ImageImage

Norman Powell to Blazers for GTJ

Moderators: The Sebastian Express, Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem

dkb9696
Bench Warmer
And1: 968

Re: Norman Powell to Blazers for GTJ 

Post#121 » by dkb9696 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 6:53 pm

I love what I have seen from Gary Trent Jr. since he joined the Raptors. I knew he was a nice young prospect, but I am surprised with his defense the most. Norman Powell was a good defender when he was younger, but has fallen off in that regard as his career has progressed. When you factor in that Trent Jr. is almost 6 years younger then Powell and an RFA as opposed to an UFA it is easy to be thrilled with the trade in hindsight. Also, the Raptors get to take a flyer on Hood who in theory could be a rotation piece going forward.

d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#122 » by d-train » Tue Apr 6, 2021 7:09 pm

dkb9696 wrote:I love what I have seen from Gary Trent Jr. since he joined the Raptors. I knew he was a nice young prospect, but I am surprised with his defense the most. Norman Powell was a good defender when he was younger, but has fallen off in that regard as his career has progressed. When you factor in that Trent Jr. is almost 6 years younger then Powell and an RFA as opposed to an UFA it is easy to be thrilled with the trade in hindsight. Also, the Raptors get to take a flyer on Hood who in theory could be a rotation piece going forward.

Hood is a capable scorer/shooter if he has a consistent role in the offense. He lost his role this year and didn't shoot well with fewer and inconsistent opportunities. He is also good posting up smaller player's. He made some big plays for us in the 2018 playoffs.
dkb9696
Bench Warmer

Post#123 » by dkb9696 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 7:23 pm

d-train wrote:
dkb9696 wrote:I love what I have seen from Gary Trent Jr. since he joined the Raptors. I knew he was a nice young prospect, but I am surprised with his defense the most. Norman Powell was a good defender when he was younger, but has fallen off in that regard as his career has progressed. When you factor in that Trent Jr. is almost 6 years younger then Powell and an RFA as opposed to an UFA it is easy to be thrilled with the trade in hindsight. Also, the Raptors get to take a flyer on Hood who in theory could be a rotation piece going forward.

Hood is a capable scorer/shooter if he has a consistent role in the offense. He lost his role this year and didn't shoot well with fewer and inconsistent opportunities. He is also good posting up smaller player's. He made some big plays for us in the 2018 playoffs.

Masai Ujiri has has been rumored to have liked Hood for years. I worry about his ability to stay healthy. Injured currently which is concerning. I believe he has a team option for 11 million, so it will be interesting to see if they bring him back as a 8th or 9th man type of role. Are you guys still happy with Powell? It looks like his minutes and shot attempts are down, but that is to be expected playing for a better team and sharing a court with great players in Lillard and McCollum. It looks like he is starting though, which is smart because he falls off a cliff when he comes off the bench for some reason. Threw out his career he has always preformed much better as a starter as opposed as a reserve. Wish you guys luck in the playoffs. The majority of Raptors fans, myself included, are embracing the tank and have adopted the Blazers if you will as our team to root for come playoffs.
dkb9696
Bench Warmer

Post#124 » by dkb9696 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 7:25 pm

dkb9696 wrote:
d-train wrote:

Masai Ujiri has has been rumored to have liked Hood for years. I worry about his ability to stay healthy. Injured currently which is concerning. I believe he has a team option for 11 million, so it will be interesting to see if they bring him back as a 8th or 9th man type of role. Are you guys still happy with Powell? It looks like his minutes and shot attempts are down, but that is to be expected playing for a better team and sharing a court with great players in Lillard and McCollum. It looks like he is starting though, which is smart because he falls off a cliff when he comes off the bench for some reason. Threw out his career he has always preformed much better as a starter as opposed to as a reserve. Wish you guys luck in the playoffs. The majority of Raptors fans, myself included, are embracing the tank and have adopted the Blazers if you will as our team to root for come playoffs.
d-train
RealGM

Post#125 » by d-train » Tue Apr 6, 2021 7:47 pm

dkb9696 wrote:
d-train wrote:

Masai Ujiri has has been rumored to have liked Hood for years. I worry about his ability to stay healthy. Injured currently which is concerning. I believe he has a team option for 11 million, so it will be interesting to see if they bring him back as a 8th or 9th man type of role. Are you guys still happy with Powell? It looks like his minutes and shot attempts are down, but that is to be expected playing for a better team and sharing a court with great players in Lillard and McCollum. It looks like he is starting though, which is smart because he falls off a cliff when he comes off the bench for some reason. Threw out his career he has always preformed much better as a starter as opposed as a reserve. Wish you guys luck in the playoffs. The majority of Raptors fans, myself included, are embracing the tank and have adopted the Blazers if you will as our team to root for come playoffs.

It looks like your GM is trying to create cap room for a max salary, which means he will waive Hood. The big benefit to Raptors is GTJ's cap hold is only around $2M. Powell's cap hold is 16-17M, which kills your cap room. Your GM knows his stuff.
dkb9696
Bench Warmer

Post#126 » by dkb9696 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 8:10 pm

d-train wrote:
dkb9696 wrote:
d-train wrote:Hood is a capable scorer/shooter if he has a consistent role in the offense. He lost his role this year and didn't shoot well with fewer and inconsistent opportunities. He is also good posting up smaller player's. He made some big plays for us in the 2018 playoffs.

It looks like your GM is trying to create cap room for a max salary, which means he will waive Hood. The big benefit to Raptors is GTJ's cap hold is only around $2M. Powell's cap hold is 16-17M, which kills your cap room. Your GM knows his stuff.

I am not quite sure how a cap hold works or really what it means to be honest. My understanding is that it allows the Raptors to have much more cap space this off season. As a Raptors fan it is important to be realistic and understand how unlikely it would be to sign a max free agent. Ujiri always preaches flexibility though and after a disastrous previous off season I would think if Ujiri stays in Toronto I imagine he will be busy this offseason. I have a feeling he is going to bolt though sadly.
d-train
RealGM

Post#127 » by d-train » Tue Apr 6, 2021 8:42 pm

dkb9696 wrote:
d-train wrote:
dkb9696 wrote:

I am not quite sure how a cap hold works or really what it means to be honest. My understanding is that it allows the Raptors to have much more cap space this off season. As a Raptors fan it is important to be realistic and understand how unlikely it would be to sign a max free agent. Ujiri always preaches flexibility though and after a disastrous previous off season I would think if Ujiri stays in Toronto I imagine he will be busy this offseason. I have a feeling he is going to bolt though sadly.

A cap hold is the cap cost of keeping bird rights to a player. Powell would cost almost $17M to keep. At $2M, you could keep GTJ and have cap room for max or nearly max player. You can possibly have GTJ + a max player. You can't have Powell + a max player.

Nothing is ever certain. The cap room could put you in position to add a major player, or it might not be so useful. There is noway to know what opportunities there will be, if any.

It looks to me like your GM made a great move.
dkb9696
Bench Warmer

Post#128 » by dkb9696 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:14 pm

d-train wrote:
dkb9696 wrote:
d-train wrote:It looks like your GM is trying to create cap room for a max salary, which means he will waive Hood. The big benefit to Raptors is GTJ's cap hold is only around $2M. Powell's cap hold is 16-17M, which kills your cap room. Your GM knows his stuff.

A cap hold is the cap cost of keeping bird rights to a player. Powell would cost almost $17M to keep. At $2M, you could keep GTJ and have cap room for max or nearly max player. You can possibly have GTJ + a max player. You can't have Powell + a max player.

Nothing is ever certain. The cap room could put you in position to add a major player, or it might not be so useful. There is noway to know what opportunities there will be, if any.

Thank you for the explanation. Hopefully it is a win for both organizations and Powell can contribute to a long playoff run. He has certainly has his moments as a Raptors in the playoffs. They would not have won multiple series without what he provided. He is seasoned and I would be shocked if he does not step up again when it matters most.
dkb9696
Bench Warmer

Post#129 » by dkb9696 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:16 pm

dkb9696 wrote:
d-train wrote:
dkb9696 wrote:

Thank you for the explanation. Hopefully it is a win for both organizations and Powell can contribute to a long playoff run. He has certainly had his moments as a Raptors in the playoffs. They would not have won multiple series without what he provided. He is seasoned and I would be shocked if he does not step up again when it matters most.
monopoman
RealGM
And1: 6,221

Post#130 » by monopoman » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:12 am

I still remember 2 years ago when fans from other teams sometimes would claim "some scrub" just went into destroy mode against them. That "scrub" they would talk about 9 times out of 10 was Gary Trent Jr. I always found it very humorous.
d-train
RealGM

Post#131 » by d-train » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:55 pm

I remember 2 years ago GTJ was often referred to as a scrub by Blazers fans here.
HoopsFanAZ
Bench Warmer
And1: 307

Post#132 » by HoopsFanAZ » Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:04 pm

1. It's good that GTJ is appreciated by the Raptors and their fans. He is (or likely could be) a building block for their team. Not a star, necessarily, but one who can be a longer-term fan favorite. How appreciative the team will be comes this summer as an RFA. $$$

2. Powell seems appreciated by the fans, and he's getting the minutes (a slight uptick) and starting with numbers that are slightly down but good. He looks like a keeper.

Where Trent is 5 years younger, it's about the cost long-term. If he takes a 3 year deal (ultimately to prove how good he'll be), it's a win for the Raptors and a major increase in salary for GTJ. If he wants $18+ MM and longer term, that is appreciation. [I was for a CJ trade and a bit of dice rolling with GTJ as his successor. Not as good on O but eventually being good on D. Matthews 2.0 would be good.]

In contrast, Powell should make a CJ trade more comfortable for Olshey and not just because Powell is better than GTJ, now, and in Lillard's prime. Powell won't get CJ money. But I do expect a longer than shorter contract -- 4 years. That will get him to 31 and his last sizable contract.

So, I guess what I'm saying is (1) I want Powell to do really well and enjoy being a Blazer. (2) The Blazers play just below .500 or worse ball (beat the bad, lose to the good) (3) and are in the play-in round of 4. Lose. Lottery pick. (5) Time to make the BIG (SF/PF) trade.

The asset acquisition and asset retention post-LMA by Olshey ENDED when the summer of BAD contracts left Portland. The draft picks, player development, reclamation projects, MLE spending and trades have brought in more talent as the back court duo has become as good as one could hope for. The injuries to the bigs stunted greater, potential success. The D is BAD. Reluctantly being in favor of missing the playoffs in a significant way is not about a tear down. It's about fixing a persistent, structural weakness.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,803

Post#133 » by BlazersBroncos » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:13 pm

So, I guess what I'm saying is (1) I want Powell to do really well and enjoy being a Blazer. (2) The Blazers play just below .500 or worse ball (beat the bad, lose to the good) (3) and are in the play-in round of 4. Lose. Lottery pick. (5) Time to make the BIG (SF/PF) trade.

But who? What SF/PF of comparable talent can we get for CJ?

I still think Tobias is the closest, potentially avaliable swing F that matches CJ for value and contract. But I am unsure Philly wants to make any changes at this moment as they sit 2nd in the East. Like the below mentioned MIL, if they implode in the PO's, maybe there is a chance.

Middleton has a bit more value than CJ, but in addition he is close to Giannis and moving him leaves zero for Milwaukee at SF. Like, no rotation caliber guys to even slide in.

At this point Randle is playing consistently at or above the level of CJ as well, and I dont think NYK would move him for CJ.

I just see very few talent fits that make similar money. We are stuck between a rock and a hard place.
GEE
Starter
And1: 333

Post#134 » by GEE » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:13 am

I posted something weeks ago about really wanting Tobias as a Blazer, and someone pointed out to me just how expensive his contract is. It's pretty huge. Randle would be nice though. ROCO/Randle/Kanter... Nurkic if he can get healthy.

As for Powell, he's either a rental for this season (which is dumb and short-sighted), or you sign him in the off-season, while trying not to overpay for his services and I'm not real confident of that, not happening. He would be a large investment into a player that really doesn't help the already known problem , the defense.

ROCO should be the starting SF IMO, long-term. We could actually start Melo NOW, to fix, or break up the Melo/Kanter problem. Just pull Melo early if he's not hitting his shot. Rotate him with Little and Jones Jr.
Norm2953
RealGM
And1: 1,826

Post#135 » by Norm2953 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:46 am

Portland would be better served with CJ than taking on Tobias' contract. I'm all for moving CJ but unless if
another team like the Knicks were so tired of losing that they would take on CJ's contract in exchange for
XX, swapping CJ for another fat, bloated contract doesn't make any sense.

At this point, it would be a shock if Powell stayed in Portland given he's got no shot at the starting job
next to Dame. He's not going to want to have to match up with Lebron or any of the 6'9 SF's that are
seemingly on every team in the western conference. Likely they will be able to get a fairly large TPE
when Powell signs elsewhere.
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 965

Post#136 » by Waynearchetype » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:26 am

Not sure why you'd tie up more cap in undersized one way players. At least Trent you could have justified was still developing. That said, I'd be shocked if norm doesn't just walk anyways.

Haven't felt this down on the team since Roy got waived.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,135

Post#137 » by wco81 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:40 am

Trent taking off.

Meaningless games for Raptors at this point in the season.

But some teams may notice these games.
JasonStern
RealGM
And1: 3,838

Post#138 » by JasonStern » Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:33 pm

Happy for Trent. Blazers weren't going to CTC to keep him. Losing him in free agency versus at the trade deadline is pretty inconsequential.

Same with Powell if he walks in free agency. Terrible use of assets, especially with Gordon being moved for cheap. But the team's fate for the next few years was sealed when Dame and CJ got extended.

Blazers fans should rewatch the Bucks game. As great as Dame was, Giannis was on another level. And yet to be a true contender, you need two players at that level. Trent and Powell level players are nice to have, but not irreplaceable difference makers.
"You can't go 0-82 without starting 0-3"
- Chauncey Billups
d-train
RealGM

Post#139 » by d-train » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:36 pm

JasonStern wrote:Happy for Trent. Blazers weren't going to CTC to keep him. Losing him in free agency versus at the trade deadline is pretty inconsequential.

Same with Powell if he walks in free agency. Terrible use of assets, especially with Gordon being moved for cheap. But the team's fate for the next few years was sealed when Dame and CJ got extended.

Blazers fans should rewatch the Bucks game. As great as Dame was, Giannis was on another level. And yet to be a true contender, you need two players at that level. Trent and Powell level players are nice to have, but not irreplaceable difference makers.

What is CTC? CTC and quit the obscure acronyms.
d-train
RealGM

Post#140 » by d-train » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:39 pm

Oh, I think I got it, cut the chord.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers