,047

Post#1688 » by Jester_ » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:06 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:Jerome Robinson already out of the league, where the Jerry West stans at?

Jerry West also loved Harry B over Lillard and Drummond IIRC. People attribute way too much to that dude.
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Old_Blue
Starter
And1: 790

Post#1689 » by Old_Blue » Fri Apr 9, 2021 3:31 am

Jester_ wrote:

Jerry West also loved Harry B over Lillard and Drummond IIRC. People attribute way too much to that dude.

The man is literally The Logo. His contributions to the sport are monumental. We were blessed to have him for the time we did. You must be quite accomplished in your own right to refer to Jerry West in such a way.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 851

Post#1690 » by DevinVassell » Fri Apr 9, 2021 4:40 am

Old_Blue wrote:
Jester_ wrote:

The man is literally The Logo. His contributions to the sport are monumental. We were blessed to have him for the time we did. You must be quite accomplished in your own right to refer to Jerry West in such a way.

Big deal.

The mans' silhouette was used back in 1969 during his playing days. It has literally zero to do with his front office or GM abilities...
wco81
RealGM

Post#1691 » by wco81 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 5:42 am

Well Lillard was chosen before Barnes so he wasn't an option for the Warriors, who had just drafted Curry a couple of years before.

Barnes is a much more useful player than Drummond.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#1692 » by KevinMcreynolds » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:52 pm

I’m just busting chops for the he can do no wrong and Bob can do no right crowd. Jerry West is a top 2 exec all time. He also traded up for SGA in that draft and hit a home run. Unfortunately he let Kawhi take over the GM duties and traded him.

Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#1693 » by Warriors Analyst » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:58 pm

Jester_ wrote:

Nah. The truth is a bit more complicated and a bit more damning to West. He actually liked Waiters. TK reported that pre-draft and I didn't read too much into it, assuming that it was West trying to bait a team like Cleveland into taking Waiters early. But in his recent book, Ethan Strauss brings up the Waiters and West connection and verifies it.

As for Barnes, I don't think there's any body of evidence to show that West liked Barnes. If anything, the quotes and articles we have indicate that West really did not like Barnes as a player.

A anecdote I have to that point: I attended the 2012 home opener vs Memphis as part of Golden State of Mind's blog night. One of the nice little gifts from that ticket package was GSOM blog night members woukld have a Q+A with Jerry West postgame. That game turned out to be miserable because Brandon Rush tore his ACL on the ZBo dunk contest. The energy got sucked out of the building. It was the most depressing game I've ever attended, bar none.

After the game, someone asked what the Warriors would do about Rush's injury. West pretty much confirmed that the injury was likely to be season ending and that Barnes would have to play lots of minutes, even though he didn't think he was ready for them. I don't remember exactly what he said, but the implication was that Barnes wasn't ready for the NBA yet.

Flash forward to 2015. From an SI article:

Once Barnes got to the rim, West wanted him shooting the ball underhand." Barnes resisted. “I said, ‘Jerry, I shoot my shots overhand.’ He said that’s why you’re always clanking your layups off the rim. You have no touch. You have to get used to finishing underhanded, with spin on it.”

Flash forward to 2016. I'm paraphrasing two Ethan Strauss quotes he attributes to West:

West on Harrison Barnes' footwork: "his feet are all f--d up."

West on paying Barnes >$20 million a year: smiles, waves, and says in a cheerful voice, "buh bye!"
and1GS
RealGM

Post#1694 » by and1GS » Fri Apr 9, 2021 10:12 pm

I do remember the infamous summer where Harrison stayed at West's house or something. Or maybe he just trained with him. Whatever, but I do remember the footwork quote and thought 'ya that's accurate' :lol:

KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#1695 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:35 am

and1GS wrote:I do remember the infamous summer where Harrison stayed at West's house or something. Or maybe he just trained with him. Whatever, but I do remember the footwork quote and thought 'ya that's accurate' :lol:

It was probably like when Luke went to the Dagobah system to train with Yoda

cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Post#1696 » by cdubbz » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:31 am

Andre Drummond is helping the Lakers so much. WITH AD and Lebron...sheesh. 20 & 11 through 3 against the Nets.

Hate on him all you want but he’s a walking double double.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
wco81
RealGM

Post#1697 » by wco81 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:47 am

Was his first good game wasn’t it?
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,661

Post#1698 » by Coxy » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:34 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
and1GS wrote:I do remember the infamous summer where Harrison stayed at West's house or something. Or maybe he just trained with him. Whatever, but I do remember the footwork quote and thought 'ya that's accurate' :lol:

It was probably like when Luke went to the Dagobah system to train with Yoda

Definitely.

watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,170

Post#1699 » by watch1958 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:56 pm

wco81 wrote:Was his first good game wasn’t it?
His prior game against the Heat was also solid.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#1700 » by Mylie10 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:14 pm

There’s no doubt Drummond is a double double machine. The question has always been does it contribute to winning. Does he give up as much as he’s getting? Debatable.

However.....on the Lakers, when Lebron and AD are healthy it’s a total homerun.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...

Return to Golden State Warriors